Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Funny how disconnected some developers are from the realities of being a customer instead of a developer. I don't care how something is made. I don't even want to know. If I knew and it was easy, I'd do it myself. Instead, I pay you to figure it out and do it. But if you produce shit and someone else doesn't, I'm not paying you. Do a good job or fuck yourself.

Btw, only people who hate themselves eat Twinkies. Horrible, horrible shit. Ah, that's why you used that example.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
for people who don't use twitter (like me) that's a 15 part post and you can read the rest of his ramblings if you click on "read replies"

destinae vomitus

Educated
This is the natural end result of the huge downward trend that started with Oblivion along with Bethesda's complete inability to actually take criticism, those moronic steam review responses and now Emil finally starting to lose it says it all. Even all the unfortunate kids who grew up with an Xbox 360 and "loved" their games, because they didn't know better, were bound to eventually get a wake-up call and realize how retarded their games and in particular the people behind their design decisions actually are. Starfield's only real differences were that they didn't have a well established universe/setting to piggyback off of (and in turn rape to ruination), so the worldbuilding talents of the "creatives" behind Oblivion and Fallout 3 were all the more plain to see, and there was no proper overworld to mindlessly meander around in, so all you're left to engage with is the oh-so wonderful core content of their games. Which clearly hasn't fundamentally changed, let alone improved, since 2006. And that's without even getting into the expectations that come with a game that's supposed to take place in space, but games are hard to develop guys PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!!

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This is the natural end result of the huge downward trend that started with Oblivion along with Bethesda's complete inability to actually take criticism, those moronic steam review responses and now Emil finallly starting to lose it says it all. Even all the unfortunate kids who grew up with an Xbox 360 and "loved" their games, because they didn't know better, were bound to eventually get a wake-up call and realize how retarded their games and in particular the people behind their design decisions actually are. Starfield's only real differences were that they didn't have a well established universe/setting to piggyback off of (and in turn rape to ruination), so the worldbuilding talents of the "creatives" behind Oblivion and Fallout 3 were all the more plain to see, and there was no proper overworld to mindlessly meander around in, so all you're left to engage with is the oh-so wonderful core content of their games. Which clearly hasn't fundamentally changed, let alone improved, since 2006. And that's without even getting into the expectations that come with a game that's supposed to take place in space, but games are hard to develop guys PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!!
No, shut up. You're not entitled to a quality product just because you gave them money. You get a half-assed product and some excuses about how hard their jobs are. Sure, Emil makes 50x more money than you do, but that doesn't mean he should be held to any kind of standards.

Hellion

Arcane
Literally this meme:

888.jpg

purupuru

Learned
Is there a way to view Emil's full rant without creating a twitter account? I deleted mine about 10 years ago and I'm not going back.
Alright read the whole thing and it said surprisingly little beyond "IT'S HARD TO MAKE VIDEO GAMES!" Thanks for wasting my time again Emil.

Last edited:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was referring to how most types of tumbleweed are native to Russia (and Europe) and basically an invasive species in the Americas.
Mostly of the ones in the united states comes from down south from central america (northern-central mexico) or are native to the midwest desert/prairie plains.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly feel kind of bad for him, but I hope the lukewarm-at-best reaction to Starfield is going to shake him and the rest of the team awake. Getting trampled by Baldur's Gate 3 at every GOTY award should help too. Ideally they'll look at what went right for Larian, look earnestly at what went wrong for them, and then make TES VI one of the best games of their entire career.

I know that what will actually happen is that the only thing they'll take from BG3's success is "we should spend half our budget on mocap" and that TES VI will suck balls and play like something from 2010 but still, hope springs eternal.

Fabulously Optimistic: The post.

They only thing Bethesderp will learn from this is that THE AUDIENCE wants more bear sex, more genital choices at character creation, and every male character to (extremely aggressively) pursue you.

I saw a mudcrab the other day too! Horrible creatures. Let's do some magic tricks together.

I tool an arrow to the knee too. Let's do some magic together.

Etc.

Moink

Cipher
You really think the company that went full steam ahead on a voiced protag for Starfield, before stopping only due to time restraints will ever learn anything from previous mistakes?

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
Fallout 4 came out in 2015, I just want to know what Beth was doing for those 8 years, do they just sit around the office and occasionally make a model or texture without clocking off?

Athena

Educated
Those who can't make it as valued programmers or filmmakers, make it to vidya. It's the bottom of the barrel. And they know it, and this breeds more resentment and entitlement in them.

Just Locus

Educated
It all boils down to something called dynamic form IDs. These are strings of data that Starfield uses to keep track of items in the game. As you move through the game's vast, lonely galaxy, you'll find yourself moving items around, taking gear off of deceased enemies, and leaving behind unwanted space junk. This creates more dynamic form IDs to keep track of what you've done with all your loot. The more there are, the more moving parts your save file has, and, as any coder will tell you, this means there are more ways it can crash.
... I'm getting some serious Oblivion flashbacks, Does anyone remember the A-bomb glitch? Where a variable slowly counts up on your save file, after you reach a certain amount of time in a save file, that variable will reach a value and everything will break.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I do not think developers are to blame for this. They got narrative and gameplay designers above them that make all the bad choices.

Ravielsk

Magister

OH, but irony. The one man from the one studio wholly reliant on modders to make his products worthwhile accusing someone of not understanding game development. People have been digging around and fixing Bethesda's engine and tools for well over two decades, I think they know a little bit more than nothing.

In fact judging by the quality of their latest output I would bet money they know ever so slightly more than Emil does.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Lmao dude should just get a blog.

Twitter also has ways to post really long tweets now, like article length. Although maybe that is just a feature for paid accounts.

In general though, a company that makes a service or product excusing a product or service for being of lower quality than the consumer expected or not meeting the consumer expectations in some other way by saying making the product is hard to do is going to be poorly received by consumers and it is a bad excuse.

A lot of services are hard to provide and a lot of products are hard to make. Consumers don't care. The company needs to better manage consumer expectations of your product if you think there is a decent chance you won't meet those expectations. What makes companies good and stand out is solving those problems to provide good services and products despite the challenges faced.

And what helps restore consumer confidence is acknowledging the problems and having a plan for addressing them. Excuses certainly don't restore consumer confidence.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom