Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

norolim

Arcane
Witcher UI, including inventory is manageable but there's no doubt CDPR designed it for consoles and went from there. E.g. inventory shortucts are very counterintuitive for M&K. I agree it was improved vastly since release, though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fanta, you should post on drugs more often.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga i won't waste drugs on internet shit lol,not that sad of a bastard :). I do drugs when i am out with me mates and having a party. Tho to be honest,getting old for that shit and it is not as fun as use to be,you know how it is,with age you grow out of some things.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even with all the updates, there are some very irksome things about Witcher 3's UI coming from the console UI design - like the fact that you have to move between sections - inventory, alchemy, beastiary, etc - by clicking these horrible arrows on the top of the screen. Or the accordion-based sections in the Alchemy, Beastiary, Characters sections. Or the radial menu where you have to scroll to select your middle mouse action or active sign.

jackofshadows

Magister
the fact that you have to move between sections - inventory, alchemy, beastiary, etc - by clicking these horrible arrows on the top of the screen. Or the accordion-based sections in the Alchemy, Beastiary, Characters sections. Or the radial menu where you have to scroll to select your middle mouse action or active sign.
You don't have to (unlike in DD or even subj iirc) if use hotkeys. Not for every section maybe but at least for the most needed like inventory or bestiary. And for every usable sign, obviously.

norolim

Arcane
[...] like the fact that you have to move between sections - inventory, alchemy, beastiary, etc - by clicking these horrible arrows on the top of the screen.
Or you could use PgUp, PgDn ;)

Or the radial menu where you have to scroll to select your middle mouse action or active sign.
There are hotkeys for all the signs, but they don't work as a prestigious Codexer would expect, because they are consolised. Instead of using the sign by pressing a hotkey, you select it and then have to press another key to actually cast it...
...:negative:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's visually and functionally designed for consoles.

Can't say I've had any issue with the UI honestly. Normal bar at the bottom for abilities and such, normal HUD map on the bottom left, etc. Menus are typical lists. Walking around pressing 'F' on things is pretty normal. Yes it was designed around a controller but so was every AAA game the last 15 years. Only thing I dislike is the long animations when attacking making it slow and cumbersome to keep hitting them when they move, and that's the same with a controller.

norolim

Arcane
I get the impression Nano is an equivalent of an antifa soyboy, hiding behind girls and trying to hit people in the head with a bike lock. And when he actually manages to hit someone, he runs away squealing, partly out of excitement and partly out of fear.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fanta, you should post on drugs more often.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga i won't waste drugs on internet shit lol,not that sad of a bastard :). I do drugs when i am out with me mates and having a party. Tho to be honest,getting old for that shit and it is not as fun as use to be,you know how it is,with age you grow out of some things.

It gets worse, trust me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not saying this game is good, but it's ten times better when you ignore 70% of it. Many have said that before, so I'm not saying anything new, but wow is it true. There's plenty of unique items so you don't need to craft (indeed it arguably makes the game worse), and you can easily level enough to finish the game by just focusing on the core content of main missions, companion missions and closing rifts and such. The game is tremendously improved by ignoring all the stupid crafting pickups and the "collect 10 goat hides" quests. Also for the love of god play a ranged character, archer or mage.

Not saying this game is good, but it's ten times better when you ignore 70% of it. Many have said that before, so I'm not saying anything new, but wow is it true. There's plenty of unique items so you don't need to craft (indeed it arguably makes the game worse), and you can easily level enough to finish the game by just focusing on the core content of main missions, companion missions and closing rifts and such. The game is tremendously improved by ignoring all the stupid crafting pickups and the "collect 10 goat hides" quests. Also for the love of god play a ranged character, archer or mage.

This game is not good, it's amazing, much better than Origins.

Yosharian

Arcane

This game is not good, it's amazing, much better than Origins.
What the fuck is wrong with you

This is like one of the all time worst takes

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
He clearly meant "an authentication methods enthusiast". Learn your words, man.

This is so true it hurts. If you remove the worthless repetitive uninspired stuff, the game is so much better, since the content that revolves around companions can be fun and worth experiencing if you are into that. I hope one day the mainstream videogames world will be able to accept that a 10-20 hours game full of unique quality content is better than a 100 hours one full of boring, menial and repetitive tasks.

Last edited:

Both have simplistic and generic writing, if you think Origins characters and main quest are anything special you have too much nostalgia and don't remember the game. Inquisition has vast and beautiful areas. Origins just has claustrophobic ugly corridors and too much mundane combat, it doesnt matter if it's more tactical when you're fighting that much cannon fodder, the balance between combat/exploration is way off.

Inquisition has big big flaws, but its still a very beautiful game (thanks to Frostbite) with an amazing OST. Dragon Age Origins has nothing going for it, it was bad in 2009, its worse now.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Both have simplistic and generic writing, if you think Origins characters and main quest are anything special you have too much nostalgia and don't remember the game. Inquisition has vast and beautiful areas. Origins just has claustrophobic ugly corridors and too much mundane combat, it doesnt matter if it's more tactical when you're fighting that much cannon fodder, the balance between combat/exploration is way off.

Inquisition has big big flaws, but its still a very beautiful game (thanks to Frostbite) with an amazing OST. Dragon Age Origins has nothing going for it, it was bad in 2009, its worse now.
Inquisition also has a long-needed jump button.

And this, Yosharian, is the actual /Thread.

alyvain

Learned
Both have simplistic and generic writing, if you think Origins characters and main quest are anything special you have too much nostalgia and don't remember the game..

I appreciate they tried to implement characters' agenda (arl Eamon is a good guy but he most probably do want to manipulate the king, etc.) and introduce some elements implicitly, instead of presenting them outright. But I agree that narratively it's no good. The game is divided into self-contained stories, most of them aren't that special. I'm not sure you can even say that there is a "main quest", because of how fragmented this game is. FFS, you can see the effects of the Blight on Ferelden, which the game is supposedly about, only in random encounters and destroyed Lothering which you have nothing interested to do in anyway. You can also see that the develompent was rushed at some point (or maybe they just stopped trying in Denerim?). There are also plenty of choices, maybe more than in any Bioware game, but no consequences whatsoever.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the companions, but I agree that they're no better than in Inquisition or DA2.

I'm not commenting on game mechanics, because both Origins and Inquisition seem boring to me, but both have their moments.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Story wise all three have that cheesy Bioware writing and plotting that you either love, tolerate or can't stand. I don't really see a massive difference between them. I'm mostly in the tolerate camp, though I do enjoy the lore of Dragon Age way more than the actual story beats.

Either way, Origins is super obviously the best game because its combat is a million times better, trash mobs or not.

There's plenty of unique items so you don't need to craft (indeed it arguably makes the game worse)
Looting and crafting are counter-intuitive ti each other, if you get one going, the other is completely unecessary
you can easily level enough to finish the game by just focusing on the core content of main missions, companion missions and closing rifts and such
We probably played different games, I was constantly denied progress for lacking "power" or whatnot.

Yet another fussshite zombie who thinks color diarrhea is beatiful regardless of story and world building, if you enjoy minute long pauses as the game tries to load, going through a collectathon borefest is nothing.

Inquisition also has a long-needed jump button.
Needed for what? The only thing the jump button is needed for in Inquisishit (and The Witcher 3 (and many derivatives)), is getting out of the many quagmires the out of place open world design would eventually put you in, it makes BGS's crap third person gameplay look like some top notch platformer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom