Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Tigranes

Arcane
Focus Stim is relatively easy to make, but Trance requires bladeling eyes, and then even something like Advanced Health Hypo needs fish material (though you'd have more Adv hypos than you can ever use from shops and loot, anyway).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is the part to make night vision device (little tube with green dot) completely missing from the game? Couldn't find it anywhere during 20 levels of playthrough, only know how it looks from the wiki.

hell bovine

Arcane
For best Psi drug, Trance, you dont need fish. For 2nd best psi drug, Focus stim, you also dont need.

Didnt read any further.
For the majority of the game, sure, but for deep caverns I'd take the psi reinvigorator over both of them and that one requires fishing.

Zetor

Arcane
Is the part to make night vision device (little tube with green dot) completely missing from the game? Couldn't find it anywhere during 20 levels of playthrough, only know how it looks from the wiki.
Do you mean night vision goggles? You make those with the standard goggles blueprint.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Zetor

Arcane
Oh right. I'm fairly sure I saw a few of those in my playthrough (in DC?), but they're kinda rare. I got a NVG with 30% special attack damage bonus as loot somewhere, so didn't have to build my own...

Ziem

Arbiter
they're available in shops every now and then.
just like rapid reloaders, boot springs, special ammo blueprints, and other useful stuff, they're very rare.

do nt know if he drops it all the time but i killed virgil (the immortal in depot a) and got a sweet nv goggles and a asskicking plasma pistol

tough fight though but doable with traps; he one shots you if you let him

Gord

Arcane
I've seen the amplifier tube show up several times, also looted a few NV goggles. Since I've got the disassemble perk and they are a no-quality item, even having one was enough for me.
However, I didn't find them to be all that great. The energy consumption is horrendous and I'm not sure if they have such a big effect on to-hit chance either.
Haven't done much testing, though.

Zetor

Arcane
You definitely want to use NVG in no-light areas at least. FWIW in the last fight my crossbowman's accuracy against enemies was 40-50% -- with NVG, this jumped to 95%. It does drain batteries quick, but the fight should be over (or you should retreat to a safe spot) before that becomes a problem.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have shitton of loot stored in multiple crates since I have Arcanum-based mentality for games like that, including goggles, but I just want to make my own shit, yet game often doesn't let me. For example I want to try and make NV device with lots of capacity, maybe even pick that extra 35% perk, just to save myself from clicking on batteries hell cause I use it all the time for +chance to hit (that can be from 10 to 40% even in areas that actually look bright enough) and just to see stuff.

If only flares didn't go out after less than 10 seconds and goggles could work at least five minutes of play.
I wish game had sticky glowsticks like in Terraria that work forevah. For example it really makes fight in Coretech warehouse easy if you throw 2 lights in chokepoint - AI's sneakies just rush in, get spotted and shot by your team.
Also I'd like a scope that ignores DRAQness.

I also would like some additional grafix option in menu to turn green screen off, instead like in Baldur's Gate, enemies would be colored green/red or brightened if you activate NV, maybe usable objects too.
I turn it on and off in combat between shots because always looking on world in green triggers me and my druid-hippy eyes... and to save energy cause I don't want to go into inventory again.
...although making screen blink green doesn't make things much better too.

Oh, oh, I wish you could actually make goggles with multiple types of vision with hueg skill, with rotating lenses.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You definitely want to use NVG in no-light areas at least. FWIW in the last fight my crossbowman's accuracy against enemies was 40-50% -- with NVG, this jumped to 95%. It does drain batteries quick, but the fight should be over (or you should retreat to a safe spot) before that becomes a problem.
Yea, Nightvision is critical to have good hit chances. Stealth characters have it best here because when you start combat by pressing Enter you can switch out gear for free before you do first attack. I usually went around with my detection goggles or stealth balaclava and would switch to my smart night vision goggles before starting combat to get that bonus to damage of special attacks.

Does anyone know if light conditions also affect melee attacks?

epeli

Arcane

Probably not.
I *think* the range/light modifiers of precision work so that each tile of distance (or it could be the precise distance as float rather than # of tiles) between you and the enemy reduces your hit chance and lack of light increases the penalty per tile (the lighting is tile-based). Night vision counters this penalty completely (huge effect esp. in dark areas at long ranges) and melee doesn't have it to begin with.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Probably not.
I *think* the range/light modifiers of precision work so that each tile of distance (or it could be the precise distance as float rather than # of tiles) between you and the enemy reduces your hit chance and lack of light increases the penalty per tile (the lighting is tile-based). Night vision counters this penalty completely (huge effect esp. in dark areas at long ranges) and melee doesn't have it to begin with.
Makes sense. I noticed enemy crossbow users hit me more often when I am in melee range than away from them. Seems 10% for melee range is much less than distance+lack of light one.

epeli

Arcane
Makes sense. I noticed enemy crossbow users hit me more often when I am in melee range than away from them. Seems 10% for melee range is much less than distance+lack of light one.

That depends. There is one key difference. Precision modifiers on weapons (such as the close quarters combat penalty, damaged weapon penalty or bonus from scopes/laser sights/etc) are applied after all other modifiers. So the penalties will always apply and can't be mitigated with high weapon skill.

The darkness/distance thing plays a large role when the defender has high evasion. Otherwise high weapon skill alone will often be enough to give fairly reliably hit chance.

Coyote

Arcane
Did a bit of experimentation with traps to figure out the answer to the question I posted earlier. Here's what I learned, if anyone is curious:
  • Your skill level does continue to make a difference in the detection difficulty of your traps even when a trap shows 100% detection difficulty on mouse-over (more on that below). I expected that this would be the case, but it's good to have confirmation.
  • Based on comparing minimum detection thresholds with and without Trap Expert, detection difficulty appears to scale linearly with the Traps skill, and Trap Expert confers the same advantage to detection difficulty as having 25% more points in Traps. However, there is one important exception: if an enemy is capable of disarming a trap but should not be capable of detecting it due to the combination of your Traps skill and the Trap Expert feat, he will detect it anyway. For example, without Trap Expert the stealthed crossbow bandit on the way from SGS to Rail Crossing can disarm traps up to a skill level of 99 and detect them up to 107. If you have 96 skill and Trap Expert, he'll detect a trap upon placing it, even though its detection difficulty should be the equivalent of a trap placed with 120 skill. Never mind, this resulted from a mistake on my part.
  • Outside of combat, enemies who are capable of detecting your traps will immediately do so for any traps placed up to 10 tiles away in any direction with unobstructed line of sight.
  • Aside from that, their ability to detect your traps appears to be determined solely by skill and unaffected by distance or amount of time the trap has been placed. For example, the Faceless outside Buzzer's shop would be immediately aware of a trap I placed 8 tiles away from him at 117 skill but would never notice a trap I placed on the tile next to him at 118 skill.
  • Likewise, the type of trap you use appears to have no bearing on enemies' ability to either detect or disarm it. An enemy who can detect/disarm a standard bear trap you've placed will also be able to detect/disarm a Mk III chemical trap and vice-versa.
The one thing I'm still not sure of is what the detection difficulty percentage you see when you mouse over a trap in the inventory is supposed to convey, but now I'm thinking it might just be a relic from an older version of the game; as far as I can tell it always shows as 100% regardless of skill level or the type of trap. My guess is that at some point there was either a fixed modifier on certain types of traps to make them easier/harder to detect or a variable modifier that was based on the quality of parts used in a trap.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Did a bit of experimentation with traps to figure out the answer to the question I posted earlier. Here's what I learned, if anyone is curious:
  • However, there is one important exception: if an enemy is capable of disarming a trap but should not be capable of detecting it due to the combination of your Traps skill and the Trap Expert feat, he will detect it anyway. For example, without Trap Expert the stealthed crossbow bandit on the way from SGS to Rail Crossing can disarm traps up to a skill level of 99 and detect them up to 107. If you have 96 skill and Trap Expert, he'll detect a trap upon placing it, even though its detection difficulty should be the equivalent of a trap placed with 120 skill.
So basically - half of the feat "Trap Expert" (25% hidden bonus) is useless or even misleading?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I never had my traps disarmed. Maybe because my target priority is crossbow/psi>everyone else. I got traps to 90(120) and left there.
I rarely used them outside of combat however, if I did, I placed them far away, at a distance of sniper shot, most of the time I used Quick Tinkering to place them.

Zetor

Arcane
Easy-to-detect traps are actually beneficial when you just want to keep a (melee) enemy from approaching you -- just place a bear trap in a chokepoint and shoot stuff with impunity. How good is the trap detection of Doppelgangers, f'rex? Only issue is that enemies can notice and disarm your traps in advance when out of combat, but this is only a real problem in the lurker base.

Honestly, Trap Expert is worth it just for the quick arming time. Combined with a trapper belt and decent stealth, you can basically place traps 1-2 tiles from enemies and retreat before they detect you. Plus it makes pre-trapping an area way faster and less aggravating...

Stompa

Arcane
Honestly, Trap Expert is worth it just for the quick arming time. Combined with a trapper belt and decent stealth, you can basically place traps 1-2 tiles from enemies and retreat before they detect you. Plus it makes pre-trapping an area way faster and less aggravating...

Or you could just use Quick Tinkering. Trap Expert is worthless.

Zetor

Arcane

Or you could just use Quick Tinkering. Trap Expert is worthless.
I have a hunch that a lot of enemies would've avoided my traps in the last fight (and made things significantly tougher) if it wasn't for Trap Expert; also, Quick Tinkering is only available every 12 sec out of combat, kind of a pain if planting 5-6 traps at a time before a major encounter.

damager

Arbiter
Are the best knives in the game findable or craftable?
crafted items are way better than whatever you can find, knives aren't different in that aspect

Thank you. I heard there is a unique knife called kukri with 20% base crit, which is supposed to be the best knife in the game. Anyone know if this is true?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
  • Based on comparing minimum detection thresholds with and without Trap Expert, detection difficulty appears to scale linearly with the Traps skill, and Trap Expert confers the same advantage to detection difficulty as having 25% more points in Traps. However, there is one important exception: if an enemy is capable of disarming a trap but should not be capable of detecting it due to the combination of your Traps skill and the Trap Expert feat, he will detect it anyway. For example, without Trap Expert the stealthed crossbow bandit on the way from SGS to Rail Crossing can disarm traps up to a skill level of 99 and detect them up to 107. If you have 96 skill and Trap Expert, he'll detect a trap upon placing it, even though its detection difficulty should be the equivalent of a trap placed with 120 skill.
Trap detection does not necessarily equal general detection: http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Traps#Detection

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom