Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tomorrow more content at last

I just wish Solasta wasn't so soon after it

Solasta can wait, doesn't even have barbarians.

Brickfrog

Learned
It's well made. Not much to hate about it imo. You don't get to choose classes so certainly there's a lack of depth in character customization compared to plenty of other rpgs. The game it reminded me of most was druidstone. If you like setpiece, puzzle-like battles you might like this.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's well made. Not much to hate about it imo. You don't get to choose classes so certainly there's a lack of depth in character customization compared to plenty of other rpgs. The game it reminded me of most was druidstone. If you like setpiece, puzzle-like battles you might like this.

Seems like sale fodder to me, will keep an eye on it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh maybe wait for more people to reply before saying that. This game ranked highly in last year's Codex GOTY vote.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No it's good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I missed this first time round. Is it good?

Some of the reviews note that it lacks depth.
It is the best rpg from the last year,tho that doesn't mean much when there is not many rpgs from the last year. Combat is fun and challenging,the humour is pretty good in me opinion,and it feels like an actual tabletop session with mates. It depends what you want from an rpg,it is not for posers that play only garbage AAA like wasteland 3.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

No it's good.

Cool, I didn't really mean sale fodder in a negative way. Will keep an eye on it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You don't get to choose classes so certainly there's a lack of depth in character customization compared to plenty of other rpgs.
Ahhh that is half true,levelling up and choosing skills for your party have plenty of depth to it. There is no class because you don't play as a character but party of....7 maybe 8 people. Combat and levelling have plenty of depth,the only thing that it doesn't have depth is the loot.

Last edited:

Brickfrog

Learned
Yea I just mean that the "classes" are prefab and locked to characters. Didn't mean to imply your not spending stat and ability points +itemization. You just can't have a full party of wizards or w.e in this game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I missed this first time round. Is it good?

Some of the reviews note that it lacks depth.

Well, it's kind of streamlined, but in a good way - the gameplay is intricate enough (it's not "dumb" by any stretch of the imagination), but once you get into the swing of it, it's very kinetic and moreish. A bit like Solasta actually. It's more board-gamey than simulationist like Solasta is though, so it has a kind of compactness and self-containedness. But it's also incredibly well-made with fantastic attention to detail in everything, so it feels very "solid," not like a jokey throwaway product.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Just finished giving it a whack, French voice acting seems excellent (English felt a bit generic so I thought I'd give it a go). Very nice to have the option.

Yeah, you can tell it's quality. Though I did NOT appreciate being taught how to use cover in a fantasy setting that's the only thing that I can say against it so far. :lol:

It is impressive how they managed to streamline everything but keep the nuts and bolts of old school style exploration intact. Looking forward to playing more.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
It is pleasant news that I can report the new DLC takes place after the ending of the base game and you can import a save file from chapter 9 into the new chapter 10.

So that makes Spellforce 3 and Dungeons of Naheulbeuk the only two modern examples where dlc continues the story rather than just throw in random junk in the middle.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is pleasant news that I can report the new DLC takes place after the ending of the base game and you can import a save file from chapter 9 into the new chapter 10.

So that makes Spellforce 3 and Dungeons of Naheulbeuk the only two modern examples where dlc continues the story rather than just throw in random junk in the middle.
And both of them are top tier rpgs! Shame that the latest expansion of spellforce 3 whent for retarded trolls,not in to playing edgy races.

Antigoon

Augur
I just tried to play it a bit on my shitty work laptop, so not sure if that's the issue, but I again had massive delays on AI turns. It felt much worse than during the OC.

Antigoon

Augur
Alright, on a decent PC I got no issues with the AI delay anymore. But wtf is up with that inventory? After I imported my saves I had a shit tons of potions in my inventory I most certainly didn't have before. Like 23 oblivion potions or 130 major healing potions. Don't even think you could have bought that many potions during the OC.

Antigoon

Augur
Overall not too impressive. It's not too bad, but I was hoping for some more adjustments.

Good:
- No fucking mid-game expansion, import your end-game saves
- Setup/Story: Two factions to chose from, two paths to beat the DLC
- New enemies, not just reskins
- Some interesting new equipment
- Way more magic and status effects, fights feel a bit different because of that. Your biggest threats now are freeze debuffs and knockouts. They can take your whole group out with one action if you are huddling.
- Some larger battlefields, positioning and movement is again most important
- Challenging, I played it like the OC on epic and some of the battles felt like floor 3-4 level of difficulty

Bad:
- Very, very short. Just a few fights. Of course, times two for both factions
- AI still very one-dimensional
- Consumables still largely unusable
- Battles are a lot larger, at least if you join vampires you are facing 20 enemies per battle, which makes it very slow
- To counter the debuffs you have to mainly rely on potions, freeze debuffs are dished out also by archers, so they can hit everyone. You can't really avoid getting hit by those. There is still no pre-buffing or any other way to prepare yourself for combat other than making sure your positioning is right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom