Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Peachcurl

Cipher
Also, what do you guys think about the notion that modern roguelikes actually allow, in some ways, for more roleplaying opportunities vs many modern crpgs? Just looking at a few roguelike titles and it seems like you get a lot of freedom to do different things that many crpg players would appreciate.
Yes and no. I agree to the notion in this sense: The freedom that you note indeed allows players to make their own adventure, which I think can allow for more "roleplaying" on the players side. Non-rogue-like RPGs tend to force you into certain roles.

However, on the "Dungeon-Master"-side, much less actual storytelling happens in roguelikes.

My hope is that AI tools will bring those two aspects closer together. And afaik, roguelikes are indeed the games where we see the first serious "experiments" with these tools. Nothing that is _really_ playable yet, but promising nonetheless.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Any opinion on Darkest Dungeon?
I got bored with it quickly.
Curious Expedition 2 does DD's niche of exploration into eldritch where party members gain stress and insanity, and it does it better than DD.
Probably just difference between games where failure feels that "I wasn't prepared right and pushed my luck" instead of lolrandom.

Metronome

Learned
After playing around with CDDA Experimental I have to say I don't like it. Things take forever now and the recipe menu is just fucking cluttered with shit. Was it really necessary to have 4 different types of plate armor?

Mainline CDDA has been in "simulationist autism" mode since like the past 2 - 3 years. In general they always nerf early game as much as possible to make it as slow as possible because otherwise CDDA turn into some optimized playthrough. In general the most fun in CDDA is semi larping and try not to break the game.

If you want a more streamlined CDDA with less autism you can find Bright Night: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN

Bright Night is much more like CDDA 1 - 1.5 years ago but with some neat QoL ported from mainline
What is it with this genre and succumbing to turbo autism. I loved DCSS and now it's shit. CDDA is going down the same path it seems.
It doesn't take much skill to mod items or recipes into DDA. Since it is a game that is focused on simulation the features are allowed so long as they are realistic enough. So you have a lot of the junk you would find in your house in the game, potentially to be used in some context. Then you have a lot of recipes because someone finds something that could be mixed with something else to have a marginal use, which is allowed if it is realistic.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I bought iratus necromancer edition for $13 on gog, I'm going to try that one and see if I enjoy it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The difference between NuCDDA and Bright Nights is staggering. Performance, gameplay, it's all much more reasonable.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The difference between NuCDDA and Bright Nights is staggering. Performance, gameplay, it's all much more reasonable.

Yeah Bright Night is literally forked because some people feels mainline is getting too retarded.

It also has neat feature not in mainline, namely electricity grid without using the clunky vehicle mechanics in mainline. You can even power up whole house through socket and shiet like pre cataclysm iirc i read in BN.

I should get around playing it more, haven't done more than 1 - 2 hour testing on it

Metronome

Learned
Wk2eYG5.png

:hmmm:

f2a

Novice
Death rays ara a proverbial pain in the butt. Don’t give up, make sure to read guides and have the nethackwiki handy!

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Yeah Bright Night is literally forked because some people feels mainline is getting too retarded.

It also has neat feature not in mainline, namely electricity grid without using the clunky vehicle mechanics in mainline. You can even power up whole house through socket and shiet like pre cataclysm iirc i read in BN.

I should get around playing it more, haven't done more than 1 - 2 hour testing on it
Wait, are you seriously saying that electricity actually works in BN? That's one of the few features I thought the game actually needed at this point beyond having an endgame. Can't say I gave that mode much thought before this, but now the next time I play the game I'll use that. It doesn't remove any guns, does it? Even if I end up going down to a select few I always like having a bigger selection of guns.
Come to think of it, I have found it mildly annoying that Dark Days of the Dead or whatever its called forces you into a game mode where bites are all insta-dead. Don't get me wrong, I know why, because that's how Romero films did it, but in Romero films most humans could take out a zombie one-on-one.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Come to think of it, I have found it mildly annoying that Dark Days of the Dead or whatever its called forces you into a game mode where bites are all insta-dead. Don't get me wrong, I know why, because that's how Romero films did it, but in Romero films most humans could take out a zombie one-on-one.

Huh they don't force you on that. It's one of optional mod I think

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Huh they don't force you on that. It's one of optional mod I think
If you use the optional mod, which I mentioned, it forces that on you, whereas before in that mod, bites didn't mean death. I liked how it was before and its mildly annoying having to comment out that change should I want to play it that way.

Metronome

Learned
Just won Nethack again for the first time in about a decade.
j0fQQXA.png

44sjsTw.png
Won with a samurai this time. I remember winning with a rogue before. I think I will try out some of the other classes after this.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Just won Nethack again for the first time in about a decade.gue before. I think I will try out some of the other classes after this.
Nethack is the only roguelike what you can play on Android smartphone.
Because you can zoom in/out the screen.
It is very unfortunate I had not been able to leave the first room. Tried searching the walls - run out of food.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Just won Nethack again for the first time in about a decade.gue before. I think I will try out some of the other classes after this.
Nethack is the only roguelike what you can play on Android smartphone.
Because you can zoom in/out the screen.
That can't be true, there HAVE to be some other examples that work well on Android.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Cataclysm has android port that's decent. Can zoom in/out as well. Need a lot of manual tweak from default setting because their side bar UI is too big by defaul tho

Metronome

Learned
Finished a Nethack run with a tourist, was pretty close in the end
WM1lyaC.png

qMugASr.png
I got lucky with finding the right altar on the first pass. I don't think I would have survived going back around.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Has anyone played Ultima Ratio Regum? How is it?

Irata

Scholar

Metronome

Learned
Dwarves dug out this entire level I was grinding on in Nethack
qwRaHfZ.png

I actually died here to huge monster spawns here while carrying the amulet up, so it was not so cool after all.

V17

Educated
Android Roguelike
(Shattered) Pixel Dungeon is supposed to be a really good Android roguelike. This was probably already mentioned though.

Pixel Dungeon and its forks are quite simplistic compared to PC roguelikes, people seem to like them, but I found them boring.

Pathos: Nethack Codex is the best Android roguelike I've played. The name is a bit unfortunate: it's a new game (so not a fork) heavily inspired by Nethack, simplified, but not to the degree of something like Pixel Dungeon, all the systems are more transparent (no spoilers needed) and the UI is designed with phones in mind. It's pretty accessible while still retaining quite a bit of the Nethack craziness.

PapaPetro

Did they ever update Incursion: Halls of Goblin King since it went open source? It was the best 3.5e D&D roguelike and brought a lot of new mechanics with depth to the scene. Great stuff.
:bro:

Covenant

Savant
Did they ever update Incursion: Halls of Goblin King since it went open source? It was the best 3.5e D&D roguelike and brought a lot of new mechanics with depth to the scene. Great stuff.
:bro:
One thing I liked about Incursion was that you could find powerful magical items that significantly changed how you played without being overpowered. In too many roguelikes (and games in general), you get some lucky find and it's something like 'Great, my punches now do +1 damage', or 'Cold attacks do 30% less damage to me', with the net result that you carry on playing nearly exactly the same way as before. Even in games like ADOM or Nethack, when you get a wish it normally goes on seven league boots or grey dragon scale mail or something that won't actually change your playstyle at all.

Incursion let you find some powerful stuff that would allow you to try completely new approaches or just stomp all over certain situations, but which didn't generally wreck the game because there were a dozen more types of challenges that your cool new item didn't help you with at all.

I can imagine that (like 3.5 D&D itself) it was easily exploitable by munchkins, but as a more laissez-faire player I found it pretty fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom