Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just looking at Second Galaxy screenshots makes me retch. Also, EVE Echoes is garbage. It's basically promotional material to get people into real eve and/or tool to milk silly mobile gaming whales.

Mordru

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm not an EO vet, but the ones i play with say that its 90% EO. EO as a new player is pointless, at least with Echoes you can actually participate.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First, Mordru, I call BS. There are tons of things you can do as new player. Take it from someone who is a bittervet, being old in this game has its downsides, while being fresh you will get pretty much only the fun content if you join a good corp. As an example, I can fly every single subcapital ship in game, mostly with perfect skills. Guess who has to reship from their fav ship to something that FC needs? I also have alts - you accumulate them like rust on a Matari ship. So somebody needs some shit freightered, jumped, scouted, etc., who they gonna call? Old farts, that's who.

I know that whenever I run or help run anything, I want newbros to have as much fun as possible. That means that all the boring things will be handled for you by people like me.

On the other news, Skarkon is the first Final Liminality in Minmatar space. This system is significant from the lore/RP standpoint, as a big event involving Minmatar and Angels Cartel happened there. It was a major event of YC110 which was 2008, but it's RP echoes can still be felt.
ThIvkGE.png

Mordru

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So, if I play EO for a few weeks, can I become a high ranking officer in a major regional corp? I do get your point though.

Few weeks, in major corp - most likely not, simply due to the amount of resources and people they have. Becoming an important person in smaller corp - absolutely! Especially if you FC (it doesn't matter if you suck at it initially, just make sure to fly cheap). And after you get access, you can decide whether you like those dudes and want to fly with them, or whether you will clean out the hangars and go on to the next corp ;)

What should you do with your old ships?
There's no such thing as "old ship". There's stuff you can afford to fly, which will die sooner or later, and stuff you can't afford to fly, which you spin in hangar. There's a counter at the bottom once you reach 100 spins.

madbringer

Arcane
As a matter of fact, do NOT buy faction/T2/T3 ships if u don't know EXACTLY what ur doing with them. Never discount the utility of basic ships. If ur doing some risky shit, like ninja-looting other peoples mission sites, WH sites etc u want to have a ton of basic ships all over.

The corp I'm in has a nice cheap T1 ships doctrine. Used for drunken roams, FC training, etc. Lots of fun, because mistakes are cheap, as long as you remember not to sit in your expensive pod :D.

I don't exactly agree with madbringer here though. By all accounts, experiment and have fun. Just be prepared to loose your expensive shiny toys in case you are using them improperly, or somebody decides you're juicy enough to pop.

madbringer

Arcane
Hey man, if ur good with losing ur expensive blue-fitted faction ship, go for it. The main thing is, if u can afford it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I have no idea what T2 even means, I'm a total noob goofing around. Not even sure I will keep playing but I've had fun so far. I did the tutorials, then I've been doing PVE missions which seem good to practice. They were easy then got really hard. Last mission I kept having to bail to a station and repair and it filled up my shields and I could go back and finish them off. Then I was bored so bought a Destroyer for about 1.4 million, flew it back to my home base for a few days while I do training and think about what to put in the weapon slots and stuff. Then I was gonna insure it, and go do some more missions and hope I'm quick enough to bail before I get ganked.

madbringer

Arcane
T2/T3 means tech levels. If ur in the market ull notice ships with yellow and red tags, those are tech ships. Takes time to skill into and cost more than the basic versions. Faction ships are straight up upgrades but cost more and paint a target on ur back.

My point is, until u can afford to replace ur stuff, don't fly it. And keep all ur old ships.

Caim

Arcane
Tech 1 are the baseline ships that are the cheapest of the bunch and can fit a variety of roles, some more specialized than others. In a regular fight they can hold their own, even if some are more adapt at combat than others. Tech 2 ships are upgraded versions of these ships, often being better at the specific role of their baseline version. For example, the Tech 1 Punisher is the Amarr combat frigate and decent for low-level missions. The Punisher has two Tech 2 versions: the Retribution which is pretty much an upgraded Punisher and plays very similarly, or the Vengance which excells as a short-range rocket boat. Both versions are good at dealing good damage against frigates in somewhat different ways. Tech 2 versions can also be way different from the base version: the Amarr Coercer is a T1 destroyer that can use a massive 8 laser turrets and has a good range with them, but the T2 Heretic is instead an interdictor which can deploy warp disruption bubbles to counter ships warping away, but they can only do this in nullsec.

Tech 3 ships exist in two variants: the Tactical Destroyer and Strategic Cruiser. The Destroyers can switch between an offensive, defensive and speed mode on the fly, while the Cruisers have modules that let you determine the amount of slots and performance on your ship. They require both a high level of player skill and knowledge of the game, and if you don't have it you might as well save yourself the money and buy a ship of a similar size category if you do not meet the skill floor required to fly such a ship.

And yes, always limited yourself to flying things you can afford to lose.

madbringer

Arcane
Just to add a little to that, if u are a mostly solo player that wants to do exploration/stealth, Sisters of Eve ships are excellent for that. They are fairly inexpensive for how good they are. I earned far more than a 100 times the worth from flying an Astero and stealing shit from WH site runners.

Astero is a love of mine as well. It's not only an excellent explorer/ninja looter, but is good for pvp as well. Of course it can't do both at the same time. If you fit it for <2s align, and use integrated analyzers (or zeugmas) it's a very hard to catch explorer. Fit it for drone damage and it's a nice surprise kitey-ish pvp ship. https://ashyin.space/ is a good place to look for quite sensible fits.

deama

Prophet
Any advice on how to make ISK starting off? I've been playing for a few days and have been just doing agency missions, but I'm still stuck on level 1 cause my standing just isn't increasing with my faction for some reason? Only sometimes, and only very slowly?
Anyway, they're getting pretty boring now and I was wondering if there's something else to do for beginners? I tried to get into incursions, but no high sec incursions have spawned yet, and I hear that apparently you need a battleship as a minimum anyway? I only got a destroyer so far.
I tried doing the pirate base encounter thing, but got destroyed and no one seemed interested in forming groups for that.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Any advice on how to make ISK starting off? I've been playing for a few days and have been just doing agency missions, but I'm still stuck on level 1 cause my standing just isn't increasing with my faction for some reason? Only sometimes, and only very slowly?

You're worried about the wrong thing.

At its core, EVE is not a PvE game, and the PvE content always was and always will be boring. There are some people so dull that they enjoy EVE's PvE—but you're not one of them, or else you wouldn't be here asking these questions. The correct thing for you to do is head out to lowsec space (<0.5 security rating, but >0) and never return to highsec, except when you know what you're doing and have business there.

As for what you'll do in lowsec, you'll get into fights with random lowsec dwellers and die almost instantly, because you have no idea what you're doing. You probably won't make ISK, or certainly not much, and you may even be in the starter ship more often than not. However, some of the people who blow you up will give you advice, ask you questions, etc., and eventually you may meet up with a group who'll take you in. It's also possible to find such a group via the various forums that EVE players hang out in. This is the beginning of the path to becoming a player who knows what he is doing.

You see, it's possible to play EVE for hundreds or even thousands of hours via the PvE route, (almost) always under the protection of the space police in highsec, and still have no idea how to actually play EVE. One day, the career PvE player will be running missions in his 20bn ISK faction battleship loaded up with expensive officer modules, and suddenly a few strangers will appear nearby. The career PvE player will attempt to flee, but will be unable to for some reason he can't fathom. He'll fire his expensive weapons at his tormentors, but it won't do him any good. Soon, his 20bn ISK faction BS will blow up, and those evil strangers will grab all the juicy loot. The poor victim then quits the game forever, in all likelihood.

I played EVE from 2006-2012, and it's been nine whole fucking years since then—but I was a lowsec pirate, wormhole dweller (when WHs were new and absurdly profitable), and small-gang lowsec PvP hawk for most of that time. I ended up with over half a trillion ISK across my various accounts, and half a trillion ISK was worth far more then than it is now. But the ISK is only fuel for fun, and fun in EVE comes only in the form of PvP.

If my advice is outdated, then EVE is no longer EVE. But I strongly suspect that venturing forth into lowsec is still the best way by far to really get into the meat of the game. If you do need some pointers, you can always join EVE University and take their classes, and read the EVE University Wiki. This is by far the most complex MMORPG still running, or possibly ever; there is a great deal to learn.

deama

Prophet

You're worried about the wrong thing.

At its core, EVE is not a PvE game, and the PvE content always was and always will be boring. There are some people so dull that they enjoy EVE's PvE—but you're not one of them, or else you wouldn't be here asking these questions. The correct thing for you to do is head out to lowsec space (<0.5 security rating, but >0) and never return to highsec, except when you know what you're doing and have business there.

As for what you'll do in lowsec, you'll get into fights with random lowsec dwellers and die almost instantly, because you have no idea what you're doing. You probably won't make ISK, or certainly not much, and you may even be in the starter ship more often than not. However, some of the people who blow you up will give you advice, ask you questions, etc., and eventually you may meet up with a group who'll take you in. It's also possible to find such a group via the various forums that EVE players hang out in. This is the beginning of the path to becoming a player who knows what he is doing.

You see, it's possible to play EVE for hundreds or even thousands of hours via the PvE route and still have no idea how to actually play EVE. One day, the career PvE player will be running missions in his 20bn ISK faction battleship loaded up with expensive officer modules, and suddenly a few strangers will appear nearby. The career PvE player will attempt to flee, but will be unable to for some reason he can't fathom. He'll fire his expensive weapons at his tormentors, but it won't do him any good. Soon, his 20bn ISK faction BS will blow up, and those evil strangers will grab all the juicy loot. The poor victim then quits the game forever, in all likelihood.

I played EVE from 2006-2012, and it's been nine whole fucking years since then—but I was a lowsec pirate, wormhole dweller (when WHs were new and absurdly profitable), and small-gang lowsec PvP hawk for most of that time. I ended up with over half a trillion ISK across my various accounts, and half a trillion ISK was worth far more then than it is now. But the ISK is only fuel for fun, and fun in EVE comes only in the form of PvP.

If my advice is outdated, then EVE is no longer EVE. But I strongly suspect that venturing forth into lowsec is still the best way by far to really get into the meat of the game. If you do need some pointers, you can always join EVE University and take their classes, and read the EVE University Wiki. This is by far the most complex MMORPG still running, or possibly ever; there is a great deal to learn.
I was thinking of doing something similar, like become a pirate or something, but after I've found some basic income stream to be able to rebuy the parts for my ship no problem after I die.

Why'd you quit though?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I was thinking of doing something similar, like become a pirate or something, but after I've found some basic income stream to be able to rebuy the parts for my ship no problem after I die.

There is really no need. The less PvE you do, the better. I did so little PvE in EVE that I can't even give you proper advice about this, other than to say that, since time immemorial, tackling (flying up to an opponent and nullifying his engines) in a T1 Rifter with cheap modules is the classic occupation of a newbie.

In fact, when I was sitting on my 500bn ISK dragon hoard, I still preferred to fly covert ops scouts and interceptors (advanced tacklers). Like the Rifter, they are frigates.

When you find a pirate crew to take you in, they will provide everything you need—chiefly knowledge and experience, but they can surely keep you in cheap tacklers. Hating PvE is a highly valued personality trait.

deama

Prophet

There is really no need. The less PvE you do, the better. I did so little PvE in EVE that I can't even give you proper advice about this, other than to say that, since time immemorial, tackling (flying up to an opponent and nullifying his engines) in a T1 Rifter with cheap modules is the classic occupation of a newbie.

In fact, when I was sitting on my 500bn ISK dragon hoard, I still preferred to fly covert ops scouts and interceptors (advanced tacklers). Like the Rifter, they are frigates.

When you find a pirate crew to take you in, they will provide everything you need—chiefly knowledge and experience, but they can surely keep you in cheap tacklers. Hating PvE is a highly valued personality trait.
I found some pirate corp to join, but they say they have a 0% replacement policy and apparently I'm supposed to get an alt and use the alt to replace my ships and make the necessary money for PVP? Is that a bad corp to join?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A pirate crew that can't even replace its own T1 tacklers is a joke, yes. It means they're getting killed too often by other lowsec dwellers and aren't earning enough through piracy.

At least they're trying to play the actual game, though. Probably they're a bunch of carebears moonlighting as pirates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom