Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ArchAngel

Arcane
Careful what you wish for. Sub-forums have been created for smaller reasons.
Lol I read that as Sub-humans have been created for smaller reasons... I guess that is also true.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Also did my part to do a positive review on steam, rest of you degenerate should do the same...

I loathe to give reviews that might help any degenerate mainlander scum to make informed purchase decisions, but Underrail has managed to turn me against all the teaching of the Holy Spirit...

This here game is the incline that the RPG genre has been waiting for decades, developed by a small three person team lead by a Serbian Wizard. It throws out of the window the modern crpg trapping of using Unity, trying to be balanced in all things, having a story mode or pandering to neckbeard indie pc game fans.

Underrail uses a custom home made engine that looks glorious, sounds even better and plays on anything (even an AMD system), it features the best turn based combat system in an RPG, an unique exp system that really promotes diverse gameplay, an interesting setting reminiscent of Fallout, an extremely deep crafting system and hours upon hours of exploration.

Finally, be forewarned that this here game doesn’t sport an automap, a minimap or any kind of map... you either draw your own or print one from the wonderfully complete Underrail Wiki, better yet... come over to the RPGCodex, register an account and ask for help in one of the Underrail threads, beware of the Mods tho, they willl ask you for money and or #$%& pics.

Alfons

Prophet
UnderRail trying to cash off Undertale's success?

Trying to trick people by using a very similar name is the lowest of the low. Basically akin to those cheap Chinese knockoffs of well-known products.
The OP of that gets "The most retarded thing I read today" award.
good-job-quotes-1.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Styg any idea on what's causing the mouse lag? Does the game use a hardware cursor ?

No, it's rendered by the game at 60 FPS. Is your entire game lagging?

Nah just the mouse cursor. I'll muck around a bit and see if I can fix it. So it's a software cursor?

If so, the fact that it's a software cursor may be the problem as they tend to feel floaty/laggy as compared to a Hardware cursor. I have a 120Hz monitor so I'm limited to 60 FPS mouse feel, and that looks shit on my monitor.

Last edited:

MrJohnson

Educated
Started a stealthy thief/hacker with mechanic/electronic and guns/persuation. I usally try to avoid combat by sneaking and only use my weapons when I have to. The oddity experience system is ideal for a less-combat oriented char.
First I was sceptic about the oddity system, but having experienced it I wish more games would offer that way for character progression. I mean, it's optional, so it doesn't hurt anybody.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's a pretty unique and engaging system. I open boxes and lockers now in the hopes of finding oddities rather than junk items.

Also I really like the variety and distribution of loot. Is loot hand placed, random or procedurally placed plus a mix?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's a pretty unique and engaging system. I open boxes and lockers now in the hopes of finding oddities rather than junk items.

Also I really like the variety and distribution of loot. Is loot hand placed, random or procedurally placed plus a mix?
I think it's hand placed for the most part, at least that's the impression I get from playing.

epeli

Arcane
Is loot hand placed, random
That. Without the comma. Basically, everything has a hand-crafted random pool. Only some unique/quest items are completely static.

Randomness for replayability and the quality of hand-placed loot. Win-win combo.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Is expertise feat worth it for unarmed builds?
In my opinion, there are much more tasty feats than this. At least my build was feat-hungry, so I considered it like "first from the end of list" lol. At least not in early game.

Btw, did you guys noticed how Blaine was buffed/baffed (which is right?)? Check his shop immediately! ;)

Last edited:

Blackmill

Scholar
I've got a light-spoilerish question about some dialogue in the Junkyard

So, I asked Wyatt about how the mutations started, and turns out the man responsible was a biocorp engineer, who was pale, bald, had wires coming out of one eye, and was also a mind controller. This is a spot on description of Ezra. Anyways, I went back to SGS to speak to Ezra about the mutations but there was no dialogue option. Am I mistaken or is there really nothing to do with Wyatt's information?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've got a light-spoilerish question about some dialogue in the Junkyard

So, I asked Wyatt about how the mutations started, and turns out the man responsible was a biocorp engineer, who was pale, bald, had wires coming out of one eye, and was also a mind controller. This is a spot on description of Ezra. Anyways, I went back to SGS to speak to Ezra about the mutations but there was no dialogue option. Am I mistaken or is there really nothing to do with Wyatt's information?

My memory is foggy, and I don't want to spoil anything for you, but note that early NPCs (vague example: Gorsky) sometimes get more screen time in later stages of the game.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Hey guys small thing have any of you noticed if, ( minor spoiler below so if you are not past rail crossing don't read)
The faceless got buffed? I used to be able to shield and burst fire take out the front guard and the robot but he just kept his reflex booster on and putting out ridiculous damage to the point i just went around and did the underground way to get in, then i had to fight the faceless who refused to come up stairs at the trigger when i killed the psi guy and activated the turets so i had to go downstairs and kill one and lure the rest upstairs to kill where i had help. A real big difference where i used to be able to take all three down at once.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, fast knife/unarmed strikes also benefit greatly from Expertise for the same reason burst fire does.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like to be rewarded by using my non combat skills such like lockpicking and hacking and besides my first char is power armor clad machine gun totting tech marine but next time will take psyker-talker or sneaky rogue and for such play style the oditty system will be gods send. One thing that sucks is that steel shield you can craft to riot gear is not equitable... would love to change my load out to two pistol akimbo and then pick shield when in melee range.... Well at-least you can build your own energy shield later on. Great job on this game Styg so far its much more fun and polished than alpha I picked years ago. :incline:

Zetor

Arcane
Hey guys small thing have any of you noticed if, ( minor spoiler below so if you are not past rail crossing don't read)
The faceless got buffed? I used to be able to shield and burst fire take out the front guard and the robot but he just kept his reflex booster on and putting out ridiculous damage to the point i just went around and did the underground way to get in, then i had to fight the faceless who refused to come up stairs at the trigger when i killed the psi guy and activated the turets so i had to go downstairs and kill one and lure the rest upstairs to kill where i had help. A real big difference where i used to be able to take all three down at once.

I haven't played the game in EA, but this was probably the toughest encounter for me so far, since if any of the faceless got any face time (dohohoho) with my character, I was dead in one turn. Killing the ones inside the shop was pretty simple, though: enter via back entrance, set up some traps around the corner of the first corridor near the stairs, lure gun guy into them and make sure he dies - I used force wall to hold off the others, but just killing him before he can switch on the shield works too - then gtfo, enter via main entrance, close the door (!) and abuse LOS through the counter to kill the hammer guy + robot without getting hit.

EMP grenades are the main equalizer (they're sold by that Myles guy too), but if you can e.g. abuse LOS against a robot, you can just plink it to death anyway.

edit: in fact, LOS abuse seems to be very powerful in general for hitting immobile enemies + ranged enemies stuck behind fences and such without getting hit. Do enemies get reaction fire (or similar abilities) later?

Last edited:

Cortex_Reaver

Novice
The proper way of addressing the walking speed issue is time compression like in flight sims. Where the entire world gets sped up on demand.

If you simply add sprint or increase the player walk speed you will break the elaborate stealth mechanic. Because you will be able to just run in-between patrols unstealthed simply because the player is arbitrarily faster than the NPCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom