Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Codex Year of the Donut
T8dLAQf.png

I just want to know how the hell Asia outsold North America.
s.png

MapMan

Arcane
Anyone tried any of the combat overhaul mods? I think theres w3 redux and w3 enhanced edition. Can anyone comment/recommend anything in this regard? I'm late to the party and am doing my first playthrough. I already finished base game + hearts of stone, am at pretty much the start of blood and wine. Since that expansion is rather lenghty I'm looking to potentially improve the mechanics and combat. At this point I already tried 2 different builds and am facerolling everything. DISCUSS.

Danikas

Arcane
Anyone tried any of the combat overhaul mods? I think theres w3 redux and w3 enhanced edition. Can anyone comment/recommend anything in this regard? I'm late to the party and am doing my first playthrough. I already finished base game + hearts of stone, am at pretty much the start of blood and wine. Since that expansion is rather lenghty I'm looking to potentially improve the mechanics and combat. At this point I already tried 2 different builds and am facerolling everything. DISCUSS.
You need a new playthrough anyway for them to work.

MapMan

Arcane
You need a new playthrough anyway for them to work.
I see. Would it work if I did a new playthrough but starting from Blood and Wine?

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

I played enough of enhanced edition to tell you that the combat and supporting systems (potion brewing, signs etc) are massively improved. The introduction of mandatory manual aiming with the sword alone completely changes the game. The mod is not perfect, largely because some monsters have bullshit hitboxes and animations (mostly large monsters like bears and griffins and shit. With these enemies, pretty much just give up on any kind of "reactive" maneuvering, you have to preemptively do everything because their bullshit will get you every time) despite what the retarded romanian mod author and his little gaggle of sycophants claim, but its a damn sight better the vanilla combat that was for the birds. With the tougher fights it actually becomes necessary to LARP like a witcher and prepare for the fights instead of just charging into the cutscene and then getting ready to alternately smash mouse 1 and dodge, IOW, it effectively introduces "get gud" to the game.

Regarding the mods effects on everything else, i cannot say. Lots of people in here have said it ruins the itemization by making everything only have minimal differences, i didnt play far enough to notice, but i wouldnt be surprised.

As for starting from blood and wine yes it should work as that is still a "new game" function.

Gerrard

Arcane
zMsSbZf.png

T8dLAQf.png

Total of copies sold:

TW3 sales in units

2015: ~9.471.830
2016: ~4.190.140
2017: ~4.401.408
2018: ~3.591.549
2019: ~6.619.718

Total: ~28.274.645

Bitcher 3 reaches Skyrim numbers.
Europe and Asia both higher percentage of sales and they will still pander to the ameritards.
Fuck this cucked company.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How do they pamder to 'ameritards'?
I think he means the SJWing up of Cyberpunk but then euro is more full of SJW/commies in that regard as well so yeah not really clear.

On the other hand, we sure have more tolerance for naked tits and asses, unlike the American prudes :) that's why Witcher games happened on this side of the pond.

Codex Year of the Donut
How do they pamder to 'ameritards'?
I think he means the SJWing up of Cyberpunk but then euro is more full of SJW/commies in that regard as well so yeah not really clear.

On the other hand, we sure have more tolerance for naked tits and asses, unlike the American prudes :) that's why Witcher games happened on this side of the pond.
The first Witcher actually had the sex cards censored for some reason in the NA release, they were uncensored in the enhanced edition. Don't think they ever bothered giving a reason as to why they were censored to begin with.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

America's fear of nipples and love of blood is really crazy at times. You can see people randomly disemboweled on cable TV at 7:00pm on a Wednesday, but Janet Jackson accidentally shows a nipple briefly and the whole country goes apeshit.

Semiurge

Cipher

America's fear of nipples and love of blood is really crazy at times. You can see people randomly disemboweled on cable TV at 7:00pm on a Wednesday, but Janet Jackson accidentally shows a nipple briefly and the whole country goes apeshit.

Eros has traditionally been scarier than Thanatos. Reproduction is a basic need, murder is not. Such a powerful need it is that it can sap your free will and take over your body at puberty, in addition to the extreme neural stimulation. This is frightening to a "civilized" human being who likes to be in control of himself.
Losing control turns people into beasts, so you can see why this has always been a problem, especially in cultures influenced by the three Abrahamic religions.

Last edited:

Silly Germans

Eros has traditionally been scarier than Thanatos. Reproduction is a basic need, murder is not. Such a powerful need it is that it can sap your free will and take over your body at puberty, in addition to the extreme neural stimulation. This is frightening to a "civilized" human being who likes to be in control of himself.
Losing control turns people into beasts, so you can see why this has always been a problem, especially in cultures influenced by the three Abrahamic religions.

Isn't a powerful inevitable need kept in check by regularly satisfying it ? Doesn't deprivation invite much more catastrophic loss of control ?

Semiurge

Cipher
Doesn't deprivation invite much more catastrophic loss of control ?

Yes. I suppose basic needs shouldn't be universally vilified even if the fringe individuals manifest them in ways that are disruptive to the very fabric of society. Some conservative cultures seem off-balance in regard to sex, but then some people believe that tolerance for the baser needs is the cause and symptom of cultural decay. I'm going to pick the easy answer and say that the right balance is needed since there clearly are many things to consider beyond what anyone happens to want at any given time. The universal constant "brighter burners burn out faster" seems to apply to many things, like how lab rats live longer and healthier if they are only given enough food so they won't starve.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Doesn't deprivation invite much more catastrophic loss of control ?

Yes. I suppose basic needs shouldn't be universally vilified even if the fringe individuals manifest them in ways that are disruptive to the very fabric of society. Some conservative cultures seem off-balance in regard to sex, but then some people believe that tolerance for the baser needs is the cause and symptom of cultural decay. I'm going to pick the easy answer and say that the right balance is needed since there clearly are many things to consider beyond what anyone happens to want at any given time. The universal constant "brighter burners burn out faster" seems to apply to many things, like how lab rats live longer and healthier if they are only given enough food so they won't starve.

The need you spoke of was reproduction. The need they're speaking of is draining blue balls.

The biological illiteracy involved in conflating the two has nothing to do with Abrahamic religions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom