Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite Kickstart Turn-based Oldschool CRPG

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
And keep in mind, even though social games and phone games are cancerous, they probably have spurred the creation of decent development tools that could shave millions and many many months off the development time of an old school RPG.

Wizfall

Cipher
Since the successful funding of W2 i was dreaming about a Sir-Tech kickstart campaign (but did not expected one at all), Wizardry 8 being in my top 3 RPG game and Jag 2 my number 1 tactical RPG game.
I would have been ready to give a lot for one of those.
But this pitch...horrible from the beginning to the end.
You know they have just have to say" we are going to make a W8 or JA2 spiritual sequel", that would have been enough.
W2 and Shadowrun Returns showed one thing : no need to scatter to a wider audience (maybe unless you want way more than 2/3 millions but it's a dangerous bet then...).
I'm really disgusted while i should have been ecstatic.
What a shame.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus christ. I think we need an official RPG Codex Kickstarter Ban for at least a month or two. Shit's really getting old.

It's so ridiculous that it will probably work. It will almost certainly get to the goal, if not reach the 2 games in 1 stretch goal (how mindless is that?) Can you imagine such a ludicrous pitch with John Romero being involved in it (who was clearly left off the main list to avoid his past coming forward) and it actually turning out as something quite interesting and playable?

Kickstarter is already turning the game industry inside out with the number of old school designers getting involved, you may as well just pledge the $15 purely for the historical significance. You'll probably get some kind of software code, maybe not an actual game.

One thing you might consider is that they probably have such a small amount of experience working on RPGs in recent times that their ideas of RPGs are probably still stuck firmly in the 90s. Maybe they haven't been tainted like all the real RPG developers around today. Frozen in time perhaps. Something to consider.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Codex RPG: Prepare to Rage Edition.

Found: Sword of Damocles

Pick up: Sword of Damocles

Use: Sword of Damocles

That does nothing.

Drop: Sword of Damocles

Use: Door

That does nothing.

Use: Window

That does nothing.

Found: Wine

Pick up: Wine

Drink: Wine

That does nothing.

:rage:

Mortmal

Arcane
Launching a kickstarter while theres a competiting project is not such a bad idea as it target a niche of gamers without cash problems , plenty of time on our hands and not any games to play.Else why would we be wasting time posting here on the codex ?
However even if the sum is ridiculous, i am not throwing money through the window like this . Where's the info about the game ? Anyone could write that and make a video with friends, some in front of computers to show how awesome and professionnal your team is .No in game footage, no concept art , no idea how it will play at all, isometric ? blobber? dungeon master like ? 3D camera over shoulder with gay romance ? Old school yeah.. that means nothing at all , for today's gamers oblivion is oldschool too .
Could say there wasnt much info on project eternity but we know more or less what expect from obsidian , at best a BG3 , at worse low budget dragon age . I dont know anything about those guys except they have some old rpg boxes(and doom?!) behind them , means they may knows what that rpg thing is , but thats about it .

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It's already more interesting than PE, it's an OLDSCHOOL AR PEE GEE !!1 after all, not just a Dragon Age Baldur's Gate clone.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'm backing this just because I want to see what the hell it turns into. It's simply hilarious. Could become something like the Frankenstein's Monster of video games. And we can't rule out it'll be a fun dungeon crawler.

Stabwound

Arcane
This should serve as an example of what not to do with a kickstarter; it's is like Hardcore Tactical Plagiarizer #2. It looks so disingenuous when you throw up such a vague kickstarter for $1,000,000. Come on, even giving it a temporary/codename is better than calling it "Videogame That Will Appeal To You". That and putting it up alongside Project Eternity. Fuck, these people are clueless.

The description of the game could apply to literally 99% of RPGs out there. Gain experience points, explore a world and talk to NPCs! Also, equip your characters with various weapons that you find or buy! Don't forget that there is also a combat system!

catfood

AGAIN
q0cIe.jpg

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Wizardry was an RPG with good mechanics but a shitty story.
Anachronox was an RPG with shitty mechanics but a good story.
So if Wizardry and Anachronox are to have a baby, it sure will be an RPG with good mechanics and a good story, right? Right? RIGHT?

That being said, I'd surely prefer a Commander Keen kickstarter.

kaizoku

Arcane
Saving grace of Anachronox is great writing, that almost makes up for terrible gameplay and overall design.
Anachronox Credits say - Screenwriter: Richard Zangrande Gaubert not Tom Hall.

I've found this whole pitch insulting, I had hard time watching it to the end. Also, it seems they're all mac fags.
:keepmyjewgold:

Not so sure about that...

I think he wrote it himself.
That could just mean Richard Zangrande Gaubert grabbed Tom's work and adapted it to the game.

fake edit:
http://tomtomtom.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/a-fan-of-anachronoxs-cutscenes/ (yeah a shitty blog)
Richard Gaubert, the director and writer of Anachronox’s great cutscenes,

http://www.machinima.org/news-archives-02.html
Best Writing
Winner: Richard Gaubert - "Anachronox: The Movie"
Nanoflix - "Rendezvous"
Ike Sainoi - "Under a Fallen Sun: Prelude"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_268/8027-The-Best-Planet-Companion
Writer Richard Gaubert's skill with the digital pen ensured that this splendid sci-fi RPG was both well-written and genuinely funny.

"If I don't do the game in the next 10 years, I'll just write up the rest of the story and put it on my website for closure, how about that?" Closure is one thing, but there's a part of me that dearly hopes he'll eventually reunite with Richard Gaubert and the rest of the team to give the game a proper send-off. In Hall's own words, Anachronox was "made for the love of it," and that's not a feeling you can simply let go.

This would in fact be a good question for KS: hey Tom, I loved Anachronox... Was it you or Richard that wrote it? Will he be on the project?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Has anyone else spotted MOBILE SUPPORT stretch goal at 2.1 million?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom