Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Infinitron, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Semiurge Arbiter

Semiurge
    European brown bears should be almost 7 ft tall when standing up.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Been playing Witcher 3 recently.
    Its a pretty game and I like the dialogue, but the actual gameplay isn't great.
    It feels really by the numbers; they stripped out everything interesting about the Alchemy mechanic and turned it into something brainless. You don't actually need potions for combat as you can just spam quen and dodge as long as your level is around the same as the enemy's (otherwise you get one shot, which potions won't help with anyway because they are pretty weak and short lived). You don't even need to make potions because all you have to do is make it once and it automatically replenishes when you meditate. Collecting ingredients is just pointless for that reason.
    You know something is wrong when you can take a skill that increases health regen from food to 20 minutes instead of taking Swallow and its more efficient.

The overall flow of the quest line is pretty awkward with Act I taking ages and requiring relatively high levels but later Acts are rather short and don't have that much of a level requirement, and the inventory / crafting UI is absolute crap.
    I can't help thinking that the first witcher game felt better to play and Witcher 2 had a more coherent structure, even though that had it's own share of nonsense (like QTEs).

Its not a bad game per se, but its not as great as everyone (well, game journos and those outside of the Codex, anyway) makes it out to be.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    It's a p. bad RPG but it's one of the most memorable video games ever due to the Nobel Prize grade soundtrack, writing and Sapkowski's world.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Yeah a RPG it's pretty crap, but that's sort of to be expected nowadays.
    When people say RPG they really mean action-adventure game with level scaling and loot. They don't mean Fallout 2 or Planescape Torment, which have their roots in Pen and Paper role playing games.

Also, I really don't like how Gwent replaced Dice Poker.
    Gwent feels like it requires even less skill as all you need are good cards in your deck, the game basically shoves it in your face several times and it doesn't even make any bloody sense in the context of the setting.
    How the hell does the card creator know who Eredin is? Or the Mysterious Elf? Or adult Ciri? Oh, too bad about Thaler I guess, because now every git knows his face and that he's a Northern Kingdoms spy.
    If I were to cut something from the game and dedicate the resources to something a little more useful (like the terrible UI), it would be Gwent.

Show Spoiler
    Also, is it me or are the Wild Hunt just Dark Eldar?

> Evil Elves
    >From another world
    > Uses portals
    > Uses necromancy
    > Takes slaves
    > Scary spiky armor
    > Complete knife-eared assholes

If Ciri found herself in a futuristic dimension, why didn't she nab herself a gun? If the Wild Hunt could follow her to such a dimension, why don't they have guns? As plot threads go, it sort of falls apart when you think about it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Funny that you mention PST coz that's also a p. mediocre RPG.

And it's also one of the best video games ever made due to the setting, writing and characters.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Danikas Arcane

Danikas

This is the first quest mod made for Witcher 3 that I have seen they even added some voice acting very good work considering lack of proper modding tools.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    So I beat the main quest line, and other than nice cinematic I got (Empress Ciri ending) I found the resolution rather underwhelming.
    It left a lot of questions and plot threads unanswered. Here's a list

Show Spoiler

- What happened to Yennefer? If you romance Triss the game just forgets about her, which is bloody weird considering how important she is to the story
    - Ditto for Avellach. No ending slide for him, the game just forgets
    - What happened to the last crone? Shouldn't there be a raid boss like quest after her as Geralt? Apparently you kill her in the bad ending, but having to make all of the wrong choices just to resolve a loose end is kind of bullshit
    - What happened to the Lodge? There was all of that talk about restoring it, and then nothing
    -What happened to Dandelion and Priscilla? Do they get hitched or what?
    -How did Ciri return from the White Frost? What did she even do to it?

For fucks sake, even Skyrim has a more comprehensive ending.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    nobody, including CDPR, cared about the main story of witcher 3.
    go play the DLCs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    I am playing it right now. Hearts of Stone is pretty neat so far.
    I like Gaunter o'Dim's theme. Me being a sucker for Mephistopheles type characters helps.
    Show Spoiler
    Also Shani is cute

• Yes Yes x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Hearts of Stone is top-tier, I'd rank it as one of my favorite RPGs as a standalone.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. xasanom Literate

xasanom
    Is Ciri’s adventure in the world of the future, as it was described and advertised in Witcher 3, was actually played off somehow in Cyberpunk? Cameo maybe? Or a poster at least?
    Never bothered to finish cyberpunk and I really don’t give a shit, but I’m still wondering.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Okagron Prophet

Okagron
    Show Spoiler

1 - Did you do The Last Wish? If you either ignored it or said you didn't loved her anymore, she decides to go her own way after the White Hunt is defeated. I believe it was to be an advisor to some king i'm forgetting.
    2 - Yeah, and i believe you can't even talk to him after the ending.
    3 - You can actually kill her in the bad ending to retrieve Vesemir's medallion. It's still odd that she's not mentioned in the Witcher and Empress endings tho.
    4 - I assume they are gonna do it, but it's just gonna take a while. Specially with everything that happened with Radovid and his witch hunts, they want to lay low for a little while.
    5 - It's expanded upon in Blood and Wine. Still not much though.
    6 - I guess she really wanted to live? That's what i assume happens because she remembers all the good moments she had with Geralt during the course of the game. But yeah, it's way too ambigous what she does to the White Frost.

And yes, Hearts of Stone, and i'll add Blood and Wine as well, are pretty fucking great.

^ Top  
  13. blessedCoffee Educated Patron

blessedCoffee
    Strap Yourselves In
    I never played Cyberpunk 2077, but I did saw a video where a player finds a magazine, showing a picture of Ciri. In that universe, Witcher III is a retro game.

^ Top  
  14. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    I actually did not do The Last Wish. I assumed that neglecting it would just count as a rejection, but does it actually unlock a slide for Yen if you reject her "officially"?

^ Top  
  15. ekrolo2 Learned

ekrolo2
    Whoever you don't romance just sort of fades away, they're not mentioned in the endings or even the DLCs for that matter. Ditto for Avallach who also just goes away (originally, he was gonna be the final boss which makes a lot of sense given his book history). The Lodge is doomed to die by the book canon anyway so them not getting more of a mention makes sense to me but you can tell after Kaer Morhen a lot of the cut content was replaced by nothing and haphazardly tied together with whatever they had finished.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Semiurge Arbiter

Semiurge
    With that much herb and fungi there was no excuse for not including Witcher 1's alchemy system. Automatically replenishing potions and ointments? WTF

It's just like CP77, so much useless clutter because CDPR cares more about cinematic experience than basic gameplay mechanics.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    My inventory is full of crafting ingredients, and its a bloody good thing that they are weightless (another change they made for casuals, right out of Beth's guide to resource management) I would be constantly over burdened.
    The fact that a single broken rake weighs more than a 100 iron ingots is pretty fucking stupid. Witcher 2 had a better crafting system, I think. They didn't flood you resources and they had weight so you actually had to manage it, and the crafting UI wasn't complete arse.

^ Top  
  18. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    I can see why people praise Hearts of Stone. The pacing and story structure is so much better than the main game's its not even funny.
    The party with the ghost was a lot of fun and you can tell they put a lot of effort into it, even going so far as to change Geralt's walk animation and give him a swagger. I'm starting the heist mission and the set up for it is pretty damn good.
    Also I bought the Professor's spectacles and they look baller.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Semiurge Arbiter

Semiurge
    Armor and weapon crafting was a step in the right direction at least. Practically any item that's not a quest item can be broken down to individual crafting/alchemy ingredients. The cost of doing so however might be just as high, if not higher, than simply buying them from blacksmiths.

^ Top  
  20. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    If only there was some, like, easy-to-install overhaul mod that fixed nearly all these problems

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ladonna Arcane

Ladonna
    I liked Witcher 1. Played Witcher 2 for a few hours, lost interest. Played Witcher 3 for a few hours, lost interest. The latter two were heavily streamlined and the controls sucked for keyboard and mouse, at least for me. It seemed like the latter games were made for a controller.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Harsh. But in the end, TW1 is the best among the three.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    hearts of stone > witcha 1 = b&w > the rest are whatever meh

also shani best girl

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Okagron Prophet

Okagron
    To be fair here, you do need alcohest (and i think dwarven spirit as well) to even replenish items in meditation, so it's not like there's no consequences for meditating to replenish. The problem here is that there so much alcohest in the game and it's so easy to craft.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    ^ Top  
  25. retinoid Learned

retinoid
    Could the Witcher 1 system work in Witcher 3 though? I haven't played W1 in ages and have no recollection of the scale of the alchemy system (how many formulas there are) but Witcher 3 is so vast that certainly it would make crafting potions with specific ingredients each and every time an absolute chore. If that's the case, I wouldn't want that. That being said, the alcohest system isn't ideal either and I do wish it was a bit more involved for subsequent replenishments.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.