Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Two pretty noticeable changes so far, are (1) the amount of random loot (30+ health potions on one floor, 2-3 new legendary items before even the first fight etc.) and (2) More consumables, potions and bombs. Some even seem usable, the thief might end up throwing something else but Ice Bombs. (Agent X is a cc of the Thief)
I just checked, if you import, you keep your entire inventory. That should be a massive advantage. You can find Oblivion potions, if you don't already have them anyway, before the first fight for like 40 gold. So unless you really, really want to change your companion, its probably the better way to import and respec if needed.
Of course on the flip side, that DLC might have been balanced with a new party in mind. Sure, I am only 4 fights in but so far nothing too difficult. I had to restart one fight, but that's it. With all the imported gear and gold, its likely way easier.
That should be a massive advantage. You can find Oblivion potions, if you don't already have them anyway, before the first fight for like 40 gold. So unless you really, really want to change your companion, its probably the better way to import and respec if needed.
Two pretty noticeable changes so far, are (1) the amount of random loot (30+ health potions on one floor, 2-3 new legendary items before even the first fight etc.) and (2) More consumables, potions and bombs. Some even seem usable, the thief might end up throwing something else but Ice Bombs. (Agent X is a cc of the Thief)
I didn't import my saves, because I don't really want to carry that Minstrel around now doing Nightmare difficulty. You start with 8 Oblivion potions, can chose your companion, that's all OK. But damn, your starting equipment is weak af. Tons of grey starter items, almost empty inventory, little gold. I just checked, if you import, you keep your entire inventory.

thesecret1

Arcane
Alright, what's going on here. Is that only for Nightmare, is it a bug, or do I misremember? I am pretty sure when one of your chars is going down you have 3 full rounds to revive. Now you get a "round" substracted every time the char receives damage, including a couple HP from some weak AOE bomb. Took my Ranger out in 1 round. Other than that, lots of new cool toys to play with. Auras, bombs etc.
That was always a thing

Antigoon

Augur
Wow, I was almost sure its a bug. Don't really remember ever having issues reviving anyone.

thesecret1

Arcane
AI doen't target downed characters, so it only really happens if they get hit by AoE, friendly fire, or if they are on fire. It's usually not much of a problem, but can force you to prioritize healing a character that you'd have healed later otherwise

Antigoon

Augur
Alright, done for today. Mid-chapter 2. The first chapter is already slightly larger than DLC1. This here is a proper expansion. Its still the same game, but lots of new content and not only new encounters. This time there are actual new mechanics in, like Sleep. Its not just another inactive-status-effect, it can be also used to heal, also by enemies.

Antigoon

Augur
Now chapter 3, 2nd was was pretty easy with some encounters where I was 100% expecting some sort of surprise 2nd wave. Other than that, the new food and bombs are not affected by Gourmet and Bomberman skills. It feels a bit like they added all those new consumables after the fact, and all encounters are still balanced towards the OC. With all those new health potions/food you won't have much trouble keeping your party alive.

Erebus

Arcane
Just finished the first chapter (on Nightmare, with the priestess). I didn't have to reload, but then I didn't get many critical misses ; it might have been a very different story otherwise.

So far, I'm enjoying myself. The plot and characters are fairly entertaining, the fights are rather creative, and this DLC (unlike the previous two) adds several new things, such as new skills, auras and sleep.

Visperas

Augur
It's at 60% discount right now. Of course, I got it. Any recommendations as far as difficulty and things like that?

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Any recommendations as far as difficulty and things like that?
When you first start leveling up. Put points into Agility/Precision for melee chars. Then once you start getting more points to spend into stats. Do whatever. Basically, it helps to invest into defensive stats for early game. Don't stress out over builds. You get so many respec potions that you can tweak party whenever you find yourself struggling at an encounter.

Antigoon

Augur
It's at 60% discount right now. Of course, I got it. Any recommendations as far as difficulty and things like that?
Choose the Priestess, at least if you on Nightmare. Don't worry about Strength/Constitution, you will get enough DMG/DMG Reduction from equipment. Only characters you probably don't want to pump Agility and Courage 2nd are the casters.

thesecret1

Arcane
You guys are pumping courage? I just raise AGI enough to have 100 precision, and then dump everything into STR (or the respective skills that raise impact for casters)

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You guys are pumping courage? I just raise AGI enough to have 100 precision, and then dump everything into STR (or the respective skills that raise impact for casters)
Have yet to try the new DLC, but previously I only tweaked courage just enough to make sure the Ogre goes right before the Dwarf to maximize effects of "dwarf-throw"+"twirling axe" combo.
Oh, and I made sure that the Priestess goes first and buffs everyone around.

Antigoon

Augur
The big change regarding Initiative in the DLC is, that with Aura + Spell you can guarantee your whole team goes first.

Erebus

Arcane

I'd suggest playing the beginning of the game on Epic (second hardest difficulty) just to get a proper handle on things. Once you know what you're doing, then play on Nightmare.

Initiative can be very important. Even putting that aside, Courage also improves your saving throws and your stamina regeneration, which is really nice.

I tend to really neglect Strength. It's useful, obviously, but one point of Str only gives you one more point of damage.

Antigoon

Augur
Aaand chapter 3 done. So far 16h, but I didn't rush it. I already found all secrets, shelved all books etc, so probably not much more to see. Some interesting setups towards the end of the chapter. The last last two fights combined were probably the best of the DLC so far. I have now unlocked all new skills, and its nice to see they wanted to add value to some of the previous rather one dimensional characters with these new skills and also with tons of new items. Some are just massively OP. Its obvious they are going for status effect combos here, but having a Sleep Ring (acquired from side quest) that puts an enemy to sleep without any resistance, plus a Barbarian 400% Attack on sleeping targets is just massive.

Antigoon

Augur

I'd suggest playing the beginning of the game on Epic (second hardest difficulty) just to get a proper handle on things. Once you know what you're doing, then play on Nightmare.
Yeah I wouldn't do that. I also played the OC plus DLC 1+2 on Epic, now DLC 3 on Nightmare (Will start a full Nightmare run after I am done with the DLC). Thing is, the early game is by far the most difficult part of the whole thing. So getting through that on Epic and change to Nightmare for the easier parts, still means you have it beaten only on Epic. Makes no sense.

Erebus

Arcane
Yeah I wouldn't do that. I also played the OC plus DLC 1+2 on Epic, now DLC 3 on Nightmare (Will start a full Nightmare run after I am done with the DLC). Thing is, the early game is by far the most difficult part of the whole thing. So getting through that on Epic and change to Nightmare for the easier parts, still means you have it beaten only on Epic. Makes no sense.

I didn't express myself correctly at all. What I meant to suggest is to play the first two chapters on Epic, in order to understand the mechanics and to get a feeling of all the characters, including the optional ones ; and then to restart the game on Nightmare, in order to fully enjoy the experience.

Erebus

Arcane
Just reached the third chapter and I'm feeling torn politically.

As a left-winger, I appreciate the important role played by cultists of the god of sleep and laziness.

On the other hand, the fact that my workers are constantly on strike is making me increasingly right-wing and get back to work you motherfuckers or I'll feed you to the Ogre !!!

Absinthe

Arcane
Play Nightmare difficulty. Honestly it needs a Nightmare Plus difficulty mode. Agility is usually the god stat, except for spellcasters (but usually they can do agility builds too, if you want). The Thief should get improved bombs and get ready to abuse Ice Bombs to freeze enemies. The Ogre should get Gourmet passive and abuse foods, which are usually much better buffs than potions (and they keep the Ogre's Gourmet improvements if he feeds someone else). Alcohol is somewhat useful to give the mages Courage for mana regeneration. Most buff potions are a waste of turns for their terribly short durations. Health potions and CC removal potions are not bad though. Get the Ranger and Dwarf's abilities that remove stunned and knocked down. They're good to have. Do not get synergy passives for standing adjacent to allies unless you are doing special strategies that cause them to constantly stand together (usually archery/overwatch stunts). Abilities that gives bonuses to protection are usually way too negligible and should be skipped unless it's a heal. Any ability that moves an enemy or makes them move (conditions like Scared or the Ogre's taunt) can be leveraged to do lots of bonus damage with attacks of opportunity and overwatch shots. At higher levels the AI will immediately interrupt and break overwatch if they get the chance though (high courage builds can still be used to set up overwatch shots and reposition enemies for a ton of hits before the enemies can attack though). Never use defensive stance unless you're the Paladin, who does an AoE attack on entering defensive stance once you allocate the right passive. Defensive stance's protection bonus is too small and a character in defensive stance cannot make attacks of opportunity or provide a Support bonus, so it's actually shit even for trying to play frontliner and lock down a location. Pay attention to gear that has useful special properties like ignoring protection or other effects and consider keeping them. Passives that give extra health do not get any benefit from Constitution. Unlocking extra tiers of abilities only has to do with the total amount of skill points spent (passives and actives combined), so if you save up and buy a lot of early passive abilities without spending any active skill points, you still unlock an extra tier and have more active skill points left over for the later active abilities. Vice versa is also possible. Also, do not forget to use Randomia powers unless you're doing a challenge run, and the first ability (extra action point) is usually the best to use, whereas the second one (a heal) can be used to revive a knocked down teammate. It's useful to use settings to disable auto-ending the turn if you want to use Randomia powers. And if someone has crappy offensive powers consider giving them a belt with useful offensive items and/or using them for overwatch stunts.

Choose the Priestess, at least if you on Nightmare. Don't worry about Strength/Constitution, you will get enough DMG/DMG Reduction from equipment.
All of the extra characters are playable, but I have to admit the Paladin is the most lackluster from a tactical perspective. She has great defenses but a crap offense and no real support ability. The Minstrel on the other hand is just underrated. He does lack condition removal, but his heals are pretty good, his damage is good, and he can use his turn to toss an extra action point to any ally, which is really, really good (basically trade your Minstrel's action point for the best ability a party member can use). Just don't get carried away with shitty buff/debuff abilities. They're usually a waste of turns, unless they're crowd control abilities or abilities that remove crowd control. This goes for every character, really. The Priestess is a good pick though. She has solid heals and great condition removal, and a decent offense. You can also just stick her in overwatch when she doesn't have a good offensive ability available. Just remember that her buff spells are definitely crap and a waste of precious turns, so just skip 'em.

Only characters you probably don't want to pump Agility and Courage 2nd are the casters.
Eh, the casters don't really care about Agility, it's true, but they do want Courage, since that's their mana regeneration stat, so they get more out of it than anyone.

You can do that too, but COU gives both physical and magic resistance and the initiative helps tactically (although it's not that necessary usually). Paired with the Ranger's defensive stance it's possible to get a party with very high resistance to debuffs and status effects, which make all the difference in avoiding having members of your party get taken out of commission, especially if you're playing without the Priestess (but you can use belt items to get rid of status effects too). It's also possible to just continue stacking AGI above 100 precision since Dodge and Parry are very good stats (so Dwarf/Ranger/Barbarian/Paladin who get both stats benefit a lot here). Usually some CON is good on party members though, since you'll really want the stamina regen once you have a lot of stamina-hungry abilities (unless you have the Minstrel doling out stamina), but when it comes to surviving damage AGI is usually better, so it's really just a stamina-regen stat. And CON just increases hitpoints by a percentage, so low health classes benefit less from CON anyway, unless they really need the health to avoid being 2 hits away from death at full health, but there are items for that sort of thing too. Mages don't even get stamina regen from it.

By contrast STR is usually neglected because the extra damage from impact isn't as likely to make or break a fight, not unless you get a really massive amount of it, but then your lack of other stats will usually cost you (but you can cover the lack of precision with party buffs, gear, and support if you really want), and your damage will significantly improve with superior loot anyway. As such usually monster impact is obtained on spellcasters whose impact stat (int or charisma) also gives precision, which makes going all-in a lot more feasible. Still, if you've maxed precision, STR is fine, considering it gives physical resistance too (which helps against getting stunned or knocked down). In light of that resistance I'm sure all-in str is pretty decent once you get it working, but you will really need to use the right gear and probably have your Ranger use the offensive stance and Barbarian using warcry to buff party precision in order to remedy that problem. You might find yourself using any liquor that gives agi buffs too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom