Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Modron

Arcane
Uh….. yeah. Glad I didn’t buy this.
Do you have hardware capable of running it? You've got a proper desktop stashed away in some crawlspace spliced into the electricity of an unsuspecting family above?

A rather curious turn of event : I replayed the old BG series after maybe 10 years or more, and I am struck with how fast-paced it really is. It really has this deep connection with RTS gameplay, with all the running around, the kitting, vomiting incomprehensible effects on the screen and so on. I actually like it a lot. Secretly I am veteran of these games (I play with the SCS mod and all the nonsense), something I wouldn't admit because of how low brow it is. I mocked this stupid series for years, because of course, I played through it seven times and, like Viconia scorns you in the romance, I have to show hate to what I'm attached to. So yes, I like this stupid frantic RtwP gameplay. Now that TB is becoming more and more popular, I'm starting to regret it. Whatever becomes common loses value, as the big moustache said. At any rate, the idea that TB was somehow more sophisticated always had the fact that developing real time systems is much harder. Fixed states in a TB system are easy enough to determine at any given point. The readability argument is rather weak ; most distaste the Codex expressed for RtwP was really mostly just a skill issue, when you think about it.

I also play SCS insane double damage, everything turned up, etc not sure if dislike for rtwp is always a skill issue, I think some just prefer the structure of tb.

For some players though, it's for sure a skill issue.
It's not the difficulty of the combat, it's about having reflexes, I think that's the "skill issue" discussed here

Orion

Cipher
While reminiscing about BG1 now that BG3 just came out, I had the thought that I would probably not like the BG1 NPCs as fondly if they all had over 10 hours of voiced dialogue I had to listen through. There's something nice about only having a portrait and a few repeated voice lines to establish their character. I understand why that wouldn't fly in a big budget game though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Or like Warcraft 1 clicking on a knight:
Yes!
My liege!
My lord!

Maybe a slutty tart might say the same thing or groan wouldn’t be terrible…… nah! It’d get annoying.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

IMG_7553.jpeg

Uh….. yeah. Glad I didn’t buy this.

Wow, this guy is still around? What year is this?

Also, i see he has fallen for this cringy trend of letting his girlfriend into his videos. I fucking hate that shit. Like Jay Dyer has been doing that lately too. Like, bitch, i didn't sign up to listen to your girlfriend's normie tier opinions.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You didn’t watch the video eh? Gay Bear fucking gay vampire during a showing by Sven in a reveal. The crowd was pretty “pumped” by the action I guess.

The chick doing the video has pretty much taken over this dude’s channel or it is her own. Youtubers, go figure.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Baldur's Gate 3 really made me realize that I can not stand playing Larian games anymore. I just hate their design philosophy, and the fact, that they didn't care at all to make the game look or play at least a little bit like the older games (toilet chain still a thing, turn based instead of RtwP, only a few companions, and they are special snowflakes again, big maps instead of little, cut off areas, UI is garbage, no custom voice sets, no night cycles, and so on). And DnD removing so many things because of inclusivism is just the topping of the cake.

As soon as I was done with the
Defiled Goblin Temple
, I said "nope", uninstalled the game and played a little bit of Baldur's Gate Trilogy again. And I mourned, because we will never see companions like Xzar or Montaron in a video game again.

sadfsaf.jpg

Kedar

Educated
And I mourned, because we will never see companions like Xzar or Montaron in a video game again.

View attachment 39672
First of all, what the fuck is wrong with these faces?

Also, I'm replaying the first BG, and it's dumb as fuck with Bub Snikt and other idiotic references everywhere. I especially enjoyed the quest with the talking chicken. I'm having fun with it, but let's not pretend it's some pinnacle of serious writing.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
A rather curious turn of event : I replayed the old BG series after maybe 10 years or more, and I am struck with how fast-paced it really is. It really has this deep connection with RTS gameplay, with all the running around, the kitting, vomiting incomprehensible effects on the screen and so on. I actually like it a lot. Secretly I am veteran of these games (I play with the SCS mod and all the nonsense), something I wouldn't admit because of how low brow it is. I mocked this stupid series for years, because of course, I played through it seven times and, like Viconia scorns you in the romance, I have to show hate to what I'm attached to. So yes, I like this stupid frantic RtwP gameplay. Now that TB is becoming more and more popular, I'm starting to regret it. Whatever becomes common loses value, as the big moustache said. At any rate, the idea that TB was somehow more sophisticated always had the fact that developing real time systems is much harder. Fixed states in a TB system are easy enough to determine at any given point. The readability argument is rather weak ; most distaste the Codex expressed for RtwP was really mostly just a skill issue, when you think about it.
This is a bad post, and you should feel bad for producing it.

Modron

Arcane
Zoom Zoomie who thinks infinity engine combat is lightning fast and requires quick reflexes versus the reality of the game needing canned fake attack animations so that players don't sit there wondering why their character hasn't done anything for the last ten seconds.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom