Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Mortmal

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1716740/discussions/0/3824174193420211822/

39 pages so far. OP is happy because
Anti-Pronouns mods banned, big nexus WIN
Yes thats right, nexus finally came forward and confirmed what i've been saying, Anti pronoun's mods have been banned, and thats just a huge win overall.

Being happy for censorship? Well, bad thing, we can all agree for sure. But it's just the beginning.

Around pages twenty something he basically comes out as a paedo, then also some other join him, and a discussion ensues disputing whether children are sexual objects, it's alright for a 10yo be in relationship with 30yo etc.

Drink a glass of vodka before reading.

EDIT: Oh, and check out OP's profile
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ThePurpleMadness

If you go surfing through the shitshow over there on the Steam forums you will find the same basic thing repeated on every thread.

Person offers opinion, whatever it is. If it does not comport with lefty viewpoints, lefties point & shriek loudly to the "moderators". Instead of rational debate they immediately call for deletion of thread and, hopefully, permanent ban from Steam from the person who engaged in WrongThink™.

This is why the situation is currently unresolvable. Because women, leftists, soy-boys, fags, and all other weak people always follow the same path. Run to the "men with guns" / authority to enforce their will. This is not new, there is significant historical precedent for this. These people would gladly line you up against the wall for wrong think and would cheer your death. Never forget that.
Don't blame leftists; it's something completely different here. These are uneducated people indoctrinated with a globalist agenda. True leftists advocate for worker unions seizing the means of production and fighting for workers' rights, which is absolutely not the case for these people.

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
I'm starting to think that Bethesda prefers retro hairstyles because they can't into hair at all.

Games in the last 15 years IMO have become far too complex. Too much focus diverted to non-essentials like eyelashes, lipstick, tranny/woke bullshit and not enough time to:

i) proper story
ii) proper engaging combat with combat options (see above posts for further detail/suggestions for FPS/RPG)
iii) graphical fidelity that actually makes a difference and makes you go "Wow, i've never see that before. That looks so cool"...
iv) engaging and interesting quests
v) NPC's/companions that you actually like and can relate to in a fantasy setting (what happened to Dwarves????) and that are charming
vi) EDIT: forgot about music. Every great game has at least one or two amazing tracks that really set the mood (SoaSE, HW2, BAK, TOEE, Sekiro off the top of my head)

Employing ~1,000 plus employees to make a piss-poor game is symbolic of the decline of Western culture (was Starfield really outsourced to India??? -:> would explain a lot). Games from the 90's/00's had a tenth of the staffing and were far more engaging story/combat/innovation wise. Even forget about gaming, where is the imagination/interaction in the next novel you've read? I find myself going back to the old faithfuls (Feist/Tolken/Gemmel) because their characters and worldbuilidng actually resonated. Can't say the same for certain other magnum opuses (***BriAN*** cough ***sandErson*** cough cough) that can't condense and just keep me hanging for 1000+ pages before anything actually happens.

There are exceptions to this of course with several good/great games being released over the last 10 years. But for every good/great game released i can count at least 10 that failed to innovate or push the bar.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm starting to think that Bethesda prefers retro hairstyles because they can't into hair at all.

i) proper story
ii) proper engaging combat with combat options (see above posts for further detail/suggestions for FPS/RPG)
iii) graphical fidelity that actually makes a difference and makes you go "Wow, i've never see that before. That looks so cool"...
v) NPC's/companions that you actually like and can relate to in a fantasy setting (what happened to Dwarves????) and that are charming

None of these besides III really make money.

Corps will always choose the path of least resistance to greatest profit.

Well-made products require dedication to craft, talent and even a modicum of passion. For artisty, even more so. None of this will be found in the AAA space.

Old Hans

Arcane
Games in the last 15 years IMO have become far too complex. Too much focus diverted to non-essentials like eyelashes, lipstick, tranny/woke bullshit and not enough time to:
I agree. AAA games seem like they are just treading water. interesting systems take a back seat to graphic tech. "who cares of the police immediately spawn behind me when I break the law, check out these 4k resolution ray traced garbage bags. I can see my reflection!"

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd boycott the game just for this alone.
Maybe you should upgrade.
You're meming, but that's true in my case. However, I'm going to wait out the 40xx gen and skip to the 50xx - next year or 2025.

I've found it's not a bad strategy to upgrade a PC in tandem with console generation cycles. Big game releases are usually in sync with new console iterations, which in turn are in sync with major updates to CPUs and GPUs. I want to build a PC for the next GTA and for the next Witcher game, those are games that will both be demanding and which I'll play for a significant amount of time (over 100 hours).

Ashen_Shugar

Literate

i) proper story

None of these besides III really make money.

Corps will always choose the path of least resistance to greatest profit.

Well-made products require dedication to craft, talent and even a modicum of passion. For artisty, even more so. None of this will be found in the AAA space.

Agree entirely (passion and artistry being sorely absent). But there are exceptions as i mentioned. Thinking here of (non RPG) -> Sins of a Solar Empire (2008) turned RTWP space strat on its head post HW2, Gears Tactics (good evolution on nu-XCOM) although not sure if both of those are AAA? Troika was the last studio i remember to actually innovate and i miss that innovation/daring to do something different immensely (as i am sure do many others).

Even get 3 of the 5 points in my list and you've got a really solid game but sadly as you pointed out its all dedicated to point iii) now -> and the games still look more shit than releases from 5-10 years ago.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The Freestar quests are super dumb.

-Get a mission to hunt down some mercs, they are actually holdouts from the war who feel betrayed by the government. Cool! You can choose to switch sides and join... ha ha ha, no, just shoot them.
-After shooting all their leaders they stop and say "wait don't you want to know the horrible secret behind the attacks?" but still no option to work with them, they just give a slate you can get anyway by killing them.
-One mission involves a merc who checked into a hospital under a fake name, she reprograms the turrets to attack the staff and kills a doctor. No option to tell anyone there's dead staff in the secure ward or alert anyone or have any kind of reaction at all. Just stroll off the station and for all they know you shot the doctors. The bad guy conveniently leaves a note behind with her exact location.
-Turns out the Evil White Businessman (EWBM) was behind it all! What a tweest.
-You go to confront the guy alone with no backup (???) (he's also in the government!)
-Options are arrest or take a bribe. Arrest always resulted in a fight no matter what I did.
-Casually shoot the head of a major shipbuilder and a governor.
-Go back to the Marshal, tell him you shot the governor and CEO of a company based on a note you found on a dead rebel. No other evidence or witnesses provided to back up the claim, but that's still good enough for the Marshal. Get your ranger badge and a free awesome ship.
-Faction complete!

The free ship you get is ridiculous, all ship design level 4 parts but still rank A so anyone can fly it. Better than anything I've even seen available to build. This is something that you really should have had to work up to over many different quests and climbing up through multiple ranks, not just the one and only promotion.

In short, Bethesda being Bethesda.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been playing this on Game Pass and more or less did a bit of side questing, main questing up to getting a few companions, prospecting and exploring a bit and set up an outpost.

I think the bones of a great game are in here. Some of the plot hooks are interesting, the planet exploration and cataloging its flora and fauna, etc. is nice and lends itself well to Bethesda's usual "explore-a-thon" gameplay style. The outpost stuff is... outposty. I'm not much of a builder, but if you were into it in FO4, you'll probably like this too. Fortunately it's completely optional and you could probably complete the game without actually registering it's even an option.

The problem is that nothing is fleshed out enough to make me want to keep going outside of simple inertia. It's like the unholy lovechild of Mass Effect, Fallout, and Cyberpunk, only without alien titties, Fallout's humour and atmosphere, or Cyberpunk's graphics or cyberware. Basically, it ends up feeling like a 6-7/10 game in a time that there are so many other options available and I find that I feel like I'd rather play one of the other titles to scratch a particular itch rather than play in this particular sandbox.

That being said, I think that if they have fairly beefy DLCs as they usually have post-Oblivion, this could really become an excellent game. It might be even with mods, since it feels like it's right on the cusp of being excellent and just barely misses in several ways.

I'm probably going to finish up a quest to see its full resolution and then hang it up for now. Maybe I'll pick up the inevitable GOTY edition sometime down the road.

Last edited:

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Yes thats right, nexus finally came forward and confirmed what i've been saying, Anti pronoun's mods have been banned, and thats just a huge win overall.

Being happy for censorship? Well, bad thing, we can all agree for sure. But it's just the beginning.

Around pages twenty something he basically comes out as a paedo, then also some other join him, and a discussion ensues disputing whether children are sexual objects, it's alright for a 10yo be in relationship with 30yo etc.

If you go surfing through the shitshow over there on the Steam forums you will find the same basic thing repeated on every thread.

Person offers opinion, whatever it is. If it does not comport with lefty viewpoints, lefties point & shriek loudly to the "moderators". Instead of rational debate they immediately call for deletion of thread and, hopefully, permanent ban from Steam from the person who engaged in WrongThink™.

This is why the situation is currently unresolvable. Because women, leftists, soy-boys, fags, and all other weak people always follow the same path. Run to the "men with guns" / authority to enforce their will. This is not new, there is significant historical precedent for this. These people would gladly line you up against the wall for wrong think and would cheer your death. Never forget that.
Don't blame leftists; it's something completely different here. These are uneducated people indoctrinated with a globalist agenda. True leftists advocate for worker unions seizing the means of production and fighting for workers' rights, which is absolutely not the case for these people.

Ahh I remember this one well, "True Communism has never been tried!" Let's kill another 100 million or so, surely we can get it right? Mao, Stalin, etc. were mere amateurs...

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yea, true leftist want to line up CEOs alongsize you at that wall..

Kruyurk

Learned
I agree. AAA games seem like they are just treading water. interesting systems take a back seat to graphic tech. "who cares of the police immediately spawn behind me when I break the law, check out these 4k resolution ray traced garbage bags. I can see my reflection!"
Most AAA games only care about creating an illusion via the graphics, but there are no deep or innovative systems hiding under the fancy graphics. Most normies must assume that if a game looks good, it must also be interesting to play, but these are not correlated.
On the other hand, some indies clearly care about both systems and graphics: an example is Exanima, having both one of the most innovative gameplay in any action RPG but also the most advanced velvet cloth simulation ever (partly a joke, but seriously the game looks really good and substantial efforts go into the graphical quality). Another example is Factorio, top tier in both mechanics and visuals.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
When the normies who said cyberbug is not a real rpg at release are now making threads like this on steam starfield forum. ITS OVER.

stafieldgayfaggotx4cy5.png

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The jig is up Todd even normies cant stand your shitty writing anymore I hated Oblivion but it had 10x better quests than what I saw of starslop.

thejigisup9ei2b.png

Mortmal

Arcane
The Freestar quests are super dumb.

-Get a mission to hunt down some mercs, they are actually holdouts from the war who feel betrayed by the government. Cool! You can choose to switch sides and join... ha ha ha, no, just shoot them.
-After shooting all their leaders they stop and say "wait don't you want to know the horrible secret behind the attacks?" but still no option to work with them, they just give a slate you can get anyway by killing them.
-One mission involves a merc who checked into a hospital under a fake name, she reprograms the turrets to attack the staff and kills a doctor. No option to tell anyone there's dead staff in the secure ward or alert anyone or have any kind of reaction at all. Just stroll off the station and for all they know you shot the doctors. The bad guy conveniently leaves a note behind with her exact location.
-Turns out the Evil White Businessman (EWBM) was behind it all! What a tweest.
-You go to confront the guy alone with no backup (???) (he's also in the government!)
-Options are arrest or take a bribe. Arrest always resulted in a fight no matter what I did.
-Casually shoot the head of a major shipbuilder and a governor.
-Go back to the Marshal, tell him you shot the governor and CEO of a company based on a note you found on a dead rebel. No other evidence or witnesses provided to back up the claim, but that's still good enough for the Marshal. Get your ranger badge and a free awesome ship.
-Faction complete!

The free ship you get is ridiculous, all ship design level 4 parts but still rank A so anyone can fly it. Better than anything I've even seen available to build. This is something that you really should have had to work up to over many different quests and climbing up through multiple ranks, not just the one and only promotion.

In short, Bethesda being Bethesda.
A simple sidequest grants you the razorleaf, one of the best ship too, for nothing as well as mantis gear you will never have to upgrade, far far too easily.

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
When the normies who said cyberbug is not a real rpg at release are now making threads like this on steam starfield forum. ITS OVER.

stafieldgayfaggotx4cy5.png

I will play CP2077 when i can actually afford a new graphics card to run it at 1440p at max settings (by which time all the bugs will have been fixed and there will be a plethora of mods to install to make it *great*).

So come on AMD and sell me a 7800xt for the more realistic price of $400 USD (not including price of MOBO, CPU, RAM, new Case and PSU @ $1,600 USD to play a couple of bugged/woke/tranny nu-RPG PC games)??? *crossing fingers and praying*

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
On the other hand, some indies clearly care about both systems and graphics: an example is Exanima, having both one of the most innovative gameplay in any action RPG but also the most advanced velvet cloth simulation ever

Examina would be complete and finished if they stopped adding weird details to the game. One problem with indies who can do whatever they like is that it takes a gazillion years to release because they ended creating realistic systems for cheese-making and whatever.

Dialogue: Stop right there criminal scum!

Eyes: HELP ME.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I thought you guys were fucking around with the Starborn thing but it's literally space Skyrim with you finding Space Word Walls and learning Space Shouts. Incredible. All of them are shit, as well, nothing nearly as empowering feeling as Fus Roh Dah. They all feel shitty and weak and it's not clear what a lot of them even do.
The second dragon shout star power that my character received, meaning the first after the mandatory initial one that affects gravity, replenishes oxygen to maximum and keeps it at maximum for a brief time. This permits my character to sprint around almost the entire time, and is definitely the most useful ability by far, whereas I've hardly ever employed any of the other star powers.

Sarah & Andreja every fourth time I use the oxygen-restoring star power: "Amazing!"

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
The jig is up Todd even normies cant stand your shitty writing anymore I hated Oblivion but it had 10x better quests than what I saw of starslop.

thejigisup9ei2b.png

OMG. Let us rejoice. The masses have awoken from their trance/stupor and have finally seen the light! All praise our Lord the saviour for delivering them from the corporate evil shroud that has become Bethesda!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom