Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tygrende

Arbiter
Those lit items in your inventory? The guy gutting up the same fucking creature forever, won't buy them.
You are trying to sell a total of 9 organs even though the trading window is clearly telling you that he's willing to buy 3 at most. Have you considered, I dunno, splitting them?

Various and colorful complaints about the quality, size a visiblity of item icons
It's true that the the icons are not the greatest work of art ever made, but they are perfectly serviceable. As for their size and visibility, I really don't know what to tell you; I can recognize each and every item on your screen at first glance (didn't have any troubles when first playing the game either) and you are the first person I have ever seen that has so much problem with it. Having some trouble recognizing them at first would be understandable, but that should quickly stop being a problem as you get more familiar with the icons and if you actually bother to read their descriptions. All I can say is that you might want to consider visting an eye doctor, not even kidding.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
As for their size and visibility, I really don't know what to tell you; I can recognize each and every item on your screen at first glance (didn't have any troubles when first playing the game either) and you are the first person I have ever seen that has so much problem with it.

I'm having serious trouble recognizing items when they're darkened by the shopping window interface. Balaclava is almost indistinguishable from the background. In the end I've had to settle for Reshade with needless gamma correction.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Balaclava is almost indistinguishable from the background. In the end I've had to settle for Reshade with needless gamma correction.
It's visibly navy blue to me, but I can see how it could blend with the background. Glad you found a solution, I assume just increasing brightness didn't do the trick?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's visibly navy blue to me, but I can see how it could blend with the background. Glad you found a solution, I assume just increasing brightness didn't do the trick?

It's a bit tricky and YMMV as to what is the best solution. The underlying cause is LCD contrast ratio. My Windows gamma is somewhat around 2.1 or even 2.0, due to preferring lower screen brightness in general.

There's a reshade shader that allows for setting highlight/mid/shadow colors. With some settings it doesn't distort the aesthetics. Add another shader or two and it's real decent. But there's a problem that the reshade wrapper needs to be installed globally in the system. Underrail won't use the one in its own directory just like that. It needs to be put in "global assembly cache" in a system directory. In the end it works.

Also Styg doesn't care about 4K support, and neither does he care about zooming while playing in native resolution.

ortucis

Prophet
:rpgcodex:

Yes, if the fucking tedious trading wasn't enough, now we'll have to sit and split every item we carry to earn 20 more credits. :roll:

Maybe developer can use the magic of Photoshop to change icon colors next time, at least. And to those who can see the "red cross" clearly, your monitor has fucked up gamma. In normal gamma calibrated monitor, that shit isn't visible instantly, which is what the problem is. Shit UI.

At least rest of the game is fun. But I fucking dread trading now. PITA.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codexers really love to complain about the most inane shit while ignoring glaring faults in games they consider classics. Open your fucking eyes, unless you're a chink you have no god damn excuse.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know what? I love the game. I love the graphics. This is the first game in a while that I've honestly enjoyed. Like really, really enjoyed. In numerous ways.

Combat is top notch. The story is actually quite good in a lot of different ways. It's subtle, and pulls you in slowly. The world building is fantastic, with info dumps being few and far in between. In fact, you gleam more about the world, the purpose of Underrail, all of it, from exploring more than anything.

You see first hand the fucked up shit Old Biocorp was responsible for, these bunker labs hidden through underrail, and first you are glad that the corp burned in the aftermath of Hollow Earth. But then you stop and think 'why?'. Why did they continue with experimentation, some of it horrific and utterly cruel? What was their end goal? Did they have one or was it just some nightmare of self-perpetuation with no end in sight? Did they really care to re-populate the surface of the earth? Or by the time things came crashing to an end was it more about cruelty? The stuff they did went beyond Joseph Mengele level cruel time and again.

Learning what you learn, it's no wonder that the Dude drinks as he does and Ezra denies everything you throw at him. Though Dude probably drinks Mushroom Brew both to forget and to dampen the powerful psionic abilities he undoubtedly has. In some ways, the fact that the Wight himself is still around and actually working, serving in a station when once he was one of the top dogs, says something about his personality I think. It's a combination of hiding in plain sight and how a workhorse always works, no matter the job. Also, I remember reading in Deep Caverns that of the Apex Technocrats which acknowledged that the end was coming, he was the most hopeful for the future and for humanity. Maybe he sticks around just to see how his experiment is playing out.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codexers really love to complain about the most inane shit while ignoring glaring faults in games they consider classics. Open your fucking eyes, unless you're a chink you have no god damn excuse.

I don't think the Codex has ever stopped circlejerking Underrail about it's hilariously awful walk speed probably half the forum speedhacks to make backtracking go faster, or Age of Decadence about being a time machine from 2005

It's also just a generational thing, literal 50 year olds who played RPGs in the late 80s early 90s take their ability to use actually absurd user interfaces, terrible features etc without complaining as a point of pride, because back then those were the only games on offer and computers literally barely worked at all compared to today. Therefore they circlejerk grimoire even by any measure it's a piece of shit.

jaelkeiset

Educated
Hello, I'm a 46 year old cubejerker- And umh no, if Lands of Lore and Westwood were rising from the dead and again they'd do that past interface (Inventory management: click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-), I'd rage.

Black Angel

Arcane
I see you used your limited mental abilities to craft a strawman instead of an argument. Well you actually strengthened my argument since you yourself said you can make yourself stronger by selling stuff but don't have to since you don't need to be that strong. You also failed to realize you're just describing playing a bethgame in a time efficient manner. Bethgame would just requires you to visit one trader and dump all your (high weight to value)crap there instead of making a tour through the market(and dropping any excess stuff at their feet).
:deathclaw:

I didn't know that since I originally played the game around release (2015) and just went with cheat engine from the start in my more recent attempt. Too bad that doesn't affect all those out of combat progress bars nor the run speed.
Hey you know what genre has long progress bars fucking everywhere?
it's going to shock you
M
M
Os
cool_story_bro.png

Also, lol @ ortucis once again complaining about not being able to sell every single items he had, when the merchants clearly stated they only need a certain amount. A storyfag who's blind, what else lurks throughout the abyss of the Codex?

ortucis

Prophet
Finally wasting time unloading SOME of the inventory to traders. I like how a trader wants 3 organs, I have like 20, but he doesn't want it. I sell him 3 and come back few mins later, he wants 6 organs. Such an amazing trading system, Codex is right, not retarded at all. :roll:

On the plus side, at least combat and exploration is fun. I found the ventilation system funny. Obviously inspired from DeusEx, where a cyborg can traverse through man sized vents. But in this game, vents are hallways with enemies moving around. :lol:

amEBMXk.png

Ran into Alpha Rathound and his cronies, while casually exploring. Won the fight, barely. Then promptly bled to death cause my healing item is on cooldown and bandages don't work on less than 40% health. Reloaded and finished the same encounter with over 70% health intact.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I sell him 3 and come back few mins later, he wants 6 organs.
Merchants refresh every 90 minutes.

I found the ventilation system funny. Obviously inspired from DeusEx, where a cyborg can traverse through man sized vents. But in this game, vents are hallways with enemies moving around.
Technically everyone inside vents is crawling, it's just that making crawling sprites for everything would be a lot of work for little benefit.

ortucis

Prophet
I don't think they're crawling. Else everyone would have movement penalty and ranged users would have an advantage.

Also, this game has weird bugs not fixed. In vents, my guy just stopped attacking, despite full AP, no buffs, just refused to shoot normally or use ability. Only solution was to lure the enemy away from the buggy spot, only then everything started working properly. It has happened to me before in the caves. Luckily it doesn't break the game.

Also that game start issue where game starts in borderless window view forcing to alt+tab twice to make it go fullscreen. Weird.

Also, is there an easier way to break rocks blocking areas in caves or everywhere else? Like dynamites? Maybe we get a drill or something similar later on? I have not bothered attacking them all, but I'm guessing they lead to secret/new areas. I found secret areas cause of perception only so far.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't think they're crawling. Else everyone would have movement penalty and ranged users would have an advantage.

Also, this game has weird bugs not fixed. In vents, my guy just stopped attacking, despite full AP, no buffs, just refused to shoot normally or use ability. Only solution was to lure the enemy away from the buggy spot, only then everything started working properly. It has happened to me before in the caves. Luckily it doesn't break the game.

Also that game start issue where game starts in borderless window view forcing to alt+tab twice to make it go fullscreen. Weird.

Also, is there an easier way to break rocks blocking areas in caves or everywhere else? Like dynamites? Maybe we get a drill or something similar later on? I have not bothered attacking them all, but I'm guessing they lead to secret/new areas. I found secret areas cause of perception only so far.
When you finish Depot area you will get access to dynamite and you can break most blocked passages.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think they're crawling.
One technical limitation is that I cannot really afford to produce all the separate crawling animations for all the actions and weapon/armor variations, etc. So the character will visually appear to be standing even when inside the ventilation ducts. I think this is acceptable compromise considering how much this gameplay element will be adding to the game.

When you finish Depot area you will get access to dynamite and you can break most blocked passages.
There are also jackhammers. It's essentially a form of plot-gating, as these items don't appear until you've progressed to a certain point in the story, so don't bother looking for them just yet.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I don't think they're crawling.
One technical limitation is that I cannot really afford to produce all the separate crawling animations for all the actions and weapon/armor variations, etc. So the character will visually appear to be standing even when inside the ventilation ducts. I think this is acceptable compromise considering how much this gameplay element will be adding to the game.

There are also jackhammers. It's essentially a form of plot-gating, as these items don't appear until you've progressed to a certain point in the story, so don't bother looking for them just yet.
Through the depot is basically an extended tutorial. Which is why I loved the old difficulty spike that used to be there.

Efe

Erudite
used to be?
what changed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom