Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
RE: The humor in this - it's very bearable and even adorable. It's not cringe like D:OS. Some of it is lost in translation from French, though. IIRC, there are some obscure references to an old debate in French-speaking D&D circles of how one should translate Ranger (the class) in French, so most people probably won't get that ;d

Erebus

Arcane
I might give this a try fairly soon. Is the hardest difficulty setting the recommended by the codex? I like a challenge but I'm not masochystic.

Maximum difficulty is great fun, but it's perhaps a bit ambitious to try it right from the start. I'd suggest playing at least the first 2-3 chapters on second highest difficulty, that'll be challenging enough and will allow you to get familiar with the tactical elements of the game.

There's also randomia gimmick to make things easy if you need it.

The first and second Randomia powers can be lifesavers. The third and fourth ones are too situational and costly ; they're seldom worth using.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you are an RPG veteran, starting on the highest difficulty isn't as scary as advertised. Yeah, early game is quite tough, but not anything that can't be handled with liberal use of everything the game gives you.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
but not anything that can't be handled with liberal use of everything the game gives you.
Just invest into Courage/Agility for melee characters. Easy peasy lemon squeezy throw me in a pan and bake me.
The third and fourth ones are too situational and costly ; they're seldom worth using.
Very much agree. What I like to do is throw Dwarf as a football at enemy. Once Dwarf lands on a large group. I follow up with whirlwind then use the first randomia power for extra turn to kill an annoying enemy as quickly as possible to prevent them from acting. Besides that. The other ones are kind of meh. Healing allies isn't that speculator since you should already have people that can do that. Free teleportation - I've actually never used this one due to how much it costs.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I might give this a try fairly soon. Is the hardest difficulty setting the recommended by the codex? I like a challenge but I'm not masochystic.
The early game is definitely very tough AND the game relies very heavily on RNG. Like the 2nd fight in the game outnumbers you and then springs a 2nd wave on you. After losing that fight 3 times in a row trying everything I could think of, I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong or just got bad rolls. To be honest I haven't picked it back up since; I felt like I had so little control over results. And this was on above average difficulty ... so yeah maybe don't start with extreme ultra death unless you want to prove how hard core you are. Come to think of it maybe I should try again on normal.

Erebus

Arcane
At low level, your characters (especially your heavy hitters) tend to have poor accuracy ; you really need to grant them all the bonuses you can (support, concentration, positioning, etc.) in order to make them effective. Increading Agility is a priority for all characters except spellcasters (the Wizardess, the Priestess and possibly the Minstrel).

It's important to note that some special attacks cannot miss (except with a critical miss) : you don't need Accuracy to hit the target(s) and the target(s) can't dodge or parry. Those attacks include many of the Wizardess' spells (Whirlwind, Killer Bunny, Firebirds...), the dwarf throw, the vomiting attack of the Ogre, the jumping attack of the Barbarian, the charge attacks of the Dwarf and the Paladin, the chain lightning spell of the Priestess, etc.

In fights, it usually pays to be aggressive, but there are some exceptions. In the last fight of the first chapter, for instance, I think that the best tactics is to draw back as much as possible and let the enemies come to you.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
In fights, it usually pays to be aggressive, but there are some exceptions. In the last fight of the first chapter, for instance, I think that the best tactics is to draw back as much as possible and let the enemies come to you.
Just want to add to this that setting up a bunch of overwatches on turn one for free damage is also viable. If the enemy is far away from you and you don't want to compromise your formations. That's how I beat that spinning wheel encounter on hardest difficulty. Ranger, Wizardess, Elf all doing overwatch gives you opportunities to chip enemies down while they come at you. Sometimes they don't charge at you though and end up hanging to side. When they do that it gives you the chance to tighten up formation in anticipation of upcoming reinforcements.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, good positioning and setting up overwatches is how I beat the wheel encounter too. Not using overwatch is too RNG dependent and you'll have to reload a lot in that case.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Dwarf is by far my most favorite character in this party. The way he eviscerates both Elf and Party is nothing short of awesome! His bantz are just too good!
aoRtgcF.png

He's greedy, stubborn, and absolutely hates Elf.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The early game is definitely very tough AND the game relies very heavily on RNG. Like the 2nd fight in the game outnumbers you and then springs a 2nd wave on you. After losing that fight 3 times in a row trying everything I could think of, I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong or just got bad rolls. To be honest I haven't picked it back up since; I felt like I had so little control over results. And this was on above average difficulty ... so yeah maybe don't start with extreme ultra death unless you want to prove how hard core you are. Come to think of it maybe I should try again on normal.
Once you get adjusted to the idea that a character or three getting knocked out isn't the end of the fight but just the beginning and build some of your strategy around that things get easier.

Desiderius

Patron
Just want to add to this that setting up a bunch of overwatches on turn one for free damage is also viable. If the enemy is far away from you and you don't want to compromise your formations. That's how I beat that spinning wheel encounter on hardest difficulty. Ranger, Wizardess, Elf all doing overwatch gives you opportunities to chip enemies down while they come at you. Sometimes they don't charge at you though and end up hanging to side. When they do that it gives you the chance to tighten up formation in anticipation of upcoming reinforcements.
Also lets you set up the powerful adjacency bonuses easier. Have to be careful of enemy AoEs but I tend to favor proximate if not tight formations to save on moves for touch heals and buffs as well.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once you get adjusted to the idea that a character or three getting knocked out isn't the end of the fight but just the beginning and build some of your strategy around that things get easier.
Oh, I adjusted real fast to characters getting killed ... because there seems to be no way to stop it.

I'm noticing about this game that everybody has lots of advice on how "Oh you have to adjust to this" "Oh you just need to dump that stat" "Oh you just avoid using these 9 abilities" "Oh you just have to stack these 5 characters in this exact formation" ....... I mean fine, I guess I'm not supposed to play this game without a coaching team and a strategy guide ...... but I hate all that. I appreciate the helpful spirit here but if the game is unplayable without so much outside advice, I'm just not that interested.

thesecret1

Arcane
The game only feels RNG-heavy at the very beginning, after that it's anything but (in fact, they even introduce a mechanic that gives you a small benefit if you get unlucky...). The fight at the beginning with the wheel is one of the toughest in the game, but is doable if you strategize it well – I beat it on highest difficulty, my tactic being, IIRC, to actually just tank and heal the damage from the wheel, while focusing on the weaker shitters thrown at me rather than the boss, as overextending was lethal. Not that that's the only tactic there, but it worked for me.

I'm noticing about this game that everybody has lots of advice on how "Oh you have to adjust to this" "Oh you just need to dump that stat" "Oh you just avoid using these 9 abilities" "Oh you just have to stack these 5 characters in this exact formation" ....... I mean fine, I guess I'm not supposed to play this game without a coaching team and a strategy guide ...... but I hate all that. I appreciate the helpful spirit here but if the game is unplayable without so much outside advice, I'm just not that interested.
I haven't looked up a single strat on the game or gotten a single piece of advice – it's perfectly doable even with no prior knowledge and without minmaxing. You do need to know the strengths and weaknesses of your characters, and how to synergize them – synergy between your party members is basically the cornerstone of the whole game, and you're meant to basically combo your attacks and use adjancency and flanking in your positioning.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Finally managed to beat this encounter. What a rush that was. Much harder than the other encounters I've faced. The primary objective is to slay Splat and his Elf assistant as quickly as you can before the encounter gets ugly - and trust me it DOES get ugly. You have to contend with spinning wheel giving buffs to enemies, reinforcements, Splat's assistant turning your heavy hitters against you, she would always charm my Barbarian to fight me; and also Splat throwing AoE spells at you. This took me a couple of good tries as I tried to figure out how to best deal with Splat's assistant until it dawned on me: Ice Bombs! Those little nades can freeze enemies, preventing them from acting. So after I had that revelation I loaded up a couple of my bros with ice nades. Then I naded assistant. From there things got so much easy as I football'ed Dwarf to assistant's face!

This game has a couple of really good encounters that force you to look at all your consumables.
ISyexoU.png

thesecret1

Arcane
Finally managed to beat this encounter. What a rush that was. Much harder than the other encounters I've faced. The primary objective is to slay Splat and his Elf assistant as quickly as you can before the encounter gets ugly - and trust me it DOES get ugly. You have to contend with spinning wheel giving buffs to enemies, reinforcements, Splat's assistant turning your heavy hitters against you, she would always charm my Barbarian to fight me; and also Splat throwing AoE spells at you.
Haha, I actually dealt with it the opposite way, waiting all that shit out in cover until Splat ran out of reinforcement (while just tanking the wheel), and then killing him and the assistant when they were the only ones left.

Erebus

Arcane
Finally managed to beat this encounter. What a rush that was. Much harder than the other encounters I've faced. The primary objective is to slay Splat and his Elf assistant as quickly as you can before the encounter gets ugly - and trust me it DOES get ugly. You have to contend with spinning wheel giving buffs to enemies, reinforcements, Splat's assistant turning your heavy hitters against you, she would always charm my Barbarian to fight me; and also Splat throwing AoE spells at you. This took me a couple of good tries as I tried to figure out how to best deal with Splat's assistant until it dawned on me: Ice Bombs! Those little nades can freeze enemies, preventing them from acting. So after I had that revelation I loaded up a couple of my bros with ice nades. Then I naded assistant. From there things got so much easy as I football'ed Dwarf to assistant's face!

Good job ! It's probably the hardest fight in the game, though there are a few others that come close (the last fight of the 8th chapter, for instance).

The assistant's charm ability is such a pain in the ass (especially since it can't be resisted or even dispelled). It's almost impossible to prevent her from using it at least once, but she's rather vulnerable to stun, freeze and other things like that, so you might be able to take her out before she can use it a second time.

Splat is very hard to hit, so I found it best to just ignore him until I could focus on him with at least three characters (by that time, almost all of the other enemies are usually dead). His AoE attacks are annoying, but they won't be devastating as long as you don't keep your heroes too close together.

Ice bombs are very useful, since they can't miss and can't be dodged. The thief skill that increases their area of effect is crazily powerful.

Desiderius

Patron
Oh, I adjusted real fast to characters getting killed ... because there seems to be no way to stop it.

No, you're supposed to figure shit out for yourself like we did.

We're telling you not to get stuck on things you brought in from other games but to make sure you're playing this one.

You get knocked out a lot because the bad guys have cooldowns too. Get back up and own them before their abilities recharge. Your main advantage over most enemies is your ability to recover.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I used no guides and beat the game on the hardest difficulty first time around. Almost no people on the Codex had finished it on that difficulty at the time so I didn’t get much help here either. However it was very hard at the beginning. It’s not a game you can brute force at the beginning - you have to learn its rules and stack up small advantages.

A good example of how varied the game is that many people beat the Wheel encounter by rushing the boss. However I couldn’t make that work so I took a methodical approach and only after learned there was ways to kill the boss earlier.

Once you defeat the Wheel fight, you’re past the game’s hardest fight.

Stop worrying and learn to love the quick load

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom