Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Parabalus

Arcane
Thanks friends. Could be I'm just dumb, or maybe I just got really bad rolls those first couple tries. Still, probably a first playthrough on Normal won't be too dull.

You’re not dumb, the first couple of levels of this game are challenging. Wheel of Fortune fight is the hardest in the game probably. I wrote a tips post a couple pages back

When you claim RNG, my immediate suspicion is that you’re not flanking enough?

On higher difficulties you should be liberal with consumables early game.

Especially frost bombs from the thief, they make for a smooth experience.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Wishlist Back to the Futon
In the land of Fangh, the decade of the Great Returns is coming to an end. It's time to get some practice with The Ruins of Limis and Splat Jaypack's Arenas before heading out on a grand adventure with 4 new chapters! ✨

To make sure you don't miss out, add the new Back to the Futon adventure to your Steam wishlist :

Antigoon

Augur

Features:​

• Play through 4 brand new story chapters (half as much as the original game!)
  • Discover new legendary items and skills!
  • Help your characters become stronger, up to lv16
  • Perfect your tactics with new gameplay mechanics
  • Lots and lots of chickens!
That sounds promising. Almost forget they had one last DLC coming up, but lvl 16 and 4 chapter sounds at least substantial.

welly321

Scholar

Features:​

• Play through 4 brand new story chapters (half as much as the original game!)
  • Discover new legendary items and skills!
  • Help your characters become stronger, up to lv16
  • Perfect your tactics with new gameplay mechanics
  • Lots and lots of chickens!
That sounds promising. Almost forget they had one last DLC coming up, but lvl 16 and 4 chapter sounds at least substantial.
when does it come out? Can I buy this new DLC and import my save from the main game if I havent bought ruins of limis ?

Antigoon

Augur
Importing from base game won't work, only from Limis DLC.
According to a dev in the Steam forums...

Emmanuel2

Savant
Just finished the game for the first time on Gzor's Nightmare difficulty. Great game!

The feeling you get when you become "overpowered" by the last 3-4 hours feels really earned after the hell that is the start up to early-endgame. Scraping by the skin of your teeth on every encounter and having to count your gold, potions and other consumables. Maximizing randomia and having to bait out some AI decisions like forcing them to sprint towards you to stop your overwatch... Some of the encounters the game sics at you are just straight up mean too.

My only complaint, though probably a symptom of Nightmare's balancing (or lack thereof), is that every character is more-or-less pigeonholed to building agility and some courage. Damage is more than enough for everyone without putting stat points into Strength/Int except wizard. Agility and Courage has a lot of value per point invested due giving bonuses to multiple useful stats simultaneously.

I'd appreciate a passive skill for the Ogre that increases carry limit too. I didn't know what to keep or bring so I was constantly at the edge of the 350 weight limit; a second playthrough would likely remedy this problem of mine but something like 50 more for a passive point seems like a very good trade for a small quality of life.

unknown.png

Looking forward to starting the first DLC and the release of the upcoming third.

Antigoon

Augur
This is now in Septembers Humble Choice (12USD), but without any DLCs.

Full list:

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos
Crusader Kings III
Just Cause 4 Complete Edition
Forgive Me Father
Crown Trick
Industria
Descenders
Shapez (including base game, and Puzzle DLC)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh hey:

Jump back in time with your favorite unlikely heroes & face the cult of Dlul, the God of Sleep!
DLC 3 - Back to the Futon is coming on: PC : October 3rd | Consoles : October 13th

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's worth the play though. It parodies DnD in a way that is so endearing yet cute at the same time. Been having so much fun with it, and the encounters are pretty challenging on highest difficulty.

Shaki

Arbiter
It's worth the play though. It parodies DnD in a way that is so endearing yet cute at the same time. Been having so much fun with it, and the encounters are pretty challenging on highest difficulty.
Is the humor actually good, or is it full cringe like D:OS 1/2? I'm kinda biased against "funny" games after playing through that dogshit

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is the humor actually good, or is it full cringe like D:OS 1/2? I'm kinda biased against "funny" games after playing through that dogshit
You should try West of Loathing.
Dunno about humor on this; been too busy to start properly playing this.

thesecret1

Arcane
People tend to either really like it or really hate it. It's, uh... a "kind" sort of humor, if that makes sense? It pokes fun at DnD stereotypes (barbarian = dumb brute, elf = bimbo, etc.) and is generally light-hearted, without really being vicious or trying to take take a shot at someone. To me it felt very comfy, the sort of humor where I don't laugh out loud or anything, but just kinda smile throughout.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is the humor actually good, or is it full cringe like D:OS 1/2?
I don't know. Things like this are very subjective. You're probably not going to like it, but I laughed a couple of times. It loves poking fun at itself, DnD tropes, and other stereotypes of the genre; it's cute in a way that makes the experience endearing. Very charming. If that isn't your thing though. You can just skip through all dialogue and focus on the combats. The tactical play in this is pretty good actually, stands up there with Dungeon Rats. Each character gets two action points (one for movement, other one for actions not related to movement); so you're forced to think critically on several things such as: positioning, what attacks to use, rather or not to waste an action on potion or for something else, et cetera. Of course you get plenty of characters to make action economy more interesting. Such as: Thief, Ranger, Barbarian, Wizard, Ogre, Dwarf, Elf. Each one has their own subset of skills to ease the stress of the ap system. For example, Ogre can throw Dwarf at other people so you don't have to worry that much about ap expenditure on movement. Elf can make those she heals act first on next turn. Things like this that make the game interesting.

Forget to mention this. Positioning plays a critical role. Flanking, backstabs, bonuses from working with an ally; it all coalesce to form a fun tactics experience. There's also another feature. The game seeds your rolls. I like this because rather than developing bad habits by rerolling it forces me to sit down, analyze my plays, and improve on my tactics.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the humor actually good?
The humor is predictable, but inoffensive, even charming. I also hate humor games that seem to be staring at you waiting for you to laugh. This game just rolls with silly stereotype characters: the ogre is dumb, the dwarf likes beer, the elf is ditzy, etc. It's not like joke after joke, just a goofball cast. I guess it doesn't try too hard, is what I'm saying.

Visperas

Augur
I might give this a try fairly soon. Is the hardest difficulty setting the recommended by the codex? I like a challenge but I'm not masochystic.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I might give this a try fairly soon. Is the hardest difficulty setting the recommended by the codex? I like a challenge but I'm not masochystic.
The beginning is really hard. Ramp it up if you aren't getting shreked hard enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom