Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So yeah, I'm guessing they originally intended to use Skyhold during the finale. They've dedicated way too much time to it up to this point for me to think otherwise, and for whatever reason they decided to scrap that and go with a different ending.

Multi-headed Cow

Got to hinterlands and I'm starting to drag ass. Heard good things but I'm just not feeling it. Not even getting me with laughs like DA2 did. I've let friend Bruticis down by not getting in to DA3, kinda think it will be joining NWN1's OC as the only Bioware things I started I didn't finish, and partially joining ME3 in Bioware things I never started in the first place.

Holding to attack just blows my mind. That might be the single largest part that annoyed me. There's the normal Bioware dialog which has absolutely no flow "OH GOD I'VE COME AFLAME, HELP HELP" left part of the circle "I see you're on fire, is that hot?" "Yes it's very hot. It was hot this last week you know" then right part of the circle "GOOD HEAVENS YOU'RE ON FIRE LET ME HELP YOU" which always annoys me, bleh. Sending dudes on missions has potential but after my first batch of 3 came back I got... Some points and a blue-con item. Maybe there's hot C&C related to doff missions (There is a bit in Star Trek Online at least) but I don't have high enough hopes to want to keep playing. May load it up to see if hinterlands is better since that seems to be the first non-tutorial/prologue area but ehhhhh.

Tell you what though. I liked the buck teeth on my dwarf with his dapper pointed mustache. I had more enjoyment watching his face animate (Especially the smile, holy shit) than about anything else. The faces seemed to be the highlight of the graphics, apart from everyone looking really greasy. Saying "THEY WOULD BE GREASY IT'S MEDIEVAL OK THEY AREN'T WASHING THEIR FACES" flies out the window in the face of everything else in the game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Got to hinterlands and I'm starting to drag ass. Heard good things but I'm just not feeling it. Not even getting me with laughs like DA2 did. I've let friend Bruticis down by not getting in to DA3, kinda think it will be joining NWN1's OC as the only Bioware things I started I didn't finish, and partially joining ME3 in Bioware things I never started in the first place.

Holding to attack just blows my mind. That might be the single largest part that annoyed me. There's the normal Bioware dialog which has absolutely no flow "OH GOD I'VE COME AFLAME, HELP HELP" left part of the circle "I see you're on fire, is that hot?" "Yes it's very hot. It was hot this last week you know" then right part of the circle "GOOD HEAVENS YOU'RE ON FIRE LET ME HELP YOU" which always annoys me, bleh. Sending dudes on missions has potential but after my first batch of 3 came back I got... Some points and a blue-con item. Maybe there's hot C&C related to doff missions (There is a bit in Star Trek Online at least) but I don't have high enough hopes to want to keep playing. May load it up to see if hinterlands is better since that seems to be the first non-tutorial/prologue area but ehhhhh.

Tell you what though. I liked the buck teeth on my dwarf with his dapper pointed mustache. I had more enjoyment watching his face animate (Especially the smile, holy shit) than about anything else. The faces seemed to be the highlight of the graphics, apart from everyone looking really greasy. Saying "THEY WOULD BE GREASY IT'S MEDIEVAL OK THEY AREN'T WASHING THEIR FACES" flies out the window in the face of everything else in the game.
I've heard it becomes better after Skyhold.
It didn't get better after Skyhold.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I just don't wanna play the game anymore. I keep thinking it's gonna get better and it never gets any better because all the sidequests are shit and all the shit you can upgrade in Skyhold doesn't mean anything and al the sidequests are fucking fetch quests and alll you ever get are shitty weapons that are garbage compared to the ones you already have or a variant of the same suit of armor you've been wearing since the beginning of the fucking game in a different color and sera is the most fucking aggravatingly annoying character I've ever seen oh god people really want Bioware to make more of this fucking why

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It finally got better
it-got-better.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They realized the CoD audience isn't interested, so they're moving on to the Skyrim audience instead.

I'm someone who defends Skyrim on here as being "good for what it is" but Inquisition is still terrible. I don't think it gets anywhere close to capturing Skyrim's exploration, freedom or even quest design, which is really shockingly incompetent.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
With Skyrim I do not know what I will find in the world. In DAI I know exactly what I'll find - combat combat and more combat, plus endless ingredient looting.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They realized the CoD audience isn't interested, so they're moving on to the Skyrim audience instead.

I'm someone who defends Skyrim on here as being "good for what it is" but Inquisition is still terrible. I don't think it gets anywhere close to capturing Skyrim's exploration, freedom or even quest design, which is really shockingly incompetent.
If I, that think Skyrim is bad, and I'm usually more lenient with Bioware games while I bash Bethesda's, agree with that statement, means that Bioware really fucked it up with Inquisition. Even quest design is better in Skyrim as you say! And the main reason I heavily dislike Skyrim is it's quest design, how can you screw it up that badly that even something as awful as Skyrim quests are 10 times better than yours.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
There has already been talk of using the exact same "DA Keep" mechanism for ME4, so I have little doubt that it will be their method of resolving things.

Personally, I can't see them NOT picking a canon. Let's assume that Synthesis "wears off" or some bullshit like that... Control basically has an unbeatable army patrolling the galaxy, enforcing God Shephard justice. How could anything be a big enough threat that couldn't be just fixed with "giant Reaper police army?" Destroy could work pretty easily, but again - I think they will half ass it and act like they are respecting the Imports while, in reality, shitting on any type of consequence the choice was supposed to have.

Just like ALL Bioware Save Import choices.

When I saw how little impact my ME1 import to ME2 had, I knew I wouldn't invest in anymore Bioware games claiming to have C&C.

pippin

I thought ME4 was supposed to be a prequel?
If anything I hope it's a reboot because if there's any series that needs to be re-done it's Mass Effect.

There was an announcement of a "remaster"/remake thing of the whole ME series. Also if memory serves me well, Bio always talked about ME as a "trilogy", and the third game was supposed to be the final one. But capitalist pigs gonna capitalist pig, I guess.

Slow James

Savant

No, they realized a prequel that still leads into the ending of the trilogy was pointless.

The new game is said to exist "not before, during or after" the events of the original trilogy. To me, that says reboot. If so, then they may actually have a shot at recovering the franchise from the smoldering ruins of that ending.

Whats the difference between "go to that cave and kill all draugrs" and "go to that outpost and kill all red templars"?:lol:
Replace draugrs with vampire/bandits/snow elves and red templars with tevinter/demons/venatori and you have 90% of quests in both games. I dont see a fucking difference between shitty Radiant Quests from Skyrim and shitty fetch quests for power points in DAI.
And dont even start with Skyrim quest design. Its fucking shit compared to fucking Oblivion.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

No, they realized a prequel that still leads into the ending of the trilogy was pointless.

The new game is said to exist "not before, during or after" the events of the original trilogy. To me, that says reboot. If so, then they may actually have a shot at recovering the franchise from the smoldering ruins of that ending.

Take Mass Effect 1, use Mass Effect 2 combat system (or 3, which ever is better), remove everything Reapers, remove the illusion of C&C, create space epic of Spectres fighting crime lords like Saren?

Fuck, they could create a space version of shit like Criminal Minds or whatever. People would love that shit.

Slow James

Savant
Take Mass Effect 1, use Mass Effect 2 combat system (or 3, which ever is better), remove everything Reapers, remove the illusion of C&C, create space epic of Spectres fighting crime lords like Saren?

Fuck, they could create a space version of shit like Criminal Minds or whatever. People would love that shit.

Exactly. Throw in some inter-species tension, some exploration to alien worlds, some corporate politics/conspiracies... boom. That's a game I wouldn't mind playing. Instead, they got wrapped up in solving an unsolvable riddle with their antagonists that the entire game world rotted from within to the point where it didn't even make sense to function, let alone draw the player in.

Like I said - with a reboot, I might actually consider buying it. As is? All different kinds of nope.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Whats the difference between "go to that cave and kill all draugrs" and "go to that outpost and kill all red templars"?:lol:
Replace draugrs with vampire/bandits/snow elves and red templars with tevinter/demons/venatori and you have 90% of quests in both games. I dont see a fucking difference between shitty Radiant Quests from Skyrim and shitty fetch quests for power points in DAI.
And dont even start with Skyrim quest design. Its fucking shit compared to fucking Oblivion.
Radiant quests aren't the only quests in Skyrim.

The thing is Skyrim at least puts a dungeon between your objective (a bad dungeon, but that's why its a shitty game), DAI I don't think it even has 10 dungeons in total, and they're extremely short.
That's my ponit of view anyway, as someone who despise both games, maybe DalekFlay can give you a better argument for that.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

The thing is Skyrim at least puts a dungeon between your objective (a bad dungeon, but that's why its a shitty game), DAI I don't think it even has 10 dungeons in total, and they're extremely short.
That's my ponit of view anyway, as someone who despise both games, maybe DalekFlay can give you a better argument for that.
yes there are also guilds quests(thieves guild :lol: ) which are even shittier and than there is that masterpiece called "main quest" :lol: Compare it to Oblivions "Whodunit" quest :salute:

There are bigger dungeons in DAI like knights tomb in Emerald Graves or that elven temple. They are shit but compared to Skyrims "draugr+same shitty puzzle+draugr lord+chest+dragon word" its just different kind of shit. Like difference between stomach flu and diarrhea:M

Slow James

Savant

I'm going to get labeled a story fag for this, but an example of a great Skyrim quest was one where you returned a dagger from one priest to another in Whiterun.

The design of the quest was as "delivery boy" as you can get. NPC has an item, doesn't have time to take it where it needs to go, asks you, you run to another town, talk to an NPC, then return to the quest giver for a reward.

The part where this quest shines is the character development. The quest giver, Alessandra, starts out bitter and disappointed with her life, complaining that she hates the life her father left her, making her pick up the slack of being a priestess of the dead after he died suddenly. Out of contempt she did not return his dagger to the priesthood and gives the quest to you as more of a "whatever" in terms of priority.

Yet once you deliver the dagger, she talks about how she suddenly felt closure with her father and the life she now lives, saying she is read to embrace her role as being the support for those who have loved ones who pass away. Or some other business... the point? I felt like my character had changed the life of someone for the better, which is more than I can say to countless other quests; even larger quests like the Mages or Thieves guild.

To me, quest DESIGN doesn't even have to be complicated. Just make the reasons and development behind it more fulfilling and suddenly it becomes a quest worth doing, instead of just another item on the player's To Do list.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/15/Review-Dragon-Age-Inquisition

First off, it's worth explaining some historical context. Most of the worst things in the world come from Canada. Consider Shania Twain. Justin Bieber. Bryan Adams. Rufus Wainwright. Tom Green. Avril Lavigne. Michael Cera. Céline Dion. Nickelback. BioWare, developers of Dragon Age, are also Canadian.

CANADA!
He forgot Humanity has risen!
Oh, worst.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom