Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just rolled credits on The Witcher for the first time after a little over 50 hours. Haven't played the sequels or read the books. Did enjoy the Netflix series, can't put my finger on why, given how many obvious flaws it has. There's something in the way the Witcher universe combines 90s-flavor edginess along with unabashed wholesomeness and cheesiness (endless DESTINY talk, Geralt's family-building desires, etc.) that makes it a pretty compelling place to spend time in.

Agree with a lot of common sentiments - the strength of the writing, design and soundtrack all contribute to a great atmosphere that compensates for some of the game's weakest aspects. I will say that the interface is a joy to use and the alchemy system is great. Reading up on monsters and researching potions really had me immersed in the traveling mercenary monster slayer experience. As far as the combat goes, at least I can say it didn't turn me off from the game. It's in a very weird middle ground for action-RPGs. The typical issue with action RPG combat is that player skill usually eliminates the difficulty curve as a good player can make up for all kinds of statistical deficiencies. Stats end up feeling pretty meaningless. That's not the case here. I actually quite enjoyed the combination of the strategic (researching monsters, drinking potions) and the tactical (proper positioning and timing) elements of combat. It's repetitive and not that deep, but I rarely found it a slog despite it feeling jank as all hell. More importantly I found that although timing and positioning aren't difficult, they still matter in combat. But obviously your potions and buffs do as well. So it's unique in balancing those two things, and I appreciate the devs' take on gameplay. Tough to compare it to much else.

Of course a huge chunk of the game is not spent in combat. Didn't mind playing as a pre-defined character as I find Geralt quite likeable and was satisfied with the freedom the game gave me to define his post-amnesia personality, without ever making me feel like I'd lost the thread of the character. Those who love role-playing a blank slate character are going to be bothered by this aspect of the game but it's not a major issue for me, in this case. The game's not going to be all things to all people but I really enjoyed my time with it and appreciate its unique qualities.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Haven't (...) read the books.

Dew eet.

Have heard mixed things about the English translations. What's the optimal way to go about this? How do the short stories compare to the saga?

The official translator should be hanged, drawn and quartered. And I say it as a professional PL-ENG and ENG-PL translator. Best look for fan translations of the short stories, they used to be floating the 'net. The novels... If I recall correctly the fan translations went up to about half the second one. After that its the official shite. HOWEVER, if you liked TW1, translation quality will be secondary to grasping the story itself.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think that the whole vibe of the first game where you had to prepare potions, upgrade gear, prep up, switch fight stances and meditate before big fights made me feel like a real Witcher who had to relay on preparation and not only twitchy skills to get by... that got lost in Witcher 3 and was probably my biggest gripe with that game

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think that the whole vibe of the first game where you had to prepare potions, upgrade gear, prep up, switch fight stances and meditate before big fights made me feel like a real Witcher who had to relay on preparation and not only twitchy skills to get by... that got lost in Witcher 3 and was probably my biggest gripe with that game
Also, having to wait until night to go hunting for monsters was great. There were practically no monsters during the day. During the night, NPCs were scarce and monsters were everywhere. I don't understand why they abandoned this unique mechanic-I guess it was too complicated for casual Skyrim players. Imagine if travelling during the night was hard and dangerous, and you had to travel during the day in The Witcher 3, while huting monsters at night. And the night catching you unprepared being dangerous.

Also, having to wait until night to go hunting for monsters was great. There were practically no monsters during the day. During the night, NPCs were scarce and monsters were everywhere. I don't understand why they abandoned this unique mechanic-I guess it was too complicated for casual Skyrim players. Imagine if travelling during the night was hard and dangerous, and you had to travel during the day in The Witcher 3, while huting monsters at night. And the night catching you unprepared being dangerous.

I always liked this, it made the world feel more real. Civilization really wouldn't survive if the entire wilderness was always teeming with monsters to the point where only superhumans were able to get from one town to the next. Having mostly safe days but dangerous nights is an environment where humans are able to realistically cope with dangerous creatures. It also made the monsters feel more real, the monsters know (or instinctively act) that if they start going out during the day and seriously inconveniencing humans that they'll be fought with an army of soldiers. Of course there's still the odd danger during the day, and incentive to hunt monsters who might be preying on the fringes of society, but you don't feel like the entire world should be collapsing within a week of hordes of supernatural creatures every 20 feet.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Haven't (...) read the books.

Dew eet.

Have heard mixed things about the English translations. What's the optimal way to go about this? How do the short stories compare to the saga?
Official translations are hot garbage until they switch translators later on.
Here's a link to the fan made ones that I read. I compared the official to these ones throughout to check if they were as good/correct and they seemed to be. This has everything except for tSeason of Storms which was written afterwards and should be read last. At that point the official translations got better and you can just read the official:

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...ZSNkpVcEhfeEw3d1drV0pXU3l3dklhWjNMajBaeTFnWnM

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
HOWEVER, if you liked TW1, translation quality will be secondary to grasping the story itself.

Probably true. The occasional rough translation really added to the game's charm :) thanks for the info!

I always liked this, it made the world feel more real. Civilization really wouldn't survive if the entire wilderness was always teeming with monsters to the point where only superhumans were able to get from one town to the next. Having mostly safe days but dangerous nights is an environment where humans are able to realistically cope with dangerous creatures.

This was another thing the game did well. The day/night cycles matching up with monster activity went a long way towards making the game's world feel alive and deepening the "I'm actually a witcher" experience. Loved meditating, prepping, learning when to switch stance etc.

plus that ominous night time music that played was perfect

Incredible soundtrack overall, maybe one of the best I've ever heard.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Nope, though I did work on game translations. In the end I translated many more novels, tho.
Does translation work pay well in Poland?

Decently enough. Problem is, publishing houses are full of retarded people.

Or were you translating for the English market?

Little difference as long as the employer is from PL, even if their market is outside ;)

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Who else sided with the Order? :smug:

I went into the bank in Act 3 to try and negotiate with the Squirrels terrorists and ended up with the choice of either fighting them or helping them escape. At this point I figured my neutrality was a thing of the past - as far as the game was concerned - so naturally teamed up with my boy Siegfried. Siding with the Order definitely made me feel dirty at times but I'm pretty sure you're going to feel a little dirty no matter what, seems to be the entire point of the franchise.
Poking around elsewhere on the internet I can't find many defending the Order (lots of sympathy for the Squirrels). I've heard in passing that the neutral path is the "best" (and most in line with book Geralt's personality); do you have to entirely avoid getting involved at the bank to stay on the centrist chad path?

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
do you have to entirely avoid getting involved at the bank to stay on the centrist chad path?

No. The bank locks you out from siding with one of the factions (the one you go against at the bank won't trust you). In Act V you always have the choice of going neutral.
Interesting. I didn't help either side in the swamp in Act 2. So whoever you side with at the bank is the side that will help you assault the Salamander base at the end of Act 3, but you're still free to stay neutral with the hostage situation in Act 4 (and presumably make enemies of both sides)?

On another note I really enjoyed the reactions from various NPCs of my siding with the Order. At first I was getting annoyed at comments from Zoltan, Triss etc. with all the outright condemnation and refusal to acknowledge any nuance in the game's central factional conflict. Then I realized it's pretty damn realistic writing :lol: bunch of fence sitters acting like their hands are any cleaner. I have to assume Geralt gets nonstop criticism from everyone regardless of his actions, looking forward to seeing different flavors of this on a second playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom