Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Oh right, the first mission was the one where you help Basso meet his gf. The real Basso. Fuck now i have to play again.

Mebber

Educated
I'm a massive Thief fan, and what i've read about the game in this thread so far sounds absolutely awesome. Original Thief games had this one nasty habbit of being too complicated to be played while drunk as shit; this one sounds more like it to me. Just look at this map comparison - no more getting lost in needlessly big labyrinth-style maps because i've sacrificed my sense of direction to sweet liquor, yay!

Thank you EM for not forgetting about your alcoholic customers out here! Now we don't have to choose between our addiction and experiencing a Thief game anymore. :incline:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
This game caters to the deaf and disabled, to Dishonored fans, to angsty teenagers, to emos and goths, to the androgynous and gay, to perverts, retards and even the damn casuals.

The fans of the series though? Oh no, they're too much of a minority.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
FFS, why did I pay money for this?

1bodysnatchers2.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shamus is a pretty fair critic. He tends to rail on games if he feels they are just bad but he always expresses his opinion in a pretty articulate way. I believe him when he says Thief has moments of greatness and shows a lot of potential underneath the lack of polish and weird design choices, and honestly I'm not sure we would gain much from yet more bashing of the game. Everyone knows the state of it, up to and including the developers most of all, I'm sure.

Sonus

Educated
I thought the whole constructive point of pointing out the problems was to avoid them in the future. Learning from history, and all that.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Shamus is a pretty fair critic. He tends to rail on games if he feels they are just bad but he always expresses his opinion in a pretty articulate way. I believe him when he says Thief has moments of greatness and shows a lot of potential underneath the lack of polish and weird design choices, and honestly I'm not sure we would gain much from yet more bashing of the game. Everyone knows the state of it, up to and including the developers most of all, I'm sure.

So have you finished it seven times yet?

LivingOne

Savant
, this wasn't exciting or interesting,
It was for me.

In this new game, Garrett no longer steals things by looking at them. His hands reach out, grab the thing, and then put it away. If it's really valuable, he might look at it for a second or two and say something about it.

Some people complain that this gets old. It's true. But I don't think it's a bad feature. It just needs to be toned down a bit. In this game Garrett steals all kinds of cheap crap. Rather than have a room that contains five items worth three gold each, how about we just have one item in the room worth 15? Those animations will feel special if we don't see them every few seconds. I like the feeling that Garrett is a person with a body and not a floating cursor that makes loot disappear.
On the one hand having less items to loot might make them more intresting individually and reduce tedium,yes,but having less items to loot might also mean having less rewards to encourage exploration.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Where is the Dragonfall review, nigger?

Mebber

Educated
On the one hand having less items to loot might make them more intresting individually and reduce tedium,yes,but having less items to loot might also mean having less rewards to encourage exploration.

Exactly, and looking for the very last bit of loot was one of the really good parts in the original game. I remember the bank level in Thief 2, a complete nightmare in terms of "complete looting" - with a bunch of single brown copper coins on top of some brown wooden stairs and shelfs. Almost invisible, it was quite arduous to find these tiny coins, but it was never "tedious". It was fun because i wanted to find them. This kind of well-hidden loot wasn't a game breaker either - the actual value wasn't very hight, and not finding this stuff had a minimal inpact on the game itself. There was enough openly visible loot in the Thief games to not force players to search every corner and still earn enough money to buy good stuff for the next mission.

Looting wasn't just "earning money for the next mission", it was also "search and grab absolutely everything you can lay your greedy hands on", so reducing the amount of loot items for the sake of fewer but more valuable items isn't a good idea i think. If looting is tedious because there are three items in a room, don't remove two items, hide them in better places to encourage the player to find them. You can still add "special loot" to the missions (as in the previous games) if you wan't some more "distinguishable" loot.

Personally i don't even care that much about distinguishable loot or Garrett commenting or looking at his loot. After all, it's "Thief" and not "The nightly adventures of Garrett the art-critic".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They could have just *gasp* gave some loot an animation and most not.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

Where is the Dragonfall review, nigger?

soon (tm) :martini:

No Great Name

Arcane
Old garrett was the master thief because he was so fast grabbing the loot that you couldn't see his hands...:smug:
I honestly do not understand what the problem with that is. It never bothered me in the slightest that there was no animation. Can anyone explain to me why this is a problem?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Old garrett was the master thief because he was so fast grabbing the loot that you couldn't see his hands...:smug:
I honestly do not understand what the problem with that is. It never bothered me in the slightest that there was no animation. Can anyone explain to me why this is a problem?

next-gen retards without any imagination

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom