Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
PcxuDd9.png

Looks like another case of "critics hate it, players love it."

Seems 100% legit. You should buy the collectors edition for your own money, Bubbles.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That reminds me, is someone going to review this for the Codex?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Delterius wanted to review it, but I'm not sure if Irenaeus ever did give him a key.

Mortmal

Arcane
PcxuDd9.png

Looks like another case of "critics hate it, players love it."

Stop the lies , there was thousands of refunds day one . Only the most rabid fanboys are still bothering to post about it on SCL official boards.100 players really lking it sounds about right , maybe they even torrented it. The only review needed is one by bubbles to put his nose into his own shit so to speak. Everything been said about the game.

Mustawd

ign review

5.5 - Dull combat and a weak dungeon creator spoil the fun of the latest D&D CRPG.

-It avoids real choice and the need for careful decisions at almost every turn.

-The rules at play here technically derive from D&D's fifth edition, but Sword Coast Legends makes massive departures from that legacy by implementing enemy scaling and ditching D&D standbys like resting and skill books for mage classes, out of what appears to be an overemphasis on accessibility.

-Hard mode isn't so much as challenging as it is annoying. Every single battle eventually devolves into simple hack 'n' slash attrition

-The problem here is that there's not much you can do with [DM mode] besides generate the same boring kill-and-fetch quests that make up the campaign

-Other annoyances include a default but changeable setting that makes characters constantly yell out things like "Okay!" with every movement

If IGN can see the decline then this game really has no hope. Should be fun to see what the apologist fanbois convince themselves of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wait, what in the fuckin fuck?????? IGN is complaining about accessibly???? You have to be fucking kidding me. :lol:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, after a few days, the data on Steamspy is consolidated. Even ignoring the last couple days (which are often inaccurate), either steamspy is bugged/broken, or there have been thousands of refunds and sales are frozen.

HyWWh.jpg

As someone said before, I hope the publishers don't blame it on D&D or RPGs :D

Delterius

Arcane
Delterius wanted to review it, but I'm not sure if Irenaeus ever did give him a key.

He did not. Currently I'm waiting to see if the devs go desperate enough to put this on sale, maybe on Black Friday. By then I should be able to do a little more than just panning the game, which the cool kids are already doing nowadays, maybe even a post mortem on how WotC hates D&D.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Review roundup: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/116360-sword-coast-legends-reviews-2.html

IGN, 5.5/10.

On the whole, Sword Coast Legends usually works, but that’s all I can say for it. There’s an obvious love for the lore on display, but there are no Minscs or Boos here; no thrilling battles where victory springs as much from brains as endurance. The great tragedy of Sword Coast Legends is that the last couple of years have all but paved the way for it to emerge as the best of the cRPG renaissance, but its dull cooldown-based combat, linear quests, and cookie-cutter user-made content ensure that it's likely to be among the first to be forgotten.

DSOGaming, scoreless.

So where are we at? Well even though I have been really harsh I didn’t completely hate the game. I actually had a pretty good time when I was playing in a group with other people. Mostly I’m disappointed because I have been hyped for this game’s release ever since I first heard about it over a year ago. I would have been even more disappointed in it if I paid $39.99 (USD) instead of getting the game to review. Sword Coast Legends is not terrible and if you get in with a good group of people you can consistently play with I’m sure you will have a great time.

That all being said I find it hard to recommend at its current price. If you can get the game for 50% off then go for it and pick it up. Until then watch some videos, read some more articles and other reviews, you should always diversify your sources because reviews are, well…. opinions.

GameReactor UK, 5/10.

It's not a complete disaster. It has something to offer in the way of a decent main campaign, and there's plenty of opportunities to play co-operatively in different contexts. It just never reaches the heights of the games that came before and inspired it. Hopefully the technical issues will be sorted, and the Dungeon Master mode expanded on, but as it stands Sword Coast Legends is a rather disappointing and mediocre experience.

Digitally Downloaded, 3.5/5.

Sword Coast Legends offers up a solid version of Dungeons & Dragons, with a campaign and setting that were immediately appealing to me and plenty of user content already filling the community. This sort of content will be enormously valuable in giving Sword Coast Legends life beyond its campaign. However, limited tools hold this title back from greatness on the editing front, while its clear Diablo and Dragon Age influences may rub D&D purists the wrong way. It is still a fun experience worth having, but there is certainly room to grow and improve as well.

Weasel
While I've hardly been reluctant to shit on SCL, looking at those scores I can't help wondering how different they would have been if a big publisher had been behind this game.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Despite my loathing towards Steam, I must admit that the refunds thing is genius. Now even Bethesda feels obligated to re-check their games at least once.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Don't be ridiculous, even game journos have some moral standards; the scores would have varied from 8.9 to 9.3 "it's okay".

Delterius

Arcane
Despite my loathing towards Steam, I must admit that the refunds thing is genius. Now even Bethesda feels obligated to re-check their games at least once.
No one would ever dare refund a Bethesda masterpiece. Remember: the last Bethesda was actually shitty all along and this one transcends all human reasoning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom