Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

in other poos-related news:

pa9Uo4Q.jpg

:shredder:

Lord Andre

Arcane
I had a nice experience with the "no map feature". I figured I'd take a break from the main quest and investigate some underpassages now that I can lockpick/TNT my way through earlier dead ends. Start at Blaine's shop and end up at some cannibal Lurker base. I massacre my way through half the base and I'm already at weight limit. At this point I'm ignoring anything less than 8-10k value. Push through but the weight limit is starting to piss me off as there are some components I don't wanna' throw overboard and my jew side refuses to dump the high value loot. At one point I enter a map transition from the Lurker Base and end up in Lower Underail "Surface". I have no recollection of this place but I figure if I can make a fast bee line to civilization, I can dump everything at a merchant's feet and come back to finish the Lurker Base with an empty backpack. As far as I can tell, I've been going north through the under-tunnels so the most logical thing would be to keep going south until I hit familiar territory. I get out a pen and paper so I can map my moves in order to find my way back to lurker base as fast as possible. 5 minutes and an orientation skill check later I'm back at SGS. The feelz were good.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm having a lot of fun with my psi nowadays. And now im sad that I haven't touched psi before.

Especially after getting "waking bomb", and "mass" enrage, psis fun factor multiplied by 10.

:timetoburn:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
After more than 130 hours I'm still enjoying the game a lot. The combat often being challenging but never unfair (I never screamed at the screen or ragequitted like in some other harder games which is a good sign), the addictive crafting (and I normally hate crafting, it breaks nearly every game I ever played, this here revolves around it so nothing to break) and deep char development systems are the things I like the most.
But there are also a couple of things that annoy me and imo need improvement (Styg , epeli ):

1. As I already mentioned twice: my char sometimes isn't able to engage in melee attacks. That only happens when there is some part of impassable scenery involved (walls, water surface, rocks, barrels, etc), I also think that the scenery has to create a chokepoint that's usually traversable. If I click at the enemy my char would still approach them but won't perform a melee attack.
That's a fucking huge bug if you ask me.
Also line of sight+distance lower than weapon range doesn't seem to equal being able to attack without moving.
The rathound king entangled me and kept shooting at me with his crossbow around a corner without me being able to react by using incapacitating psi attacks. Seems I had to move an inch (despite being very close to him) which I couldn't. Didn't make sense.
2. Item sorting needs to be improved. The extendable list is cumbersome, don't force unnecessary mouse clicks on us please. I still don't understand the way items are sorted btw, doesn't make much sense imo. Also please add options to sort them by value, weight etc.
3. In the same vein: When you right click on batteries in the inventory then there are 2 options, recharging the active weapon or sth else. Please remove that submenu, it just forces me to either make the same number of mouse clicks as without it (2, one for the battery and one for the main weapon) or more (3, battery, right submenu option, device I want to recharge). It's stupid and I usually use Shift to recharge weapons outside of the inventory anyway.
You could let us recharge devices that are equipped on the char by rightclicking on them on the doll instead. That's not assigned to anything right now.
4. As Blaine mentioned Riot Gear is utter crap. Specialized vests are nearly as good for melee and a lot better for everything else.
5. Blaine also asked for the option to type in a number when splitting stacks of items. I second that.
6. I still prefer the oddity system but it gets a bit demotivating if you keep finding odditied that are already maxed out. Very demotivating to be precise since some of the areas I explore atm don't lead anywhere interesting enough to justify the lack of carrot on a stick. It would help if maybe some of those maxed out oddities would still give you experience, maybe every time you find a multiple of the maximum you get 1 xp or something? The way it works now I think I'll choose the xp system on my next walkthrough. The oddity one just punishes completionists like me by letting them not get out enough in return for the additional time they put in.

And no, I won't register on Styg's forum, sorry. Hope this still reaches him.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
4. I still prefer the oddity system but it gets a bit demotivating if you keep finding odditied that are already maxed out. Very demotivating to be precise since some of the areas I explore atm don't lead anywhere interesting enough to justify the lack of carrot on a stick. It would help if maybe some of those maxed out oddities would still give you experience, maybe every time you find a multiple of the maximum you get 1 xp or something? The way it works now I think I'll choose the xp system on my next walkthrough. The oddity one just punishes completionists like me by letting them not get out enough in return for the additional time they put in.
The problem is that there are way too many oddities for 25th level character. At my end game I've had a surplus of 36 points of experience so if the level threshold was bigger I could easily reach level 26th. IMO Oddities should either be more rare or the level limit should be changed because at the end game I was wasting my time on fighting and scavenging without any gratification and what keeps me going in games like these (one of the things) is seeing a messasge that I've levelled up.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Also line of sight+distance lower than weapon range doesn't seem to equal being able to attack without moving.
The rathound king entangled me and kept shooting at me with his crossbow around a corner without me being able to react by using incapacitating psi attacks. Seems I had to move an inch (despite being very close to him) which I couldn't. Didn't make sense.
Doesn't make sense and is infuriating.
Same thing happening for a melee enemy right now:
IhU4vZg.jpg

He attacks me with his knife and I can't do shit even though I have a sledgehammer. Without Last Stand I would probably be dead even against such wimps.
Okay, thanks to crippling strike they are turning me into a wimp too atm. :(

edit: Was able to flee thanks to Last Stand. But it was close. Nice trolling, game, well played.
But seriously, would have been much easier without that positioning bug.

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
:updatedmytxt:

NotAGolfer you are playing the latest version? Styg finally found the cause of the melee bug just before release, but the fix didn't make it into initial release. It should've been fixed in one of the hotfixes.

And no problem if you can't be arsed to register. Just mention me, Styg or Mac_Orion and your post will be noticed for sure. (I just hope that the guys who came from styg's forum will keep posting their bugs there.)

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
:updatedmytxt:

NotAGolfer you are playing the latest version? Styg finally found the cause of the melee bug just before release, but the fix didn't make it into initial release. It should've been fixed in one of the hotfixes.

And no problem if you can't be arsed to register. Just mention me, Styg or Mac_Orion and your post will be noticed for sure. (I just hope that the guys who came from styg's forum will keep posting their bugs there.)
... :bounce:

It says version 1.0.0.7
Will try Steam Beta participation.

Last edited:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
IhU4vZg.jpg

He attacks me with his knife and I can't do shit even though I have a sledgehammer. Without Last Stand I would probably be dead even against such wimps.

edit: Was able to flee thanks to Last Stand. But it was close. Nice trolling, game, well played.

But in other news, if you run a knife character, you probably won't find sledgehammer dudes hard unless they sprint-adrenaline-pummel-oneshot

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Trying out a mostly-Psi guy.

8/3/3/7/10/6.

Metal armour, Juggernaut & eventually Thick Skull, otherwise Psi feats.
3 Psis, Hacking, a moderate amount of Melee / Hacking / Stealth / Intimidate, the rest on crafting.

Not really an optimal character but wanting to be the pure opposite of the stealthy sniper I played last. Working reasonably the first few levels.

You not planning to lockpick or backtrack to lockpick?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Still version 1.0.0.7 so it's definitely not fixed. Are we really talking about the same issue, epeli ? :?
As I wrote, it's not even a normal bug like an oversight or something, it's the way the game tries to reposition my char even when he doesn't need repositioning because he already is in reach. And the thing with the scenery where you can't reach the attacking position the game insists on because it's outside of the walkable part of the screen (behind collision borders or whatever).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So I freed Lurker's prisoners for nothing?!!! :0-13:

I also thought it must be some quest since it was not easy to do at level 10. Pretty cool that level of attention is paid to just some place to explore.

Well done!! I was level 13, stealth/knife/high perception build and yet had problems with two or three fights.

I made good use of the area near the security room to lure groups into traps, break LOS, etc. My dude is a stealth/knife/trap/grenade user. Definitely reloaded a few times.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
IhU4vZg.jpg

Interesting, I can't say I have experienced that bug more than once or twice in 50+ hours.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But in other news, if you run a knife character, you probably won't find sledgehammer dudes hard unless they sprint-adrenaline-pummel-oneshot

AKA almost every sledgehammer whomper in the game.

I actually don't think I've been hit by a sledgehammer even one time during my entire pure psi playthrough.

epeli

Arcane
Still version 1.0.0.7 so it's definitely not fixed. Are we really talking about the same issue, epeli ? :?

Probably not the same thing. Melee range had a positioning bug that would occasionally happen near chokepoints or otherwise tight spaces. It was hard to reproduce so it evaded fixing for a long time, but it was supposed to be fixed in 1.0.0.3.

Long ago there was another bug where you couldn't melee attack when immobilized... just like in your screenshot. Sigh. Maybe Styg should opt to improve melee NPC AI to move away after attacking an immobilized target.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
RE: That melee positioning bug: I'm not entirely sure it's a bug per se. You have to be adjacent to an enemy to attack, and as you all may have noticed, you can be "partially in" (or out) of a grid square in this game, with a fraction of 10 MP used to move fully into it.

Quite simply, you aren't fully in the adjacent square. It IS dumb though, and melee range should be like... 1.5 squares, or 1.7 or something.

I suffered from this a lot in my sledgehammer whomper playthrough.

torpid

Liturgist
I was starting to regret getting 7 dex on my sniper character but then I got quick tinkering. I can never go back to laying down traps the regular way ever again.

It's definitely THE feat for traps, much more so than Trap Expert. It's not that hard predicting the AI's behavior and baiting it into traps laid before the fight, and with enough resources you can go for the brute force approach and block an entire path, but nothing beats throwing down a trap right in front of the target. It's kinda OP really; it never fails to catch the bum-rushing melee fighters. Maybe enemies should get a bonus to detection for traps that you place when in vision (not in stealth)? Or if the high-PER enemy sniper or crossbowman detects the trap, then all enemies in the group become aware of it? That might also make Trap Expert more interesting.

ArchAngel

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
4. I still prefer the oddity system but it gets a bit demotivating if you keep finding odditied that are already maxed out. Very demotivating to be precise since some of the areas I explore atm don't lead anywhere interesting enough to justify the lack of carrot on a stick. It would help if maybe some of those maxed out oddities would still give you experience, maybe every time you find a multiple of the maximum you get 1 xp or something? The way it works now I think I'll choose the xp system on my next walkthrough. The oddity one just punishes completionists like me by letting them not get out enough in return for the additional time they put in.
The problem is that there are way too many oddities for 25th level character. At my end game I've had a surplus of 36 points of experience so if the level threshold was bigger I could easily reach level 26th. IMO Oddities should either be more rare or the level limit should be changed because at the end game I was wasting my time on fighting and scavenging without any gratification and what keeps me going in games like these (one of the things) is seeing a messasge that I've levelled up.
I don't think 36 xp more is a problem since that means you don't need to be a completionist to get to max level. Classic already levels faster, why would you want to nerf oddity system even more?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
epeli
Another issue I forgot to mention:
Enemy corpses overlay live enemies (meaning they take precedence when clicking at them).
During combat that's a problem because you sometimes have to pixelhunt for the few remaining enemy pixels that don't get overlayed if you don't want to kite them away from the pile of bodies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom