Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tigranes

Arcane
It seemed pretty meh for all the trouble went trough sneaking past the pirates. It just gave me some vision and that was all.
Where is the opening point where you can sneak into the pirate base? I'm trying to find it to make the trek to the monolith but I see nothing.

EDIT: Has anyone found the
Phantom Dancer armor
yet?

It's very confusing because pirates have numerous different encampments and the sneak route is very roundabout (like every route in this DLC).

The main pirate base with the Prof is on the south side, directly east of the Black Sea entrance, something like F3-H3 or whatever. And you have to approach it from the South side. The route I took - I don't know if there are others, but it also took me a while - involved going to something like H4 (all map codes are inexact, I'm just giving you the gist of it, basically southeast of the home base), where you can land on the north side of the zone, take out a pirate dude living in a shack with a couple of dogs or whatever it was, then on the south side you find a rickety abandoned jet ski. You can take that, and go west, and you'll end up on the waters South side of the big pirate base. There you can land, and approach.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Stupid fucking Gorsky and his team. Previously they just ignored mutants and I had to fight them alone, now they are actively fighting mutants and dying by stepping in acid puddles.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Ugh - why do I find psi builds boring? I just have so much more fun with other builds (maybe augmented by Psi at most but not focused on it).

Think I'm scrapping this build. I just don't enjoy being a cave wizard.

One thing I do love though (and one of the benefits of playing all of these different builds) is seeing how differently all of these types of builds react to different combats. What's a tough encounter for build a is a breeze for build b, but build b sucks in scenario 2 while build a just cruises through it. Honestly I still love this game so much.

Jezal_k23

Why are some things allowed to be obviously powerful, and said power is easily achieved, while others get nerf-hammered to the ground the moment someone pulls off a strong way to build it? It's a valid question I think.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why are some things allowed to be obviously powerful, and said power is easily achieved, while others get nerf-hammered to the ground the moment someone pulls off a strong way to build it? It's a valid question I think.

It's because we can't have nice things.

Spears were the one indisputably good new weapon added by the expansion, an alternative to sledgehammers that encourages use of riot armor and building for extra mobility instead of going full-blown tin can. If we nerf them, shotguns and swords will be better by comparison!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It seemed pretty meh for all the trouble went trough sneaking past the pirates. It just gave me some vision and that was all.
Where is the opening point where you can sneak into the pirate base? I'm trying to find it to make the trek to the monolith but I see nothing.

Phantom Dancer armor
yet?

It's very confusing because pirates have numerous different encampments and the sneak route is very roundabout (like every route in this DLC).

The main pirate base with the Prof is on the south side, directly east of the Black Sea entrance, something like F3-H3 or whatever. And you have to approach it from the South side. The route I took - I don't know if there are others, but it also took me a while - involved going to something like H4 (all map codes are inexact, I'm just giving you the gist of it, basically southeast of the home base), where you can land on the north side of the zone, take out a pirate dude living in a shack with a couple of dogs or whatever it was, then on the south side you find a rickety abandoned jet ski. You can take that, and go west, and you'll end up on the waters South side of the big pirate base. There you can land, and approach.
Thanks for the help brother. Managed to sneak through without killing anyone and aggroing the pirates. Not too satisfying though I must admit. I wish there was some sort of check we could pass with the monolith, or perhaps a resolution to Yngwar's story.

ciox

Liturgist
I didn't even accept the new update for Underrail for that specific reason.
het-1954.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Ugh - why do I find psi builds boring? I just have so much more fun with other builds (maybe augmented by Psi at most but not focused on it).

Because Magic is overpowered.

Dmwm.gif

I've tried to get a min-max sniper build and currently I'm rolfstomping the game.

I'm playing on Hard but look at this: they did not make it far. Saban and Dan both lived (including the plasma sentry).

ABCA1B0163711560160195A2F7B2698B496A9A34

The downside of min-max/specialization is that once the base build is done then the tactical choices start to vanish: you will do the same thing over and over until the end of the game. Maybe you will acquire new weapons but that's about it.

Basically at level 16 I have everything I need and I would go for the Expedition content but I just want to be able to craft a shitty Sniper rifle before I go there.

Black Angel

Arcane
I didn't read them all. And this isn't some raging OMG THIS GAME IS WORST EVAR - Underrail's status as one of the best CRPGs stands. As you could see, my larger point was that some of the new design decisions taken with Expeditions, in my view, don't improve on the game; the expansion tends to either just add more of what's there, or add stuff that's not awful but not really a step forward (e.g. swarms).
But weren't we talking specifically about narrative aspect of the DLC? I already gave my two cent with other design decisions, like with swarms, and I generally agree that the swarms could be toned down. Besides, more of what's good in the base game is more than welcome. And you did gave away an impression that you forced yourself to read all or most of them. So now, if you didn't read them all, how did you come into conclusion that the narrations and diary logs specifically found in the expansions are boring?
Also, now that I think about it, I couldn't really think of cases in the base game where narrations and diary logs came out as boring. Otherwise, you wouldn't go through Evelyn's diary and be rewarded with an evidence of murder, no? Also, the console in the Oculus contained most the Deep Lore™ of Underrail, and the best thing about them? They're contained specifically in that one object. It's up to you if you want to read any of them, and the game didn't force them down your throat.
And that was my POINT. All the Deep Lore™ and the diary logs are completely optional, and in the expansions, the diary logs content won't be accessible up until you REGISTER them to Seeger. Hence, my confusion of why did you concluded that the game is trying to make you, "go to ruins, find a million loredumps." I mean, the former is true, you are being told to go to ruins, but the latter isn't entirely true, because as I said, the loredumps aren't even crucial to progress. Or perhaps they adds to your paycheck, but, again, you aren't even told to read any of them. The most important piece of information you can find are just the coordinates and the info on Acorn, that's it. The rest are just fluff, and here's another thing that confused me from your stance: How many ruined compounds with super-long-winded-Pillars-style-expositions-filled diaries and logs can you stuff in the sea?
I haven't played PoE, and from the general Codex consensus (either from those who love it or hate it) I think I won't ever be. But the super-long-winded-expositions-filled diaries and logs found in the DLC are, like I said, completely optional and not crucial at all to progress.

My full post also explicitly stated that whereas the narrations and diary logs are boring, Underrail's writing has always shined in actual conversations with NPCs. Did you read the post? Because you're repeating it almost word for word.
I already pointed out that the actual mandatory big reading you had to do is in conversation with NPCs, of which I think it's done generally well and didn't bore me personally. My general objection with your post is the part where you said that the game is, somehow, forcing you to 'find million super-long-winded-Pillars-style-lore-expositions-filled diaries and logs', as if they're mandatory. When they're really not. The way I see it, you could even completely ignore all the logs, not even register them to Seeger, just find those coordinates and info on Acorn, report to Professor, and still progress the expedition and get paid.

If you one-shot the Hive you'll only face one wave of locusts, easy with cryo-orb as PSI.
Define easy, I never did more than 800 dmg to them. Need more skillpoints in 'thermics probably.
And cryorb is fairly unreliable, I cant place it in such a way where it does its max dmg.
The cryo-orb is basically a PSI-frag grenade. The closer a target to the center of its landing, the more damage they took. While I haven't managed to actually one shot hives other than planting a TNT near them (probably need to craft a buffed cryo-orb psi headband), they tend to have like below 20% HP after a well-placed cryo-orb and could be finished with even a pyrokinesis. Me, I tend to approach the hives up until the locusts spawn, then press ENTER to initiate combat.

Phantom Dancer armor
yet?
You need to finish the expedition first and get your hands on the mcguffin or deliver it to any person of interest.
Phantom Dancer armor
yet?

I have collected it but I don't remember who dropped it
Probably Aran? The katana dude who's trying to get Acorn from you in Core City
^what he said.

Thanks for the help brother. Managed to sneak through without killing anyone and aggroing the pirates. Not too satisfying though I must admit. I wish there was some sort of check we could pass with the monolith, or perhaps a resolution to Yngwar's story.
As with any Monolith in the game, both base game and the DLC, only high Will character can properly interact and pass any checks with them. The only resolution to Yngwar so far is, presumably, him shedding his Sormirbaeren's blood, reversing his transcendence and regain his humanity. Kind of disappointing, but fitting with how even the base game had a lot of rather incomplete resolution to most questlines (with the exception of Dude's, that one was pretty much satisfactory).

Or perhaps... you can find him somewhere down in Deep Caverns. Or by exploring the new water zones in the base game, since I didn't see any reason for him to stay in the Black Sea.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is a good level for the expansion? I'm about to hit level 12. Just need one more oddity.

Candide

Educated
Depends on how well your build handles larger number of enemies. If you struggle with crowd control give it some more time (my pistol guy went to expedition past level 20)

Parabalus

Arcane
If you one-shot the Hive you'll only face one wave of locusts, easy with cryo-orb as PSI.
Define easy, I never did more than 800 dmg to them. Need more skillpoints in 'thermics probably.
And cryorb is fairly unreliable, I cant place it in such a way where it does its max dmg.
The cryo-orb is basically a PSI-frag grenade. The closer a target to the center of its landing, the more damage they took. While I haven't managed to actually one shot hives other than planting a TNT near them (probably need to craft a buffed cryo-orb psi headband), they tend to have like below 20% HP after a well-placed cryo-orb and could be finished with even a pyrokinesis. Me, I tend to approach the hives up until the locusts spawn, then press ENTER to initiate combat.

Make a +50% cryo orb psi-headband and they go boom.

Black Angel

Arcane
Has anybody figured out how to overcome the strong currents in the Isaac's River? Do I need to install powerful engine for my jet ski (I have The Phaser) or do I need strong enough jet ski?

Candide

Educated
Styg now that Quick Tinkering has AP cost AND 4 turns cool down, would you consider renaming it to "Quit Tinkering!"?

Edit: it's 5 turns

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
I haven't updated from the release version, all the changes seem lackluster. Don't even use spears.

What happens if you don't help Aegis with defense? Do they just get wipe out? Would you even care if you side with the pirates?

Bergblatstein

Novice
Has anybody figured out how to overcome the strong currents in the Isaac's River? Do I need to install powerful engine for my jet ski (I have The Phaser) or do I need strong enough jet ski?

I had a theory that you need a 1000 hopper power engine to overcome current, but Ray never has that sweet 600 engine from wiki for sale. :cry:

Its probably areas to be added if the need ever arises.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom