Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finally wasting time unloading SOME of the inventory to traders. I like how a trader wants 3 organs, I have like 20, but he doesn't want it. I sell him 3 and come back few mins later, he wants 6 organs. Such an amazing trading system, Codex is right, not retarded at all. :roll:

You can leave stashes with items on the floor in front of the traders. The items don't disappear and you can pretty much sell everything on recurrent visits.

Another hint is to level up Mercantile to max level and always sell the most expensive items first.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Finally wasting time unloading SOME of the inventory to traders.
10736.jpg

Al_Fabet.png

resemblance is uncanny :hero:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I have found the air ducts add a surprising amount to the gameplay by adding to the options in the exploration and getting around encounters. Great mechanic and worth the lack of anim.
Mutants used to have more HP and around 20% mechanical DR.
wtf, they're a massive spike in difficulty as it is imo (is depot after junkyard? Or am I forgetting a location name?)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Depot A is part of the Junkyard. There are two mutant types in Junkyard:
  • Non-Respawning - First section, less mutated, carry weapons
  • Respawning - Other sections, stuff of nightmares.

Yosharian

Arcane
So, I need a good updated build for this game. I tried doing a Psi build way back before the map update dropped, and really liked it, but I didn't understand the crafting at all. It was a Tranquility/Pyro/Metathermics build.

I'd like something that's good at talky stuff, preferably, and I'd be down to play a Psi build again as I liked the gameplay. I don't care for crafting, but I suppose I could try again.

Black Angel

Arcane
So, I need a good updated build for this game. I tried doing a Psi build way back before the map update dropped, and really liked it, but I didn't understand the crafting at all. It was a Tranquility/Pyro/Metathermics build.

I'd like something that's good at talky stuff, preferably, and I'd be down to play a Psi build again as I liked the gameplay. I don't care for crafting, but I suppose I could try again.
This is based on my last PSI-stealthy playthrough, which isn't actually full-fledged PSI because I didn't take Metathermics at all.

Iirc I had 6 AGI/10++++++WIL/6 PER/7 INT, or maybe I actually take away one extra point from WIL and put it into INT instead, I can't exactly remember. With this setup, I took Sprint to ease mobility and decent stealth, maxed Thought Control (because that's what I focused on at the time), put some decent points into Psychokinesis (to help me deal with bots), put a lot of points into Persuasion + Intimidation, took Snooping to aid my 6 PER in finding secret areas, and with that INT I took decent Mercantile + Crafting (minus Chemistry). With this build, I was stealthed ~90% of the time in hostile areas, allowing me to wipe out encounters without even giving them any chance to retaliate. The drawback is I had zero basic defense, with 3 CON AND 0 points in Dodge/Evasion, I relied solely on my armor (even though I mostly wear Rathound King's) + shield, hence why I was stealthed 90% of the time.

If you don't care about crafting, I think you can drop the INT to 6 (so you can take Premeditation feat), and put those points elsewhere. Maybe if you don't care about secret areas, you can drop those points for PER and reallocate it to CON and take Fast Metabolism and maybe even Stoicism, or if you want you can reallocate those points into DEX so you can fish decently and focus solely on Biology (or not, I haven't actually tried crafting most drugs) to get some real good drugs, and maybe Lockpicking if you care and probably Throwing. Though, maybe you don't need Throwing because, like some people mentioned before, a PSI character can substitute grenades with a well-placed Pyrokinesis and Cryokinetic Orb.

All in all, you can take your time and theorycraft builds by yourself in here http://underrail.info.tm/build/

This is a full-PSI build I'm planning to play once the Expansion is released http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQMEAwcDEAoAAAAAAAAAS0sAAEtLKEtLwofCh8KHQTw8KycOPz0qBWcuIWQcZlcK

Yosharian

Arcane

This is based on my last PSI-stealthy playthrough, which isn't actually full-fledged PSI because I didn't take Metathermics at all.

Iirc I had 6 AGI/10++++++WIL/6 PER/7 INT, or maybe I actually take away one extra point from WIL and put it into INT instead, I can't exactly remember. With this setup, I took Sprint to ease mobility and decent stealth, maxed Thought Control (because that's what I focused on at the time), put some decent points into Psychokinesis (to help me deal with bots), put a lot of points into Persuasion + Intimidation, took Snooping to aid my 6 PER in finding secret areas, and with that INT I took decent Mercantile + Crafting (minus Chemistry). With this build, I was stealthed ~90% of the time in hostile areas, allowing me to wipe out encounters without even giving them any chance to retaliate. The drawback is I had zero basic defense, with 3 CON AND 0 points in Dodge/Evasion, I relied solely on my armor (even though I mostly wear Rathound King's) + shield, hence why I was stealthed 90% of the time.

If you don't care about crafting, I think you can drop the INT to 6 (so you can take Premeditation feat), and put those points elsewhere. Maybe if you don't care about secret areas, you can drop those points for PER and reallocate it to CON and take Fast Metabolism and maybe even Stoicism, or if you want you can reallocate those points into DEX so you can fish decently and focus solely on Biology (or not, I haven't actually tried crafting most drugs) to get some real good drugs, and maybe Lockpicking if you care and probably Throwing. Though, maybe you don't need Throwing because, like some people mentioned before, a PSI character can substitute grenades with a well-placed Pyrokinesis and Cryokinetic Orb.

All in all, you can take your time and theorycraft builds by yourself in here http://underrail.info.tm/build/

This is a full-PSI build I'm planning to play once the Expansion is released http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQMEAwcDEAoAAAAAAAAAS0sAAEtLKEtLwofCh8KHQTw8KycOPz0qBWcuIWQcZlcK
Interesting, no Evasion or Dodge at all? Is that gonna work? (genuinely asking, I have no fucking clue)

You mentioned having high Perception but that build has 3, does that mean I'm giving up secrets and if so how bad is that? Bear in mind last time I played I pretty much gave up after hitting the tunnels

Why that one point into Dex?

roshan

Arcane
I have found the air ducts add a surprising amount to the gameplay by adding to the options in the exploration and getting around encounters. Great mechanic and worth the lack of anim.
Mutants used to have more HP and around 20% mechanical DR.
wtf, they're a massive spike in difficulty as it is imo (is depot after junkyard? Or am I forgetting a location name?)

I pity those who never experienced the glory of unnerfed Depot. It's actually extremely easy now, the nerfs were pretty severe.

Black Angel

Arcane
Interesting, no Evasion or Dodge at all? Is that gonna work? (genuinely asking, I have no fucking clue)
Which one, my PSI-Stealthy character or full-PSI I'm planning to play after expansion's release? If it's the former, well, I finished the game that way, and like I said, I had to rely on stealth 90% of the time and almost always be the one to initiate combat.

If you're asking for the latter, I'm planning to wear medium armor like tactical vest or riot gear, augmented by 7 CON.

You mentioned having high Perception but that build has 3, does that mean I'm giving up secrets and if so how bad is that? Bear in mind last time I played I pretty much gave up after hitting the tunnels
The build with high PER is the PSI-Stealthy character that I've had finished the game back then, while the planned build that only has 3 PER is for future playthrough.

Tbh, I guess to know if the secrets are good or not depends on you. Some people are disappointed, while I'm kind of indifferent. However, my personal opinion is that some secrets are kind of nice because it either allows you to avoid some encounter easier than just relying on stealth, ambush certain encounters from different angle, and in some certain case give you access to completely off-limit area (not gonna spoil you here, of course).

I'd say, it's better to wait for other commentaries to help you decide whether or not you'd want secrets or not.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking not getting any penalties upon my Lockpicking, but that might change. Since I haven't, I'm gonna make it clear that that planned full-PSI build of mine is going to be revised once the expansion is released, so don't use it for reference and, instead, try making your own build with that site I linked.

ortucis

Prophet
Finally wasting time unloading SOME of the inventory to traders. I like how a trader wants 3 organs, I have like 20, but he doesn't want it. I sell him 3 and come back few mins later, he wants 6 organs. Such an amazing trading system, Codex is right, not retarded at all. :roll:

You can leave stashes with items on the floor in front of the traders. The items don't disappear and you can pretty much sell everything on recurrent visits.

Another hint is to level up Mercantile to max level and always sell the most expensive items first.

I've been leveling up Mercantile already since I have no interest in Crafting at all. I've been buying shitload of ammo tbh, but cause of high gun skills I don't really waste much. On the side note, going to go back and load up on AP ammo to deal with the damn bots. So far I haven't even bothered using EMP on them, just taking them out one by one, dropping in on them through vents like it's Die Hard.

Will have to start dropping items in front of them then. I already tested this by dropping some in caves, and items were still there. But wasn't sure they would be still there indoors. Been storing items in my apartment so far.

orcinator

Liturgist
Codexers really love to complain about the most inane shit while ignoring glaring faults in games they consider classics. Open your fucking eyes, unless you're a chink you have no god damn excuse.

Just because there are worse parts doesn't mean the less bad or simply average parts can't be talked about.

I've been leveling up Mercantile already since I have no interest in Crafting at all.
All the social skills are traps, welcome to incline.

ortucis

Prophet
Codexers really love to complain about the most inane shit while ignoring glaring faults in games they consider classics. Open your fucking eyes, unless you're a chink you have no god damn excuse.

Just because there are worse parts doesn't mean the less bad or simply average parts can't be talked about.

I've been leveling up Mercantile already since I have no interest in Crafting at all.
All the social skills are traps, welcome to incline.

I only put points in Persuasion and Mercantile though. I don't like to intimidate people in games. Which means I usually end up killing them cause the speech check fails. +M

I have no interest in Crafting at all.
You should probably reconsider that. Crafted equipment is so much better than normal equipment it's not funny. It's not like it's arduous or anything, you can just go to the shops and buy everything you need to make vastly superior guns no problem.
All the social skills are traps
Mercantile's not bad. I find it's worthwhile going to 55 just so I can get better items from Blaine/the Core City faction merchants/Constantine.

ortucis

Prophet
I have no interest in Crafting at all.
You should probably reconsider that. Crafted equipment is so much better than normal equipment it's not funny. It's not like it's arduous or anything, you can just go to the shops and buy everything you need to make vastly superior guns no problem.

Not sure. To be honest now I feel like I kinda wasted 15 points in Crossbow in the beginning. Then again, I can use crossbow for darts so maybe I should start using them. Also, I haven't faced any battle that hasn't been won easily with my store bought weapons. First humans I met, I wiped them out in a few seconds too. Plus, so far I've been selling blueprints as well. Seems pointless to focus on crafting since I haven't really felt it's required for my build.

All the social skills are traps
Mercantile's not bad. I find it's worthwhile going to 55 just so I can get better items from Blaine/the Core City faction merchants/Constantine.

Yeah, if you're not doing crafting, you need to buy and sell everything at a good price. Plus, at the beginning with that old guy in the caves, I was able to use mercantile to get every reward he was offering. Seems like a pretty good skill to focus on.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Crossbows are really good. A stealthy crossbow/traps character is probably one of the most popular and powerful builds in the game. But hey, no point in forcing yourself into a certain build if it doesn't suit your playstyle. If you don't care about crafting and just want to go full-on dakka dakka, go for an AR build. You can safely turn your brain off most of the time and mow everything in front of you down.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Crossbows are really good. A stealthy crossbow/traps character is probably one of the most popular and powerful builds in the game. But hey, no point in forcing yourself into a certain build if it doesn't suit your playstyle. If you don't care about crafting and just want to go full-on dakka dakka, go for an AR build. You can safely turn your brain off most of the time and mow everything in front of you down.
Crossbow has so many interesting skills too. That was a very fun build.

I think I still enjoyed my sniper/throwing build more, just because once you get that frame that can shoot twice in a turn you just fucking destroy from the whole map away.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Crossbows are really good. A stealthy crossbow/traps character is probably one of the most popular and powerful builds in the game.
Since when? : |

IMO the most powerful builds are tin cans/PSI/high dex SMGs/snipers.
Crossbow builds get the short end of the stick, at least on hard/dominating.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Crossbows are really good. A stealthy crossbow/traps character is probably one of the most popular and powerful builds in the game.
Since when? : |

IMO the most powerful builds are tin cans/PSI/high dex SMGs/snipers.
Crossbow builds get the short end of the stick, at least on hard/dominating.
I don't know about powerful - it's a SP game so who fucking cares about balance. It's some of the most fun though.

Unarmed+TK was facerollingly easy at launch, but I think some of the unarmed skills got nerfed a bit. I end up liking builds with a ton of synergy skills though which is why Crossbows and Unarmed are two of my favorites.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Crossbows have a pretty tough early game, but once you get the right perks they become really powerful. My first playthrough of the game was a crossbow/traps build, and aside from looking up some do's and don'ts because I'm terrible at character building, I managed to dominate most encounters. I'm just relaying my personal experience here, by the way. I never bothered looking up what's considered to be the "meta" in Underrail, but I always got the impression the synergy was really powerful and I've seen a lot of people talk of doing similar builds, so I reckoned it was pretty popular too.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
For writing you have to admire Phryg's contributions. In particular the various science bits from fields including physics, medicine, you fucking name it. They actually make sense. Some are so spot-on (patient log in morgue area) it's amazing. I haven't seen anything like that in any game.

Did anyone here meet the hidden faction on the 1st playthrough without spoilers? It's like NetHack, gotta read spoilers.

Once you clock several hundred hours you'll get disappointed in builds that aren't viable for DOMINATING. And you'll use the speedhack given how many builds aren't viable after a while.

SMG without 200+ (or was it 300+?) stealth isn't viable for DOMINATING. You'll run out of ammo with no chance to restock fast enough. It doesn't matter how godly overpowered you can burst five times a round without adrenaline rush or whatever.

Borderless fullscreen support is broken for me regardless of OS version or app used for forcing borderless. If you have any ideas then please help.

In re selling: med stuff doesn't sell well. Sell electronics (!), ammo, guns and some types of armor. Repair stuff before selling if you can craft advanced repair kits. Then you can actually break the economy. You can even break the economy by adding all most expensive (though useless) mods to an item. Fill all the moddable slots. Sad but true.

In re speedhack: I never complained about Underrail's move speed on the 1st playthrough. Subsequent playthroughs and trying half dozen various builds I couldn't stand it. Never got people who complained about Diablo 1 move speed though.

In re crossbow: from my experience it's enough to make a blunder in one turn (or stealth) to get totally destroyed. Other builds are more forgiving. YMMV.

In re Tchort: Every fucking Slavic person knows the word so basically the last part of the game is spoiled for us. Maybe filthy Americans can remain unspoiled without googling the word.

Merchants refresh every 90 minutes.

Just to make it more precise, it's 90 min REAL LIFE TIME, regardless of ingame actions taken. Speedhack affects restock time as well. Same's for Foundry plates made out of money. AFK cheating this way is sort of low though, worse than plain savescumming.

Mercantile's not bad. I find it's worthwhile going to 55

Once you get to 105, things for crafters are superpowered (faction, warfare faction, hidden faction and devil worshipper shoppes). It's just the damn quality level lottery that ruins things a bit. Also see wiki page for Mercantile levels required.

Really someone complains about icons in UR? I found UR icons really distinguishable. If you dont see well, maybe its time to go to ophthalmologist.

It's about the greyed out icons in trade interface. Also note display contrast ratio and gamma. Colors aren't equal on every display. Get an actual colorimeter and then we'll talk about sight issues. I have a budget 4K and it has poor contrast ratio obviously. The game has no gamma slider but there's hella shades of blue. Blue is most badly represented on low contrast ratio displays.

Tygrende

Arbiter
SMG without 200+ (or was it 300+?) stealth isn't viable for DOMINATING. You'll run out of ammo with no chance to restock fast enough.
I disagree with both of those statements. My DOMINATING sniper had only 177 stealth by the end of the game. As for running out of ammo, even if we assume that you shoot more rounds than all the shops in the game restock every 90 minutes (which I doubt), you can still get tons with pickpocketing and reloading spent cases or you can just switch between 2 different SMGs.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
More stuff:

My first playthrough made the mistake of never buying NV goggles. Didn't know how OP they were. Always buy them and use them in each non-steamroll combat. Small bonuses add up and there are never maluses.

If there are multiple enemies and you want to burst someone in front but have poor chance to hit... burst the guy behind him, regardless of his CTH. More bullets hit the guy in front than if you did the obvious thing.

Infused leather tabi boots are sort of OP too. Infused stuff got nerfed but it's still great. You can even use shit (think cave hopper) leather w/ good plates and come out on top with 120+ quality.

It's one of these few games where crafting doesn't suck ass. Even if you min-max INT. The 7 INT bonus for power capacity is overrated so just min-max as you like.

Fucking Styg nerfed DC Faceless outpost commander mindreader. Now takes kill count into account, not just the quests.

Smart Module works for Burst despite it making no sense. Always take it into account. Especially the "smart" attachment for weapons that gives way more boost than smart goggles. Use both.

The DC endgame is totally different than anything before that. It got nerfed but that doesn't change much. The atmosphere also gets totally depressing.

There is a semi-official website DC mutagen puzzle solver. I once tried to make a solver but didn't notice that order matters. If you try to write a solver, you can 1) use depth-first search 2) prune all taken paths. This brute-force solution works as long as you prune everything. You shouldn't have to use heuristic-based pruning or optimize anything.

When a description for a feat says "bonus applied multiplicatively" for some percentage, the game means to add the values together. If you have bonuses of 20% and 45%, it means (1 + .2 + .45)%, aka 165%. The term used ingame is sort of confusing.

Questions:

Are pistols viable for the highest difficulty? If so, which ones?

Is the experimental chem pistol viable after the boot nerf?

Is AR still top-tier? Tank armor or tactical vest? I'd prefer the latter. More options. Do I need stealth for DC?

Does anyone (not savescummers) use leather armor? It has no fucking DT or DR.

Drop me some mutagen puzzle (having all components), I want to write a working solver this time.

SMG without 200+ (or was it 300+?) stealth isn't viable for DOMINATING. You'll run out of ammo with no chance to restock fast enough.
I disagree with both of those statements. My DOMINATING sniper had only 177 stealth by the end of the game. As for running out of ammo, even if we assume that you shoot more rounds than all the shops in the game restock every 90 minutes (which I doubt), you can still get tons with pickpocketing and reloading spent cases or you can just switch between 2 different SMGs.

It's about the difficulty-based DC endgame infinite respawn monsters. On the highest difficulty there's not even a delay between their respawns. Have to shoot through all the way till map exit battling the spawns. I was thinking of getting higher caliber SMGs for single-shot effectiveness or filling my carry capacity with W3C 7.62 but gave up in the end.

With 2x burst cost I could 7.62 burst 4 times if any of initial 3 bursts killed someone. Thrice if none did. No Rapid Reloader obviously since it sucks. Maybe for a Spearhead-ish AR build.

Never got into pistols except once augmenting my SMG with Critical Power-ed crafted Amplified Plasma Pistol's Aimed Shots. I ragequitted first playthrough in DC when running out of mana potions (no crafting) so I don't wanna play pure psi like everyone does now. Second playthrough was AR that was (or is still?) the most OP.

Yosharian

Arcane
Which one, my PSI-Stealthy character or full-PSI I'm planning to play after expansion's release? If it's the former, well, I finished the game that way, and like I said, I had to rely on stealth 90% of the time and almost always be the one to initiate combat.

If you're asking for the latter, I'm planning to wear medium armor like tactical vest or riot gear, augmented by 7 CON.

The build with high PER is the PSI-Stealthy character that I've had finished the game back then, while the planned build that only has 3 PER is for future playthrough.

Tbh, I guess to know if the secrets are good or not depends on you. Some people are disappointed, while I'm kind of indifferent. However, my personal opinion is that some secrets are kind of nice because it either allows you to avoid some encounter easier than just relying on stealth, ambush certain encounters from different angle, and in some certain case give you access to completely off-limit area (not gonna spoil you here, of course).

I'd say, it's better to wait for other commentaries to help you decide whether or not you'd want secrets or not.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking not getting any penalties upon my Lockpicking, but that might change. Since I haven't, I'm gonna make it clear that that planned full-PSI build of mine is going to be revised once the expansion is released, so don't use it for reference and, instead, try making your own build with that site I linked.
Ok well, it sounds like exactly the sort of build I want to play, so let me know. And yeah, I was referring to the last build you posted, the full PSI one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom