Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Codex Year of the Donut
GOG or bust for me.

Do not suffer the DRM to live. Do not allow it to multiply. Do not tolerate exclusives. No mercy.

Gonna be a hard year for GOG man. They're getting shafted big time with those exclusives, getting next to no new AAA / AA releases for a year until the Epic experiment falls falt on its face... (Let's hope)
Can't help but feel the hypocrisy of people who hate epic store but are OK with steam games loaded up with Denuvo
people hate the epic store because it's locked to a specific vendor you dunce
the same reason people hate microsoft store exclusives

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
GOG or bust for me.

Do not suffer the DRM to live. Do not allow it to multiply. Do not tolerate exclusives. No mercy.

Gonna be a hard year for GOG man. They're getting shafted big time with those exclusives, getting next to no new AAA / AA releases for a year until the Epic experiment falls falt on its face... (Let's hope)
Can't help but feel the hypocrisy of people who hate epic store but are OK with steam games loaded up with Denuvo
people hate the epic store because it's locked to a specific vendor you dunce
the same reason people hate microsoft store exclusives
Also illegal spyware,i even contacted my EU parliament seat about it and i would encourage any other EU citizen to do this.

Seethe

Arbiter
GOG or bust for me.

There's no hypocrisy here, people hate Steam and Epic Store for different reasons. Epic Store has a bunch of other extra nasty shit that you see only on consoles. What next, pay a subscription to access their launcher for online gaming? I would expect this to happen soon.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Newsflash, people: whether it's Epic, Microsoft, or Steam, all the clients have spyware in them. Proprietary software and spyware practically go hand-in-hand these days.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Newsflash, people: whether it's Epic, Microsoft, or Steam, all the clients have spyware in them. Proprietary software and spyware practically go hand-in-hand these days.
Don't forget GOG downloader!!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The whole "spyware" thing is obviously a manufactured rationalization by people who are miffed about their cheese being moved. "It's not just annoying, it's evil!" Zzzzzz.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Obsidian should cover Epic money and offer a better deal to Take 2, just to avoid this. They have the most to lose on this.

How can a company fuck up so badly as Obsidian? They had the momentum to screw Bethesda, create a new beloved franchise and just let it go. Its always a lot of bad luck, timing, bad decisions... They always have something wrong happening when everything seems right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Allegedly an Obsidian developer on some Discord channel:

intMgYK.png

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Exclusives on Epic are a very good reason to prefer Steam. And some Steam releases are DRM-free.

But DRM-free games are also a very good reason to prefer GOG over Steam.

No hypocrisy there.

Yosharian

Arcane
The only thing more retarded than this Epic Store exclusive are the idiots defending it by saying LUL STEAM MONOPOLY.

Nobody's saying that the game can't also launch on the Epic Store you stupid fucks. It's exclusivity that is disliked.

Obviously it goes without saying that, in the long run, this is just going to be a good thing. Epic Store suckers can beta-test the game for a year for us, while we play other games. I mean shit, I have an insane backlog right now, let alone in 2020.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only thing more retarded than this Epic Store exclusive are the idiots defending it by saying LUL STEAM MONOPOLY.

Nobody's saying that the game can't also launch on the Epic Store you stupid fucks. It's exclusivity that is disliked.

Yeah! I say let Epic compete against a leviathan with 15 years of market dominance under his belt and 70 million users locked into the ecosystem without exclusive deals and see how good they are!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
somewhere Chris Avellone is smiling :M

Looking forward to tomorrow when Paradox drives another stake into the heart of Obsidian.

Yeah! I say let Epic compete against a leviathan with 15 years of market dominance under his belt and 70 million users locked into the ecosystem without exclusive deals and see how good they are!
Bigbrained idea: Trying to get people to your store by providing a better experience for users.
Smallbrained idea: Literally say "we don't care about the user experience, the publishers will make us a success" and throw a lot of money around for exclusives while providing an even worse experience for users.

Yosharian

Arcane

If they don't bring anything more interesting than exclusivity deals, they're not much of a competitor are they?

Steam has 15 years of market dominance because they are consumer-focused. Epic is just bringing boatloads of cash and stealing games from the market with it. The central positive idea behind market competition is, you build a better product, and force your competitors to also build better products, thus the consumer wins, because they get access to better products. This runs contrary to what Epic is doing, which is just throwing money at developers and having a store front that is objectively inferior to Steam.

But whatever, clearly you have a hate-boner for Steam, and you're not too smart considering your main argument consists of pressing the Retarded button on posts you disagree with.

Fairfax

Arcane
somewhere Chris Avellone is smiling :M
This doesn't hurt the owners, so probably not. He'd likely say that he feels bad for the devs, who had nothing to do with the decision. He's also working with the same publisher through Ken Levine's studio, and it's possible the same thing will happen to that game.

Looking forward to tomorrow when Paradox drives another stake into the heart of Obsidian.
yes.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom