Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vanilla original CD version. I'd have posted a screenshot but I'm getting a black screen. So you'll have to take me at my word, my impeachable sense of honour, and my sense of prestigious and manly conduct. :incline:
Yep, from the original game. You could charm lots of characters like that to get some interesting info, but usually never useful. It was fun nonetheless. BG2 did away with that, restricting those charm events to only certain key characters. Can't remember if the EEs restored that behaviour from the original game.

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi 9C using Tapatalk

It's awesome beyond words. I don't think any other RPG has done anything like that; just charm Xzar at the beginning before you recruit him and you get him to spill the beans. As I never played as a mage, I never really went down this route and got stuck in my ways over the years.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Bioware put a lot of care into charm and enchantment spells in BG1.

Then came BG2 where not only could you not charm NPCs for extra dialogue, Bioware didn't implement *any* new higher-level enchantment spells. It's like the designer who advocated for that school left between the two games.

Codex Year of the Donut
Bodhi's whole body exploded in pain-a kind of burning agony she hadn't experienced since before she'd become a vampire. Things had pierced her flesh before, but weapons of steel or claw never hurt her. A blade had to be enchanted to make her bleed. No fist could bruise her, and no claw could rend her, but here she was, being torn apart by this thing's bare hands.

She'd tried to speak to him, to hypnotize him, to run from him, but nothing worked. The roof had been ripped off the Copper Coronet, revealing the dark, moonless sky. The thing that was once Abdel Adrian had destroyed the tavern, then turned its full attention on Bodhi. She'd even tried to tell him where to find the pieces of the Rynn Lanthorn. She'd tried admitting all her lies and manipulations. She'd even said she was sorry.

It took her leg off, and the pain was literally blinding. It ripped her arm off, and she almost passed out. She could feel cool blood drying all over her.

The creature bit into her chest, and she could feel her heart burst, and more blood exploded out everywhere. One of her breasts came off in its mouth, and she screamed. The sound was as alien in her ears as it was in her throat.

"Abdel!" she screamed, the blood that had filled her throat fountaining out with the name. "I love you… I loved you, Abdel…"

Cael

Arcane
I find it interesting that when you fatten up the females, they all start to look male...

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just before fighting Irenicus on the Tree of Life I've decided to tell Jan to get his useless butt back to the turnip market and off of my team. For the first time in the long history of all my playthroughs I'm picking up Imoen. Her thief skills are sufficient, especially with potions at my disposal, and Haer'Dalis for pickpocketing. Gave her exp with EE Keeper, I'm looking forward to hearing her banter for the first time, and most of all, her being useful. Jan kept dying (completely) way, way too much, while contributing nothing other than detect illusion.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just before fighting Irenicus on the Tree of Life I've decided to tell Jan to get his useless butt to the turnip market and off of my team. For the first time in the long history of all my playthroughs I'm picking up Imoen. Her thief skills are sufficient, especially with potions at my disposal, and Haer'Dalis for pickpocketing Gave her exp with EE Keeper, I'm looking forward to hearing her banter for the first time, and most of all, her being useful. Jan kept dying (completely) way, way too much, while contributing nothing other than detect illusion.

Turnip hating scum!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Just before fighting Irenicus on the Tree of Life I've decided to tell Jan to get his useless butt back to the turnip market and off of my team. For the first time in the long history of all my playthroughs I'm picking up Imoen. Her thief skills are sufficient, especially with potions at my disposal, and Haer'Dalis for pickpocketing. Gave her exp with EE Keeper, I'm looking forward to hearing her banter for the first time, and most of all, her being useful. Jan kept dying (completely) way, way too much, while contributing nothing other than detect illusion.
Imoen really isn't as bad as most people make her out to be. She's just a bit limited in the late game because her lockpicking skill is a too low to open some of the late game locks. I forget how I got around this. Maybe a thieving potion, knock scrolls or just smashing them open with a high strength character.

Codex Year of the Donut
beamdog adding a pure thief but making it hexxat is probably the worst thing they've done
Cuckdog: Who wouldn't like a black lesbian ninja vampire chick?

Turns out: Everyone.
worst part is how painful of a mary sue donutsteel OC creation she is
she has by far the best stats of any companion in the game, it's not even close

Jaheira's total attributes are 88, Keldorn takes the top spot at 89, then Sarevok Anchovies overtakes him at 95.
Hexxat is at 98.
The sunlight attribute penalties are trivial to work around and you spend like 90% of the game indoors anyways.

vota DC

Augur
Wait Is detect illusion useful? I usually give 100 to traps (both set and disarm) , lockpick and 120 for pickpocket then move silently. I see secret passages even without detect illusion, what It does in game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom