Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Ahhh i don't remember Lovecraft creating some board games,don't see what it have to do with this game. The game is closer with the expanded mythos,but it is not something i would say is Lovecraftian as the original stories. Still the game is pretty good and fun,but i wouldn't call it a fair depiction of Lovecraft's work.

Yeah. I don't remember "Lovecraft creating some board games" either. What I do remember is that Call of Cthulhu is one of the longest-running and biggest PnP RPGs of all time though, you fucking slobbering retard, and gee I wonder if a cRPG might be taking cues from it along with the works of everybody you love and everybody whose name is Derleth. I seriously wonder sometimes...are any of you out there even fucking trying?

Deleted Member 16721

Bro, maybe you don't like video games luj1 . Of course it's not going to mimic the classical work to a tee. It's a video game. Enjoy it for what it is rather than shit on it for what it's not.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
went to hotel top floor
couldnt get into hitman room by sweet talk of room service. Ended up putting mask on, asking nicely on gun point aaaaand ended up in combat. It appears that there are endless waves?
Anyway after getting bored of killing enemies I snatched items from drawer and fled.

then as i lvled up i gained more subterfuge and wanted to return to room enxt door, which contained desk i couldnt access. As i did so, without a mask anymore, I ended up beeing attacked by mob and inside the room again.
Did I screw up?

EDIT: also upon reaching lvl3 and athletics2, I couldnt pick that athletic fighting feat for some reason

the waves are not endless but there s a fucking lot of them

the most hilarious part is after killing a dozen or so of those mafia thugs in that sequence the loot is like 6 bullets

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
So in the final fight, I figured out how to make one spawn at a time by blocking the other spawns, I assumed it would be endless, because I could endlessly kill 1 at a time, without taking damage for probably a few hundred waves, is the solution to die, or let them kill you, really confused

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Man, how have I not even played through the demo section in these couple of days since game has been released? It's barely two hours. Good news is I should be impacted by that Monday patch.

So... have all the first-wave apologists moved on to defend some other game? Can we discuss this game's serious shortcomings or should we keep on pretending this is the second coming of Christ for a while longer?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
the waves are not endless but there s a fucking lot of them
what happens if you go through all the waves?
You get some bullets and advance with the slasher quest, use the chairs on your left at the bottom of the screen as cover for your ranged characters, I had 2 melee 2 ranged so made it easy to beat, 2 spawn at a time
better advance than just snatching papers from desk and leaving?
Don't remember exactly, but I think so

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
So... have all the first-wave apologists moved on to defend some other game? Can we discuss this game's serious shortcomings or should we keep on pretending this is the second coming of Christ for a while longer?
Yea it's a buggy piece of shit and would probably be better in true 3d, but there is a lot to like

Wunderbar

Arcane
Radial menu doesn't help you if you are missing an item and you can't figure out what item you need. It's the old point-and-click adventure game problem - trying to figure out what the developer is thinking, rather than coming up with your own solution. The brick wall safe is a perfect example of this. It's absolutely not intuitive that you need to go talk to the guard to ask him to break the wall. Why can't I break down the wall?
You can if you have at least one point in the melee skill and a melee weapon.
but why can't you ask your companion?

Yea it's a buggy piece of shit and would probably be better in true 3d, but there is a lot to like
Don't mind the perspective myself, but yeah the game is a broken mess. I have no idea how people say they are not affected by the bugs. Do you not use spells in combat?
Other than that, this game has some serious mechanical oversights, the biggest offender for me is the lack of visual/written representation of game mechanics. For example stealth. What does Stealth+1 mean compared to stealth+2? How does detection work? Or why is there no save/load menu, when the game keeps several autosave slots, effectively eliminating the sole purpose of not having save-on-demant (ie. save scumming)? I can't believe the devs didn't get any feedback regarding this stuff during development, which makes me believe the implementations are deliberate... it's bothersome to say the least. Next, the combat is just generic TB slogfest which i despise. I mean I just hate fighting... but luckily it looks like the game does allow avoiding them. I hope it keeps up until the end without a single mandatory fight. Lastly, I know that the story is meant to be a cliffhanger sort of situation. So far, the story and atmosphere (as well as frequent RPG moments) are this game's strong points. If the story is left with an unsatisfying feel by at end... well, this game will lose a lot of its standing with me.

Another thing: You can't use your companion skills outside combat. Giving the Outsider points in medicine (his tagged skill) is nearly worthless since he can't cook them drugs for you. What's the point?

Last edited:

RegionalHobo

Scholar
this game making me rest trying to reset vendors to find the purifier is true lovecraftian insanity

that said liked the mi-go quest, without entering in spoiler territory

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Don't mind the perspective myself, but yeah the game is a broken mess. I have no idea how people say they are not affected by the bugs. Do you not use spells in combat?
Other than that, this game has some serious mechanical oversights, the biggest offender for me is the lack of visual/written representation of game mechanics. For example stealth. What does Stealth +1 mean compared to spell +2? How does detection work? Why is there no save/load menu? I can't believe the devs didn't get any feedback regarding this stuff during development, which makes me believe the implementations are deliberate... it's bothersome to say the least. Next, the combat is just generic TB slogfest which i despise. I mean I just hate fighting... but luckily it looks like the game does allow avoiding them. I hope it keeps up until the end without a single mandatory fight. Lastly, I know that the story is meant to be a cliffhanger sort of situation. So far, the story and atmosphere (as well as frequent RPG moments) are this game's strong points. If the story is left with an unsatisfying feel by at end... well, this game will lose a lot of its standing with me.

sorry to say there are mandatory fights

Other than that, this game has some serious mechanical oversights, the biggest offender for me is the lack of visual/written representation of game mechanics. For example stealth. What does Stealth +1 mean compared to spell +2? How does detection work? Why is there no save/load menu? I can't believe the devs didn't get any feedback regarding this stuff during development, which makes me believe the implementations are deliberate... it's bothersome to say the least. Next, the combat is just generic TB slogfest which i despise. I mean I just hate fighting... but luckily it looks like the game does allow avoiding them. I hope it keeps up until the end without a single mandatory fight. Lastly, I know that the story is meant to be a cliffhanger sort of situation. So far, the story and atmosphere (as well as frequent RPG moments) are this game's strong points. If the story is left with an unsatisfying feel by at end... well, this game will lose a lot of its standing with me.

sorry to say there are mandatory fights
Yeah deep down i expected as much. Terrible.

V_K

Arcane
Did anyone here sucesfully cast the speak with the dead spell? It was in my grimoire, it was in the quickspell slot and I could never get the Outsider to cast it tried it on
the dead body with no ankles, the widow, the body hanging from the clock tower, Betty Ross, the dead mom. It didn't work once
You can only use it if you main character has the spell, same as with other non-combat skills. At least two of the bodies you listed have spirits to them.
Also, it doesn't work on every body, just the necessary ones.
Not quite, there are quite a few ghosts where you can be sorta-evil and suck out their ectoplasm. Which is supposed to improve spells in some way, but I have no idea how to use it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh i don't remember Lovecraft creating some board games,don't see what it have to do with this game. The game is closer with the expanded mythos,but it is not something i would say is Lovecraftian as the original stories. Still the game is pretty good and fun,but i wouldn't call it a fair depiction of Lovecraft's work.

Yeah. I don't remember "Lovecraft creating some board games" either. What I do remember is that Call of Cthulhu is one of the longest-running and biggest PnP RPGs of all time though, you fucking slobbering retard, and gee I wonder if a cRPG might be taking cues from it along with the works of everybody you love and everybody whose name is Derleth. I seriously wonder sometimes...are any of you out there even fucking trying?
Really don't care about your obsession with this boradgame knock off. I am saying that this game is not very Lovecraftian,as it is not close to the original stories. I really don't care about all that trash that came after Lovecraft,all of them are just a poor imitations of the genius.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom