Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone please recommend me a small and simple game like "The Enchanted Cave 2"?

Try this free demo https://store.steampowered.com/app/869760/Stoneshard_Prologue/ - game is relatively simple, graffixx is nice.
If you like it, it turnes out they already released full game - https://store.steampowered.com/app/625960/Stoneshard/ so you can buy it.

Ooops! It's Early Access thing!
Anyway try the demo!

Warning: There is no sane saving mechanism in the game. The only way to keep progress is to sleep at the inn, which is fine for roleplaying, but if you need to quit the game for whatever reason, there's no way to quick save. I'd save your money and wait until saving is fully implemented.

index.php

Arcane
Ivan058

--> Windows: Download IVAN-v058-win.zip <--
--> Mac: Download IVAN-v058-osx.dmg <--

New Quest: Kingdom of Aslona

• A new main quest will see you trying to bring peace back to the kingdom of Aslona, currently in the middle of a civil war.
  • Add five new locations.
  • Player can now have a ship to sail the oceans of worldmap. This also means that they can now bring pets that would normally be unable to cross the ocean with them.
  • Moving over the ocean is slightly slower than on dry land.
Changes:

• Added Aslona!
  • Added new ROOM_OWNED_AREA type for generic owned rooms. Uses code similar to the Cathedral or Decos' house.
  • Change structure of quests. Petrus now takes the encrypted scroll and gives you some alone time. If you chat with him again, you will receive the GC quest, or you can find other people to chat for other quests.
  • Add some new monsters, items, artifacts, materials and crafting recipes.
  • Hotness can now be used to define materials that deal fire damage on contact, just like Acidicity for acidic materials.
  • Use GitHub app for LGTM.
  • Cats can be tamed with fishes.
  • Orcs have black blood.
  • Lobh-se is a bit more fun.
  • Make amulets easily recognizable by color.
  • Land mines can now be sometimes defused if you levitate over and pick them up.
  • Willpower now protects against some hostile magic.
  • Add autopick regex.
  • Add an option to show info about gods, displaying their last reaction to prayer.
  • Better 'F1' command in menus:
    • Some items now have descriptions.
    • Better help for crafting actions.
    • New help for config options.
  • Add options to start with no pet and to use health descriptions.
  • Add alternate door traps.
  • Prevent very dumb creatures from using wands.
  • You cannot unequip locked chastity belt.
  • Update README and add MANUAL.
  • A wise player can look at an enemy for a rough estimation of their health.
  • Add day/night cycle to all above-ground locations.
  • Enable weather effects for more above-ground locations.
  • Let monsters also benefit from Detecting status effect.
  • Coffins now generate with grave goods and do something when you steal from them.
  • Hammers are good with the undead.
  • Some monsters now have different diets.
  • Add many new sound effects.
Fixes:

• Decos no longer lets you steal from him.
  • You can no longer leave the Black Market through walls.
  • Slightly nerf Black Mark

buffalo bill

Arcane
Very frustrating experience with ADOM just now. I've been playing on a computer that randomly shuts down sometimes, I think because of a power issue, which means I've been saving a lot. My character has been killing it—troll healer born under the sign of the raven, using the rune covered trident—and I literally just acquired the final chaos orb in the mana temple. I saved, and then the computer shut itself down. Thought to myself, "well, at least I saved". When I try to load, though, I get a message that says "Found invalid JSON object (while loading map)".

I tried deleting everything but the .bak from the save folder, but it didn't help (tried a few other thing also). Anyone every have an experience like this? Any advice? I'm playing the most recent ASCII version.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
CDDA has a new update.
The Ellison release adds a huge number of features and content that make the world feel more alive. From being able to climb onto building rooftops or hide behind cars, to building a camp for your followers in the wilderness, to exploring the new river and lake systems on a boat or raft, everything is more immersive and consistent. Also more STUFF. I didn't think we would ever double the number of game entities with a release again, but we did.

We aimed at a 6 month release cycle, and ended up spending 9 months adding features at a breakneck pace and 3 months putting the brakes on and stabilizing. I can't honestly say that's a huge disappointment, though toward the end the rest of the development team was really chomping at the bit to get back to feature work, so we'll need to continue to adjust.

We built a huge amount of infrastructure for having the game check its own consistency, which has and is going to continue to contribute to the amazing pace of feature and content additions we are experiencing. The development team is also larger and at the same time more cohesive than it has ever been before.

Explore all the new features with the attached release archives. Speaking of exploring, the list of available tilesets has shuffled a bit, so this is a great time to find your new favorite.

• Long distance automove feature for walking, driving and boating.
  • Extensive bugfixes to inter-level interactivity, on by default.
  • Riding animals and animal-pulled vehicles.
  • More flexible Basecamp construction options.
  • Default starting date changed to mid-spring for better survivability.
  • Time advancement is rationalized, a turn is now one second.
  • Extensive river and lake systems, and boat support for navigating them.
  • Expanded NPC usefulness and interactivity.
  • Massive increases in location variety and consistency, especially rooftops.
  • Expansion of mi-go faction with new enemies and locations.
  • Batteries now store charge instead of being pseudo-items.
  • Overhaul and rebalance of martial arts.
  • Zombie grabbing and biting more manageable and predictable.
  • Overhauled stamina and damage recovery for grittier gameplay.
  • Crouching movement mode allows hiding.
  • Magiclysm and Aftershock mods have first class support within the game.
Finally, see the changelog for the more complete (but still not comprehensive) listing of new features and contents https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/0.E/data/changelog.txt
I'll try it when I have some time.
Are the Magiclysm and Aftershock mods good? Never tried them and it sounds like there's a ton of new content anyway.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
CDDA has a new update.
The Ellison release adds a huge number of features and content that make the world feel more alive. From being able to climb onto building rooftops or hide behind cars, to building a camp for your followers in the wilderness, to exploring the new river and lake systems on a boat or raft, everything is more immersive and consistent. Also more STUFF. I didn't think we would ever double the number of game entities with a release again, but we did.

We aimed at a 6 month release cycle, and ended up spending 9 months adding features at a breakneck pace and 3 months putting the brakes on and stabilizing. I can't honestly say that's a huge disappointment, though toward the end the rest of the development team was really chomping at the bit to get back to feature work, so we'll need to continue to adjust.

We built a huge amount of infrastructure for having the game check its own consistency, which has and is going to continue to contribute to the amazing pace of feature and content additions we are experiencing. The development team is also larger and at the same time more cohesive than it has ever been before.

Explore all the new features with the attached release archives. Speaking of exploring, the list of available tilesets has shuffled a bit, so this is a great time to find your new favorite.

• Long distance automove feature for walking, driving and boating.
  • Extensive bugfixes to inter-level interactivity, on by default.
  • Riding animals and animal-pulled vehicles.
  • More flexible Basecamp construction options.
  • Default starting date changed to mid-spring for better survivability.
  • Time advancement is rationalized, a turn is now one second.
  • Extensive river and lake systems, and boat support for navigating them.
  • Expanded NPC usefulness and interactivity.
  • Massive increases in location variety and consistency, especially rooftops.
  • Expansion of mi-go faction with new enemies and locations.
  • Batteries now store charge instead of being pseudo-items.
  • Overhaul and rebalance of martial arts.
  • Zombie grabbing and biting more manageable and predictable.
  • Overhauled stamina and damage recovery for grittier gameplay.
  • Crouching movement mode allows hiding.
  • Magiclysm and Aftershock mods have first class support within the game.
Finally, see the changelog for the more complete (but still not comprehensive) listing of new features and contents https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/0.E/data/changelog.txt
I'll try it when I have some time.
Are the Magiclysm and Aftershock mods good? Never tried them and it sounds like there's a ton of new content anyway.
Huh so Z-level is native now? I think it was an experimental stuff taht's not much used?

GoranK

Grim Dev Studio
Developer
Hi, I'd like to share the game I've been developing with you. Any feedback is welcome as this is my first game ever and I'm learning on the fly. If you like it, a review on the app page would be much appreciated :)

Grim Quest is a classic turn-based RPG / Roguelike with gothic aesthetics and a retro vibe. It is set in a dark fantasy world with elements of lovecraftian horror and puts a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and immersion, drawing inspiration from games like Diablo and Darkest Dungeon, while it's combat system follows the traditional JRPG approach.

*** FEATURES ***

- immerse in a dark fantasy world with it's own history and lore
- defeat enemies in a classic turn-based combat using intuitive touch gestures
- manage you character's sanity or suffer unexpected consequences
- customize you character with 20 unique spells and 15 active & passive skills
- select one of 16 character backgrounds that each affect gameplay in a different way
- experience the game world through a variety of interactive, text-based events
- acquire 100+ weapons, acessories, consumable items and crafting ingredients
- complete quests and collect bounties
- manage defences of a besieged city
- relax or add suspense with 3 difficulty levels, optional permadeath and other adjustable settings for customizing the game to your liking

Get Grim quest for FREE at the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grimdev.grimquest

3image1.jpg

Screenshot-1587469998-1.jpg

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Hi, I'd like to share the game I've been developing with you. Any feedback is welcome as this is my first game ever and I'm learning on the fly. If you like it, a review on the app page would be much appreciated :)

Grim Quest is a classic turn-based RPG / Roguelike [...]

Looks good for a mobile game, but it's not a roguelike!

Maybe you should make your own thread in "General RPG Discussion" or "Codex Workshop" to get more feedback.

GoranK

Grim Dev Studio
Developer

Grim Quest is a classic turn-based RPG / Roguelike [...]

Looks good for a mobile game, but it's not a roguelike!

Maybe you should make your own thread in "General RPG Discussion" or "Codex Workshop" to get more feedback.

Thanks! Why is it not a roguelike, though? I found this on the wiki:

Roguelike (or rogue-like) is a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.

Grim Quest fits the description in every criteria.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Looks cool, except for

drawing inspiration from games like Diablo and Darkest Dungeon, while it's combat system follows the traditional JRPG approach.

intuitive touch gestures

manage defences of a besieged city

Could you be more specific?
Citing Diablo and Darkest Dungeon as your main inspirations is a bad sign because those games are not that great (well, Diablo has good atmosphere, but crap gameplay). Same for jRPGs.

"Intuitive touch gestures" sounds bad for two reasons: you have to do some annoying and unnecessary touch input to perform commands, and the game is being designed for mobile devices.

Base management is not generally a feature of roguelikes (CDDA excepted sort of), and in general involves terrible gameplay.

Re: whether your game is a roguelike, this comes down to an interpretation of what "roguelike" means. I am in favor of interpreting it narrowly as "a game like the original Rogue", rather than in a way which would allow any RPG with proc gen elements to count as a roguelike.

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Thanks! Why is it not a roguelike, though? I found this on the wiki:

Roguelike (or rogue-like) is a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.

Grim Quest fits the description in every criteria.

Just read the last few pages of this thread and look up the games people mention: Ivan, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Shadows of the Wyrm, Angband, Caves of Qud, DungeonCrawlStoneSoup,...

You'll notice the difference ;-)

If you're interested in roguelikes, this wiki has all informations you need to start: RL Wiki

buffalo bill said:
I am in favor of interpreting it narrowly as "a game like the original Rogue", rather than in a way which would allow any RPG with proc gen elements to count as a roguelike

Same here

GoranK

Grim Dev Studio
Developer
Fair points. To be completely honest I'm just a solo developer who's very new to all this, and Grim Quest is a weekend hobby project that got much further than I ever expected - I'm still trying to figure out how to present and market it. The fact that the game is very dark and tries to tell a serious story on a platform that's inherently casual doesn't help either (alas, mobile development is all I know how to do at the moment so that's that)

Anyways, thanks for the feedback! :)

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Fair points. To be completely honest I'm just a solo developer who's very new to all this, and Grim Quest is a weekend hobby project that got much further than I ever expected - I'm still trying to figure out how to present and market it. The fact that the game is very dark and tries to tell a serious story on a platform that's inherently casual doesn't help either (alas, mobile development is all I know how to do at the moment so that's that)

Don't let the genre thing get to you. Traditional RL fans are notoriously defensive of what constitutes 'a roguelike', because in recent years people have been calling rogue-lites / rogue-like-likes — games like Darkest Dungeon, or FTL, or Dead Cells, or Rogue Legacy — the same thing, which gets on people's nerves sometimes, because being a fan of one doesn't necessitate that you're a fan of the other. If you want to know more about it, read about the 'Berlin Interpretation'. I personally find it too conservative by far and appreciate Darren Grey's response, but I still understand why it gets to people.

Good luck with your game and any future endeavours.

Aemar

Arcane
Returning to ADOM after many, many years. The game always makes sure to remind the player that M also stands for masochism.

Is this game worth getting it?

index.php

Arcane
Brogue: Community Edition 1.8.3 - now with tiles

This release contains integration of Oryx's tiles, along with other UI and
quality of life improvements. Gameplay is identical to all 1.8 versions.

Download for Windows, Mac and Linux

Thanks to contributors kzved and flend.

Bug fixes
  • Fixed a bug where watching a replay to completion would cause a duplicate high
    score to appear
Other changes
  • Oryx's graphical tiles are now fully integrated. They can be enabled by
    pressing 'G' or by using the in-game menu. Compared to v1.8.1 tiles
    pre-release, this fixes some incorrect tiles being used for various game
    elements. (Note: unlike original Brogue Tiles, tiles are available at all
    window/font sizes, but due to scaling they only look crisp at a certain size.)
  • Improved the game's appearance on high-PPI/DPI displays. Also added some
    larger font sizes for better viewing on higher resolution displays in general
  • The full identified inventory is now shown on the post-victory screen
  • Pressing the PrintScreen key now saves a screenshot to the save directory
  • Numpad 5 (center) can be used to confirm targetting

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
As long as I abandoned the idea of always do 15 runes in dcss, my interest to it returned, at least partly, cause dcss has problem - in full rune playthrough every character is absolutely identical to other - all have magic, and melee and whatnot.
On the other hand, 3-5 runes run had not enough exp for that, so you specialize.
Tried Hunter - first Ogre as I wanted to fling ultimate shit (you will survive only if you find some dragon armor before Lair), then Human - he is the best.
YASD due me wanting to kill spectral crab in melee - despite having boomerangs, javelins and whatnot. Crazyness! Greed!
Yesterday got Mummy Hunter run - +8 slaying bonus + archer gloves so +12 damage to throwing/crossbow, armor with rF+++ for mummy!
YASD - guess what? Walked inside vault with spriggan riding hornets, one of them with holy spear, and moth of wrath.
And all I did was tabing - no potion petition from Jew demon, no throwing javelins which I had like 70, no dart throwing, no scrolls were read, no evocables were used which I have plenty. I just tried to tabeverything and died when spriggans got berserked.
GREED! MADNESS!

This is how all of my chars died resently. I just forget about any caution and try to CONSERVE shit I have tons of.

680x0

Learned
Been playing Katana Kami, a Way of the Samurai realtime online roguelike. Any fans of Ehrgeiz quest mode? no?

Not a true roguelike as it is not TB and has some permanent progression. Not too many people online but you can take bounties against "naughty" players ala Dark Souls. No big surprise that the top bounty (by a large margin) has a Chinese username...

Has some obscure mechanics and I still haven't gotten thru one loop yet, but it sucked up 15 hours and I thought I only played 2-3.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Been playing Katana Kami, a Way of the Samurai realtime online roguelike. Any fans of Ehrgeiz quest mode? no?

Not a true roguelike as it is not TB and has some permanent progression. Not too many people online but you can take bounties against "naughty" players ala Dark Souls. No big surprise that the top bounty (by a large margin) has a Chinese username...

Has some obscure mechanics and I still haven't gotten thru one loop yet, but it sucked up 15 hours and I thought I only played 2-3.
Is this the game you are talking about?

katana-kami-review_009.png
If so, this is not a roguelike in any sense.

680x0

Learned
I should have said rogue-lite or even "Ehrgeiz-like," I think part of the reason is the online multiplayer component. It is difficult to keep it TB for multiplayer, the permanent progression stuff is sadly present in all commercial Japanese roguish stuff, even the original Mystery Dungeon games. It was pretty fun doing some co-op with a random dude and then stun locking the guy with kicks after the boss was dead. You are right, by the Berlin interpretation it is not a roguelike, but I felt it was close enough for a major commercial release to be worth mentioning and supporting.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Trunk Updates 15 May 2020 and tentative 0.25 release tournament info
by ebering
The trunk updates explode into fragments!

Hello crawlers and welcome to the last featureful trunk update of the 0.25 cycle. We’re entering into feature freeze today, the remaining time before the 0.25 Release and Tournament will be devoted to bug fixes, balance tweaks, and polish—as well as implementing a new tournament scoring system. You can give your feedback on the proposed new system on the tavern. Tentatively the 0.25 Tournament will start on either May 29 or June 5, depending on the implementation of the new scoring system.

So as you oil up those tab keys and clean your monitors, lets look at the very latest round of changes you’ll face in the upcoming release (stay tuned for the full 0.25 changelog!):

• Abyss exits that spawn from earning xp can spawn after the initial spawn, instead of every subsequent spawn being a downstair.
  • A few Nemelex cards have changed:
    • The Pain card no longer summons flayed ghosts, instead it torments monsters at high power (not the card user, though)
    • The cloud card now places vision obscuring black smoke instead of damaging clouds
  • Tins of Tremorstones are now an XP charged evocable with 3 charges that scales with evocations and automatically targets the center of all visible monsters. Wands of Scattershot have been removed.
  • Several amulet, scarf, and cloak egos have been shuffled or adjusted:
    • Gourmand, Harm, and Rage amulets are no more.
    • Amulets of reflection now attune at full HP and give +5 SH. Additionally, piety is now properly given for reflected missiles, banishment, and poison damage.
    • Scarves of cloud immunity and spirit shield are removed; new scarf egos harm and invisibility are added.
    • Invisibility cloaks are no more (you need a scarf for that now!); cloaks can now grant stealth or preservation (corrosion resistance).
  • Jewelry with plusses now get constant plus values: strength, intelligence, and dexterity rings give either +6 or -4; protection, evasion, and slaying rings give either +4 or -4.
  • Summon Lightning Spire now places the spire on a random square.
  • Malign Gateway tentacles can no longer attack out of LOS and appear sooner after casting.
  • Scrolls of acquirement are now cancelable, allowing you to fully inspect your character, stash, etc. before making a decision. When you reread the scroll, you’ll get the same choices until you make a final selection.
  • Leech is now a (cosmetic) sloppy eater: large hits will sometimes turn monsters into large blood explosions!
  • Sceptre of Torment can now be used with spectral weapon. You’d just better be undead unless you want your spectral weapon to torment you!
  • An ASCII screenshots section has been added to morgues, and a screenshot is made there every time you take a note with the : key.
  • Target acquisition for the Foxfire and Conjure Ball Lightning spells has been improved so they only acquire targets within player LOS.
  • Formicids can no longer cast the spell Swiftness.
  • The option auto_butcher defaults to true and the option auto_butcher_max_chunks now defaults to 10.
  • The option explore_auto_rest now defaults to true.
  • Several usability improvements for visually impaired players have been implemented.
That wraps it up for this set of trunk updates. Stay tuned for more tournament details and until next time, happy crawling!
The burst of trunk updates engulfs you!! Ouch! That really hur

https://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/...20-and-tentative-0-25-release-tournament-info

I think I will try some runs when 0.25 is released. Wanna test the magic rework and finally win a caster character.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think I will try some runs when 0.25 is released. Wanna test the magic rework and finally win a caster character.

What magic rework?

Lightning Spire was rightfully nerfed, the rest is...

There have been many more changes lately in all magic schools. Check them in previous blog entries.

They say they want to make each school distinct, that's good. There are things I dont' like, but I have to play it to test it. I don't know exactly how to feel about what I have read. For example some spells removed like Regeneration or a general Necromancy nerf hammer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom