Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Lhynn

Arcane
These days if you want a PC exclusive RPG with a budget of at least a few million, you have to stick with Obsidian and rtwp. :smug:
While i agree with the previous statement, this one is wrong.

Why it is always that? For variety reason, for example you could say "rapist mother".

The known rates for rapist mothers are so neglibly low, they are not even included with statistics for domestic rape / incest. Fathers, on the hand... Mothers are more likely to be complicit/enablers than be perpetrators. Rapist women in a family are more likely to be a second or third degree female relative of a victim than the mother.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why it is always that? For variety reason, for example you could say "rapist mother".

The known rates for rapist mothers are so neglibly low, they are not even included with statistics for domestic rape / incest. Fathers, on the hand... Mothers are more likely to be complicit/enablers than be perpetrators. Rapist women in a family are more likely to be a second or third degree female relative of a victim than the mother.
You seem to know quite a lot about rapist psychology :hmmm:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
There should no fuss about console release. It's better deal for them to make more money coming to all platforms for producing better games.
Look at Larian. Nobody is complaining about DoS 2 coming to consoles.
I think Inxile should just change the marketing appearance with a lighter tone similar to Swen Vincke's.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
We haven't heard anything at all about the prospective D:OS2 console version, and unlike InXile, Larian could afford to announce it without much backlash. More likely than not, they're not very satisfied with their console experiment

Heh, okay, I'll remember you said that. There's going to be a big Divinity: Original Sin 2 announcement this week, btw, so I might not need to remember it for long.

I assume you're not talking about today's KS update? If not, it would be weird to announce something major about the game without mentioning it in the update (and equally weird to do another update just for announcement).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We haven't heard anything at all about the prospective D:OS2 console version, and unlike InXile, Larian could afford to announce it without much backlash. More likely than not, they're not very satisfied with their console experiment

Heh, okay, I'll remember you said that. There's going to be a big Divinity: Original Sin 2 announcement this week, btw, so I might not need to remember it for long.

I assume you're not talking about today's KS update? If not, it would be weird to announce something major about the game without mentioning it in the update (and equally weird to do another update just for announcement).

Yes, they didn't end up announcing console compatibility or lack thereof in this update. Maybe later.

Fairfax

Arcane
There should no fuss about console release. It's better deal for them to make more money coming to all platforms for producing better games.
Look at Larian. Nobody is complaining about DoS 2 coming to consoles.
I think Inxile should just change the marketing appearance with a lighter tone similar to Swen Vincke's.
:deathclaw:

• First of all, Larian had already delivered a good game on PC when they started working on the console versions/enhanced edition.
  • TTON's console and PC versions are being released simultaneously.
  • TTON's website still calls it a CRPG, Divinity's doesn't.
  • The delay was announced in June, same day the "Techland partnership" was announced. A month later the console versions are announced. They can say the game's not being delayed for it, but I don't believe for a second that it's a coincidence.
  • Larian used the game's profits to make the enhanced edition. The KS money was not used for other purposes, something that's pretty murky with TTON.
  • TTON's development only started in late 2014, ~18 months after the KS campaign, because part of the team was working on the WL2 console ports. [This bullshit is often overlooked here]
  • Instead of making a deal with a pubisher, Larian funded the rest of the game out of their own pocket.
  • Fargo, despite trashing publishers and promising a self-published game, turned to Techland more than 3 years after the KS campaign.
  • D:OS was released 7 months after the initial release estimate. TTON will be 25-27 months late. We'll get D:OS's sequel before TTON.

And there's no way to spin this:

Fargo's relationship with EA goes back to 1985, when he made the original Bard's Tale for the then fledgling publisher. 28 years on, he's still making innovative games for the PC market; but does he have any plans to bring his latest games to current or next-generation consoles? After all, Torment won't release until 2015. "It’s certainly possible and technically feasible," he says. "However, we’ve gone to the crowd and they’ve given us money for a very specific purpose, which is to put our games on the PC, Mac and Linux. So that’s where we’re expending 100% of our efforts. We don’t spend any of our time wondering whether it can or can’t be done on consoles, because that isn’t our charter. Our charter is to deliver these first versions".

It was a lie, simple as that.

Of course, you won't see any of this pointed out by the Codex staff, who clearly don't want to lose review copies and interviews. You can see them praising, saying there's no reason to worry and talking about unrelated stuff in this very thread.
The rest is predictable:

1. Codex will tweet everything about the game leading up to its release, no matter how relevant.
  2. Codex Steam curator will immediately recommend the game regardless of what people are saying about it.
  3. Codex review will be very positive.
  4. No review with major criticism will be published until at least a month after the first.
  5. Traffic spikes, lots of salt in the comments.

Last edited:
D:OS was released 7 months after the initial release estimate. TTON will be 25-27 months late. We'll get D:OS's sequel before TTON.
But you know that after funding the stretch goals, the game was delayed several months, so those extra game features can be produced? Kickstarter does not have an option to change estimated delivery date, so the date you see on ks page is a date for the game without stretch goals, if it only got 900 k $.

Fairfax

Arcane
D:OS was released 7 months after the initial release estimate. TTON will be 25-27 months late. We'll get D:OS's sequel before TTON.
But you know that after funding the stretch goals, the game was delayed several months, so those extra game features can be produced? Kickstarter does not have an option to change estimated delivery date, so the date you see on ks page is a date for the game without stretch goals, if it only got 900 k $.
The same applies to D:OS, which also reached a bunch of stretch goals.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I don't blame anyone who backed this to be angry one bit after learning of this console crap, if i did i'd be fucking furious.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

explodingjuice.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The only usefulness of the trolley dilemma is to show the difference between consequentialist and deontological approaches to ethics.

Not really. If you are a moral particularist you will still have your own moral intuitions about the case and you will still refuse the usual alternatives (consequentialism, deontologism, etc.). Besides, if the objective of the dilemma is to choose between consequentialist and deontological approaches, then deontological theories lose. Unlike consequentialist theories, they can’t provide one single decision in moral dilemmas. A moral theory that leaves you alone when you need the most is not worthy it.

I think the trolley problem is too formal and abstract.

Mental experiments are philosophical toys designed to make us reflect about our pre-theoretical (and theoretical) beliefs. They can represent the reality in the relevant aspects while keeping the irrelevant complications out.

I don't think that it's possible to find right answer without getting into a real situation. Because in a real situation there will be a shitload of morally relevant facts which may change my attitude completely.

On the contrary, in a real situation you are much more prone to mistakes since you don’t have the time or disposition to reflect carefully about your decision, understand what are the morally relevant facts, etc. Moreover, some of the moral dilemmas debated on the literature are inspired by real events – see the “miners are trapped” example I used.

In any case, I think, maybe we (you) should continue this discussion about the handbook thought experiments in applied ethics in some more apropriate place, i.e. (((Retardo Land))).

I agree.

Lhynn

Arcane
What's wrong about it?
I thought fools theory was making a pc Exclusive stealh based RPG with a budget of over a million.
If that isnt the case then im an uninformed retard tho.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What's wrong about it?
I thought fools theory was making a pc Exclusive stealh based RPG with a budget of over a million.
If that isnt the case then im an uninformed retard tho.

There's no need for insults, a quote will suffice:

Finally, one crucial question remains: when will we be able to play the full version of Seven: The Days Long Gone? Unfortunately, the authors were unable to give me a solid release date. According to the original plan, only the PC version of the game was to be released, but IMGN.PRO is considering a simultaneous release of a console version on at least one other popular platform.

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=664

Also, the definition of "RPG" seems to be somewhat stretched in Seven's case, at least from looking at the gameplay footage:

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, character development, open world and C&C are in, thats more than whatever gets named an rpg around here. And yeah i read that quote, but well see if they go multiplatform or stick to pc.

Was actually disappointed that after a bit of research i found other games that i thought were going to be PC exclusive ended up going multi platform, and i grew increasingly annoyed.

My only hope is with heluo studios, but im not sure they are making a game with a million dollar budget now, tale of wuxia was around 500k and the prequel looks like it may be around that number as well.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They can barely be called RPGs either, but the Guild games are traditionally PC exclusive, in part because of their lovably clusterfucky interface.

It's hard to imagine how anybody could do a console port of that series without stripping out 80% of the features or taking a "quintuple nested radial menus" approach.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
dfgffg.png

It would be nice if the game would support selecting that attack damage bonus via keyboard shortcuts also (1 2 3 etc. keys or any other keys). Selecting it with mouse only becomes tedious after some time.
Keyboard shortcuts support for everything in fact.
It doesn't matter if we'll be able to rebind those keys or not but keyboard shortcuts is a must in my opinion.

That's what I was hoping for on June 12 after the brief time I dabbled with the TTON beta.
Will I still get this? :)

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
there isn't objective proof the game is being dumb down for the consoles.

And there's no evidence whatsoever of any dumbing-down going on, either. That's it, those are the facts.

Four party members, heath bars that broke the combat system, shitty UI and handholding for retards.

We live on a kickstarter cynism overload era for a series of reasons and in great part for InXile, people didn't forget the Ubisoft style marketing Fargo was doing for Wasteland 2. If Wasteland 2 were a good quality RPG, Fargo's reputation wouldn't leave his company open to questioning like this.

They didn’t deliver a good cRPG because they were incompetent, but the “let’s revive what cRPGs are about without publishers influence” was much worse than this, because it is completely dishonest and shows that their priorities lies elsewhere. Not only they were not focusing all their energies on the PC version as their promised, but they are also treating the Torment revival as something that is completely banal. What I find baffling is how much InXile and other Kickstarter projects (SR, PoE, etc.) are desensitizing codexers. We are talking about the release of the spiritual successor of Torment on PS4 and posters here treating this as completely normal. Am I the only one seeing how wrong this is?

Giving someone money doesn't give you a license to accuse them of scams, fraud and theft, based on absolutely nothing other than your own hallucinations.

They promised that they will invest all their energy on a PC game, they didn’t. They got funded using a pitch in which they ridicule a traditional publisher that doesn’t get what traditional cRPGs are about, and now they are making deals with the same publishers to release the game on consoles. They are using the Torment revival to cater to causals in a shameless manner. This is as dishonest as it gets.

I understand that a million isn't quite what it used to be but we're talking about spending $5m in four years and most of that time the game wasn't even in full production - by inXile's own admission. So, unless they spent backers' money on something entirely unrelated to TToN - which is a fraud anyway because nobody gave that right - I really don't see how your math works.

You have to consider that we are talking about a team of handpicked veterans using better technology and with no pressure from publishers. They should be making better cRPGs even with they have less money.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lurker shit has a point here, gameplay got compromised from day 1 and the backers were lied to by fargo.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Deontologists don't care about outcome
Wrong. "Deontologists" (I don't actually understan who it is but anyway) actually can see further away to which consequences lead the way of acting like "Consequentialists".
And "Consequentialists" are those who use mechanistic type of thinking, which indicates an incomplete understanding (or complete misunderstanding) and/or alienness of moral laws for them. The same as someone mechanically repeat actions of someone without understanding what those actions for, so "Consequentialists" actually don't have inner instinctive feeling and understanding about moral law and they just mechanicall grind/cram/sap/swot those rules, and use it mechnically as formula which is never the case if moral law that isn't alien for you.
So they think like that - this is fat guy. Fats are ugly - minus, they tend to live short anyway - minus, he is only one person, while they are three kids - plus for kids, minus for fat guy, this would be quite spectacular show if he collades with Trolley - plus, I'll be a hero if I save them - plus, I might check my level of anathomy skill - plus, etc.
"Deontologists" instantly understand that this way of thinking is just a marker for those who already lost moral beacon, all close to it, and that this is dehumanisation in process itself and the final point is so much worse that it hard to imagine that. (I actually wrote about how I see future in thread about No Truce with the Furies but it was delete sadly).

I don't think that it's possible to find right answer without getting into a real situation. Because in a real situation there will be a shitload of morally relevant facts which may change my attitude completely.
True, but that was from start an abstract ethical exersise, like in physics, where stated "other factors can be neglected".

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
About the four party members, Tyranny is PC exclusive and is massive dumb down too, guess never doubt western developers willingness to shill out for casuals even without the console peasants help.:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom