Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This has to be one of the dumbest discussions in the thread.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I don't know, there seems to be a lot of issues, from denuvo stealing 20% performance (reviewers were given a non-denuvo version), to the UI being red on red.

Some of it is probably legit, while other have played too much Immortal Empires to forget how campaigns work.

Denuvo definitely impacts performance, especially in a game as CPU heavy as Warhammer. However it shouldn't impact more than a couple FPS at most. What's happening is CA completely fucked up particle effects, volumetric fog and lighting effects, higher fidelity particle and shadow effects completely tank FPS. Especially when close to composite effects like steam coming off water or ice reflecting lighting. People have game running entirely fine at 60 fps with battles, until they move next an empty pond on the battle with some fog over it and it drops down to 20 fps and starts stuttering.

Nathir

Liturgist
I just wish Kislevites didn't look so retarded. Their armor look impractical. Their proportions look off. Their hairstyles are terrible. And the worst thing is they have shiny icy bits everywhere. Even actually cool looking units like Boris or the leopard have them. They should've hired me to design Kislev.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Cathay can't even have musketmen as Ming did in reality, they have to have these bizarre exotic weird long guns only.
OIP.OBQdMwvn5jkfpTCxzmq7UgHaEF

FreeKaner

They did have long guns, but they also just had normal musketmen. Issue again is not that there is abnormal stuff, it is that there is no normal basis.

Ming_musketeers.jpg

I am not against addition of fantasy stuff. I fucking love demigryphs knights of Empire. I am against there existing no fundamental basis to anchor the aesthetic in. Cathay is definitely not bad though I like them overall.

Well, everyone agrees that the game should have not been released in this state, has bugs up the ass and unfinished Issues that date back to Empire, so there is little room for discussion there. The Mass-entity issues are actually enough from keeping me playing the game atm.

Sieges seem fine to me, both walled and unwalled. The AI isn't great but I haven't seen it completely shit the best. The problem is that there are too many and next to no field battles now. Also autoresolve is disgustingly favoring the AI.

FreeKaner

Autoresolving should favor the AI honestly, it incentives actually doing battles instead of auto-resolving even battles. I only really use it when the battle is extremely onesided where it would be a hassle to either win or lose. Still I even fought some lost cause battles if it would be relevant I would do more damage personally.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Autoresolving should favor the AI honestly, it incentives actually doing battles instead of auto-resolving even battles. I only really use it when the battle is extremely onesided where it would be a hassle to either win or lose. Still I even fought some lost cause battles if it would be relevant I would do more damage personally.

The autoresolve was extremely well tuned in 3K, giving the player a tough choice between the effort to do a battle by hand or leaving it to the RNG and suffering more losses. Then again 3K was easier to balance so I understand why it isn't particularly balanced for WH3 right now.

FreeKaner is peak quality poster. :love:

He is, but this reeeeeing about bad representation is futile.

Bruh, defend this shit:

fzbTLyS.jpg

This is a DEFENSIVE siege for me. I have TOWERS that will murder rape this puny AI attack before it even gets to my army. This lord is a spell caster that can delete every khorne warrior in a single spell. Even games journalists would struggle to lose this battle.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Bruh, defend this shit:

fzbTLyS.jpg

This is a DEFENSIVE siege for me. I have TOWERS that will murder rape this puny AI attack before it even gets to my army. Even games journalists would struggle to lose this battle.

Yeah it is buggy. I saw someone using Slaneesh's seduce (puts enemy units to your army for duration of battle) and it actually making him lose more units in auto-resolve. As mentioned above by Fedora Master 3K had a good balance of this but by principle it should give the AI an advantage by default.

Some units are considered extremely highly in auto-resolve, highly armored infantry and especially highly armored ranged infantry seem to weigh extremely heavily. So dwarf quarrelers or Cathay archers can basically turn what should be an easy win in battlefield to crushing defeat in auto-resolve.

Sloul

Savant
You don't need to install all three, just install the last entry that you possess.
You just need to own the games / dlc's on steam.
Would having the latest game unlock the entire world wap? From what I read it seems it has data for all of the games' factions, but only a few of them are playable unless you own the previous games, right?
For Mortal Empire, you had to own both WH1 and WH2 to access it.
You'll not be able to play Immortal Empire with only WH3, I don't know if you need to own all games or just one more, but certainly, on its own WH3 will probably not let you access IE.

I agree that autoresolve should force you to fight even battles and generally give a bit more casualties than what a player could achieve, but that was how it was in WH2 (and three kingdoms). Autoresolve was almost perfect, it's clear that they fucked with it to make it way worse for the player in WH3. They've done this before, someone at CA has decided that if players aren't fighting most battles that the game isn't fun and so players should be forced to fight most battles. Then everyone complains and a few years later it's re-balanced to what we had in WH2/TK. It's a constant cycle of screwing up the game and then fixing it.

You don't need to install all three, just install the last entry that you possess.
Would having the latest game unlock the entire world wap? From what I read it seems it has data for all of the games' factions, but only a few of them are playable unless you own the previous games, right?
You'll not be able to play Immortal Empire with only WH3, I don't know if you need to own all games or just one more, but certainly, on its own WH3 will probably not let you access IE.

Pretty sure you will need both WH2 and WH1 to get mortal empires in WH3 because I get a message informing me that I don't own WH1 and won't unlock mortal empires

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've given up on interesting map-painting sessions campaigns a long time ago. Now 80% of my playtime is custom battles.

I honestly wish they'd give us a mode where we can control both side of combat, because the Battle AI, if anything, has gotten worse since Rome I.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know, there seems to be a lot of issues, from denuvo stealing 20% performance (reviewers were given a non-denuvo version), to the UI being red on red.
you sure about that? I heard that streamers had denuvo on their preview copies too (not that it impacted much the performance on their elite gamer super computers)

from CA's faq, you need all three games (from the same store) to get access to the combined map

WILL THERE BE A COMBINED MAP FOR OWNERS OF ALL THREE GAMES?

Yes, though currently our focus is on Total War: WARHAMMER III.

We will release a massive combined map that will be a huge free DLC for owners of all three games, and we’ll have more detail later.

Note that you will need to own all three parts of the trilogy through a single store front in order to claim this free DLC. Please see above for details.

For all the bad stuff that the SP campaign and AI has, the MP campaign stuff is absolutely top notch and great fun. Makes everything so much more meaningful and varied than custom battles. Highly recommended if you can find 2-4 friends to play with.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Unlike normal forts, the Great Bastion provinces don't provide shit for anyone but Cathay, making conquering them pretty much worthless. Fantastic.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Autoresolving should favor the AI honestly, it incentives actually doing battles instead of auto-resolving even battles
Yes, because it is so fun and not a total waste of time to play battles that I can win trivially and end with more hp than I began with.
It makes sense that the autoresolve is slightly penalized, you want to encourage people getting good. But in the actual game it is frequently on the level of "autoresolve: total defeat. Actual battle: 0 casualties". Which is insane. And a waste of time since I'll be forced to spend the end turn in the city where I replenish 50% of my army every turn anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom