Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers

grimace

Arcane
How many times have The Ted Peterson fooled Daggerfall fans?

Old Hans

Arcane
$702,960 total
Far too much for what little they've actually shown and how they conducted themselves throughout the campaign. If they manage to cobble that early access release together, great. I don't even care if the full game releases. The 140sqkm island would be enough for me to enjoy.

I refuse to believe there are enough daggerfall fans out there to donate 700,000 dollars.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How is Kickstarter Money Being Used?
Here’s the scoop! We've successfully received the funds from Kickstarter and are thrilled to kick off production officially. We deeply appreciate our community for entrusting us with their hard-earned funds, and it's crucial that you know precisely how we plan to utilize them. Here's a detailed breakdown of where these funds will be allocated over the next year to bring you an extraordinary early access experience. Thank you for your unwavering trust and support; we are beyond excited to embark on this new phase of development.
wayward_realms_pie_chart.png

Three founders with a coincidental equal split of the 3 largest allocations. One of the founders is a former programmer, another is a writer. Depending on how some numbers worked out, those pieces of the pie are 90-100K each. Beaks are getting wet. They definitely crowd-source their salaries for the next year. When I supposed that 75% of this budget was already gone, I think I nailed it. We'll see if any publishers bite in a year when the money is formally gone.

grimace

Arcane
Three founders with a coincidental equal split of the 3 largest allocations. One of the founders is a former programmer, another is a writer. Depending on how some numbers worked out, those pieces of the pie are 90-100K each. Beaks are getting wet. They definitely crowd-source their salaries for the next year. When I supposed that 75% of this budget was already gone, I think I nailed it. We'll see if any publishers bite in a year when the money is formally gone.

Yes. This Kickstarter was to pay money to the three guys who designed this Daggerfall-2-AssetStore-TechDemo.

If they are really geniuses they will make sure the Early Release demo is mod capable from Day 1 like Minecraft so the fans build the game as volunteers.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
If they are really geniuses they will make sure the Early Release demo is mod capable from Day 1 like Minecraft so the fans build the game as volunteers.
I don't think this is this kind of game. This should be perfectly playable without mods.

grimace

Arcane
I don't think this is this kind of game. This should be perfectly playable without mods.

I was suggesting the Minecraft model of early access release.

Some software development kit (SDK) from the initial release so that volunteers can add features to the base code release.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
How is Kickstarter Money Being Used?
Here’s the scoop! We've successfully received the funds from Kickstarter and are thrilled to kick off production officially. We deeply appreciate our community for entrusting us with their hard-earned funds, and it's crucial that you know precisely how we plan to utilize them. Here's a detailed breakdown of where these funds will be allocated over the next year to bring you an extraordinary early access experience. Thank you for your unwavering trust and support; we are beyond excited to embark on this new phase of development.
View attachment 53310

7% funding on game design... 23% on writing. Lol.. how embarrassing. They got the numbers mixed up.

Vic

Savant
Again, I don't think this is this kind of game that hinges on mods to be good. Simply because of the VGM thing and the vibe they're going for with this. It will be probably be closer to Morrowind, where the vanilla game is a full experience and mods will only add to, not make the experience. But that's just my opinion from what I've read about this project.

grimace

Arcane
Vic

I'm stating that Wayward Realms will only be a complete game when the volunteers finish the game in the same way the community made Daggerfall Unity. This is my prediction for the future.

OnceLost does not have the funds they said they needed to finish the game. They have the funds for 11 months of development towards a viable Early Access release.

Those precious few months had better include the SDK and "mod tools" built in or we'll see another wasted effort like Ultima Underworld Ascendent of the Avatar!

Vic

Savant
I'm stating that Wayward Realms will only be a complete game when the volunteers finish the game in the same way the community made Daggerfall Unity. This is my prediction for the future.
Daggerfall Unity is a port of the original game, which was already complete.

OnceLost does not have the funds they said they needed to finish the game. They have the funds for 11 months of development towards a viable Early Access release.
Where did they say that? Are you making shit up?

Those precious few months had better include the SDK and "mod tools" built in or we'll see another wasted effort like Ultima Underworld Ascendent of the Avatar!
If the game is shit nobody is going to bother modding it because it doesn't have Bethesda's engine. Doubt they know how to make a good modding engine. They should focus on adding the type of content they're good at instead of wasting time creating a toolkit that almost nobody will care about.

grimace

Arcane
Vic

Frequently Asked Questions​

• How long until we can play the Early Access?

Our intent for the Kickstarter Campaign is to get enough funds to fund a year of development on the Early Access build, however we cannot guarantee that it will be ready at the end of that year, and may take a little longer to get ready for players. Our aim, however, is to get it in the player's hands as soon as possible.
    Last updated: Thu, February 29 2024 10:28 AM CST
  • How long after Early Access until the full game releases?

We don’t have a concrete answer for this, the reason being that we will be seeking out further funding from traditional routes in order to finish the game and we don’t know how long that will take. Our aim is to keep everyone updated on progress and milestones.
    Last updated: Thu, February 29 2024 10:28 AM CST

ctrl + F

Our intent for the Kickstarter Campaign is to get enough funds to fund a year of development

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oncelostgames/the-wayward-realms/faqs

Vic

Savant
Yes and they will obviously continue development after they reached EA. Do you think they'll just drop it? Are you fat? You sound fat.

Vic

Savant
I hope it does because this looks quite promising. So 11 months until Early Access and then years of patches (ideally) until we get something good. I hope I don't die of a heart attack from having too much sex like a stud before this is out of EA.

ADL

Prophet
Just came across this gem on their Discord. If this game ever releases in a meaningful state, and that's a big fucking IF, it's because they had slave labor. That budget allocation is insane.
xcQWEDx.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom