Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

When you're small and agile you can pick your fights.
despite shuttles, only on an interceptor (and only when the opponent is not fielding any or any properly fitted tackler), which is an expensive t2 ship, thus defeating what you previously said.
please stop embarassing yourself.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When you're small and agile you can pick your fights.
despite shuttles, only on an interceptor (and only when the opponent is not fielding any or any properly fitted tackler), which is an expensive t2 ship, thus defeating what you previously said.
please stop embarassing yourself.

You're right I won't explain the color of sunrise to the blind.
Tears of carebears were pretty sweet back in the day, I see they still are. :cool:

i'd answer that i was doing lowsec piracy when you still sucked on your father's cock, but, well, cclearly you still do, so my argument is invalid.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Surreal to realize that it's been a whole decade; I played EVE from 2006-2012.

Lowsec is indeed (or was, at least) the place to be. Even when the game was still fairly young, being amongst the rank-and-file of a nullbear alliance was hardly better than being an official highsec carebear, and arguably worse in some ways (being hemmed in, patrol duty, blob duty, having to flee suddenly when you lose sov, etc.).

To put it simply, you got paid more, but the cost of living was higher, the neighbors were assholes, and the HOA was a real bitch.

Highsec is beneath contempt. You learn nothing about the actual game there, at least not until you "graduate from lowsec" (at which point highsec actually tends to make you uneasy, in my experience).

After the usual lowsec gudfites newfaggotry and then small-time pirate corp stint, camping gates and running complexes, I spent some time in EVE University, founded a WH corp when Apocrypha dropped, made half a trillion ISK, and retired to fly with Agony Unleashed, which at the time and perhaps still today was one of the oldest and most elite small-gang warfare corps.

The best part of EVE is scouting in a CovOps and small-ganging in an interceptor, and maybe souped-up cruisers/HACs/T3s for variety. Other than solo lowsec terminators, small-gang roams require the most game knowledge, the most skill, they're explorational and dynamic, actually playing the game and having some nice fights (usually against the odds) was the most active and actively fun way to play.

But finding small-gang gudfites was never quick and easy, even if you purposely tried out fights you suspected you'd lose (trying to bait, hit-and-run, whatever), the only and unavoidable flaw of an otherwise near-perfect MMORPG.

Nullblobs have nearly always been giant pyramid schemes run by leaders who are the equivalent of untrustworthy Bitcoin exchange owners/cult leaders.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'll add too that the path to becoming a lowsec veteran can be tedious and annoying in its own right, even if it's the best path. The Agony Unleasheds of EVE's lowsec aren't going to want you until you at least have your feet well under you in terms of game mechanics and ship outfitting doctrines. Even then, you will probably deal with divas, entitled oldfags, nepotism, and so on and so forth. I imagine this is just as true now as it was ten years ago, if not more so.

That is, if lowsec hasn't somehow been ruined. Last I heard it had been enhanced to increase the ability of lowsec chads to fuck with nullbears, but it's been a while.

A decade ago I played EVE for a few months, during the Apocrypha expansion, when you were able to walk around in your apartment inside a space stations, and you used EVElopedia as your guide. I remember the character creator being pretty impressive, with you being able to click and drag your character's facial muscles. Only other game that came close was Black Desert.

I think I started out as Gallente. I distinctly remember I wanted to get one of those cool Wormhole ships that you could visually customize (did the devs ever release more of those kinds of ships?). I mostly did PvE missions in high sec and some mining. I think the biggest ship I managed to organically acquire and outfit was a destroyer or a cruiser. I hate running out of ammo so lasers were my preffered weapon of choice, though I remember overheating my power core a lot.

Some guy in system chat randomly gave me millions of ISK, which I then impulsively blew on buying the biggest ship I could pilot and afford, a Caldari battlecruiser. Looking at EVE University, I think it was Ferox. Ofcourse I was a total noob and didn't know how to make the best use of it, let alone outfit it properly. A couple days later I got into a fight with someone (don't recall whether I was travelling through low sec and got preyed upon, or if I was a total moron and shot first at someone) and got blown up. I had no cash left and the thought of grinding up from zero was really disheartening, so that was the end of that. In retrospect I should have just bought extra destroyers so if I lost a ship, I didn't start from zero again. But I realized I just wasn't into the gameplay or the aesthetics of the game. There were a couple memorable music tracks, though.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I kinda want to build stuff at the moment and once I got a good production operation I can feel fine tossing ships into PvP action.

I own quite a bit of blueprints and I've just been upgrading them (materials cost, speed, etc). I got all of the frigate blueprints originals, but I need to find a blueprint original for some of the heavier fighting ships.

I'm thinking about building a planetary mining outpost or a space station somewhere.

We can try to post here asfasdf, about stuff that is too big for the shoutbox.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I kinda want to build stuff at the moment and once I got a good production operation I can feel fine tossing ships into PvP action.

Trying to carebear hard enough and for long enough in highsec to afford the ships you'll lose in lowsec before you venture into lowsec to learn the actual game is generally considered to be a huge waste of time, and one that places you in peril of learning too many bad habits, of getting used to the carebear lifestyle. Everyone has to start somewhere to get some pocket change, I'll grant you that, and manufacturing is far from the most ignoble pursuit; but if you're running after BPOs beyond the most inexpensive and thinking about deploying highsec outposts and shit, you've already taken the carebearing too far.

You need to get out there right away in a basic tackler and just act like an asshole. Spending months scraping up ISK isn't the way to go.

I know how hard this advice is to swallow for someone who's new to the game, but keep in mind that it's coming from a turboveteran and that I'm correct, whether you like it or not.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I see the PLEX system has changed substantially since I played (it used to be 1 PLEX = ~500m ISK = 30 days = $14.99 or maybe $19.99), but right now it seems you can get 2BN+ ISK for $25 worth of PLEX. God knows how much inflation there's been since 2012, but it's probably been an awful lot.

Considering how many untold hours of your life you're spending on highsec manufacturing, there is no shame in buying a few billion ISK one time via PLEX, which will keep you in Rifters and even CovOps and intys out in lowsec for literal months as you train your pilot(s) in actual combat skills. By the time your paypig ISKies are scheduled to run low, you will long since have figured out whether or not you'll enjoy the game. You'll have either made it, or washed out and quit.

In fact, I can probably give you the ISK if by some miracle I can figure out how to get into my accounts (I've given billions to Codexers before). We'll see.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Trying to carebear hard enough and for long enough in highsec to afford the ships you'll lose in lowsec before you venture into lowsec to learn the actual game is generally considered to be a huge waste of time, and one that places you in peril of learning too many bad habits, of getting used to the carebear lifestyle. Everyone has to start somewhere to get some pocket change, I'll grant you that, and manufacturing is far from the most ignoble pursuit; but if you're running after BPOs beyond the most inexpensive and thinking about deploying highsec outposts and shit, you've already taken the carebearing too far.

You need to get out there right away in a basic tackler and just act like an asshole. Spending months scraping up ISK isn't the way to go.

I know how hard this advice is to swallow for someone who's new to the game, but keep in mind that it's coming from a turboveteran and that I'm correct, whether you like it or not.

I have a feeling that asfasdf will push me to PvP much faster than I normally would. This isn't a bad thing either, I've already started crafting ammo for larger ships I will acquire soon.

I think Nullsec is still in the game, I'm just curious as to why people engage in PvP these days besides the joy of fighting each other of course.

Something I read said that EvE Online had removed all ore from Nullsec.

Is there an economic reason to engage in PvP these days, or is it just for bragging rights?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I was curious as to why they removed ore from nullsec and why they seem to make it pointless to visit there now, but all I could find was some press statement about "redistributing the ore" without any real reason why they made the change.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I was curious as to why they removed ore from nullsec and why they seem to make it pointless to visit there now, but all I could find was some press statement about "redistributing the ore" without any real reason why they made the change.

Well you see, nullsec is by far the safest portion of EVE space if you're blue (friendly) to the local sovereign alliance, which is why nullsec dwellers are typically referred to as "nullbears." (That, and knowing how to show up with a cookie-cutter fit and pres butan in a blob fleet doesn't typically mark you as a combat expert.)

Lowsec is both the safest and the most dangerous portion of EVE space at the very same time, which is why it's superior. Nullsec is almost as full of carebears as highsec; they're just together in giant herds for protection, mostly from each others' sheepdogs.

This is not, by the way, to say that the dedicated elite combat pilots and fleet commanders of nullsec alliances aren't nasty forces to be reckoned with, because they are. Every once in a while, they get annoyed enough with lowsec dwellers gnawing on their ankles to light a cyno (this means "activate the ship teleporter") and drop a tailor-made assassination fleet somewhere in lowsec to strike a specific target(s), blowing up the killboards and providing a solid week's worth of gossipy entertainment for all.

Anyway, onto the main point: Veldspar is the most basic and common mineral type (and thus fundamental to EVE's economy), while spodumain is the rarest. Since nullbears can conduct massive mining operations with expensive, huge, high-yield mining fleets more safely than anywhere else in the game, removing ore from nullsec would reduce the supply of refined materials, thereby increasing its demand and thus market value. This would theoretically help newbie miners, but there's always Malcanis' Law (coined by an OG EVE player):

Malcanis' Law: Any proposal justified on the basis that "it will benefit new players" is invariably to the greater advantage of older, richer players.

deama

Prophet
So last time I played this was I believe a year ago, I remember the main reason giving up was me finding out that the higher end ships looked like crap and didn't go with the type of style I had in mind?
Also, non of the fun guilds like pirates wanted to take me.

Anyway, I heard there's been some sort of big update recently, with more ships added in. Worth it to get back into it?
I remember getting pretty bored with the missions too, so this time I may just buy the plex with irl money and sell it on the market for easy money whenever my ships get destroyed etc...

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing the last couple weekends with asfasdf.

It's been fun so far. I bought a couple of capital ship bpo, I plan to build them eventually, but I want to try out some other ships first. I think you can buy skins directly in the EvE store.

Either way, skins seem to be plentiful just from the daily rewards.

I know some people are anti-buying shit at all in games, but I have no issue in buying stuff in a game like EvE. Buying shit doesn't really give you an advantage over skilled players, and they probably appreciate the chance to blow up an easy asshole like myself.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I know some people are anti-buying shit at all in games, but I have no issue in buying stuff in a game like EvE. Buying shit doesn't really give you an advantage over skilled players, and they probably appreciate the chance to blow up an easy asshole like myself.

Such players are known colloquially as "loot piñatas."

The term was originally coined to describe solo PvE mission runners who, over time, spend all of their ISK upgrading their one mission-running ship (lol, lmao even). They gradually accumulate bigger and more expensive ships fitted with rarer and more expensive modules, until eventually they're flying faction battleships fitted with officer mods and are ripe for the picking.

Even deep inside of highsec (although loot piñatas tend to stray further toward and even into lowsec), strategies exist (or used to exist) to scan down and destroy loot piñatas before CONCORD arrives, using ships far more cheaply fit than the victim, who will be doctrined for PvE and not PvP. In fact, at one time, that was one of my favorite activities; it could be lucrative, but more importantly, it generated great hatemail. Typically, harvested loot piñatas also quit the game at that point, since their ship and most of their ISK were gone.

To the skilled and knowledgeable EVE player, only the player's own knowledge matters, with a side dish of personal connections. Not ISK, nor ships, nor mods, nor even one's pilot(s) matter, as more pilots can be acquired on the market (though it was years before selling pilots was officially allowed); in a sort of electronic Buddhism or apotheosis, the true EVE bittervet has completely transcended the (virtual) physicality of the game, existing on a purely spiritual (and usually hateful) plane. The game's actually fairly unique in this way, as far as I'm aware.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I probably could be described like that, but I'm not a complete retard.

I like mining and building shit, so I buy the blueprints and make my ships as I get ore. I usually run a procurer while mining. I've made a few, I even made one for asfasdf who is training skills for it and can probably fly this weekend.

I've done low sec runs in a procurer, but I usually stick to easier hi sec ores, I'm training skills for an Orca right now. That's my thing at the moment, I just want to build ships and run around in cheap ships in low sec and get blown up for a while. It's fine by me.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Generally speaking, miners are only targeted for practice or out of spite, while industry is hardly targeted at all. It's not lucrative and the hatemail is spotty at best, partly due to botting.

For years, Goonswarm organized an annual event in which pilots would gather en masse to hunt down as many miners as they could find. It was very entertaining.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
EvE seems like a fun game that I wish I had more time for. It's just the best overall mining game I've seen so far. The trainwreck of Dual Universe is why I picked this up again.

Idk how long this push by me will last, but its fun for now. I don't have huge goals in the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Just so you know, miners are considered to be an untouchable caste by all PvPers. Even ten years after retiring from the game, I have to work hard to resist the urge to think less of you for mining in EVE. :lol:

That being said, almost everyone who's played EVE has mined a bit at one point or another, whether they admit to it or not. It's (marginally) fun to train/optimax alts and go on semi-AFK mining gang adventures for a little bit of profit.

That reminds me: I used to set up "just some innocent miners" traps with a few gang members playing the role of innocent miners, and me and/or some other bittervets waiting at off-grid bookmarks (the EVE equivalent of being up on a ridge with a pair of binoculars) to pounce on anyone who came to blow up the Hulks and whatnot. The mining ships would be outfitted for tackling and/or tanking, not mining.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
No worries man, I understand the desire to purge casuals. I use to be heavily into MMO's also.

I'm just here to relax and break rocks now.

In related news though, I was gonna log in for a few minutes to reset my research timers, and I noticed this new update. I probably won't get a chance to try it out until Saturday, but maybe I'll get lucky and can break some new rocks on Thursday night.

https://www.eveonline.com/news/view/resources-realigned

https://universe.eveonline.com/new-...-deep-space-survey-group-of-upwell-consortium

Prospecting capsuleers,
Two recent exploratory and regulatory developments between the factions and corporations of New Eden are set to disrupt the cluster’s industrial landscape next week:
Read the full report from New Eden News to get the complete picture and story behind these events in the living universe of EVE!

NEW ORE TYPES​

Surveys conducted by four Upwell signatory corporations have revealed fields of novel mineral-rich asteroids in close proximity to type A0 blue stars across New Eden. Each of these new asteroid types will be named for the corporations involved in their discovery, and contain high concentrations of specific minerals:

19_64.png
Ducinium - contains deposits of Megacyte
22_64.png
Eifyrium - contains deposits of Zydrine
1230_64.png
Mordunium - contains deposits of Pyerite
1227_64.png
Ytirium - contains deposits of Isogen

LUNAR CONSERVATION​

Concern by the Empires regarding the over-extraction of moon ore has led to a compromise between CONCORD, the Upwell Consortium, and ORE which will see maximum moon mining yield reduced by 25% – striking a balance between necessary conservation and last year’s doubling of extraction yields.
The Upwell Consortium's rollout of requisite firmware updates is set to take place next week, concurrent with the public release of the coordinates for the newly discovered near-solar asteroid fields.
As part of resource distribution plan, we intend for this to ease some bottlenecks in T1 industry, specifically as it pertains to capital manufacturing which is ramping up, while ensuring that T2 resource harvesting & industry remains profitable.
Prepare for a realignment of resources, capsuleers – we'll see you in space!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Since I've been posting so much in this thread lately, memories of EVE have been resurfacing (pertinent example: the term "bittervet," an EVE original).

Anyway, I want to put together a "caste list," from the highest to the lowest: that is, from the most prestigious states of being in EVE to the lowliest.

Soloists: The highest caste in the game, these are the Manfred von Richthofens and Clint Eastwoods of EVE, the ace pilots and gunslingers. Collect killmail like birds collect twigs for their nests. When you fight them, you will lose. You will never be one of them.

Fleet Commanders (FCs): I mean nullsec alliance FCs, the only ones who matter. Have to hand it to these guys, they know their nullbear politics, fleet doctrines, and fleet ops and have learned to herd retards.

Small-gang/Bittervet Skirmishers: This was me. I believe this to be the pinnacle of the EVE experience if you can't/don't want to be a successful soloist or FC, which applies to >99.9% of players.

Expert Scouts: Scouting is the most important job in the game at all levels and strata of play, even more important than tackling. Good scouts are required for fleet ops, gang ops, (some) gate camps, and even moving your own self/materiel around space. Learning to scout is fundamental to learning not to be a carebear.

Pirates: The third tier of EVE PvPers, they've got most/all of the basics down pat, they've dipped into the intermediates, they're learning how everything fits together, and they've even managed to organize. If they're lucky, they'll transform into small-gang skirmishers someday.

Scammers: They prey upon the stupid and unwary and generate entertainment, a useful service (scamming is mostly allowed in EVE).

Gate Campers/Hatemail Hunters: The second tier of PvPer. They're starting to get the basics of being aware of their surroundings and how the game actually works, and have learned that hatemail is the most precious form of currency in EVE, even more so than hilarious killmails.

The Babby: New PvPer. Tries to shoot everything that moves, attacks transports in Jita and gets blown up by CONCORD, gets blown up trying to shoot miners, etc.

The Nullbear: Spends his time ratting (hunting NPCs for profit) and running complexes very cautiously, constantly terrified he'll be subject to surprise PvP or called upon to serve in a blob.

Space Overlords: The usurious, nepotistic charlatans who run major player nullsec alliances. They're placed below their nullbear rank-and-file for the same reason that CEOs are ranked below janitors by sensible persons. Only reason they aren't dead-last is that they (probably) do know how to play the actual game, or at least did at one time.

Industrialists: At least this requires more thought, organization, effort, and research than mining. There's certainly more to it.

Mission Runners: They essentially play EVE as a single-player game with a chat room, until one day they suddenly discover that it isn't.

Miners: The lowest of the low, these players choose to use their free time shooting virtual lasers at virtual rocks in a computer game, earning virtual peanuts.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I'm definitely not mining asteroids right now ~~~

edit..

guess that's not right about people targeting miners lol. Suppose I'll build a new ship now

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

edit..

guess that's not right about people targeting miners lol. Suppose I'll build a new ship now
Babbies will try to kill anything they can find. I never knew babbies to seek out industrialists much, but then CCP has been adding more PvE "stuff to do" in highsec beyond mission-running and mining since before I retired. They added planetary exploitation or whatever in 2010-2011, IIRC.

The highest tier of non-nullsec PVPers prey upon each other, on nullbears, and sometimes on very high-value targets. Also, highsec simply isn't as safe for the lowsec dweller, because there's too much traffic. It's like being blinded by noise. Also there are pilot security ratings, but that's easily bypassed with alts.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

edit..

Babbies will try to kill anything they can find. I never knew babbies to seek out industrialists much, but then CCP has been adding more PvE "stuff to do" in highsec beyond mission-running and mining since before I retired. They added planetary exploitation or whatever in 2010-2011, IIRC.

The highest tier of non-nullsec PVPers prey upon each other, on nullbears, and sometimes on very high-value targets. Also, highsec simply isn't as safe for the lowsec dweller, because there's too much traffic. It's like being blinded by noise. Also there are pilot security ratings, but that's easily bypassed with alts.

Seems like a lot of craziness, but I'll figure out something eventually.

A corporation asked me about mining for them and they'd protect me and replace any ships that get blown up, so I think I'll give that a try and see how it goes. They do pvp stuff also, but I just want to build right now, I probably gotta train a bunch of pvp skills any how.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Semi Update:

Still playing this game, about once or twice a week as I get time. Things have been moving along though.

I managed to figure out how to hack data and relic sites about 50% of the time, although getting the loot back to the station is another matter, but its been overall more profitable than the ships getting blown up.

Asfasdf and I are working on building a bunch of shit, really not sure what direction we are going yet, but we got some planetary mining stuff set up, and we are working on a logistics chain to manufacture the higher tier components.

Mining isn't really as profitable as other things, but its still nice to have that to fall back on I suppose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom