Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Sheepherder

Augur
Did Magnar on Dominating using the new patch with the nerfed psi. Protip:
It's still OP.
Temporal Manipulation for damage. Dodge/Evasion as primary means of defense. It werks! But is not very good tbh.

Parabalus

Arcane
Did Magnar on Dominating using the new patch with the nerfed psi. Protip:
It's still OP.
Temporal Manipulation for damage. Dodge/Evasion as primary means of defense. It werks! But is not very good tbh.

Wasn't this mono-psi build buffed by the changes?

No nerfs, but you get Psycho-Neural Optimization.

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
Hmm temporal distortion can work? With the recent buff of forking to another target it might be viable.
It always worked more or less fine. It's just not particularly powerful due to the 2 turn delay. Fun to build around tho.
Wasn't this mono-psi build buffed by the changes?

No negative changes, but you get Psych-Neural Optimization.
More or less, yeah. Apart from the nerf in Psycho-temporal Contraction, which can apply a slow upon expiry. Chance is 60%-30%. But I work around that by spamming Limited Temporal Increment.
Overall the nerf isn't as big as some make it out to be. Thermodynamic Destabilization is dead, but p. much everything else is the same. Just think about what spells are needed most instead of having everything.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Couple of more points:

- finished the Arena. Yes, I was kinda overleveled for it, but it still was too easy. Carnifex was a big letdown: he died in three turns without even scratching me. For comparison, in AoD Arena champion and Widowmaker are a challenge for player of any level.
- so much stories about the coolness of Gorsky, but my first fight with him - against Black Crawlers - and the fucker dies first. Second time he survives, but kills no one. Punk with a sledgehammer killed more people in this fight than fucking Gorsky!
- joined the Protectorate, kek. Doesn't matter that I was working for Abram, or that I slaughtered the entire Zenith Warehouse, just because I recovered that lost train for Rail Crossing - I'm good. I convinced Drones to leave, made sure not to tell anyone about their involvement, but it doesn't matter.

Black Angel

Arcane
JKK are only worth for crossbow builds,
It's worth it if you invest in stealth. In all my 3 finished playthroughs, the first which was a jack-of-all-trades, while the other 2 PSI-stealth, was all JKK. Having said that, I wouldn't really know how Coretech/Praetorian would play like with stealth, because up until now I haven't finished any of the builds I made which have no stealth.

I never did the expansion, it is good?

The Expansion certainly is fun, but ends kind of abrupt, and feels abit unfinished towards the end. I loved the digging for old shit premise, but as I said it felt unfinished, too bad.
I think it's the other way around. The final dungeon of the expansion is definitely the best thing StygSoft has made by far, from boarding that submarine all the way to the 'final fight', was all very satisfying. The thing with the mcguffin, whether or not it answers questions or generates more questions than answered is up for discussion, but overall in line with how Styg do the base game, where answers most probably lies in the sequel/next expansion.

But the pacing to get there, coupled with certain design decisions like enemy encounters and enemy types, now that's fucked and messy.

Jezal_k23

- joined the Protectorate, kek. Doesn't matter that I was working for Abram, or that I slaughtered the entire Zenith Warehouse, just because I recovered that lost train for Rail Crossing - I'm good. I convinced Drones to leave, made sure not to tell anyone about their involvement, but it doesn't matter.

You actively work against and commit genocide on the Protectorate and they welcome you with open arms, while any little thing you do to upset the Free Drones locks you out of the faction.

Consequences for your actions is a thing I understand and enjoy - but that is just ridiculously inconsistent.

Parabalus

Arcane

You actively work against and commit genocide on the Protectorate and they welcome you with open arms, while any little thing you do to upset the Free Drones locks you out of the faction.

Consequences for your actions is a thing I understand and enjoy - but that is just ridiculously inconsistent.

Won't the Protectorate turn hostile if you don't clean up witnesses thoroughly?

jackofshadows

Magister
7CA0F2A8AC8BE244EAD715010E93D7CACC440949

Phew, I did it. It was so hardcore. The feeling after few hours of tries was almost like

Yes, it's just a fucking warehouse in the Core City. Thing is, I went with the Praetorian Security since I never did that and oh boy, that was a mistake. Until that point I was putting mostly in offence because I get hit very rarely. And this quest obviously has been designed for tin cans: you're basically trapped with bunch of mercenaries and they hit HARD.

These boxes... idk is it a bug or not but quite often you cannot shoot diagonally while foes can, it's annoying af.

Only after hitting 20 (!) lvl (haven't sail yet by the way and almost 90 hours in, kek) and making a proper shield with power management (not to mention premium bullets, tons of drugs and like I've said, few hours of tries) I was able to do it.

Overall, except for this little clusterfuck I love sniper on DOM so far and the difficulty on its own except for one thing: 25% sale value. It's insane: not that I desperately need money now but I'm piling it up because simply not sure how much I'd need for expansion and DC. So, roughly half of playtime I'm walking around and sell stuff. Glorious (at least my inner sperg is happy).

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Phew, I did it. It was so hardcore. The feeling after few hours of tries was almost like

Yes, it's just a fucking warehouse in the Core City. Thing is, I went with the Praetorian Security since I never did that and oh boy, that was a mistake. Until that point I was putting mostly in offence because I get hit very rarely. And this quest obviously has been designed for tin cans: you're basically trapped with bunch of mercenaries and they hit HARD.

These boxes... idk is it a bug or not but quite often you cannot shoot diagonally while foes can, it's annoying af.

Only after hitting 20 (!) lvl (haven't sail yet by the way and almost 90 hours in, kek) and making a proper shield with power management (not to mention premium bullets, tons of drugs and like I've said, few hours of tries) I was able to do it.

Overall, except for this little clusterfuck I love sniper on DOM so far and the difficulty on its own except for one thing: 25% sale value. It's insane: not that I desperately need money now but I'm piling it up because simply not sure how much I'd need for expansion and DC. So, roughly half of playtime I'm walking around and sell stuff. Glorious (at least my inner sperg is happy).

You know you can throw gas grenade near window, exit the warehouse, enter the left side, aggro enemies, and they will stand there in the gas getting killed. Even on domination i've used two gas grenades that way and they were all killed beside two-three stragglers with 10% health. Yes, its cheese, yes it could be considered exploit.

Parabalus

Arcane

You know you can throw gas grenade near window, exit the warehouse, enter the left side, aggro enemies, and they will stand there in the gas getting killed. Even on domination i've used two gas grenades that way and they were all killed beside two-three stragglers with 10% health. Yes, its cheese, yes it could be considered exploit.

Don't they disarm the gas grenades now? Or is that just out of combat?

jackofshadows

Magister
That's interesting but way too much for me. I mean, one thing is to trick robots like that one next to mysterious disc or mindless muties in Depot A but this... nah. Besides, it was more or less the way I played for the first time: sneak around/cheese/only fight when absolute necessary (not that I wasn't able to fight at all but build was mediocre + no craft gear and I enjoyed exploring/quests anyway), so the whole point to me now is to own everything, the exact opposite. I even went to kill some faceless on the arena level just to celebrate.

By the way, who buys chemical pistols, no one?
D8A74184101287831D155205CF7625CBCD53A763

Even in this thing I've barely survived their assault after the dialogue.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Don't they disarm the gas grenades now? Or is that just out of combat?

Out of combat only.

Sheepherder

Augur
I got to thinking about the new psi slots mechanic.
From I have seen so far on various forums, a lot of criticism towards the new spell slot mechanic is about how it limits gameplay freedom and encourages meta-gaming through reloading to know what spells will be needed for a combat encounter.
I think this criticism is warranted. For an experience player, choosing what spells to memorize is trivial, but for a new player who is unfamiliar with neither the combat mechanics nor the game world it is both hard and somewhat tedious.
What would you guys think of a feat which would dedicate one (or more) spell slots as permanent hot-swap slots of sorts. It would stay empty during non-combat, but once combat starts, it would allow the player to pick a spell he would be able to use for some number of turns or uses (as psi abilities have CDs of their own) at psi cost determined by the new psi cost system. After it runs out, feat ability goes on a CD. Or CD starts after activation. Speccing into feat for shorted CD or prolonged duration/more uses.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I, as a powergaymer, would not waste a feat that can be solved by a reload. A reload thats not really happening often, actually rarely.
You used to cycle what, 4 spells (before temporal)? 2 damage, wall, crowd control? And switch when? Once or twice the game?
Feat does nothing for me.

Giving noobs 1 more choice, another feat to think about is not ideal either.
Someone who is running blind could only understand the value of swtiching if he ran into some kind of a wall. Otherwise theyd spec into feats that do something.
And the game has no respec... So its waiting for next feat, at which point its a decision again.

Sheepherder

Augur
I, as a powergaymer, would not waste a feat that can be solved by a reload. A reload thats not really happening often, actually rarely.
You used to cycle what, 4 spells (before temporal)? 2 damage, wall, crowd control? And switch when? Once or twice the game?
Feat does nothing for me.

Giving noobs 1 more choice, another feat to think about is not ideal either.
Someone who is running blind could only understand the value of swtiching if he ran into some kind of a wall. Otherwise theyd spec into feats that do something.
And the game has no respec... So its waiting for next feat, at which point its a decision again.
It would have it's uses for power-gay-men too, as it would allow players to use the highly situational spells whenever necessary, instead of completely invalidating a number of spells which while inferior to others, still have their uses.
Aight, I've got a personal example. I'm running single school, tranquility, TM wizard. I have 6 slots and they all are filled with spells I need in 100% of the fights. Temporary Rewind is NOT one of those spells. However, from time to time, I would be happy to be able to use Temporary Rewind when a health hypo is on CD and my Tranquility is no longer active.

Good point tho, the noobs might not pick it as there's shinier stuff out there.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Cool, now I locked out of "Meet Azif" quest. Why? At first, I thought it was because of Foundry: Todor talks too much, he's a liability, and I covered him for Everard. Makes sense. Is it? No, it's because of:

"If told that the player came to investigate the drug, Meet Azif will not trigger even if the subsequent persuasion check has been passed!"

This is some Sierra quest design here, no less.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, was it too hard to use, if PASSED THE CHECK set.activeQuests(Meet Azif); ?

Sheepherder

Augur
Aaaand finished. Single school, TM only wizard with dodge/evasion on Dominating.
Dodge/Evasion CAN work on Dominating, just not very well. Temporal Manipulation only is perfectly viable too.
Big-T killed in two turns as Temporal Distortion deals damage after two turns.
8MMtFl7.jpg
Faceless Commander on second try. The gaunt forgot he was in a fight and was chillin' near the entrance.
7Ji96H2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom