Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stormgate - sci-fi/fantasy RTS from ex-Blizzard devs - now on Early Access

Black

Arcane
Sc5so4m.jpeg

rd87Ru5.jpeg

lol
lamo
This is running on the lowest possible settings, right? RIGHT?
It's running on "we want the non-existent esports starcraft 2 + moba audience" settings.

motherfucker

Educated
I've said before that Stormgate's primary audience is shitters who couldn't handle SC2, well, case in point:
My first instinct was to do a writeup, but as I've read further, I realized that this is just Skill Issue: The Post. Dude couldn't compete in SC2, not even in bronze league, but Stormgate got him covered. And of course the inevitable flop will be blamed on RTS being a dead genre, because RTS fans just not being interested in this piece of crap is completely out of the question, absolutely impossible!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There's never a need to respond to a reddit post. They're mostly brain dead.

At most, copy+paste it somewhere to laugh at it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've said before that Stormgate's primary audience is shitters who couldn't handle SC2, well, case in point:
My first instinct was to do a writeup, but as I've read further, I realized that this is just Skill Issue: The Post. Dude couldn't compete in SC2, not even in bronze league, but Stormgate got him covered. And of course the inevitable flop will be blamed on RTS being a dead genre, because RTS fans just not being interested in this piece of crap is completely out of the question, absolutely impossible!

This guys seems to ignore Sc1 and Sc2 were magnitudes more popular than WC3 which also does not have Starcraft "problems"

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

This guys seems to ignore Sc1 and Sc2 were magnitudes more popular than WC3 which also does not have Starcraft "problems"

Interestingly they kind of have similar sales if one considers the expansions because the sales for Sc2's expansions were so poor while TfT had practically 100% player retention.

Dunno why this was, perhaps it's about wc3s custom game scene or that the expansion was released much closer to the original game, or maybe both.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Interestingly they kind of have similar sales if one considers the expansions because the sales for Sc2's expansions were so poor while TfT had practically 100% player retention.

Dunno why this was, perhaps it's about wc3s custom game scene or that the expansion was released much closer to the original game, or maybe both.

I am talking about MP and esports.
This is Stormgate focus.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
They're rushing to make new skins for the units because of audience backlash.

establish a more rough-and-tumble vibe for the scrappy humans and align their faction more closely with the post-apocalyptic world around them.

The image they attached:

1723327146221.png

Looks like kids' toys. Sometimes I think that game developers are completely detached from reality.

-M-

Learned
Lol, that's exactly how Age of Empires IV is. A good chunk of the pro scene is burnt out SC2 vets. Familiar names that could never break through in tournaments.

Almost all of the AoE2 players that came to AoE4 went back once Microsoft stopped paying them.

Stormgate is really going to be scraping the bottom of the barrell.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't expect much from Stormgate's SP, I am no longer interested in competitive MP so only thing that really interests me is CO-OP. I was hoping they could take SC2 idea and expand upon it into something bigger and better. Once I hear that part is doing well I will try this game.

duke nukem

Augur

Orders of magnitudes more popular...lol...only sc1 was super popular. But Warcraft strategy game series is basically popular as starcraft.

Boxart Missing
WarCraft
Series
Blizzard Entertainment
N/A​
N/A​
N/A​
19.00m​
23rd Nov 94​
21st Mar 20​

Boxart Missing
StarCraft
Series
Blizzard Entertainment
N/A​
N/A​
N/A​
19.10m​

Wow, 19,1 million, instead of 19 million. Orders of magnitudes more popular indeed.. This despite all the e-sports hype. Also if you take out korea, then starcraft 1 and 2 sales would probably be 0,1 million copies. So in reality Warcraft sold 19 million more copies compared to Starcraft.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I think they should’ve made an unofficial reboot of Starcraft rather than this unwieldy diablo/starcraft hybrid. They could’ve not only built on the foundation set by sc’s mechanics, but they could’ve written their story and worldbuilding with the benefit of hindsight and not being shackled to prior stupid continuity.

I’ve checked out Zerospace and it strikes me as mediocre at best. They have (Umojan) Protectorate, not!zerg, not!geth, and generic evil empire. Everything feels so bland, derivative, generic and generally soulless. The planned plot is a ripoff of Mass Effect where you go around the galaxy making “choices.” I’m already uninterested because I already know the consequences of choices will be ignored in sequels, with at most minor changes in how things play out. If they decide not to have to continuity, then I might be interested.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Orders of magnitudes more popular...lol...only sc1 was super popular. But Warcraft strategy game series is basically popular as starcraft.

Boxart Missing
WarCraft
Series
Blizzard Entertainment
N/A​
N/A​
N/A​
19.00m​
23rd Nov 94​
21st Mar 20​

Boxart Missing
StarCraft
Series
Blizzard Entertainment
N/A​
N/A​
N/A​
19.10m​

Wow, 19,1 million, instead of 19 million. Orders of magnitudes more popular indeed.. This despite all the e-sports hype. Also if you take out korea, then starcraft 1 and 2 sales would probably be 0,1 million copies. So in reality Warcraft sold 19 million more copies compared to Starcraft.

let me state it again since fags here have trouble reading. I was talking about MP and esports since that is focus of Stormgate.

And if you want to talk about WC3 sales, take into account probably half of those for Dota, I knew nobody that played WC3 for its ladder, everyone was playing Dota1

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They're rushing to make new skins for the units because of audience backlash.

establish a more rough-and-tumble vibe for the scrappy humans and align their faction more closely with the post-apocalyptic world around them.

The image they attached:

View attachment 53506

Looks like kids' toys. Sometimes I think that game developers are completely detached from reality.

Those are likely the same people that gave us that pointless reskin of Stacraft nobody asked for, Starcraft "cartooned". Let's take a game with one of the best art direction ever and let's turn it into kiddie shit. The modern nu-dev in full display.

motherfucker

Educated
I think they should’ve made an unofficial reboot of Starcraft rather than this unwieldy diablo/starcraft hybrid.
The truth is SC2 is already nearly perfect as it is, there's not much room for improvement, any SC2-like won't deviate sufficiently from the original to justify being a new game, and if it did it wouldn't be an SC2-like anymore. In order to make a successful RTS you gotta deviate real far, like AoE2 did. Another problem with SC2 is that it's old but not quite, I tried to get back into it recently and I just couldn't because at the end of the day it's the same game I've already played for 5 years straight. Yet, it's not old enough to warrant a remake or reimagining or whatever the fuck, because the original is still kicking. Maybe by 2030-ish we'll get SC2 Reconstructed or whatever and I'm gonna play the shit out of it.

-M-

Learned
The truth is SC2 is already nearly perfect as it is, there's not much room for improvement
Plenty of room to go in the opposite direction. Ever since they shuttered the team and left updates to the "balance council" (read: pro players and streamers), they've been slowly digging their own grave. Lots of dumb changes for the sake of justifying their existence.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The truth is SC2 is already nearly perfect as it is, there's not much room for improvement
Maybe the mechanics are perfect, but the story is garbage and needs a reboot. I don’t think a reboot would be enough to fix the problems because they’re so baked into the premise.

Like, the girlboss succubus leading the ugly bugs is a stupid idea, but it’s so baked into the damn IP and probably can’t be scrubbed even with a complete reboot. At least not until a couple generations from now for emotional connections to fade.

I won’t live that long.

motherfucker

Educated
Plenty of room to go in the opposite direction. Ever since they shuttered the team and left updates to the "balance council" (read: pro players and streamers), they've been slowly digging their own grave. Lots of dumb changes for the sake of justifying their existence.
Game balance wasn't well managed under David Kim either due to some bad fundamental design aspects. Unfucking it would require some changes way too drastic even for a DLC. One thing about SC2 is that it's fairly easy to get into; if Blizz could preserve that while avoiding SC2's mistakes they could easily have a banger RTS in 2k24. Oh well.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Free to play went live. Everyone was expecting the reviews to do better and to have more players.

Nope on both counts.

1723652752620.png

1723652772537.png

Ok, I think we can say this thing's dead.

abija

Prophet
Looking at twitch devs didn't seem to have bought any streamer time, so they certainly didn't believe in the game.

-M-

Learned
Seems somewhat foolish to release your 1v1 focused game the same week that the far more polished SC2 is being highlighted by the E-sports World Cup.

If the idea was to poach players, you sort of need your game to look and play far better than the competition.

Also releasing it under the 'Early Access' banner is such a gutless move by Frost Giant.

EDIT: Yeah there are more people (~7K) watching a SC2 tournament on Twitch than playing Stormgate at its peak.

Last edited:

ghardy

Educated
From the Steam page:

“Frost Giant, where many veterans of Blizzard's now-defunct RTS team have banded together, is giving us the closest thing we'll probably ever get to a StarCraft 3 with Stormgate.”

IGN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom