Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I remember trying pirate version some time ago and low level witcher was getting his ass kicked by higher level wolves which makes no sense considering you are playing as Witcher... any mods that reworks this?

Christ, that's terrifying.

I always marvel at the closeups. Just how many hidden cameras do they need to get that kind of footage?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's the circle of life, and it moves us all.

Why tho, you haven't seen wolves hunting on documentaries before?

Nah, not a big "nature telly" watcher. I was when I was a kid so I guess I must have at some point, but filming techniques weren't nearly as developed in those days.

Having said that, I recently enjoyed that Octopus documentary ("My Teacher the Octopus" or whatever it's called - quite remarkable).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember trying pirate version some time ago and low level witcher was getting his ass kicked by higher level wolves which makes no sense considering you are playing as Witcher... any mods that reworks this?

I always marvel at the closeups. Just how many hidden cameras do they need to get that kind of footage?

Must be some heavy duty zoom

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Must be some heavy duty zoom

No wai. The angle is all wrong.

low level witcher was getting his ass kicked by higher level wolves

There's no reason wolves shouldn't be a force that can take down witchers, I take it you've never seen an actual wolf. It makes sense feeble enemies become powerful in greater numbers.
A single high level wolf from the blood&wine expansion would eat the whole Wild Hunt. There are plenty of mods that fix the game's backwards level system.

Unfortunately you can't reduce the spawns on the map as far as I know.
You can find mods that reduce wolf spawns on the map too.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
A single high level wolf from the blood&wine expansion would eat the whole Wild Hunt. There are plenty of mods that fix the game's backwards level system.

HP spongy enemies are ridiculous but enemies like wolves and dogs should be like glass cannons - they can't survive many succesful hits but can hurt you bad if you're wearing light armor or no armor at all. I'm assuming that Witcher 3 doesn't incorporate any blunt vs slash damage modifiers in a meaningful way. If those were implemented realistically then full plate armor would guarantee near invincibility against smaller foes like wolves that only do slash damage.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

HP spongy enemies are ridiculous but enemies like wolves and dogs should be like glass cannons - they can't survive many succesful hits but can hurt you bad if you're wearing light armor or no armor at all. I'm assuming that Witcher 3 doesn't incorporate any blunt vs slash damage modifiers in a meaningful way. If those were implemented realistically then full plate armor would guarantee near invincibility against smaller foes like wolves that only do slash damage.

Eh? Wouldn't wolves (or anything that uses powerful jaws and teeth) be classified mainly as piercing damage?

Danikas

Arcane
Eh? Wouldn't wolves (or anything that uses powerful jaws and teeth) be classified mainly as piercing damage?

Nope.

main-qimg-26e534c7c652569d127b156a0cc0c05a

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Been playing Witcher 3 recently.
Its a pretty game and I like the dialogue, but the actual gameplay isn't great.
It feels really by the numbers; they stripped out everything interesting about the Alchemy mechanic and turned it into something brainless. You don't actually need potions for combat as you can just spam quen and dodge as long as your level is around the same as the enemy's (otherwise you get one shot, which potions won't help with anyway because they are pretty weak and short lived). You don't even need to make potions because all you have to do is make it once and it automatically replenishes when you meditate. Collecting ingredients is just pointless for that reason.
You know something is wrong when you can take a skill that increases health regen from food to 20 minutes instead of taking Swallow and its more efficient.

The overall flow of the quest line is pretty awkward with Act I taking ages and requiring relatively high levels but later Acts are rather short and don't have that much of a level requirement, and the inventory / crafting UI is absolute crap.
I can't help thinking that the first witcher game felt better to play and Witcher 2 had a more coherent structure, even though that had it's own share of nonsense (like QTEs).

Its not a bad game per se, but its not as great as everyone (well, game journos and those outside of the Codex, anyway) makes it out to be.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Its not a bad game per se, but its not as great as everyone (well, game journos and those outside of the Codex, anyway) makes it out to be.

It's a p. bad RPG but it's one of the most memorable video games ever due to the Nobel Prize grade soundtrack, writing and Sapkowski's world.

Yeah a RPG it's pretty crap, but that's sort of to be expected nowadays.
When people say RPG they really mean action-adventure game with level scaling and loot. They don't mean Fallout 2 or Planescape Torment, which have their roots in Pen and Paper role playing games.

Also, I really don't like how Gwent replaced Dice Poker.
Gwent feels like it requires even less skill as all you need are good cards in your deck, the game basically shoves it in your face several times and it doesn't even make any bloody sense in the context of the setting.
How the hell does the card creator know who Eredin is? Or the Mysterious Elf? Or adult Ciri? Oh, too bad about Thaler I guess, because now every git knows his face and that he's a Northern Kingdoms spy.
If I were to cut something from the game and dedicate the resources to something a little more useful (like the terrible UI), it would be Gwent.

Also, is it me or are the Wild Hunt just Dark Eldar?

> Evil Elves
>From another world
> Uses portals
> Uses necromancy
> Takes slaves
> Scary spiky armor
> Complete knife-eared assholes

If Ciri found herself in a futuristic dimension, why didn't she nab herself a gun? If the Wild Hunt could follow her to such a dimension, why don't they have guns? As plot threads go, it sort of falls apart when you think about it.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When people say RPG they really mean action-adventure game with level scaling and loot. They don't mean Fallout 2 or Planescape Torment, which have their roots in Pen and Paper role playing games..
Funny that you mention PST coz that's also a p. mediocre RPG.

And it's also one of the best video games ever made due to the setting, writing and characters.

Danikas

Arcane

This is the first quest mod made for Witcher 3 that I have seen they even added some voice acting very good work considering lack of proper modding tools.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I beat the main quest line, and other than nice cinematic I got (Empress Ciri ending) I found the resolution rather underwhelming.
It left a lot of questions and plot threads unanswered. Here's a list

- What happened to Yennefer? If you romance Triss the game just forgets about her, which is bloody weird considering how important she is to the story
- Ditto for Avellach. No ending slide for him, the game just forgets
- What happened to the last crone? Shouldn't there be a raid boss like quest after her as Geralt? Apparently you kill her in the bad ending, but having to make all of the wrong choices just to resolve a loose end is kind of bullshit
- What happened to the Lodge? There was all of that talk about restoring it, and then nothing
-What happened to Dandelion and Priscilla? Do they get hitched or what?
-How did Ciri return from the White Frost? What did she even do to it?

For fucks sake, even Skyrim has a more comprehensive ending.

Codex Year of the Donut
So I beat the main quest line, and other than nice cinematic I got (Empress Ciri ending) I found the resolution rather underwhelming.
It left a lot of questions and plot threads unanswered. Here's a list

- What happened to Yennefer? If you romance Triss the game just forgets about her, which is bloody weird considering how important she is to the story
- Ditto for Avellach. No ending slide for him, the game just forgets
- What happened to the last crone? Shouldn't there be a raid boss like quest after her as Geralt? Apparently you kill her in the bad ending, but having to make all of the wrong choices just to resolve a loose end is kind of bullshit
- What happened to the Lodge? There was all of that talk about restoring it, and then nothing
-What happened to Dandelion and Priscilla? Do they get hitched or what?
-How did Ciri return from the White Frost? What did she even do to it?

For fucks sake, even Skyrim has a more comprehensive ending.
nobody, including CDPR, cared about the main story of witcher 3.
go play the DLCs

xasanom

Novice
Is Ciri’s adventure in the world of the future, as it was described and advertised in Witcher 3, was actually played off somehow in Cyberpunk? Cameo maybe? Or a poster at least?
Never bothered to finish cyberpunk and I really don’t give a shit, but I’m still wondering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom