Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If the game had rape wolves it might be worth playing.
But then you'd just have to fetch them 10 wolfwomen.
No honestly, the side content is shit.
It's like they just sideline all open world content to MMO type of fillers and call it a day.
150 hours to engage players, fun is optional, just fucking engage them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's like they just sideline all open world content to MMO type of fillers and call it a day.

To be fair they're trying to make money and people cum all over this shit for some reason.

RK47

Patron

To be fair they're trying to make money and people cum all over this shit for some reason.

Yeah I know but really there's 'engaging' and 'gameplay' to be considered.
Let's put it this way. You have this shit in Skyrim but I can understand that collecting 10 deer furs to craft up your blacksmithing skills will take time.
Why? Because killing those animals will take effort. You had to chase them down and sometimes it leads to crazy situations like running into a group of vampires at night or a giant camp.
You can't auto aim and kill it without thought. Skyrim actually had a better gameplay in their sandbox.

Contrast this to this Monument of Vidya Game Decline where you just tab target to the goat and tell your brave band of inquisitors to nuke 10 goats.
Fuck. I wish I can tell my party to loot it for me too. Fucking shit. What is so engaging about this? NONE AT ALL!

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
It's incredible how they pour money and years worth of effort (even if only some minimal amount) into making games get progressively worse. It's not like they are even competing with other RPG's in the graphics department so they don't have that excuse. The weird linear choices in the story are only resources intensive because of the quantity of voice acting required. The gameplay has degenerated into something 1mb nes games could do better (yet somehow it takes up tens of gb's). The characters are no longer appealing in any fashion, visual or otherwise. The story seems incredibly predictable, copied from other sources. I don't understand what EA pays Bioware for? Fucked up when simply the name of the company completely outweighs literately anythings that falls out of it's ass.

RK47

Patron
I didn't expect much. I thought after DA2 it cannot get any worse.
But I was wrong.
They proved me absolutely wrong.

Congratulations. :hahano:

imweasel

"I need you to bring back 10 hunks of sheep meat from 10 sheep to feed the hungry villagers."

imVKw8K.jpg
Dafuq. Origin refuses to give me back my money. :mad:

There is no refund link to click on and the customer service is completely incompetent too... I have to try again.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dafuq. Origin refuses to give me back my money. :mad:

There is no refund link to click on and the customer service is completely incompetent too... I have to try again.

All I did was click it and choose "other" for reason, got the refund approved right away. I played for 7 hours, if that matters.

imweasel

All I did was click it and choose "other" for reason, got the refund approved right away. I played for 7 hours, if that matters.
I only played for 5 hours, so that can't be it. I'll raise some hell there and see if that solves the problem.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Quite interesting variation of Metacritic reviews by platform:
iHF37Ke.png
OZVsaA3.png
ehuGJYP.png
Anyway, PC rating keeps going down and the only green one is with PS4. Maybe the more expensive the game, the more favorable the review.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Hmm weirdly enough the summary for the game on different platform is different. Mostly same meaning and format, but worded differently in some places.
I've been wanting to try this out, but watching RK's LP would be leaps and bounds more entertaining, lol.

Strayed

Educated
Southern Hemisphere's Canada (New Zealand)
Class based? Wow, just look at all the classes in this game! Three of them, by god! I feel so happy that we get three whole classes with staggering depth and mechanics specific to each and every one of them, not just recoloured particle effects! I feel absolutely blessed. Older games? Pfft. They only had all those classes because the system couldn't do all that complicated work we can now. Truly this generation of RPGs is far superior to that of yesteryear.

Naraya

Arcane
Anyway, PC rating keeps going down and the only green one is with PS4. Maybe the more expensive the game, the more favorable the review.
Hmm, I'm quite sure it's connected with people trying to convince themselves that buying the game was money well spent (the bigger the cost, the larger this effect gets) and reinforce the feeling that it's a good game, overlooking everything that is wrong with it.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Metacritic is funny as hell, but not very useful since most "reviews" are by drones or haters.

Im curious how the sales divide between pc and console. Judging by the minimal effort BW put in the RSI inducing control scheme for mkb users, they didnt think much of the pc market.

From experience i know that designing a good ui is essential for user acceptance, difficult, time consuming and requires vast amount of skill. Business logic i can progam in my lunchbreak. Also i regularly give users prototypes and watch them work with the software, this gives invaluable info. If you cannot deliver in the ui department dont market your fucking software. Spend more time, or only deliver on platforms where you can. Free tips for BW right here.

RK47

Patron
It's not the UI that's shit.
The overall consideration of gameplay is just not there.
Not there at all.
Fuck. I played a few MMOs and I'm shocked to say they had more depth than what Bioware radiant quest offers.
Even their failed MMO, SWTOR had more appeal to me when I first started than their tutorial.
The fact that their combat being completely shit when compared to most MMOs is insane.
Hold LMB to attack repeatedly in both melee and autolock range? WUUUUUUT?
Why the fuck do they not think of the issues before implementing these?! It doesn't make any sense!
Tactical view with liimited field of vision when you can see clearly your target from third person view.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

30 KFCS DOWN THE DRAIN.
AT LEAST I LOST WEIGHT.
FUCKING HELL.
PANBESY PILLS CONSUMED

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Naturally your UI must give access to meaningful or entertaining content...Its kind of the reason for being.

As a developer im most amazed by the poor ui though, considering resources available to BW. Just as i was amazed at the amateurish first efforts of the WL2 ui, where users actually came up with better, and more professional interfaces.

RK47

Patron
So, if this is a single-player MMO, how does it compare to Secret World, SWTOR, and Elder Scrolls Online (lol)?

Look that's just not fair even if I prefer to play TOR over this shit. But honestly what did kill DA3 was when I discovered a fucking weapon recipe in a huge chest hidden in the middle of the forest.

That's just fucking stupid.

People like finding hidden loot. Not discovering craft recipes and being spammed with raw material nodes while exploring.

They failed so hard at the gameplay or rewarding time spent in the game with anything positive.

mastroego

Arcane
Please, don't pimp your own review.

It was obviously not mine. Why would I have a metacritic account? LOL

Also, I'm very sure that it's satire.

It's still bumping up the user scores by 10 points, so it's practically indistinguishable from a positive review for the uninitiated.
I thought the same as first, then I realized it's brilliant.
Some readers will dismiss 0 score reviews, or they're hoping for a good game so they'll actually read this one first.
Then they'll see the error of their ways and repent :D
(ok, that might not happen)

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Wow i must say most of the haters group seems to be overreacting children with 1st world problems, like "oh now my iPad is blue, not yellow" etc.
And what is more fascinating why they are spending so much time to hate this game if they are not going to play it? It's crazy, if i don't like something i could criticize 1 or 2 times and let it be, while stay away and forget.
But buying the game that i don't like and then making shitty movies after is just sick. So i wish you a lot of mental health, peace.
My 5 cents [ i don't care about other reviews as always, becouse it tells nothing for me and in this case a lot of people just hate becouse its "trendy" to hate EA, and Bioware ]:

It looks like amazing game, already bought it and i think it is best crpg this year next to Divinity: Original Sin or Xulima. Ammount of lore, attention to detail are impressive here. Very talented people must work at this crpg, and ammount of work they put to make this one of the most "living" and "breathing" crpg world is HUGE, if i can describe Inquisition in one sentence it will be: DA:Origins meets Mass Effect and Skyrim plus classic crpg "feeling". It has everything you need from fine crpg, good story [of course its naive - like in every fukin game , they are just games, even Torment was just "fairy tale"], interesting universe with deep lore, great characters [ and trust me they are great - somewhere between Mordin or Wrex from ME in Bioware terms]. As for combat, you can play it in more classic way with pause or almost like Mass Effect plus Origins way. And argues about comabt are "everlasting" disscusion as long as crpgs exists, i remeber how many was shocked when Ulitma Underworld hit the shelves haha. In real life you don't have pause when fight, same in some crpg titles starting with very old titles to this day games like Skyrim, problem is that it is very hard to implement proper "effect" of reality when you "fight" on screen with mouse and keyboard/ pad. On the other hand turn-based combat with it's slow pace is great too, like in D:OS , Fallouts, but far from "real world" dynamics. It's matter of taste only and i think each of these solutions be it real-time combat or turn based, is good when properly implemented into game. One thing i was afraid the most before i played personally was characters. They looked pretty strange, uninteresting and just "not as i expected them to look" . But after some time i must say they are really good, different from each other and for sure memorable. All that shitting about them is just a crap. They are very good Npc's, with fine writing , strong backgrounds and as in ME series they play huge role in the story. They are not just generic, and static npc's like in most crpg's with few dialogue lines and over. So it's big plus. Graphics and musics are just groundbreaking, especially music is excellent. Ammount of quests and activities could make your head hurt and that's good.
Game is also polished nice, i don't have any bugs so far, crashes or problems with bad optimization. And game is far, far better as crpg than Skyrim [and im die-hard and dedicated Elder Scrolls universe fan], much more interesting, and at least don't need 40gb of mods to be fine crpg. User Interface is clear and handy, Codex in game is just great, lore ammount just makes your head explode.
And biggest pos. for me in this game: it's world looks and feel like real fantasy world as a whole, that just exist somewhere. Great thing. Every good crpg should give it's players that feeling.
One thing im interested most is mod support and possiblity to have any modding tools like creation kits for ES or Nwn2 editors. It will be great to have such strong base of real mods here, not just poor "big bobs" and "nice hairs" shit mods like for previous DA games. I think Bioware should go for full community base and release that kind of tools, but with Ea as owner i think it's close to impossible. And it is one main letdown as mods for crpgs are great way to make them live "forever".

So if you want bitch about it further but truth is that DA:I will be remembered as one of the finest crpgs in modern history of that genre, period. So my answer for "buy it or not" is: Buy, You won't regret unless you are retarded kid or just sad and "too serious" for games old dick, who hates everything but Torment and Fallout ;) .

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A friend of mine who is a bit more involved in Bioware crowd, and followed the game more closely, told me that Bioware developers said on Twitch that the Frostbite engine was completely unsuitable for ane RPG an it took a huge number of work hours (9 years worth, I think?) to modify it, which was the majority of development time for the game.

He also mentioned they had to hire a guy specifically to keep track of retcons, because writers (Gaider included) kept using/alluding to stuff that was retroactively removed from official lore. :lol:

On a different note - has anyone had any luck running this below minimal specs? Mostly I mean system RAM. I was thinking of gifting this to a couple of friends for Christmas (yeah I know, but they requested it) and their PC only has 3 GBs of RAM (minimal specs list 4 GBs).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom