Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok, for anyone having trouble with the warehouse, just cleared it as a shit combat build - the key was the occult altar inside the warehouse - it makes the ghouls fight between themselves. Just avoid em until they kill each other and then just beat the shit out of the survivor.
What altar? I went through the entire warehouse and saw no altar.

Deleted Member 16721

Anyone that says 'not a single bug' about this game is a lying cunt.

Why would I lie? Bugs are subjective, yes they exist but they don't show up for everybody. I also get lucky with bugs, I rarely see them, or I hardly notice them. I didn't see any backwards flying dragons in Skyrim nor many bugs at all in Skyrim. And I haven't seen a single one in Stygian.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sorry but no. The tone of this game is extremely overdramatized. Going mad from seeing a dead horse does not make this game "Lovecraftian".
If you want to criticize, at least make a decent argument. You don't go mad by seeing a a dead horse, it just piles up to many other fucked up shit you see. Lovecraft tales are not "dude is strolling happily along the park, Cthullu appears and makes him go mad". It's all about the weird atmosphere and sense of unease building up to the point it's unbearable.

Deleted Member 16721

If you want to criticize, at least make a decent argument. You don't go mad by seeing a a dead horse, it just piles up to many other fucked up shit you see. Lovecraft tales are not "dude is strolling happily along the park, Cthullu appears and makes him go mad". It's all about the weird atmosphere and sense of unease building up to the point it's unbearable.

Precisely! It's the tense build-up of these elements that makes one go insane, a crawling corpse here, a dead horse there, building up in your psyche over time and haunting you all the while. They nailed that aspect pretty damn well IMO.

Cross

Arcane
Consumable items that come in bottles disappear from your inventory when you use them, which seems like an oversight considering crafting requires empty bottles. They should leave behind an empty bottle when you use them.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry but no. The tone of this game is extremely overdramatized. Going mad from seeing a dead horse does not make this game "Lovecraftian".

Haha, I agree but that is exactly what happens in the game at one point, well almost at least. Replace park with rooftop :)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The fate of the CRPG Fan is to suffer. You guys should know that by now. If it's not terrible AAA crap it's jank-ass no-name games made in Unity.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The tone of this game is extremely overdramatized. Going mad from seeing a dead horse does not make this game "Lovecraftian".

Not going to write volumes about what's obvious. This game has an almost infantile and over the top tone, lacks a sense of measure and is "Lovecraftian" (dumb term) in name only. I'm especially not going to go in depth w/ someone who spams BUY THIS GAME on twitter.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game, and I guess I got the bad ending, or maybe just the Lovecraft! ending. Not sure how many endings there are... but anyway. It was an okay game. Mechanics were not explained properly, running a non-combat character is not recommended. I made it somewhat viable by making my scrawny professor a machete wielding drug fueled maniac, but even then I tried to avoid all of the tedious combat, because well, he still sucked at it.

Spoilers about the last part of the game:

Last part of the game is a slog, story-wise it goes really fast though. The beginning and the middle of the game it is kinda comfy, not too much combat, lots of talking, plot building, etc, but as soon as you reach LSD-street it transform into some kind of Lovecraftian Vietnam. After you have defeated 1 million weirdos everything spirals out of control for your character, even more weird shit happens and then you go mad (my guy was actually relatively sane, but I guess the creator wanted my guy to go mad) - The End. After some more combat of course. Nothing is really explained, just random madness after another and Cthulhu is back and for some reason he took an interest in you, or someone did. I don't really know.

What gets me about the story though, is that like everything else based on Lovecraft, it follows the exact same template like every other game, movie etc that has anything to do with his work. There is Cthulhu, madness, and of course weird cult folk. Same old creatures and so on. I kinda understand why, but to me Lovecraft is more than these things. After a while it feels like you have already read, or played all this before several times.

Oh well.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
This game has an almost infantile and over the top tone, lacks a sense of measure and is "Lovecraftian" (dumb term) in name only. I'm especially not going to go in depth w/ someone who spams BUY THIS GAME on twitter.

As a Keeper of Arcane Lore who runs a Call of Cthulhu game every other Saturday I call bullshit. This game and CoC actually have quite a lot in common. And while yes, the game is cartoonish, it is still Lovecraftian in almost every possible way. You're being purposefully obtuse because you decided you'd look cool in Big Boy pants on the Codex.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The difference being that I'm referring to how the classical body of work (stemming from Poe to Love) was handled, while you're talking about some boardgame or pnp? At least you tried.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So I sold the silver watch you can find in the Eels attic accidentally and now I cant hand it to the quest guy even after buying it back.

GandGolf

Augur
Consumable items that come in bottles disappear from your inventory when you use them, which seems like an oversight considering crafting requires empty bottles. They should leave behind an empty bottle when you use them.

That may be overpowered, at least in some cases where you only need one container but it gives you more than a single dose (like laudanum where you get 3 I think?)

The real problem with bugs is that you don't know if they're actually bugs or your character (or you) going mad

I managed once. You cast it on Julian's body, in that specific quest. You right click on the body, choose the spell. I had it on my quickslot, pressing it and nothing. Also, it doesn't work on every body, just the necessary ones. Also, F1 (tutorial, stopped working, because why wouldn't it?). This game is really good when it comes to atmosphere, art, rpg elements, forcing you to read everything and finding the solution but goddamn does it feel like I'm beta testing this.

I know what you mean. Still all those characters I mentioned had the quickspell option so if I was supposed to cast something else which I doubt or if the game bugged out makes me wonder

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The real problem with bugs is that you don't know if they're actually bugs or your character (or you) going mad
Off topic, there was a Commodore 64 game called Bozo's Night Out, about getting home from the bar. Every level your character would be drunker and drunker, the controls would get less responsive, and the graphics got glitchier and glitchier. It was as if the programmer had made some buggy code in the past, learned how to reproduce it, and deliberately made it a feature in this game. So fucking good.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
ajqHuJI.png

(Okay, bull is an old-timey term for policeman but still, I didn't figure that out at first.)
2IZPAQc.png

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
The difference being that I'm referring to how the classical body of work (stemming from Poe to Love) was handled, while you're talking about some boardgame or pnp? At least you tried.

Ooh. We're going to pretend to put on Daddy's monocle? Ok! I'll start telling you how Machen is actually pronounced Mack-in and about how it's funny that Clark Ashton Smith was easily the most talented prose writer of the bunch but was just doing it for rent.

Stop drooling all over yourself, kid.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This game has an almost infantile and over the top tone, lacks a sense of measure and is "Lovecraftian" (dumb term) in name only. I'm especially not going to go in depth w/ someone who spams BUY THIS GAME on twitter.

As a Keeper of Arcane Lore who runs a Call of Cthulhu game every other Saturday I call bullshit. This game and CoC actually have quite a lot in common. And while yes, the game is cartoonish, it is still Lovecraftian in almost every possible way. You're being purposefully obtuse because you decided you'd look cool in Big Boy pants on the Codex.
Ahhh i don't remember Lovecraft creating some board games,don't see what it have to do with this game. The game is closer with the expanded mythos,but it is not something i would say is Lovecraftian as the original stories. Still the game is pretty good and fun,but i wouldn't call it a fair depiction of Lovecraft's work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom