Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
how would you compare the combat to FPS like CoD?
Modern Warfare 2019/MWII have the best feeling guns in a AAA shooter in recent memory but I do like that if I shoot someone with a rifle in Starfield there's a reaction and they kind of stagger and stumble around. Enemies can be bullet sponges to an annoying degree in the early game but I haven't had a problem since I hit level 20 and got some damage perks going and decent rolls on my gear.

Starfield gunplay = 6.5/10 serviceable; much improved ranged combat compared to Fallout 4/76 and it has much better modding potential than Fallout 4
did you get some Powers yet? I think they make combat a bit more fun.

Vic

Savant
It seems like there are more hand-crafted quests in Starfield than in any previous Bethesda game, but that could be one of Todd's little lies :lol:

But from what I've seen, game really seems to be chock full with content and you find quests in unexpected places.

I think exploring the procedural stuff is a waste of time imo.

Starfield procedural generation FAQ​

Q: Which parts of Starfield are created using procedural generation?
A: Most content on planets outside of named cities or quest locations is procedurally generated. This includes generic areas such as Abandoned Mining Platforms, Outposts, and other similar places. When you land on a planet, the game produces a tile with various procedurally generated points of interest, but these tiles don’t interact with each other.

Q: How can I identify hand-crafted content in Starfield?
A: All named locations in Starfield are either partially or entirely hand-crafted. If a location contains narrative content or named NPCs, it’s likely hand-made. Examples of such places are Akila City, Cydonia, and Neon.

Q: Is there a noticeable quality difference between the procedurally generated and hand-crafted content?
A: Yes, while the procedurally-generated content offers variety and exploration, there is a distinct difference in quality and narrative depth compared to hand-crafted locations. The hand-crafted sites typically contain richer stories and narratives, whereas the procedurally generated areas exist without any deeper narrative context.

Vic

Savant
Yeah I'm doing this one now and Torres and Myeong are abominable, not as bad as Cait in FO4 but bad enough that it made me wince a bit.
the worst voice acting is at the end :lol: sounds like it was outsourced for $5 on fiverr

but digging the snowy landscape of that planet, nice OST too.

Holding MMB hides the UI and unlocks free look. Sweet.

A82891D75E1CB6A0F6A24FF42D3DF7B6715EB26B

ind33d

Learned
playercount and twitch views are a useless metric. by definition, the companies venal enough to pay for bots get rewarded for their own criminal behavior while honest people suffer. kind of like earth
:philosoraptor:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Not entirely well known, but developers don't optimize their games, graphics card companies do.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/ex-n...-every-triple-a-games-ship-broken-multi-gpus/

Considering this game supports AMD's upscaler and not DLSS, I'm guessing Nvidia got less time with the source code. But more people have RTX cards, hence poor performance.

ind33d

Learned
It seems like there are more hand-crafted quests in Starfield than in any previous Bethesda game, but that could be one of Todd's little lies :lol:

But from what I've seen, game really seems to be chock full with content and you find quests in unexpected places.

I think exploring the procedural stuff is a waste of time imo.

Starfield procedural generation FAQ​

Q: Which parts of Starfield are created using procedural generation?
A: Most content on planets outside of named cities or quest locations is procedurally generated. This includes generic areas such as Abandoned Mining Platforms, Outposts, and other similar places. When you land on a planet, the game produces a tile with various procedurally generated points of interest, but these tiles don’t interact with each other.

Q: How can I identify hand-crafted content in Starfield?
A: All named locations in Starfield are either partially or entirely hand-crafted. If a location contains narrative content or named NPCs, it’s likely hand-made. Examples of such places are Akila City, Cydonia, and Neon.

Q: Is there a noticeable quality difference between the procedurally generated and hand-crafted content?
A: Yes, while the procedurally-generated content offers variety and exploration, there is a distinct difference in quality and narrative depth compared to hand-crafted locations. The hand-crafted sites typically contain richer stories and narratives, whereas the procedurally generated areas exist without any deeper narrative context.
all modders have to do is use a script extender to fix the procedural generation and leveled lists (cough FCOM) and the game is instantly a 10/10, right

Vic

Savant
all modders have to do is use a script extender to fix the procedural generation and leveled lists (cough FCOM) and the game is instantly a 10/10, right
what do you mean fix? These locations have no content besides enemies and loot, I guess if you wanna shoot stuff up or kill for loot you can do that but it's pretty pointless imo.

better accept a "radiant" bounty quest then and get a few extra space pesos :lol:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
cozier ship mod
The various cabin modules seem to have different variants, with some having more crew or passenger slots. I'm assuming there are bunk and crafting station modules but the names are unclear and there's no preview from what I can tell.

I tried modding an existing ship (Crimson Haunt); I replaced the cockpit in the same spot and suddenly the game told me it was unconnected to the cabin/ramp and couldn't fly. So I think some of the pre-made ships fudge the rules a bit. Or it's just typical busted Bethesda launch stuff.
Different modules (even of the same kind) may have different connector points for possible doors & hatches, you must take it into account when sticking those around.

If anyone has figured out how you can control where it decides to place doors or not, please let me know. One time, after much effort, I finally got a door layout that I was 90% happy with, but then I removed a single porthole (in order to get a couch that was removed to allow the porthole) and this changed the doorway layout to something I didn't like as much. :(

I think the principal at play is that it tries to evenly spread out things that remove things from the base room layout (like doors and portholes) so you don't end up with one room that has too many. So when I removed the porthole, that room wound up being the one it wanted to put another door in, now.

The thing is, not all the connector spots in a room are created equal. Some have to remove interactable furniture; like a kitchen, bed, or bathroom; to allow a door to go there instead, while others just have to remove some wall decoration.

In general, I want to keep as much of the interesting furniture/decoration around while making the space easy to navigate through. But it is hard to do that because:

1.) You can't control door and ladder placement directly.
2.) You don't see the internal layout when editing the ship design. You have to finalize the edit then go back to your ship to check what the internal layout is after your changes. As a result I usually save before editing a ship and have to keep reloading that save to try different ship designs and hope that it puts the doors where I want them.

If anyone has any tips or information on how to better control/manage internal ladder/door layout, I would appreciate it. Because it is the most frustrating aspect of designing a ship.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
what do you mean fix? These locations have no content besides enemies and loot, I guess if you wanna shoot stuff up or kill for loot you can do that but it's pretty pointless imo.

better accept a "radiant" bounty quest then and get a few extra space pesos :lol:

For the mission board quests, I usually stay on the lookout for quests that involve you delivering stuff or transporting people to a system or planet I haven't been to yet.

That is a good way to find settlements you haven't been to before. I recently found the Stroud-Eklund shipyard that way, and have found others in the past.

Last edited:

Ben Zyklon

Educated
I just don't understand why people are apologizing for this game, doesn't even have radiant ai, it doesn't have one of the main characteristics of the latest Bethesda games, and there isn't even a world to explore, everything feels disconnected.

It doesn't have the feeling of a Bethesda game, well, not the good or decent parts at least.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
and there isn't even a world to explore, everything feels disconnected.
there is a galaxy to explore :lol:

if you start doing more quests you will learn more and more about what is going on and learn that it is indeed connected (kind of, I mean they are in space)
There is just way too much loading screens to feel the world like a world, it feels disconnected.
It doesn't have the feeling of a Bethesda game
actually it feels exactly like a Bethesda game once you figure it out.

Just start doing quests like people said in this thread, and collecting your space Dragonborn powers.
Not having radiant AI just makes the whole experience bad, one of the things I liked about Bethesda was their NPC schedules and routines to feel the world alive.

Also how unimaginative and lazy can they be if you are the dragon born in space and people are clapping for this, fanatism is a mental disorder.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
For me a Bethesda game is one with scenery, with a big world you can explore (and be dissapointed along the way, sure) knowing that you will eventually run into some cool little stuff. Bethesda games also all have some really good quest chains in them.. and a crappy overarching plot that's there to get back to once you're bored. I understand the fast travel between worlds but fast travel between landing spots? Between city districts? That just kills the sense of scale and wonder for me.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
For me a Bethesda game is one with scenery, with a big world you can explore (and be dissapointed along the way, sure) knowing that you will eventually run into some cool little stuff. Bethesda games also all have some really good quest chains in them.. and a crappy overarching plot that's there to get back to once you're bored. I understand the fast travel between worlds but fast travel between landing spots? Between city districts? That just kills the sense of scale and wonder for me.

Yeah and not having radiant AI makes the whole thing even worse, if at least NPC'S made the world feel alive like previous games...

Moink

Cipher
I was doing the courier quest for the company trying to open a business on Gagarin and I think I've found the worst voice acting in an AAA gave I've ever heard, I had an actual audible reaction to how bad it was, was so stunned it was in the game I forgot to hit record. It was this guy:
4zxz8o.jpg

But whatever, completed the quest (I'll assume it's procgenned) and went down the road and there's this piglike creature running a bar, she sends me to board a derelict spaceship to collect bottles of expensive wine which seems like your regular fetch quest but it ended up being the most amount of fun I've had in the game so far, the ship is suffering from constant power failures as it breaks up so you are fighting pirates in this constant flux of gravity and zero-g, you can be in the middle of a firefight and suddenly get slammed back down into the ground and you have to use/wait for the power fluctuations to navigate the ship, it might be the first time I've enjoyed combat in a Bethesda game without mods.

Modron

Arcane
With?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom