Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That list of bestselling Holiday games? Far Cry is #6 of 10 and can expect like 10,000,000 sales.

So by that logic everyone should make Tetris or Minecraft games because, by comparison, everything else sells fuck-all... whoop-de-do, you found a game that sells better than a currently selling RPG, what, you want an RPG permanently in the top 10 or else you're going to cry doom and despair like a comedic parody character?

Okay. Let me try it a different way.

Action shooters (first and third person) made up 51% of total games sold last year. RPGs like 7%. 7% includes the Elder Scrolls series.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Oh, right, your comparing RPGs to First Person Shooters. Why? I've no idea. Apparently 7% of all computer game sales aren't good enough. I guess we'll all have to give up and just make shooters because they did well last year. Derp.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
yes there are also guilds quests(thieves guild :lol: ) which are even shittier and than there is that masterpiece called "main quest" :lol: Compare it to Oblivions "Whodunit" quest :salute:

There are bigger dungeons in DAI like knights tomb in Emerald Graves or that elven temple. They are shit but compared to Skyrims "draugr+same shitty puzzle+draugr lord+chest+dragon word" its just different kind of shit. Like difference between stomach flu and diarrhea:M

I think Slow James covered this well, but the main difference is context, story and unique content. 90% of Inquisition's quests are given to you by notes or a two sentence bit of dialog that's retardedly simple and pointless. 90% of Inquisition's quests are on the main map, and near bigger quests you have to do. 90% of Inquisition's quests feature no additional story or choice or dialog of any kind after receiving said quest.

In contrast Skyrim, while still being much worse in these areas than say Fallout: New Vegas, still has a lot more context, unique aspects and dungeon or fort attacks related to quests than Inquisition does. You'll be told about a vampire someone let loose, go into the mountains to hunt said vampire, then return and get a story epilogue and gift. In Inquisition this quest would be a note in an abandoned shack that says "vampire on the loose" and then you randomly kill him while doing something else and the quest ends right there.

Skyrim's quest design mostly sucks ass, so it's a shame I have to try and prop it up, but the simple fact of the matter is I would take Skyrim's quest design and explorable world over Inquisition's in a fucking heartbeat, which should tell you how bad those two aspects of Inquisition are.

Drakron

Arcane
That list of bestselling Holiday games? Far Cry is #6 of 10 and can expect like 10,000,000 sales.

Really?
I cannot find Far Cry 4 numbers but even at week 1 in the UK it entered at 2, guess who was first? GTA 5.

They are saying its the fastest Far Cry on sales, not their most successful series, that still CoD by far as not even ONE far Cry title entered the best selling list, even Far Cry 3 didnt entered the list, the bar is 15 million as the current UK chart have Far Cry 4 at 4th, CoD is 2nd.

Far Cry is NOTHING compared with CoD and we already have the yearly BF vs CoD fight ... EA didnt drop everything to make the same game again and again (outside their sport titles) and even Ubisoft looks beyond CoD because they dont want to end up like Eidos that relied on Tomb Raider for sales.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh, right, your comparing RPGs to First Person Shooters. Why? I've no idea. Apparently 7% of all computer game sales aren't good enough. I guess we'll all have to give up and just make shooters because they did well last year. Derp.

... why does it matter to you whether RPGs have a big market share or not?

Anyway, the thrust of my argument is that all the design compromises Bioware/EA make aren't going to put a Dragon Age game on the top 10 list of any country's units sold chart. In the end, they'll be fortunate to sell somewhat more than Dragon Age: Origins at a considerably greater expense than just making a proper Origins sequel would have required.

Really?
I cannot find Far Cry 4 numbers but even at week 1 in the UK it entered at 2, guess who was first? GTA 5.

They are saying its the fastest Far Cry on sales, not their most successful series, that still CoD by far as not even ONE far Cry title entered the best selling list, even Far Cry 3 didnt entered the list, the bar is 15 million as the current UK chart have Far Cry 4 at 4th, CoD is 2nd.

Far Cry is NOTHING compared with CoD and we already have the yearly BF vs CoD fight ... EA didnt drop everything to make the same game again and again (outside their sport titles) and even Ubisoft looks beyond CoD because they dont want to end up like Eidos that relied on Tomb Raider for sales.

10,000,000 lifetime sales. Whereas, Mass Effect 3 will have 6,000,000 lifetime sales. 1 gets to be #2 in the charts against heavily Holiday competition, the other might scrape #10 maybe.

mastroego

Arcane
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/15/Review-Dragon-Age-Inquisition

First off, it's worth explaining some historical context. Most of the worst things in the world come from Canada. Consider Shania Twain. Justin Bieber. Bryan Adams. Rufus Wainwright. Tom Green. Avril Lavigne. Michael Cera. Céline Dion. Nickelback. BioWare, developers of Dragon Age, are also Canadian.

CANADA!

Thanks, funny read, even though I stopped half-way as it is too long.

awkwardly shoehorning minority characters and progressive messaging into its plots and meddling with storylines to push political agendas that have never resonated with ordinary gamers. Practically every release from BioWare now contains dozens of gay and lesbian romance storylines or sex scenes, which many young gamers find baffling.
Obviously I agree with this guy. And it doesn't sound like rocket science to me, but what do I know.

I really don't give a shit that for most of you dice roll and end turn are the best things since sliced bread and history should just stop there.Spare me the butthurt.

Liking real time more than turn based is not the comical element in your posts, it's the factually wrong statements parroted ( :M ) from shitty game journalism that can be debunked by 30 seconds at wikipedia's games section.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
So if I'm reading MicoSelva Lets Play of BG2 correctly, the awesome button in Bioware games has been around in some shape or form for quite some time now.

Ironic that Baldur's Gate 2 was the start of the decline considering how much praise it gets.

Any good RPG could have easily been the start of the decline had it gained sufficient popularity. If you take any game's flaws and magnify them to the extreme then you'll have garbage and decline. But unfortunately that seems to be the tried and true publisher method for widening their audience.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I really don't give a shit that for most of you dice roll and end turn are the best things since sliced bread and history should just stop there.Spare me the butthurt.

Liking real time more than turn based is not the comical element in your posts, it's the factually wrong statements parroted ( :M ) from shitty game journalism that can be debunked by 30 seconds at wikipedia's games section.

Fuckers like this doesn't even warrant a reply.
Take him outside, hang by a tree and just shot. Serve to vultures.

set

Arcane

So by that logic everyone should make Tetris or Minecraft games because, by comparison, everything else sells fuck-all... whoop-de-do, you found a game that sells better than a currently selling RPG, what, you want an RPG permanently in the top 10 or else you're going to cry doom and despair like a comedic parody character?

Okay. Let me try it a different way.

Action shooters (first and third person) made up 51% of total games sold last year. RPGs like 7%. 7% includes the Elder Scrolls series.

That doesn't mean anything though. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, if game developers don't believe in RPGs, they aren't made, thus, they won't sell, thus, people will become accustomed to not playing RPGs, thus their audience will shrink, etc. It's a negative feedback loop.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
That doesn't mean anything though. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, if game developers don't believe in RPGs, they aren't made, thus, they won't sell, thus, people will become accustomed to not playing RPGs, thus their audience will shrink, etc. It's a negative feedback loop.

That's actually a positive feedback loop though. In a negative loop, the decrease in production would stimulate demand for more RPGs.

Zeriel

Arcane
They won't do a save import because of the different console toys involved, same as Inquisition. I guess they could do the same "pick your choices app" thing as they did with this game, but if ME4 is set in a much different time with completely new characters I would hope they wouldn't bother, and would just pick a cannon or not even mention reapers once (which is what they should do).

There has already been talk of using the exact same "DA Keep" mechanism for ME4, so I have little doubt that it will be their method of resolving things.

Personally, I can't see them NOT picking a canon. Let's assume that Synthesis "wears off" or some bullshit like that... Control basically has an unbeatable army patrolling the galaxy, enforcing God Shephard justice. How could anything be a big enough threat that couldn't be just fixed with "giant Reaper police army?" Destroy could work pretty easily, but again - I think they will half ass it and act like they are respecting the Imports while, in reality, shitting on any type of consequence the choice was supposed to have.

Just like ALL Bioware Save Import choices.

When they were first talking about ME4, they were talking about setting it far away from the first games. I really hope they stick to that. Incorporating past choices would be awful, all my hopes for ME4 were pinned on it being a fresh start.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
When I saw how little impact my ME1 import to ME2 had, I knew I wouldn't invest in anymore Bioware games claiming to have C&C.

ME3 was pretty heavily shaped by ME2, though. Krogan golden ending: Not accessible if you'd been a conservative research-deleting dick in ME2. Quarian+Geth golden ending: needed at least both Tali and Legion alive from ME2, and Legion was the hardest companion to get loyalty from (because of bad design, I freely admit).

each of those only differed in a single cutscene, but it was a -powerful- cutscene. undermined completely by the ending that asserted that the game'd been about a theme it never had been, of course, and Shep not being able to say 'wait a minute, all you need to do is shout at robots to make them and meatpeople be friends.' but leaving aside the anemic ending, ME3 put some real production cost into rewarding playing well in the previous games with better outcomes in the third.

Bioware is capable of some great moments. if you didn't have an emotion at Mordin's several deaths in ME3, I'm pretty sure you're not human. that they don't turn those great moments into great franchises is a mystery--is it budget constraints? is it that they just luck into genius fleetingly? no real way to know. but it's a mistake to say they can't do anything right. they just can't do -enough- right, and their scope is so triple A epic that they can't keep things subdued and concise enough only to use the bits they do get right.

Prime Junta

Re ME4, I'd settle for lore that makes some kind of sense, a plot that isn't full of holes, and environments that don't all look like shopping malls or bombed-out parking garages. They managed that much for DA:I so it's not entirely hopeless. Originality, creative twists on space opera tropes, or sidequests that are more engaging than "bring Lord Ploon 5 doodads and 15 widgets and get a shiny" is rather too much to expect from BioWare.

Also the Tuchanka arc was actually pretty good actually. If they can pull the rest of it up to the same level, it'd actually be worth playing, even with the RPG-lite character building and mediocre cover shooter combat. (Both of which are way better than DA:I, to stay marginally on topic.)

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
even with the RPG-lite character building and mediocre cover shooter combat. (Both of which are way better than DA:I, to stay marginally on topic.)

has there ever really been an RPG with powerful character building? it's always either "build yourself shit" or "build yourself broken"

but at least the shooter combat manages to be active, rather than DAI's faux-MMO waiting-on-cooldowns style. MMOs are usually a lot better. sometimes I wish we had more dialogue-driven/C&C narrative games built in a God of War style. give me some fucking gameplay, jfc.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
When I saw how little impact my ME1 import to ME2 had, I knew I wouldn't invest in anymore Bioware games claiming to have C&C.

ME3 was pretty heavily shaped by ME2, though. Krogan golden ending: Not accessible if you'd been a conservative research-deleting dick in ME2. Quarian+Geth golden ending: needed at least both Tali and Legion alive from ME2, and Legion was the hardest companion to get loyalty from (because of bad design, I freely admit).

each of those only differed in a single cutscene, but it was a -powerful- cutscene. undermined completely by the ending that asserted that the game'd been about a theme it never had been, of course, and Shep not being able to say 'wait a minute, all you need to do is shout at robots to make them and meatpeople be friends.' but leaving aside the anemic ending, ME3 put some real production cost into rewarding playing well in the previous games with better outcomes in the third.

Bioware is capable of some great moments. if you didn't have an emotion at Mordin's several deaths in ME3, I'm pretty sure you're not human. that they don't turn those great moments into great franchises is a mystery--is it budget constraints? is it that they just luck into genius fleetingly? no real way to know. but it's a mistake to say they can't do anything right. they just can't do -enough- right, and their scope is so triple A epic that they can't keep things subdued and concise enough only to use the bits they do get right.
Hm... :4/5:

reboot after ME3 ending is the only way to go but i fucking doubt they will do that. they would alienate a huge part of their fandom that "loooooooved ME3 but for those last 10 minutes":negative: all those Talifags, Miranda best waifu, Thane`s husbando and shit :roll:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ci-thal-del DLC proved Bioware right: the fans LOVE the characters.
It was the Best Selling DLC ever.
Fuck tank-driving.
All they want to do is interact with their imaginary friends before going on to a suicide mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom