Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Fry

Arcane
It took about 10 mins of fishing to realize I never want to do it again.

But, really, complaining that a skill which is specifically dependent on your dump stat doesn't work? It's called character choice.

hell bovine

Arcane
I gather that the lingering environmental effects of some grenades (or at least gas grenades) don't initiate hostilities?
It's just gas grenades, I've already reported the bug on Underrail forums. (have to get the murderous psycho urges out of the way before the fix it :D)

epeli

Arcane
I got 22 bites, and caught 1 fish. That's a 4.5% catch rate.
It's that bad if you dump dex? :lol: now I know why some people were mad about fishing...

Now it's like 15 different fish for an important quest
Heh, that "important quest" rewards you with nothing but a fishing perk that removes the dexterity thing.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It took about 10 mins of fishing to realize I never want to do it again.

But, really, complaining that a skill which is specifically dependent on your dump stat doesn't work? It's called character choice.

There is no "Fishing" skill, and the only way to know that Dexterity affects fishing success is to check the wiki (or talk to someone who knows the game mechanics). That's not called character choice, jackass.

But more to the point, I've fished in Early Access with high-DEX characters and the success rate is still pretty bad. It's just that it's Godawful with middling or low DEX.

Yeah, it takes time to catch fish in real life. That time is filled with fun activities like relaxing, drinking beer, talking quietly with your Dad, etc. I went fishing with my Dad all the time as a kid and at no point did fishing ever make me want to commit suicide.

Heh, that "important quest" rewards you with nothing but a fishing perk that removes the dexterity thing.

Yes, I know. That's why it's so important: because the fishing minigame is stupid and tedious.

epeli

Arcane
Blaine the success rate is pretty close to 100% with high dex in my experience. Maybe your timing also affects it, and dex just modifies the time limit?

hell bovine

Arcane
Security sure seems tight around here...

a.k.a no one can fight the cheese that are fart grenades

spoiler]
lol what power is that on the 4th slot? Radical icon.
Psionic mania. Kind of fits the character :P

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, so fishing is mandatory in the endgame?

You might as well have the end boss be a giant hopper to be caught in a 50lb cage.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Wait, so fishing is mandatory in the endgame?

No, it's not mandatory, but you cannot benefit from some of the best medicines in the game without it and I have 130 Biology.

epeli Dunno man, you're the expert. I doubt timing affects it much. That certainly wasn't my experience with high DEX in Early Access, but maybe it's changed. In any event, low DEX shouldn't decrease the odds of success so drastically, period.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm going to continue to collect data while I waste huge amounts of time fishing in order to complete that quest.

Currently at 10 minutes, 40 bites, 5 fish caught. So far it's an average of 15 seconds between bites and a 12.5% success rate, or exactly 2 minutes of staring and clicking to catch one fish. I have a feeling the final figure will be between a 10-15% catch rate.

I'll do another update once I've been at it for an hour's worth of Eel Sandwiches....

epeli

Arcane
epeli Dunno man, you're the expert. I doubt timing affects it much. That certainly wasn't my experience with high DEX in Early Access, but maybe it's changed. In any event, low DEX shouldn't decrease the odds of success so drastically, period.

To be honest I haven't got a slightest clue how it works. I assumed it was mostly about timing. The dex thing I apparently got from Styg's forum post years ago. Fishing's really not my thing.

hell bovine

Arcane
We didn't start the fire...

and no, this doesn't turn them hostile either, though they do try to run away

30wb9qw.jpg

And yes, that is the same guard, he is my testing bunny. (or lab rat)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
lol Blaine stop that shit. If you try to finish the fishing quest like that you'll OCD to death. From what I've seen you only need blue eels for Advanced health hypo and Pentapuses for Psi reinvigorators. Advanced Hypos are sold in abundance after the drill quest, I'm assuming Reinvigorators are also being sold later. Can't you Just grind the fucking merchants? it will take 10% of the time you'll spend fishing.

If you really must get blue eels try the siphioner lake near junkyard, they seem to have a very high catching rate there.

Unbeliever

Learned
I am on fishing quest, have 10 dex and maybe 80% success with rod. Need only ghostface to complete tour. WHERE IS THAT DAMN FISH?!!!! :outrage:

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
Cool. So you seen my suggestion about boys and girls that take you to couple of places around bigger cities for a fee as a means of lore friendly fast travel ;)

yes i saw that suggestion, had something similar on my mind but never had the time to implement it. Will see.

Also the core city merchants and layout, you can blame it on me. Didnt think it trough, as i always try to design the hubs as real and logical possible, so from a "architecture" viewpoint it makes sense, but from a gameplay aspect that was really bad design, need to look into it later and see if there can be done something about it.

Mac_Orion Styg Drop this Dexterity requirement bullshit for fishing. It's completely and utterly retarded. The catch rate for a stare-at-the-screen-and-click fishing minigame should never be below 25%, nor should you have to wait more than 10-15 seconds between bites.

I didnt even try fishing, came late in and left that one for the other guys to test out. Also even after release on my own char didnt try it (im on my second knife/trap/crafter, started first as a brawler sledge metal armor guy, but didnt like that playstyle, as i usually am more for assassins,necromancers or mages in rpgs) Ill try it and give my feedback to styg, maybe ill share the same opinion as you.

Also one thing are empty lockers that need lockpicking or hacking, they are actually not empty only have a really low chance to spawn loot. Those really need another look into it, especially frustrating in GMS and Depot A.

How do u cook food anyways?
you cant, could be a nice blueprint, well maybe ...

In Underrail 2 you'll be able to buy golden stygian coins for real $$ to speed things up.

If styg chooses to do that ill quit my job, can aswell go work for ubisoft or activision or some other corporate scum.

Blackmill

Scholar
(Deep Caverns Spoiler Question) So, you can't

side with the Faceless in the Deep Caverns unless you haven't killed a single Faceless? I find this a bit disappointing since the two times when I did kill faceless -- Buzzer's Shop and the West Wing Scouting Part -- I left no witness. I figured as long no Faceless lived to tell their superiors I could befriend them later in the game. Is there any way to make them like me or will have to play some other character?

Nines

Learned
Also the core city merchants and layout, you can blame it on me. Didnt think it trough, as i always try to design the hubs as real and logical possible, so from a "architecture" viewpoint it makes sense, but from a gameplay aspect that was really bad design, need to look into it later and see if there can be done something about it.
If that was really necessary, you should have separated shops from the hub, rather than splitting the hub itself into so many microscopic areas. The layout is fine, in my opinion. The real problem is in loading times and amount of transitions. I hope there's something can be done about it (and I don't think fast travel will help here).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom