Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi - new Exp. Inc dungeon RPG

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Tried first post game area, boss was identical to that area's boss (little bit more dmg/hp maybe). Im done with this game for now.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Still bought it because I want to support dungeon crawlers, but I can understand people waiting for discounts or other options.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Will buy it in a few days for
Gud girl.:love:

ss_de4bd1f6368c6515f4f7bc45aa12c3ad3a8996ee.1920x1080.jpg

But yes - price was a bit unexpected.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's fun so far.

• You build your main char, go around some until you find the 1st camp, then build 5 other chars. Fully customizable with the usual types of character classes.
  • You have to build doors and later ladders and other types of environmental stuff to progress in the game, you do this via a resource you get by destroying useless items
  • Pretty easy so far. You have fixed battles, some of which regenerate whenever you enter and then leave camp again, and random battles (very low encounter rate at the moment)
  • Levelling up happens pretty fast so far, you get 1 attribute point per level up (standard attributes you have in any RPG) and also skills points to level up those as well. Sorcerers/Clerics have their spells, fighters special attacks that are basically the same as spells, both use up MP
  • There's a mechanic where you main char can activate 1 of 3 effects per battle per rounds (High defense, Spells/Skills don't cost MP or high evasion, or alternatively you can recharge one of those again)
  • Per each level there's a monster that once killed activates the light on each level and supposedly lowers the encounter rate as well
  • Fixed monsters, chests, NPCs are all marked visually in the 3d view
  • You have a minimap and can open a pretty exhaustive automap, but no way to make notes (not that I have needed that so far)
  • HP, MP and so on get replenished when you enter the camp
  • No exit button from the game. Weird
  • Controls are the usual gamepad stuff you expect from a console crawler
  • Plot so far has a bit of a horror vibe (you get stuck in the Yomi dungeon, the portal doesn't work and everybody at camp 2 and your initial team got butchered by monsters)

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Found a game stopping bug, at least for me.

When you beat the first boss monster and then go back to the camp, if you show the girl the foto the game tells you it can't proceed until something is installed and the locks you in on the screen

FDYbHXBXsAI223x.jpg

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not exit button from the game. Weird
It's not that weird when you consider that the game was built for consoles where you use a dedicated button to go back to the home screen and turn off the game from there.

That makes kinda sense, but given that most ports manage to include a dedicated quit function, I assumed this one would as well

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Experience Inc frustrates me, because with their ultra easy difficulty and good art style they would be made to be babbies first blobber and draw money into the subgenre.
They are fucking retarded however and keep fucking up on the port and marketing department. Hell with how casual friendly they are all of their games should be +70% positive reviews on steam, but most are yellow like all other blobbers. Not because they filter noobs like the rest of the pack, because they have shitty ports like this, are ridiculously overpriced and sold in gay bundles.
I will wait for 50% discount or more.

I don't think either this or Dungeon Encounters will sell all that well, and while I think Mary Skelter Finale sold alright those are definitly not numbers that will push up the amount of drpgs in production either. Labyrith of Galleria has a chance to do well, from what I have heard of the changes however I do not think it well outself Refrain either. Geofront is translating Dinosaur so that might do well if the critically autistic Trails fanbase latches on to it, but who knows how long that will take.

I think it will all come down to Atlus' Etrian Odyssey team again. If they are working on a dungeon crawler again behind the scenes, as Etrian Odyssey sells consistently pretty well and EO was the game that triggered the revival of drpgs in Japan in the first place. If there is a new drpg by the EO team in the oven.
Also Cattle Call (Alliance Allive) is busy porting Demon Gaze to the West, and Cattle Call is at least known for high polish.

So the drpg god still has a few rounds in the chamber, but with so many consecutive misses sales wise the drpg might fade to obscurity again.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Pc port:
-No windows 7 support and that same missing dll is why you don't have the quit button and shit controller option.
Swith emu:
-Can play on windows xp and can use any controller,plus there is quit button.

Good job,experience.fail.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It's fun so far.

• You build your main char, go around some until you find the 1st camp, then build 5 other chars. Fully customizable with the usual types of character classes.
  • You have to build doors and later ladders and other types of environmental stuff to progress in the game, you do this via a resource you get by destroying useless items
  • Pretty easy so far. You have fixed battles, some of which regenerate whenever you enter and then leave camp again, and random battles (very low encounter rate at the moment)
  • Levelling up happens pretty fast so far, you get 1 attribute point per level up (standard attributes you have in any RPG) and also skills points to level up those as well. Sorcerers/Clerics have their spells, fighters special attacks that are basically the same as spells, both use up MP
  • There's a mechanic where you main char can activate 1 of 3 effects per battle per rounds (High defense, Spells/Skills don't cost MP or high evasion, or alternatively you can recharge one of those again)
  • Per each level there's a monster that once killed activates the light on each level and supposedly lowers the encounter rate as well
  • Fixed monsters, chests, NPCs are all marked visually in the 3d view
  • You have a minimap and can open a pretty exhaustive automap, but no way to make notes (not that I have needed that so far)
  • HP, MP and so on get replenished when you enter the camp
  • No exit button from the game. Weird
  • Controls are the usual gamepad stuff you expect from a console crawler
  • Plot so far has a bit of a horror vibe (you get stuck in the Yomi dungeon, the portal doesn't work and everybody at camp 2 and your initial team got butchered by monsters)

Any new info on the difficulty? Game otherwise sounds great. And I fucking love the art style.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Mature Rating?

Price seems steep for a short easy game. I like the map, a lot of the features but it does seem a tad steep and the gameplay looks pretty simple. .... and no GOG.

Is there an OST to listen to?

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Why in the hell even go through the effort of making a DRPG if you're going to just make it easy as fuck? I cannot fathom how a group of people who dedicate their lives to making a dungeon crawler for a year or two would be alright with illegitimatizing their game in such a way. It just boggles the mind.

Such a waste of potential.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Why in the hell even go through the effort of making a DRPG if you're going to just make it easy as fuck? I cannot fathom how a group of people who dedicate their lives to making a dungeon crawler for a year or two would be alright with illegitimatizing their game in such a way. It just boggles the mind.

Because most of their sales are from switch and that is a casual audience.
Pc barely accounts for anything.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, of course a part of me would want to concede to the fact it's all motivated by monetary concerns, but when you're dedicated to such a niche genre, you would think the passion of that would encourage a certain faithfulness to what you're creating.

That's the only place my confusion comes from.

Adenocaulon

Educated
I think there the problem may be a combination of difficulty and saving system

A difficult game with custom save, which only allows to save in town or checkpoints (with the risk of loosing your time if you die), or maybe with autosaving but with penalization (like permadeath) encourages a grindy aproach to minimize risks, so the challenge and balance is not appreciated as it should be.

If there is a difficult game but with manual saving, this allow abusing the save system. However you can try a more risky playstyle.

I have it in gog but I have not played Strangers of Swords City or other experience game yet, but as my concern is that in japanese designs difficulty usually encourages grinding instead knowing the game mechanics I do not care if the game may be easy, probably this just mean grinding will not be necessary.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Yeah, of course a part of me would want to concede to the fact it's all motivated by monetary concerns, but when you're dedicated to such a niche genre, you would think the passion of that would encourage a certain faithfulness to what you're creating.

That's the only place my confusion comes from.
Japan hasn't learned what western wargames learned.Keep the complexity up the price and don't over saturate your niche.
The niche audience has no qualms about buying 80+ dollar games if the games are interesting to them.
Japanese devs lower complexity and keep the price which is pretty stupid.At that point they might as well be making generic jrpg's.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

I think the difficulty of Stranger of Sword City started out perfect. You are vulnerable and you learn the game mechanics through experimentation and inevitable death. The game became far too easy near the middle to the end through.

How can they make a dungeon crawler easier than that? It defeats the whole purpose of the genre. it will be like making a first person shooter where you solve maths puzzles to shoot things with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom