Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sooo is there a new dlc or something ? Why is this thread so active this few days ?What is the last dlc ?

Just active because a couple of new dexers are playing it. New DLC (follow-up to the mediocre Ruins of Limis) will be out soon tho.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Yeah, it's a fun encounter.
I failed on my first attempt and thought about changing specs for a bit of extra damage too.
But I got him next try, when I almost completely ignored the adds (the only one I killed was the skeleton-wizard in the first wave) and focused on burning the boss down.
I placed him near the left middle-column, which provided some cover against all adds waves.
And I had to sacrifice all my melee guys by leaving them within the 2nd huge-ass AOE just so they could deal an extra turn worth of damage.

The things this game made me do for victory, - my Dwarf gave his life so the Elf could get a kill shot."
Thank you! That was fun to read. Didn't know you could cheese AoEs with pillar.

Anyways. I beat it. I think. Got black screen after it said end then it got stuck at said black screen. So I'm not sure if there's an epilogue or anything like that. I hope I didn't miss any bonus dialogue. Love the dialogue. Dwarf yelling soocccks was super funny:
MWpxM2U.png
Overall it took me about a good hundred hours to complete everything, do all riddles, figure out the stupid riddle book for secret boss, all on hardest difficulty.
6zjAXhJ.png
I gots nitpicks. Difficulty flat lined once you reached mid game. Early game was super fun and challenging. Had some memorable encounters that I very much enjoyed (spinning wheel at start, dark elf rock band, second spinning wheel, all of the encounters against priests of chaos, epic orc fight at chaos dwarf bridge). I also had to conserve every gold piece, count how many consumables I needed to buy for next fight, and most importantly choose which armor/weapon pieces to purchase and for whom. Since monies was tight at early game I'd always prioritize Barbarian, Mage, Dwarf; these three were instrumental to my success. Barbarian did all of the melee damages with his three hit combo of death! Mage is mage, though I tended to respec her spells based on the encounters with which I struggled on. For instance, I'd always save one potion of oblivion exclusively for her, and use it to modify her list for either ice spells for frozen effect or fire spell to burst down annoying enemies. A good ice spell tended to make hard encounters doable thanks to frozen effect. Dwarf on the other hand didn't do crazy damage or burst enemies down or throw crazy spells. He instead did the grunt work of keeping enemies occupied. With taunt ability plus charge plus ogre throw. Dwarf is consistent at getting to where you need him to be in order to hold enemy at bay while giving party some breathing room.

However, as I mentioned, once you get past to mid game point. Things get easy. Too easy. Encounters stop being challenging. You have lots of gold to buy everyone everything. No longer having to make sacrifices. It's easy to stock up with as many consumables as you want. No more using maths to figure out costs of how much you need. Also every one easily reaches high levels which kind of impacted difficulty since you have all the tools to answer whatever challenge the game throws at you. It all works to trivialize that multi-layer of complexity which I found so stimulating to my brains to be made redundant. I didn't find that fun at all. Yet, just when I was starting to get bored. The game started to pick up again with awesome Losax encounter, then secret demon boss fight, all culminating in the final encounter against the Dungeon Master; what made it so interesting is that you had to play puzzle game with music instruments, whilst being careful not to deplete immunity shield too early; so you had to position party carefully while also clearing out incoming reinforcements. Funny enough I thought this was going to be another infinite spawns of doom like demon, but turned out to be only three waves then your safe to focus on Dungeon Master.

All in all. I had a genuine good time! Lastly. If anyone is interested. Here's what my final party stats looked like at end game (I actually had no idea what I was doing to be honest. I spent so much gold at respecs. I don't even know):
xfG2mmL.png

sG0bKrh.png

MYhdSQF.png

wWGIz8h.png

Cy7Aflj.png

SxospQq.png

d5AOfKV.png

IyGJJzr.png

VaQ7pUH.png

JWuZQVC.png

ivmejqq.png

uXrhojN.png

C7QQJud.png

1hBzVZq.png

SxUYSE5.png

lXXH6i9.png

thesecret1

Arcane
Went for a replay (first time I played was without any DLCs) and just got past the wheel at Gzor's Nightmare (the highest difficulty). For those who are having trouble, this is how I did it:

There's a lot of people advising to beeline it for Splat, but that's never ever worked for me; I always get demolished just trying – Splat has a high HP pool and high dodge, and is immune to stun and knock down, meaning that even if he's alone, you'll need solid 5 or 6 turn just to take him out (unless you get very lucky and he doesn't dodge half your attacks, like he usually does). That many turns while surrounded by enemies tends to equal death.

Instead, my tactic is to turtle up on the right side of map (where there's just two goblins at the start) and let the enemy come to me. First priority is to take out Splat's assistant, Vana – she deals very high damage with her sword and has a nasty ability to charm one of your party members for one turn, something that can prove absolutely devastating really fast. Luckily, while her resistance are high, you can stun or knock her over eventually, at which point you should just dogpile her and finish her off. Second priority is that troll berserker – he just deals far too much damage to be ignored. Luckily, while his HP pool is large, he goes down fairly fast if you concentrate on him.

By then, you'll be swimming with orcs – there's those on the left side of map, and those coming in as reinforcements (there's only one wave of reinforcements, so don't worry about the fight taking too long) – and some wizard apprentices and assorted small fries. Those can be more or less ignored, to be destroyed by AoE attacks or the occassional normal attack when it seems advantageous. Their damage tends to be relatively low and they don't pack much in the way of skills. The sole exception is the orc chieftain. You'd do well to slow him down as he approaches by chickens and oil or whatever, for he is massively armored, packs a real punch, buffs his pals, and has a high attack. Same approach as with Vana – knock him down and dogpile him. After he's done, you're basically in clear waters – clean up all the small fry until it's just Jaypack left, then surround and destroy him.

All throughout, you will have to deal with the wheel of misfortune and Splat's constant AoE spam. The wheel gives buffs and debuffs, but they're kinda weak, so fuck it. Splat's AoEs are very annoying, but aside from the axe one, don't deal all that much damage (one poisons you but whatever, just tank it). It's important to economy your heals to the best of your ability as your party will constantly be going down, to be healed up again. Manage your stamina and cooldowns and pack your belts with healing items, they'll come in handly. Starting the fight with a full Randomia meter also helps.

Erebus

Arcane
Splat's AoE attacks have always made me reluctant to turtle during that battle. Other than that, I largely agree. I put most of my party on the right, focus on the assistant until she's dead, then on the troll, and ignore Splat until much later.

The effects of the Wheel are more or less annoying depending on the circumstances. In the first turn, for instance, having your characters take damage whenever they move is a pain in the ass (unless you do decide to turtle), but having your enemies get a healing buff isn't much of a problem.

The worst effect, in my opinion, is the one that increases the saving throws of the enemies. Crowd control is very important in that battle, so whatever makes it harder is bad news.

Arryosha

Learned
I've been enjoying this game but also frustrated by inconsistent difficulty pacing. I'm playing on epic gest difficulty and most fights in the second half of the game have bordered on too easy (never having to restart let alone savescum). Now I can't even get close to beating Losax even after breaking down and savescumming. Hopefully expansions address this issue.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've been enjoying this game but also frustrated by inconsistent difficulty pacing. I'm playing on epic gest difficulty and most fights in the second half of the game have bordered on too easy (never having to restart let alone savescum). Now I can't even get close to beating Losax even after breaking down and savescumming. Hopefully expansions address this issue.

Firstly, you should play on Nightmare, secondly, Losax is the hardest fight of the game tied with or maybe even harder than Wheel of Fortune (so don't worry too much about it feeling like a total bitch - it is), thirdly, the expansions are mostly garbage and not worth your money, and fourthly, the difficulty curve is just that screwy (so much so that I dedicated an entire portion of my review just to talk about that):

Codex Review said:
That being said, the difficulty curve is a strange one. The game places your party in a tower – the titular Dungeon of Naheulbeuk – and the first couple of fights are manageable and fairly basic. Once the game thinks you have a handle on things it cranks hard on the vice it has your nuts placed in. The old RPG formula applies here: low levels mean your characters have fewer options. This coupled with a combat system that places great importance on accuracy and good positioning (the latter of which you don’t have many tools to ensure yet) means margins for error are small and gameplay is punishing.

This also means that the hardest (but also best!) fight of the entire game will face you very early on, while another early fight sadistically takes you from one fight directly into the next – which can be a very frustrating experience if you survived the first of these two fights by the skin of your teeth and are low on healing potions.

As the game moves on however and your party attains a level around 4, the game becomes more manageable and something approaching a “healthy” difficulty sets in. Then around level 7, things start to become too easy, and the game completes the traditional difficulty curve of an RPG: hard beginning with a fresh party, piss easy final part as you stomp the world with your overpowered gear and abilities.

But here, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk becomes a bit weird. After the initial ease of the later levels, difficulty starts going all over the place. Some fights are very easy, some somewhere in between, and some are almost as hard as the game’s first act (for instance, this is the case for one of the game's last bosses, whose mechanics are more trying and have much better design than the final boss himself). This odd rupture of the difficulty curve isn't a bad experience, though, because unlike the previous three points on the curve, at least it makes fights more unpredictable.
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11827

Erebus

Arcane
10 bucks is definitely expensive for "Ruins of Limis", considering that it's the equivalent of a single chapter (the base game has nine). Still, it has some pretty creative and challenging fights ; siding with the vampires leads to a final battle that's every bit as tense as the Wheel of Misfortune. I think this expansion would be worth buying on sale.

"Splat Jaypack's Arenas" is completely focused on fighting. It offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to party composition, equipment and so on, but there are only 15 fights and not all of them are very original compared to what you can find in the base game and the first expansion. You could buy it when it's on sale, but I think it's less interesting than Limis.

The third and last expansion should be about half as long as the base game, which sounds promising.

thesecret1

Arcane
Just beat Losax on hardest difficulty. It was easy, tbh. Just keep killing his minions and clones so that you don't get overwhelmed, and you win. Maybe my build was too strong or something.

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm going to laugh my ass off if you don't have any problems with demon cockroach either, lol.
Just beat him. What an absolute pushover... To be fair though, I definitely have just too good a build. I literally out-damaged the encounter. Here's how it went:
Round 1: avoid his ult
Round 2: everyone surround him and hit him with all I got
Round 3: skeletons arrive. Ignore them and keep hitting the cockroach
Round 4: more skeletons arrive. Ignore them and keep hitting!
Round 5: skeletons are damaging me far, far more than the cockroach ever could, but whatever, I got heals to spare. Concentrate fire!
Round 6: Running out of heals. Whatever. Keep hitting him (also I think even more skeletons arrived or something? Idk, I ignored everything that wasn't the cockroach)
Round 7: He's preparing his ult but is almost dead. Skeletons are finally cutting down party members. But things are chill. He dies before the round is over

So yeah, I just dealt damage faster than he could cope with. Aside from that, though, his skillset was total shit. The skeletons were a massively higher threat than him, he was just a big sponge with immunities to all the status effects.

Shaki

Arbiter
Does the game ever become harder? I'm playing on highest difficulty, n the middle of floor 5 right now, and while I'm having fun and humor turned out to not be cringy and I even laughed a couple of times, so far the game was super easy. Actually the hardest fight was the first one after the tutorial, I had to reload it twice and actually thought "damn, this is going to be a challenging game", but since then the only time I ever had to reload again was the stalker fight in the caves, still beat it on 2nd try though, and I'm pretty sure it's only hard because I was very underleveled and probably went there far earlier than I should. Other than that everything was a breeze. Healing seems OP as hell, enemies will often nuke some of my characters from 100-0 super quickly, but it's irrelevant when I can resurrect and put them back to 100 with just 1 spell (and like 4 characters have healing, priest has multiple heals even) or potion.

The only "difficulty" I had was trying to figure out if the thief can be viable as anything else than ice bomb throwing bot. Had no success so far. His kit really seems dogshit aside from that one passive. Too squishy to do anything in melee, and not even doing high dmg - like his backstab requires putting yourself in vulnerable position, and deals as much dmg as barb does on a normal hit, lol. Stealth seems just like a waste of action point, despite multiple tries never managed to do anything useful with it. His ranged attacks are weak and have low range. Caltrops to immobilize melees are sometimes cool I guess, but nothing special.

If it wasn't for his bomb-throwing insanity, I could probably remove him from my party and not even notice. Which is kinda weird since kits of other characters synergize well together and all seem to play an important role, but he's just kinda sitting there doing nothing. I guess it's perfectly accurate from the lore standpoint tho, lol.

Erebus

Arcane
The only "difficulty" I had was trying to figure out if the thief can be viable as anything else than ice bomb throwing bot. Had no success so far. His kit really seems dogshit aside from that one passive. Too squishy to do anything in melee, and not even doing high dmg - like his backstab requires putting yourself in vulnerable position, and deals as much dmg as barb does on a normal hit, lol. Stealth seems just like a waste of action point, despite multiple tries never managed to do anything useful with it. His ranged attacks are weak and have low range. Caltrops to immobilize melees are sometimes cool I guess, but nothing special.

Putting aside his bomb-related skill, the Thief definitely isn't one of the strongest characters. He can deal a fair amount of damage with critical hits, but it depends on how lucky you are.

Most of his active skills are kind of forgettable. I've never managed to find a use for Stealth either. Caltrops are nice, especially with poison. The high-level skill that allows him to make four attacks can be pretty strong (it's unlikely that you won't get at least one critical hit). The rest is nothing great.

In "Ruins of Limis", he gets a few special bonuses that are decent, but they're purely defensive.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm going to laugh my ass off if you don't have any problems with demon cockroach either, lol.
Just beat him. What an absolute pushover... To be fair though, I definitely have just too good a build. I literally out-damaged the encounter. Here's how it went:
Round 1: avoid his ult
Round 2: everyone surround him and hit him with all I got
Round 3: skeletons arrive. Ignore them and keep hitting the cockroach
Round 4: more skeletons arrive. Ignore them and keep hitting!
Round 5: skeletons are damaging me far, far more than the cockroach ever could, but whatever, I got heals to spare. Concentrate fire!
Round 6: Running out of heals. Whatever. Keep hitting him (also I think even more skeletons arrived or something? Idk, I ignored everything that wasn't the cockroach)
Round 7: He's preparing his ult but is almost dead. Skeletons are finally cutting down party members. But things are chill. He dies before the round is over

So yeah, I just dealt damage faster than he could cope with. Aside from that, though, his skillset was total shit. The skeletons were a massively higher threat than him, he was just a big sponge with immunities to all the status effects.
Nice, well, at least you pushed that cockroach fucker around silly for all of us that struggled. Thanks!

Antigoon

Augur
Played a bit, 4 fights done. 2nd floor.

I didn't import my saves, because I don't really want to carry that Minstrel around now doing Nightmare difficulty. You start with 8 Oblivion potions, can chose your companion, that's all OK. But damn, your starting equipment is weak af. Tons of grey starter items, almost empty inventory, little gold. I just checked, if you import, you keep your entire inventory. That should be a massive advantage. You can find Oblivion potions, if you don't already have them anyway, before the first fight for like 40 gold. So unless you really, really want to change your companion, its probably the better way to import and respec if needed.

Of course on the flip side, that DLC might have been balanced with a new party in mind. Sure, I am only 4 fights in but so far nothing too difficult. I had to restart one fight, but that's it. With all the imported gear and gold, its likely way easier.

Two pretty noticeable changes so far, are (1) the amount of random loot (30+ health potions on one floor, 2-3 new legendary items before even the first fight etc.) and (2) More consumables, potions and bombs. Some even seem usable, the thief might end up throwing something else but Ice Bombs. (Agent X is a cc of the Thief)

Antigoon

Augur
Alright, what's going on here. Is that only for Nightmare, is it a bug, or do I misremember? I am pretty sure when one of your chars is going down you have 3 full rounds to revive. Now you get a "round" substracted every time the char receives damage, including a couple HP from some weak AOE bomb. Took my Ranger out in 1 round. Other than that, lots of new cool toys to play with. Auras, bombs etc.

Antigoon

Augur
And about that weak starting gear: You got so much gear from fights & exploring, it probably doesn't matter all that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom