Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Parabalus Erebus gurugeorge Thanks team! Good to hear that the DLC doesn't impact the base game. Grabbing now, sounds like I can always pick up the SP later if I need more content.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Parabalus Erebus gurugeorge Thanks team! Good to hear that the DLC doesn't impact the base game. Grabbing now, sounds like I can always pick up the SP later if I need more content.

Just to add to the previous answers, the DLC don't impact the base game story. But they pick it up where it ends and continue with it seamlessly.

The 1st DLC is a short adventure with "choice and consequence";
the 2nd DLC stands a bit apart as it happens "in a dream", still continuing the 1nd one;
and the 3rd DLC, by the looks of it, will finish the story started in the 1st.

So yeah, you can absolutely ignore the DLCs, but if (when!) you decide to get a bit more of Naheulbeuk action - they provide a great alternative to replaying the game itself.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I grabbed it from Fanatical too because I had an extra -5% coupon lying about. I'll probably grab the DLCs at a steep discount a year down the line if the base game appeals to me, lol.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played a bit this morning and already am super impressed with the game. I'm playing on "Epic Gest", whatever that means, and already the very first combat kicked my ass. Challenge aside, the interface is so clean, lots of stats, inventory management seems to be at the sweet spot where there are things to look at but critically not tons of garbage to sift, nice map, very strong range of tactical options, robust skill trees with meaningful choices and game changing upgrades, all just done so elegantly so there's a lot to think about but none of it seems like a chore. Very much looking forward to playing more.

Zombra

Patron
"Epic Gest", whatever that means,
"Gest" (soft g) was an old term for epic tale. Was used a fair bit by James Branch Cabell.
gLY3yJF.gif
Updat'd yon txt x 1

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
I'm getting a Blackguards vibe from this. Does that sound about right?
There are some similarities.
Both use a solid table-top ruleset for combat mechanics and have lots of interesting hand-crafted encounters.

Setting aside differences in tone and mood of the games, Blaguards is closer to being a pure tacticool.
The maps are basically entry points to battle arenas.
And Nahelbeuk has proper (pretty shallow, though) dungeon crawling and exploration.

But when it comes to combat, if you liked Blaguards, you will most probably like Naheulbeuk.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Played a bit this morning and already am super impressed with the game. I'm playing on "Epic Gest", whatever that means, and already the very first combat kicked my ass. Challenge aside, the interface is so clean, lots of stats, inventory management seems to be at the sweet spot where there are things to look at but critically not tons of garbage to sift, nice map, very strong range of tactical options, robust skill trees with meaningful choices and game changing upgrades, all just done so elegantly so there's a lot to think about but none of it seems like a chore. Very much looking forward to playing more.

Play on the hardest difficulty (Gzor's Nightmare). Just trust me. It'll be hard as balls in the beginning but you'll be glad you did later.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes. It is extremely similar to Blackguards and great for many of the same reasons. I have no clue why anyone would react with 'no' to your question.

Lacrymas

Arcane
How much voice acting is in this game? I'm trying to play it in Spanish, but there's no Spanish voice-over, so I've set the voice acting to German and I end up listening to the voices instead of reading the text (which is what I actually want) because not only do I understand them better but the text also goes by so fast that it's impossible for me to read and comprehend it with my limited Spanish skills. Sooo, yeah, how much voice acting is in this?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Yes. It is extremely similar to Blackguards and great for many of the same reasons. I have no clue why anyone would react with 'no' to your question.

Oh, just because the tone is very different. Also wasnt Blackguards more complex in terms of char builds & tactics ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How much voice acting is in this game? I'm trying to play it in Spanish, but there's no Spanish voice-over, so I've set the voice acting to German and I end up listening to the voices instead of reading the text (which is what I actually want) because not only do I understand them better but the text also goes by so fast that it's impossible for me to read and comprehend it with my limited Spanish skills. Sooo, yeah, how much voice acting is in this?

It's fully voiced in English and French, at least.

Oh, just because the tone is very different. Also wasnt Blackguards more complex in terms of char builds & tactics ?

The tone? Who gives a fuck, the story in both games are shit. They're very similar in that they are hyperfocused, tactical games with specific strengths regarding encounter design, enemy design and the combat system, but also definciencies in itemization and character system. When it comes to recommending one of the games to someone based on their like or dislike for the other, I'm hard pressed to find a more apt, contemporary comparison within the space.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

It's fully voiced in English and French.

Isn't German also fully voiced?

IIRC it has decent delivery.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It's fully voiced in English and French.

Isn't German also fully voiced?

IIRC it has decent delivery.

Probably - I just responded with the ones I was certain of. The english voice actors themselves are quite good, but the direction and pacing is awful and very uncanny valley, so the end result is a mixed bag.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So every line is spoken? Meh. I have to check in the options whether I can make it so I have to click a button for it to continue to the next line. Either way, yes, voices are available in German, French and English, but I need Spanish.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
So every line is spoken? Meh. I have to check in the options whether I can make it so I have to click a button for it to continue to the next line. Either way, yes, voices are available in German, French and English, but I need Spanish.

Bro, do you also want a comparative analysis of male/female narrator option quality?
If you're playing it for voice-overs you're doing it wrong.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Bro, do you also want a comparative analysis of male/female narrator option quality?
Talk about missing the point :р Preferably, I don't want any voice over, but if they are forcing voice over on me I'd either mute it and make it so I only read the text or have it in Spanish because I'm learning Spanish atm. I'm asking how much voice acting (i.e. is every character line voiced or is it like BG where only a few sentences are and then it's all text) is in this so I know what to do and how to configure the options. If everything is voiced and there's no option for "click to continue dialogue", then I'll play it in German, otherwise Spanish.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron

Talk about missing the point :р Preferably, I don't want any voice over, but if they are forcing voice over on me I'd either mute it and make it so I only read the text or have it in Spanish because I'm learning Spanish atm. I'm asking how much voice acting (i.e. is every character line voiced or is it like BG where only a few sentences are and then it's all text) is in this so I know what to do and how to configure the options. If everything is voiced and there's no option for "click to continue dialogue", then I'll play it in German, otherwise Spanish.

If I remember correctly there's a bark frequence option in the settings.
And you can completely mute the Elf. And the Dwarf. But who on Earth would want to mute the dorf is beyond me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If I remember correctly there's a bark frequence option in the settings.
And you can completely mute the Elf. And the Dwarf. But who on Earth would want to mute the dorf is beyond me.
And if you mute the Elf you cannot hear her suffer.

Parabalus

Arcane

You can try using CE to slow it down, if there isn't a text speed option.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can try using CE to slow it down, if there isn't a text speed option.
Too much of a hassle tbh, but thanks. I'm just going to play it in German, there's no option for clicking to continue dialogue, unfortunately. Either way, playing an RPG in Spanish might be a bit too much for me right now, so I'm playing HoMM4 in Spanish (unfortunately it's the only Heroes game to be available in Spanish for some reason). The German voices are pretty good btw.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The thief's portrait is so adorable I had to write a comment about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom