Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

purupuru

Learned
Canonical lore of the first tier is what the player literally experiences within the game and nothing else, at least that's what Todd said in his interview with UESP, and I agree with his take on this matter.
so would you describe cyrodiil as a jungle or not?
As much as I hate it I would have to respect my playthough and say it's not (at least not in the timeline for Oblivion and Skyrim, since MK tried a workaround with From The Many-Headed Talos). And that's one of the reasons why it's a really sad thing that Oblivion happened. I expect to play Tamriel Rebuilt one day when it's more "finished", though I suppose that can never be the same as having an actually good official Cyrodiil game, the hurt can't really be undone.

Codex Year of the Donut
Canonical lore of the first tier is what the player literally experiences within the game and nothing else, at least that's what Todd said in his interview with UESP, and I agree with his take on this matter.
As much as I hate it I would have to respect my playthough and say it's not (at least not in the timeline for Oblivion and Skyrim, since MK tried a workaround with From The Many-Headed Talos). And that's one of the reasons why it's a really sad thing that Oblivion happened. I expect to play Tamriel Rebuilt one day when it's more "finished", though I suppose that can never be the same as having an actually good official Cyrodiil game, the hurt can't really be undone.
so what about the TES games where it is a jungle? Do they just not exist?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nope. In TES Online it's not a jungle either.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nope. In TES Online it's not a jungle either.

Cyrodiil very much is a jungle. But it also isn't. It's entirely dependent on whether you are observing the universe from before or after Tiber Septim's dragonbreak.

purupuru

Learned
Like I said, with MK's From The Many-Headed Talos (and the text's inclusion in Skyrim), one can think that Tiber Septim CHIM-ed and changed the landscape retroactively, so in a sense both jungle and non-jungle Cyrodiil exist. Just one more fucked-up time anomaly in TES world.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Cyrodiil is the largest province in Tamriel, stretching 2/3rds of the way across the continent both east-west and north-south. It should never have been described as a single biome, and jungles couldn't possibly exist in most of its terrain, but it was a mistake for Oblivion not to include jungles in the sections that should have had a warmer clime. Of course, Oblivion in general was hopelessly generic, re-using the same meadows, rolling hills, and forests across the vast territory of the Imperial Province rather than even managing to replicate the ecological diversity that Morrowind demonstrated just in the island of Vvardenfell, much less the greater variety that should have existed in the vast area of Cyrodiil.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Yeah, it's still alive. It might be in maintenance mode, the monetization is mostly fixed. Story isn't great, it has decent enough combat, where blocking and timing your swings matters. It's the most depth a TES game has had in combat which isnt saying much since 2/5 of them involved holding down RMB and flailing back and forth, 3/5 involved random hit chance, and the last 2/5 involved tank and spank.

The lore isn't that fucked up since it's basically mythology and people tend to ignore Toddy Hows on how the lore works.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Cyrodiil is the largest province in Tamriel, stretching 2/3rds of the way across the continent both east-west and north-south. It should never have been described as a single biome, and jungles couldn't possibly exist in most of its terrain, but it was a mistake for Oblivion not to include jungles in the sections that should have had a warmer clime. Of course, Oblivion in general was hopelessly generic, re-using the same meadows, rolling hills, and forests across the vast territory of the Imperial Province rather than even managing to replicate the ecological diversity that Morrowind demonstrated just in the island of Vvardenfell, much less the greater variety that should have existed in the vast area of Cyrodiil.

Don't be so hard on Oblivion, it has total of 4 different tree biomes
which is pretty weird given how aspen, pine, oak and spruce trees shouldn't have any trouble at all growing next to each other, save for one being invasive.
What is more lame is how it's just forest, like there's nothing interesting in there that gives the forest life. Fallen trees, moss covered stones? Nah, just your copy pasted Ayleid Ruin/Fort/Cave.

But even then, even if Cyrodiil had jungle forest, I don't think the lore would had been saved that way, as lot of stuff in that game is tell, don't show, when it should be the opposite. The invasion of Daedra is nothing compared to wood elf undercutting some prices at Imperial City Market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom