Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Aemar

Arcane
Ananias. Yay or nay? How many hours to complete the game?

buffalo bill

Arcane
I haven't played it but this from the steam page sounds pretty decline:
The game keeps track of your adventures on its online server, sharing the in-game events with your friends in real time, maintaining a leaderboard of the most successful heroes as well as a graveyard of memorable characters which you can share in social media.

Ananias is a classic turn-based "roguelike" adapted for modern media, it removes the cumbersome movement and complex commands while keeping all the features from the genre that make the games fun and enjoyable

Eisen

Learned
I haven't played it but this from the steam page sounds pretty decline:
The game keeps track of your adventures on its online server, sharing the in-game events with your friends in real time, maintaining a leaderboard of the most successful heroes as well as a graveyard of memorable characters which you can share in social media.

Ananias is a classic turn-based "roguelike" adapted for modern media, it removes the cumbersome movement and complex commands while keeping all the features from the genre that make the games fun and enjoyable
It is pretty decline

dacencora

Rift wizard is p cool. Not in my top 5 of roguelikes, but pretty unique and a lot of fun. Still on the fence on Caves of Qud, it seems like it could be fun, but I’m not crazy about “open-world” roguelikes. Thinking about picking up the rogueLITE Noita.

Irata

Scholar

I've not played it, but Golden Khrone Hotel is supposed to be pretty good. I'd pick it up since it is only 1.50 USD but I'm still playing other stuff and I don't buy games that I'm not going to immediately play any more.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Shattered Pixel Dungeon (a fork of Pixel Dungeon) came out on Steam just over a month ago, in case anyone missed it. I didn't enjoy the original really, but this is quickly growing on me as a neat little time waster.

Still on the fence on Caves of Qud, it seems like it could be fun, but I’m not crazy about “open-world” roguelikes.

They're currently in the middle of reworking the UI, with great results. Probably one of the best UX outcomes that isn't alien to you still using a keyboard.

b7meiao.png

They've already implemented the new character creator, which looks great, and most other reworks have a WIP version you can currently enable in the options. Full mockup of the redesign can be seen here.

Rift wizard is p cool. [...] Thinking about picking up the rogueLITE Noita.

Can't go wrong with Noita tbh! :D It and Rift Wizard are both such special little games, honestly. And in a strange way quite similar to one another, they are both about preparing and upgrading spells, one way or another; Noita just uses a medium of wands for it as a middleman. But yes, while it's not a roguelike in the genre-tradition sense, Noita is quite traditional in that sense, as there is no means of leveling up and getting stronger in a meta-sense between each run.

(Game also has the coolest 2D physics engine I've ever seen! Not even a competition.)

dacencora

I've not played it, but Golden Khrone Hotel is supposed to be pretty good. I'd pick it up since it is only 1.50 USD but I'm still playing other stuff and I don't buy games that I'm not going to immediately play any more.

It is pretty cool! It’s got fun mechanics and should definitely be talked about more. There are just so many good roguelikes that sometimes some good ones get lost int the shuffle.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I envy you. If something is as cheap as this one and looks interesting i can't stop myself. At least i made myself a rule that if i don't intend to play a game immediately or very soon i only buy it at 75% discount or better. "Unfortunately" this one more than qualifies.
Looks nice though.

Cataphract

Literate
I am really enjoying the dcss-fork Bcadren, are there any other forks as wild? Or roguelikes in general?

Narushima

Cipher
Infra Arcana has been updated to version 21.0.1
Also, I didn't know but the developer created a thread here.

============================================================
= v21.0.1 (April 7, 2022)
============================================================

##############################
# Gameplay changes
# Backgrounds and traits
- Reduced hit points healed by Ghoul feeding from 3-5 to 3-4 (also affects monster Ghouls).
- Ghoul player characters now receive -50% shock from darkness and blood/gore, but also -50% shock reduction from light.
- Ghoul player characters opening a cocoon can no longer receive the event "there is a half-dissolved human body inside!" (Ghouls are not afraid of such things).
- A player with darkvision (i.e. Ghouls) can now read manuscripts in darkness.

# Items
- The "Blaster" Strange Device now casts Darkbolt instead of Azathoths Gaze, which is more fitting for its name.

# Spells
- Heal now also cures poisoning when cast at expert level (previously only cured from master level).

# Other
- When the player is kicking a position with a monster they are aware of inside blocking terrain (e.g. a rat inside rubble, or a ghost on a closed door), the monster is now prioritized for kicking instead of the terrain (but if they are unaware of the monster, the terrain will be kicked instead).
- The chance to tear free from a spider web is slightly higher.

# Fixes
- Only a monster that is alive can now be discovered with an XP reward. This fixes a bug where killing an invisible monster (e.g. a Ghost) would discover it.
- The message "Major Clapham Lee calls forth his Tomb-Legions" is no longer printed if the player cannot see the Major, instead a sound is heard ("A voice is calling forth [...]").
- Frenzy no longer prevents melee attacking an adjacent known unseen monster while there is a seen monster in a different direction.
- The "magic pool" now also heals infections (it already healed disease).
- Fixed an issue where activating a "Blaster" Strange Device would tick game time twice.

Jigby

Augur
I am really enjoying the dcss-fork Bcadren, are there any other forks as wild? Or roguelikes in general?
Not sure if it qualifies as wild, but Brogue has a fork with MGS sounds and audio mixed in. I normally find Brogue boring, but somehow with that music it's a lot more energetic. https://sourceforge.net/projects/brogueaudio/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHu0Ka9O95k (video is from a different variant that has some perspective changing patches and other nonsense, but it also has MGS music and I couldn't find other video...)

Aemar

Arcane
Shattered Pixel Dungeon (a fork of Pixel Dungeon) came out on Steam just over a month ago, in case anyone missed it. I didn't enjoy the original really, but this is quickly growing on me as a neat little time waster.

So is this worth it then?

Cataphract

Literate
DCSS forks:

Kimchi crawl
https://github.com/kimjoy2002/crawl/releases

Bcrawl (not to be confused with bcadren)
https://github.com/b-crawl/bcrawl/releases

Gooncrawl (features and changes are voted on by the community)
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases
Thanks, I already play bcrawl a good bit but have also dipped my toes in kimchi, and I like both. I'll have to give goon a try if it can be reccomend among them.
Not sure if it qualifies as wild, but Brogue has a fork with MGS sounds and audio mixed in. I normally find Brogue boring, but somehow with that music it's a lot more energetic. https://sourceforge.net/projects/brogueaudio/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHu0Ka9O95k (video is from a different variant that has some perspective changing patches and other nonsense, but it also has MGS music and I couldn't find other video...)
You have a point. These funny sound effects have me interested in a game I have somewhat shallowly written off.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-6-march-2022

Monster energy and attacks of opportunity
A major mechanical change has landed in trunk. “Random energy” was introduced long ago in Stone Soup’s history as an attempt at deterring tedious-but-optimal levels of pillar dancing and luring, while permitting shorter trips. It has not been successful in that role, and additionally offered a “get out of jail free-ish” card in many fights against certain monsters. The spirit that motivated it also motivated previous devteam attempts to meet the problem with a better solution, such as the dynamic-monsters experimental during the 0.17 cycle. This time around we’re tinkering with the mechanic again, in the following form:

• Monster move energy is no longer randomized.
  • Monsters adjacent to the player gain a 1/3 chance to gain a free* attack if the player moves away from them. Wu Jian martial attacks & rampaging give immunity, and monsters that don’t move fast enough to follow you can’t attack. *Terms and conditions apply: the monster must have sufficient energy to be able to move the next turn (monsters slower than the player don’t get this chance on the turn they fall behind), and monsters that attack slowly don’t get a full refund on the energy used for the attack, only the amount of a normal turn.
  • Ogres, 2-headed Ogres, Ogre magi, and Thunderhulks attack more slowly in melee.
  • Early D spawns are nerfed a bit, with top killers less common and Harold moved later.
In addition to the direct tuning changes above, backgrounds have their starting kits improved a bit with extra consumables, to increase tactical options in the very early game. See the next section.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am trying to get to Crawl/DCSS but it seems that the latest changes are not well received.

If I want to experience good old Crawl journey, from the older patches, on which patch should I start? Should I then try to play the old version one by one? Or is there a definitive old edition lists? I understand there is fork but I want to experience the original vision before delving into forks etc

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am trying to get to Crawl/DCSS but it seems that the latest changes are not well received.

If I want to experience good old Crawl journey, from the older patches, on which patch should I start? Should I then try to play the old version one by one? Or is there a definitive old edition lists? I understand there is fork but I want to experience the original vision before delving into forks etc

0.24-0.25 are still good yet modern. Just before they removed food.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Try the one with item weight, where monsters could pick up weapon, uncurse scrolls were more meaningful etc, I think 0.14 or something.

Irata

Scholar
https://ptrefall.itch.io/horde-survivors

Personally, I wouldn't consider this a roguelike, but it fits the genre more than nearly everything else that claims to be one nowadays. It's a turn-based Vampire Survivors type game. I think more works needs to be done on balancing the difficulty (it is too easy), but guy the only had seven days to make it for one of itch.io's contests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom