Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

f2a

Novice
My friend keeps saying "play Cataclysm" so I might pretty soon. Any tips from people that have played the game a lot? I think I mainly played roguelite's which makes me feel like my penis is inverted atm.
Linked guide is very good, if you do not fancy reading, watch some LP/video tutorial. It won’t teach you all the keybindings, but you will absorb a good dose of strategy and what to avoid in early game.
Remember it is not a real time game, you can squirm and think about a single move overnight.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Can anyone give me some pointers regarding bases in Experimental CDDA? I found a really good LMOE basement in a cabin. It's amazing and close enough to town to do easy night raids but it's also starting to clutter the fuck up.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone give me some pointers regarding bases in Experimental CDDA? I found a really good LMOE basement in a cabin. It's amazing and close enough to town to do easy night raids but it's also starting to clutter the fuck up.

In general if you don't have hordes on (its off by default) you don't really need to confine yourself underground. You can expand the cabin above. There are actual building process in the game but probably need NPC for that.

In general, again, your stationary current base is temporary at best if its your first one. Later on you might want to move elsewhere instead of dingy cabin + basement. Most people ended up making ultra mobile base instead using the robust vehicle building (it has become some sort of meme in CDDA to make Deathmobile that weigh tons with 10 engine and ultra plated that can ram anything smaller than a zombie hulk).

Personally when I try to find stationary base it is some farm which usually located between cities. Easy access to water (most of them have pump installed), a lot of empty land for actual farming. Has basement and big room in the house for dedicated room for everything (storage, crafting, etc). Being located in middle of nowhere usually also means it is much more safer from having a random zombies being attracted to noise/light/accidently you bought one when going home after raiding.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Oh in general as well, you might want to avoid forest and swamp. Especially Swamp.

Forest can have random beast and zombie beast spawning (including bear and moose) which can fuck you up early.

Swamp have assortment of giant fucking bugs that can fuck your day up.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
coolbeans.png

:hmmm:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Demo of Masters of the Unknown Worlds released.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/my-new-crpg-under-heavy-development.66765/page-4#post-7933236
This is a Wizardry-like game. But have a roguelike option: random dungeons, random monsters, random items.
You have a party of 6 members.
Masters of the Unknown Worlds 1.2.0 version released. It has only the roguelike version now.
It was 75 hours gameplay to recover the maximum 20 relics for me.
https://magicscreen-games.itch.io/masters-of-the-unknown-worlds

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This is really a general question but there's certain posters here that have a similar taste in games as myself so I thought I'd ask, are there any roguelikes/roguelites with tactical combat?

I found out about the Last Spell, seems like an interesting one.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
This is really a general question but there's certain posters here that have a similar taste in games as myself so I thought I'd ask, are there any roguelikes/roguelites with tactical combat?

Renowned Explorers
Pathway
Galaxy Squad
Battle Brothers on ironman mode
Stirring Abyss
Depth of Extinction

Last edited:

f2a

Novice

There are many, I fancy Allure of the Stars. Try it online but then I strongly advise to download a binary.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, I'm very curious about the genre. I never was exposed to it unless you consider Diablo 1 a part of the genre.

Which one has the best tactical combat? I'm guessing Battle Brothers? I haven't really seen that referred to as a roguelike outside of this thread but its one that I definitely have in mind to buy when its on sale and check out since it seems like a codex/tactical grognard favorite.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Ok, I'm very curious about the genre. I never was exposed to it unless you consider Diablo 1 a part of the genre.

Which one has the best tactical combat? I'm guessing Battle Brothers? I haven't really seen that referred to as a roguelike outside of this thread but its one that I definitely have in mind to buy when its on sale and check out since it seems like a codex/tactical grognard favorite.
After BB, best combat from games that I mentioned is in Renowned Explorers.
Rest are nuXCOM knockoffs of various quality.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, what do you guys think about the notion that modern roguelikes actually allow, in some ways, for more roleplaying opportunities vs many modern crpgs? Just looking at a few roguelike titles and it seems like you get a lot of freedom to do different things that many crpg players would appreciate.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
After playing around with CDDA Experimental I have to say I don't like it. Things take forever now and the recipe menu is just fucking cluttered with shit. Was it really necessary to have 4 different types of plate armor?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
After playing around with CDDA Experimental I have to say I don't like it. Things take forever now and the recipe menu is just fucking cluttered with shit. Was it really necessary to have 4 different types of plate armor?

Mainline CDDA has been in "simulationist autism" mode since like the past 2 - 3 years. In general they always nerf early game as much as possible to make it as slow as possible because otherwise CDDA turn into some optimized playthrough. In general the most fun in CDDA is semi larping and try not to break the game.

If you want a more streamlined CDDA with less autism you can find Bright Night: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN

Bright Night is much more like CDDA 1 - 1.5 years ago but with some neat QoL ported from mainline

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Mainline CDDA has been in "simulationist autism" mode since like the past 2 - 3 years. In general they always nerf early game as much as possible to make it as slow as possible because otherwise CDDA turn into some optimized playthrough. In general the most fun in CDDA is semi larping and try not to break the game.

If you want a more streamlined CDDA with less autism you can find Bright Night: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN

Bright Night is much more like CDDA 1 - 1.5 years ago but with some neat QoL ported from mainline
What is it with this genre and succumbing to turbo autism. I loved DCSS and now it's shit. CDDA is going down the same path it seems.

Codex Year of the Donut
What is it with this genre and succumbing to turbo autism. I loved DCSS and now it's shit. CDDA is going down the same path it seems.
They're being developed by people who focus solely on beating the game rather than playing it. Contrast the similarity to e.g., speedrunners.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

I mean its kinda the inverse. DCSS supposed to remove content. CDDA is adding few content while artistically add features nobody really asked for.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Any opinion on Darkest Dungeon?
Challenging and fun. The game, for me, felt repetitive in the latter half, but I was already deep in enough and wanted to beat it. The replay value is high, if you're into that. Wait for a sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom