Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From an interview with Patrick Weekes:

-What was up with the Rachni story? Why did we get railroaded?
Welcome to game development. In some games (Alpha Protocol) they make a bold choice where some decisions can knock entire missions out of the story. At BioWare, we never want people to be locked out of content due to a decision several games ago. We just didn't have the resources to do an alternate for the Rachni mission, so we decided that the Rachni mission could occur whether or not players saved the Queen.

And biotards in the BSN are PRAISING this guy... it's... it's...

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

Stinger

Arcane
I heard too many bad things about it, and I couldn't bring myself to pirating a MCA game to form my own impression.
Pirate it. Seeing as Obsidian makes no money of sales off their games the only reason to buy an Obsidian game is so that strong sales keep them in business with that publisher and others. Obsidian's moved on past the not as strong sales of AP and they'll never do another game with Sega again, let alone an AP2.

Just pirate it and you won't be giving money to the publisher that cancelled Aliens: Crucible.

And biotards in the BSN are PRAISING this guy... it's... it's...
I dunno, he seems to be the first biodev to be frank about the reasoning behind the design of the game. After all the bullshit doublespeak from Laidlaw and Mac Walters and Casey Hudson etc. it's mildly interesting to at least see one dev say "Yeah we just didn't have the resources for it and nor do we actually really place value consequences beyond minor changes in dialogue"

And again, I don't think he's insulting AP. Plenty of Bioware developers like Gaider and Laidlaw have said good things about AP before and it sounds like he's actually admitting that Alpha Protocol did consequences better.

Deleted member 7219

Just buy it from Steam for fucks sake. It isn't a bad game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Welcome to game development. In some games (Alpha Protocol) they make a bold choice where some decisions can knock entire missions out of the story. At BioWare, we never want people to be locked out of content due to a decision several games ago. We just didn't have the resources to do an alternate for the Rachni mission, so we decided that the Rachni mission could occur whether or not players saved the Queen.
"Our games are not like Alpha Protocol where your choices have consequences!"
As a sidenote, I still love Alpha Protocol this much!

:rage:
Welcome to game development?

WTF is this shit?

2czy25u.png

Also I still love Alpha Protocol this much!

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well I don't know why you're all acting all shocked and shit. Hasn't it been clear for a long time now that bioware makes interactive movies for casual gamers? It's obvious that they don't want to implement real C&C, because then there's the possibility that you do something wrong. How can Shepard do something wrong? Everything he does is great, and the player should feel fantastic and awesome every second of playing a bioware game.

Turjan

Arcane
I never played Alpha BROtocol :(
I heard too many bad things about it, and I couldn't bring myself to pirating a MCA game to form my own impression.
It sold for $2. That's hardly an expense crying about if the game turms out to be not to your liking.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

atatatatatatata.gif

DraQ

Arcane
Common sense has it that if allow importing a save with this kind of life VS death decisions, they should be reflected in the sequel, OR there should be no import and established canon ending.

And not locking players out of content?

I'd fucking tear this fucker's head off and shit down his neck.

It should be more like locking *every* player out of *some* content, that's how you make your fucking choices fucking matter you fucking fuck.
:x

circ

Arcane
I haven't played ME3, but I don't even know what the hell he's talking about. I thought you could kill every last rachnid in ME 1. So if you did that, you still get to meet rachnids? Because of resources? Did you mean to say because you're retarded?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And it's been confirmed by the game-files and the game itself that the sticky is bullshit. "

Bullshitz? Confirmed by who? Morans. I don't believe morans./

What's funny is that there are plenty of C&C in ME3. So that BIo dev is lying. Though, they did twist things so the consequences aren't as harsh as they could. I wish there was.

Too bad all that makebelieve C&C in AP is sorrounded by one of the worst games in hiostory. Certainyl no FO:NV. R00fles!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
What's funny is that there are plenty of C&C in ME3
Correction: there are plenty of C in ME3.

Isn't it too bad that the consequences happen regardless if a choice was made or not? What is up with that, Volleyball? I need you to tell me.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
hells yeah bros Bioware is pro-consumer all the way because they want gamers to experience all the content no matter what and still get to make important choices like who do I fuck

wait, isn't just getting one space romance being locked out of content as well, content that you can't measure with stats because love and emotions are beyond numbers

you can't quantify that kind of damage to the narrative, which is a great narrative by the way best science fiction plot since crysis

Why isn't there a choice to have all the choices anyway, what are we back in the 90s is this goddamn Ghouls and Ghosts Effect

BIOWARE WHY DO YOU WANT TO CONTROL GAMERS SO MUCH I THOUGHT YOU KNEW HOW TO INNOVATE

Oesophagus

Arcane
It should be more like locking *every* player out of *some* content, that's how you make your fucking choices fucking matter you fucking fuck.

You know, the best part is that they don't have to lock players out of content. Just make their decisions, or their lack, matter, as in you don't do a quest in ME1, a quest in ME3 has a different ending. How fucking hard is that? There's no "locking out" in that case, but of course the problem then is, that it requires effort. And effort in Bioware's world is an exotic fruit that is very rarely seen

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the problem then is, that it requires effort

"Mass Effect games are complex enough without branching choices. Adding that kind of feature would be technically unfeasible and take away from the strong focus of the narrative."

bioware gamers don't want to see consequences bro

they want to be told that they are making important choices and have the game show them a special boner each time
the trick is that its the same boner no matter what, but since the boner is visceral there is no problem unless you are some kind of grognard elitist asshole who doesn't like to have fun

Oesophagus

Arcane
they want to be told that they are making important choices and have the game show them a special boner each time
the trick is that its the same boner no matter what, but since the boner is visceral there is no problem unless you are some kind of grognard elitist asshole who doesn't like to have fun

Well, yeah, from what I've seen in ME2, every choice that I make is awesome. You can't do anything wrong. In RK47's LP of ME3 I see the exact same thing. The only difference your choices make is how the NPCs end up sucking your dick

racofer

Thread Incliner
Common sense has it that if allow importing a save with this kind of life VS death decisions, they should be reflected in the sequel, OR there should be no import and established canon ending.

And not locking players out of content?

I'd fucking tear this fucker's head off and shit down his neck.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9727223/316

"It has come to our attention that many of our fans have expressed discontent towards our approach on Consequences on the Mass Effect™ games. Since we at BiowarEA are always concerned about constructive feedback from our fanbase, today we announce that Mass Effect™ 3 will receive in a couple of weeks a brand new free DLC - Remastered Choices and Consequences. This DLC is intended expand the Mass Effect™ universe even further, increasing the player's immersion into this epic galactic tale, by introducing BiowarEA's latest technology and artistic prowess in dynamic gaming design."

Players will now be given quests based on their previous actions in the series. Shepard's implants, received in Mass Effect™ 2 by the terrorist organization Cerberus, are in fact Reaper technology. As such, Shepard may now present "glitches" throughout the game that might cause uncertain levels of confusion, playing with the Commander's mind and subsequently blinding him from ongoing events. What does this represent on Shepard's intergalactic war efforts? That's remain to be seen.

• Experience endless and unpredictable consequences to your actions.
  • Shepard's state of mind is now based on your Will Score, accumulated throughout the series.
  • Every quest is now randomly given, based on your Will Score.
  • Over a dozen fully voiced, dramatic and emotionally engaging groans will depict Shepard's struggle to stay focused on the war.
  • Complete party banter will now reflect on Shepard's state of mind throughout the campaign.
  • A new ending, should you lose the fight to keep your own sanity.
2dvlz6r.jpg

DraQ

Arcane

You know, the best part is that they don't have to lock players out of content. Just make their decisions, or their lack, matter, as in you don't do a quest in ME1, a quest in ME3 has a different ending.
Different cutscene counts as content, bro, especially in an interactive movie.
:troll:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You know, the best part is that they don't have to lock players out of content. Just make their decisions, or their lack, matter, as in you don't do a quest in ME1, a quest in ME3 has a different ending. How fucking hard is that?
They actually did this with some quests, like the rachni queen in ME3. Problem is, there just aren't enough of them, and the consequence too often is a little UPDATE to one of your war assets and little more. Which in and of itself would've been fine if the war assets affected the endgame in a more substantial manner, beyond ooooooh bendy colored beam.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Different cutscene counts as content, bro

In this age where designers can truely make the games they envision, why tell players about consequences through text than compelling visual imagery?

a picture is worth a thousand words, and a cutscene is worth a thousand pictures, which makes one of bioware's consequences worth a thousand of the ones from fallout or arcanum

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Correction: there are plenty of C in ME3.

Isn't it too bad that the consequences happen regardless if a choice was made or not? What is up with that, Volleyball? I need you to tell me. "
Don'tm lie. It's no FO; but there certainly is C&C in ME3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom