Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter 6

Lucumo

Educated
So apparently to parry multiple hits you just have to hold down the parry buttons. I think this is a terrible choice tbh, and will cheapen the mechanic quite a bit. This was probably decided to create more "wow" moments for spectators, but when you see every nickel and dime Ryu parrying Chun's full super, even though it might look cool the first few times, any impact will be completely gone pretty fast.

Yeah, stated in Max's video at 14:16. Horrible decision indeed, feels like as if nothing in this game will be special anymore. Just everything being grounded to one skill level (like for example with SF5 removing one-frame links) with a very low skill ceiling. This really comes hand in hand with "official" announcers being a thing, trying to make everyone playing this game feel like an "e-sportler".
Absolutely, games with a low skill ceiling don't make for good competitive games. Just look at Starcraft: Brood War, CS 1.6 and SSBM for games with an extremely high skill ceiling (CS 1.6 being the lowest of the bunch). They would have/are lasting forever if not for the companies trying to kill the games to sell some sequel. The newest Smash Bros. title might be popular for a while but they die as soon as a new entry comes along...basically, they are only really capturing the casual audience. CS 1.6 survived CS:S before Valve apparently helped with dying to get CS:GO going which flopped in the beginning. Brood War also easily beats Starcraft 2 with tens of thousands people watching every day, despite Blizzard heavily subsidizing the Starcraft 2 scene (although they have probably stopped by now) and killing the professional BW scene by suing everyone. Third Strike is still more alive than SFIV due to its skill ceiling and well, not having comeback mechanics (not to mention that USFIV is garbage). League of Legends is an example of a casual game being more popular than one with a higher skill ceiling. But that has a lot to do with timing as well as with not requiring some garbage Steam client. While LoL wasn't good in the beginning, it still got kickstarted due to the developers stealing DotA hero designs and illegally sending e-mails to people (it's how I got a closed beta invite). When LoL got better, it profited from the fact that Blizzard was killing the BW scene in South Korea but instead of switching to Starcraft II, a lot just switched to LoL instead. DotA was extremely popular in China and was so even after LoL but since Valve decided to tie DotA 2 to their Steam client, people slowly switched to LoL instead. Same with the SEA regions where DotA and DotA copy HoN were popular for a very long time. So despite not having things like orb priority, creep denying etc, LoL eventually became the biggest MOBA around. And Valve won't ever catch them, considering they have been casualizing DotA 2 for years and their hero design is straight up bad and a lot worse than DotA's. Racing games are also slowly getter bigger for serious competitive gaming but for over 15 years it's been simulation ones and not arcade ones like Gran Turismo and worse. The 2022 Porsche Cup on iracing that ended recently had a 200k prize pool. The Nascar series has 330k in prize money. Games can also somewhat forcefully become a thing but that's due to overwhelming brand strength. It's how Starcraft II got a foothold in the first place but it still lost out in the end. Nevertheless, Blizzard's shooter still seems to be a thing, same with Riot's shooter. A game that I think is genuinely good and has a good skill ceiling is PUBG. And while the mobile version is extremely popular, the PC version could be faring better. Steam requirement, the high system requirements as well as initially costing money really dampened the impact it could have had. Not having a first-person perspective in the beginning also didn't help. As for watching, the lull in the beginning is probably also turning some people off, despite it being of some tactical importance. Also, I might be harping on and on about the Steam client being a requirement but it is actually a serious issue. If not for that, games like Sudden Attack and Crossfire wouldn't exist. And well, the latter is definitely more popular than CS.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So apparently to parry multiple hits you just have to hold down the parry buttons. I think this is a terrible choice tbh, and will cheapen the mechanic quite a bit. This was probably decided to create more "wow" moments for spectators, but when you see every nickel and dime Ryu parrying Chun's full super, even though it might look cool the first few times, any impact will be completely gone pretty fast.

Yeah, stated in Max's video at 14:16. Horrible decision indeed, feels like as if nothing in this game will be special anymore. Just everything being grounded to one skill level (like for example with SF5 removing one-frame links) with a very low skill ceiling. This really comes hand in hand with "official" announcers being a thing, trying to make everyone playing this game feel like an "e-sportler".

Agree, except about 1F links, those are too strict timings for making basic combos.

Pound Meat

Prophet
Yeah, he's wearing a coat that low end is probably like $1500. And his necklace is definitely not dog tags. I could see how someone might think they are when you're just looking at tiny versions of those leaked drawing, but it's clearly just a necklace in the leaked video. The leaked info that got posted on Reddit was clearly just someone looking at the leaked drawing and spinning a story out of it...a story that didn't even match up with the leaked gameplay videos that come at about the same time.

I didn't notice it the first time I was watching it, but in that leaked Cammy gameplay where she's doing her Super Art it's draining the other Cammy's Drive Gauge.

Dat ass!

Too bad Japan finally went woke.

The Parry also uses the Drive Gauge system you need to do a bunch of other stuff, and will put you into a weakened state if you let the meter run out. The implementation of it here seems similar to the Royal Guard in DMC5.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

Agree, except about 1F links, those are too strict timings for making basic combos.

Well, they shouldn't be mandatory for BnB combos, but at least have some characters get additional, and slightly stronger combo enders if you succeed to connect with a 1F link. Evil Ryu from USF4 is a good example. Does a great job with basic combos, but the combos involving 1F links were really driving it home (and looking pretty awesome too).

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher

Wait, am that out of touch did I understand something wrong ? Last SF I played was the 4th, and you parry by using the moving stick in the opposite direction of the attack, timing was irrelevant.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Absolutely, games with a low skill ceiling don't make for good competitive games. Just look at Starcraft: Brood War, CS 1.6 and SSBM for games with an extremely high skill ceiling (CS 1.6 being the lowest of the bunch). They would have/are lasting forever if not for the companies trying to kill the games to sell some sequel. The newest Smash Bros. title might be popular for a while but they die as soon as a new entry comes along...basically, they are only really capturing the casual audience. CS 1.6 survived CS:S before Valve apparently helped with dying to get CS:GO going which flopped in the beginning. Brood War also easily beats Starcraft 2 with tens of thousands people watching every day, despite Blizzard heavily subsidizing the Starcraft 2 scene (although they have probably stopped by now) and killing the professional BW scene by suing everyone. Third Strike is still more alive than SFIV due to its skill ceiling and well, not having comeback mechanics (not to mention that USFIV is garbage). League of Legends is an example of a casual game being more popular than one with a higher skill ceiling. But that has a lot to do with timing as well as with not requiring some garbage Steam client. While LoL wasn't good in the beginning, it still got kickstarted due to the developers stealing DotA hero designs and illegally sending e-mails to people (it's how I got a closed beta invite). When LoL got better, it profited from the fact that Blizzard was killing the BW scene in South Korea but instead of switching to Starcraft II, a lot just switched to LoL instead. DotA was extremely popular in China and was so even after LoL but since Valve decided to tie DotA 2 to their Steam client, people slowly switched to LoL instead. Same with the SEA regions where DotA and DotA copy HoN were popular for a very long time. So despite not having things like orb priority, creep denying etc, LoL eventually became the biggest MOBA around. And Valve won't ever catch them, considering they have been casualizing DotA 2 for years and their hero design is straight up bad and a lot worse than DotA's. Racing games are also slowly getter bigger for serious competitive gaming but for over 15 years it's been simulation ones and not arcade ones like Gran Turismo and worse. The 2022 Porsche Cup on iracing that ended recently had a 200k prize pool. The Nascar series has 330k in prize money. Games can also somewhat forcefully become a thing but that's due to overwhelming brand strength. It's how Starcraft II got a foothold in the first place but it still lost out in the end. Nevertheless, Blizzard's shooter still seems to be a thing, same with Riot's shooter. A game that I think is genuinely good and has a good skill ceiling is PUBG. And while the mobile version is extremely popular, the PC version could be faring better. Steam requirement, the high system requirements as well as initially costing money really dampened the impact it could have had. Not having a first-person perspective in the beginning also didn't help. As for watching, the lull in the beginning is probably also turning some people off, despite it being of some tactical importance. Also, I might be harping on and on about the Steam client being a requirement but it is actually a serious issue. If not for that, games like Sudden Attack and Crossfire wouldn't exist. And well, the latter is definitely more popular than CS.

Bro, paragraphs. Use them.

Lucumo

Educated

Wait, am that out of touch did I understand something wrong ? Last SF I played was the 4th, and you parry by using the moving stick in the opposite direction of the attack, timing was irrelevant.
Are you confusing it with Super Armor?

Bro, paragraphs. Use them.
I tend to. It just didn't make sense anywhere there though.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well, they shouldn't be mandatory for BnB combos, but at least have some characters get additional, and slightly stronger combo enders if you succeed to connect with a 1F link. Evil Ryu from USF4 is a good example. Does a great job with basic combos, but the combos involving 1F links were really driving it home (and looking pretty awesome too).

In that I agree, for insane optimization it´s a good challenge to introduce 1F combos. But keep reasonable combos for non pros without that barrier.

If I´m not mistaken in USF4 there were some basic knockdown 1F link combos in some characters. And for me that was retarded.

Melcar

Arcane
Reminder that Alpha 3 had an insanely underrated soundtrack.

Better than this corny rap/hip hop shit that's here because "lol 3S had rap remember 3S you liked 3S right."

We will never get music like that anymore. All this rap/hiphop shit sounds so out of place in the game.

Also, Chunli skips calf day. Holy shit. Who designs these things?

Latro

Arcane
Guy's impressions is that SF6 is a mix of Alpha 3 and Third Strike, and the biggest departure from SF2 in the series. I think this is a great sign.
It looks like SFV with DRIVE mechanics slapped on it.

A cool thing I didn't know before is that the Drive Bar gets drained by blocking normal attacks, functioning as a kind of guard meter. When you're in the exhausted state (no drive bar) you take extra damage, can take chip damage and you can be stunned. This is also great.

No, that's not great. The system actively discourages offensive play by making EX moves a whopping 2 bars; therefore using 2 EX moves in a row puts you in the danger zone with only a 2 bar guard bar. Normal -> Drive dash is a whopping 3 bars, so if they manage to get the upper-hand you are running into danger zone deficit. Punish counters and blocking lower your guard bar as a well.

On the other hand, parry is 1 bar, possibly refundable, and you can cancel it into a dash cancel for only an extra bar or a focus attack as well. Parry -> cancel full combo -> lvl3 critical art will absolutely be a thing, and it's cheap as well because of how low cost parry is.

Some people defend parries saying...they won't work like parries (???) and you can't parry and punish stuff...but then that means it's just here to fuck over zoners....

Guy's impressions is that SF6 is a mix of Alpha 3 and Third Strike, and the biggest departure from SF2 in the series. I think this is a great sign.

A cool thing I didn't know before is that the Drive Bar gets drained by blocking normal attacks, functioning as a kind of guard meter. When you're in the exhausted state (no drive bar) you take extra damage, can take chip damage and you can be stunned. This is also great.

No, that's not great. The system actively discourages offensive play by making EX moves a whopping 2 bars; therefore using 2 EX moves in a row puts you in the danger zone with only a 2 bar guard bar. Normal -> Drive dash is a whopping 3 bars, so if they manage to get the upper-hand you are running into danger zone deficit. Punish counters and blocking lower your guard bar as a well.

On the other hand, parry is 1 bar, possibly refundable, and you can cancel it into a dash cancel for only an extra bar or a focus attack as well. Parry -> cancel full combo -> lvl3 critical art will absolutely be a thing, and it's cheap as well because of how low cost parry is.

Some people defend parries saying...they won't work like parries (???) and you can't parry and punish stuff...but then that means it's just here to fuck over zoners....
I'm sure the bar values will be tweaked, but I like the general idea (except for auto multihit parries, which suck dick).

The Parry also uses the Drive Gauge system you need to do a bunch of other stuff, and will put you into a weakened state if you let the meter run out. The implementation of it here seems similar to the Royal Guard in DMC5.
Parry uses half of a Drive bar, but you regain a lot of meter (much much more than you spent) when it's a successful parry - especially if it's a multihit parry. In fact, I'd say parries as they are now are more likely to be used specifically to regain Drive meter than anything else.

Capcom trying to manufacture e-sports yet again with SF6 instead of just letting the game spontaneously become about that based on its own strengths/people wanting to play it to such a competitive degree.

I sigh.

This esports shit is really a cancer across all game styles to be honest. Spontaneous gameplay seems to be actively shunned in favour of a more "directed" sort of gameplay. This is part of why SF5 sucked balls, every character felt the same, turns were very obvious and possibilities were homogenized.

I really miss the time when games were much more diverse (albeit frequently broken as shit) and players just came up with ways to deal with bullshit instead of some designed-by-committee solution rained down from above. Now players just sheepisly grind away and wait for the next balance patch or whatever to exploit the next sanctioned op thing (tm), rinse and repeat. Fighting games don't feel organic at all anymore.

Last edited:

How does "blocking uses Drive Gauge" fall under your "this system actively discourages offensive play" points?

I'm sure the bar values will be tweaked, but I like the general idea (except for auto multihit parries, which suck dick).

Parry uses half of a Drive bar, but you regain a lot of meter (much much more than you spent) when it's a successful parry - especially if it's a multihit parry. In fact, I'd say parries as they are now are more likely to be used specifically to regain Drive meter than anything else.

Capcom trying to manufacture e-sports yet again with SF6 instead of just letting the game spontaneously become about that based on its own strengths/people wanting to play it to such a competitive degree.

I sigh.

This esports shit is really a cancer across all game styles to be honest. Spontaneous gameplay seems to be actively shunned in favour of a more "directed" sort of gameplay. This is part of why SF5 sucked balls, every character felt the same, turns were very obvious and possibilities were homogenized.

I really miss the time when games were much more diverse (albeit frequently broken as shit) and players just came up with ways to deal with bullshit instead of some designed-by-committee solution rained down from above. Now players just sheepisly grind away and wait for the next balance patch or whatever to exploit the next sanctioned op thing (tm), rinse and repeat. Fighting games don't feel organic at all anymore.

You're only going to regain a lot off a Parry if you parry a lot of hits.

Like I'm guessing you've seen this video, and it's what you're talking about.

Things to remember about it though:

- You aren't just going to have people doing their Super Art like that while you sit there doing a Parry
- If you sit there holding a Parry waiting for someone to do a move you're just wasting drive Gauge
- Using the Parry on that whole move only gave the person doing the Parry one more bar of Drive Gauge than when they started using it.

I do kind of wonder if getting Drive Gauge back will just be a Perfect Parry thing by the time the game actually comes out, or if how it uses meter will change.

Latro

Arcane

How does "blocking uses Drive Gauge" fall under your "this system actively discourages offensive play" points?
If I have full 6 bars of DRIVE gauge I don't have much to worry about when it comes to playing footsies; however, if I were to play defense with 4 bars or less, all of a sudden I'm in danger of burnout. I have no idea why people believe tying offensive EX moves to the guard bar is a good mechanic.

If I have full 6 bars of DRIVE gauge I don't have much to worry about when it comes to playing footsies; however, if I were to play defense with 4 bars or less, all of a sudden I'm in danger of burnout. I have no idea why people believe tying offensive EX moves to the guard bar is a good mechanic.

But your point was that the new system would actively discourage offensive play. What you're talking about, and how blocking will work in this game will actively discourage defensive play. The new system seems to be built to avoid turtling with normal blocks, and geared toward having players be more on the offensive.

Your also probably going to be using EX moves more under this Drive Gauge system than previous games, because the Drive Gauge will just automatically refill itself pretty fast. You just can't sit their throwing out a bunch of EX moves without thinking about; well, you can, but the game will punish you using your Drive Gauge like that.

Disagree about the Drive system incentivizing EX move use - at least in their current iteration based on the videos I've seen, two whiffed EX moves frequently put the player very close to burnout.

It seems smarter to me to use parry on wakeup instead of an EX reversal, for example - it only costs half a bar with potentially much better rewards. Sure you get fucked if the opponent reads you, but you get double fucked anyway if you waste meter on an EX shoryuken and they read you. Offensively, using EX moves on blockstrings, for example, seems really bad now. I'd bet people would be more conservative about them since they're tied to the do everything/guard bar now.

I've been calling for a guard bar in SF ever since Alpha 3, I think it's a great mechanic. However, I'm not sure if I like it being tied up with offensive options. Anyway, it's a little tiresome conjecturing about all this from videos alone, the majority of which have clueless scrubs playing.

In sum: Gibe beta nao Capcom (fabulously optimistic)

Unfortunately the single player shit feels like a huge mistake and it might severely impact development time for the actual meat of the game.

Disagree about the Drive system incentivizing EX move use - at least in their current iteration based on the videos I've seen, two whiffed EX moves frequently put the player very close to burnout.

It seems smarter to me to use parry on wakeup instead of an EX reversal, for example - it only costs half a bar with potentially much better rewards. Sure you get fucked if the opponent reads you, but you get double fucked anyway if you waste meter on an EX shoryuken and they read you. Offensively, using EX moves on blockstrings, for example, seems really bad now. I'd bet people would be more conservative about them since they're tied to the do everything/guard bar now.

I've been calling for a guard bar in SF ever since Alpha 3, I think it's a great mechanic. However, I'm not sure if I like it being tied up with offensive options. Anyway, it's a little tiresome conjecturing about all this from videos alone, the majority of which have clueless scrubs playing.

In sum: Gibe beta nao Capcom (fabulously optimistic)

Unfortunately the single player shit feels like a huge mistake and it might severely impact development time for the actual meat of the game.

It takes like five seconds to regain the meter it takes to do an EX, there's going to be more EX moves done in this game than in Street Fighter 3, 4, or 5 during matches because you have way more meter than you've ever had in those to do it.

But Drive meter is also a guard break gauge - your opponent isn't just going to wait there until you regain meter, they're going to keep up the offensive once they see you only have 1/3 of the bar left, especially since burning out is such a crippling disadvantage.

In any case, as I said it's all conjecture at this point. Let's see how they tweak the values.

But Drive meter is also a guard break gauge - your opponent isn't just going to wait there until you regain meter, they're going to keep up the offensive once they see you only have 1/3 of the bar left, especially since burning out is such a crippling disadvantage.

In any case, as I said it's all conjecture at this point. Let's see how they tweak the values.

Your original worry was the Drive Gauge would make things too defensive and discourage offensive play, now you're again talking about it encouraging offensive play. My whole original point was that it would encourage offensive play...which it will. You get more Drive Gauge by attacking, and you'll get out of your weakened state faster by attacking. If your low on Drive Gauge the way you get it up faster is by either attacking, or getting a Parry.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I don't know if holding parries is that big of a deal. At least not for some of the cases mentioned here, like parrying lightning legs or Chun's super. Unless it's a perfect parry (which it won't be if you hold the button) you won't get a better reward than just holding down block and punishing. I've seen the mechanic compared to flawless defense from guilty gear.
Now for fireballs it's a different case. I do wonder if you can do some shenanigans against people trying to parry your fireballs by canceling into Drive Rush since parry has 20-something frames of recovery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom