Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

The AP return is called at 20, so it doesn't incentivize 12.7mm Corsair either, just pure nerfs.

This is what I don't get Styg. Why bother nerfing like this in a single player game? Should've communicated more about your intent so at least we can understand where you are coming from.
Spearhead got nerfed, but the rest of the rifles got better since shooting spree got its new ability (and that's a buff to spearhead too so it got a buff as well as a nerf). I haven't played around with it so I have no idea if sniper rifles are stronger or weaker overall, but they did at least get something.

jackofshadows

Magister
4 Naga vs melee was indeed impressive but also a good illustration why TM is OP and Contraction in particular (obviously). Nerf in moar, nerf it to the ground, Styg!
Spearhead got nerfed
My detailed feedback incoming after I finally finish the damn game but I can tell you that it is still the best rifle thanks to only -15% move and shoot precision adjustment and lowest AP on shot anyway. Extremely versatile and low damage is not a problem after a certain point. You can always carry around some extra big ass calibre rifle in case you cannot one-shot something with spearhead.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
A little post about my AR progression.

I started with 8.6 Marauder that I got from helpful lurkers in undertunnels, and this thing got my build rolling. Then I got myself a 7.62 Marauder as a sidearm, and with such ammo setup I went through the entire game (still not finished, this game is fucking huge and I'm not in a hurry). For 7.62 I kept Marauder, only updating quality and upgrades. For 8.6 I chose Huszar for it has the biggest upper damage. I thought about switching 7.62 to Hornet and 8.6 to Chimera, but found it unwarranted. Hornet has better accuracy, but less damage. Chimera doesn't look any better than my Huszar: damage is lower, AP consumption is the same, with just a critical bonus. Am I missing something here?

Joining Protectorate was a good choice after all (not that I had any choice, but still). This way I got to kill Kokoshka - sorry bre, nothing personal, but I really need that AK you have. AK has average stats, but the simple fact that it has infinite durability makes it absolutely necessary.

Goromorg

Savant
Joining Protectorate was a good choice after all (not that I had any choice, but still). This way I got to kill Kokoshka - sorry bre, nothing personal, but I really need that AK you have. AK has average stats, but the simple fact that it has infinite durability makes it absolutely necessary.
:killit:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Durability is an easily manageable thing tbh.
How so? Thing is, my Huszar has ~2200 durability. One short fight leaves me with 1700-1800, medium with 1200-1300 and in long-ass endurance tests I ran out of durability faster than I ran out of ammo. Shit, I never ran out of ammo, but often was short on repair kits, especially if I fighting critters.

For example, I went to Horticulture with 1k 8.6 rounds, 1k 7.62 rounds and 18 repair kits: 18 advanced kits have the weight of 36 whatever units Underrail is using, so it's close to the weight of ~800 rounds. By the end of it I had 600 rounds of each caliber, but no kits, so I was relying on AK lately that day. (I'm not even talking about bladelings waves in Foundry: this cost me ~3000 durability).

Then I killed pirates and made myself enough kits.
- Charname, why have you killed all these people? There's corpses everywhere, this is a fucking slaughter!
- Eh, I just needed scrap metal to make myself more repair kits.

Am I missing something here?
Hornet is nice because rapid 7.62 hornet only takes 27 AP per burst. With the commando spec that refunds AP for burst kills that means you can burst three times in a single turn. Other ARs can't do that without using adrenaline/contraction.
Chimera is just there if you have good crit chance. If you do then it's the obvious choice. If you don't then it's obviously not.
Durability is an easily manageable thing tbh.
It's gotten more annoying since Styg made repair kits heavier/harder to make. And now he's given durability to psi too. It's like he wants to the game to be irritating.

Sheepherder

Augur
that 4 nagas on dom in melee was impressive, ran away only once, nice
Well, running away is the main form of defense of this build, it has over 150 MP. Running away only once means that I failed to properly employ the builds capabilities :D

Paid Fort Apogee a visit. Protectorate is so much better than the Free Drones, even killing them is more fun.
IkqIV1i.jpg
SAIhWu8.jpg

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It's like he wants to the game to be irritating.
Again, it's not like I dislike the game, Underrail is really that awesome, but this little issues are like lumps in semolina porridge - while everything is great, this little wankers are really annoying. Irritating, as you say.

Like, I'm exploring all this Lemurian facilities, and here game gives me some really thick Arcanum vibes - Vendigroth, anyone? And Medical Center - this is how you make some creepy shit in CRPG. Excellent storytelling in Underrail - who would expect this from a combatfag heaven like this? Decent writing, no loredumps, information is given to you by bits, keeping the suspense - and all of this on top of the [[[almost]]] flawless combat system.

Sheepherder

Augur
It's like he wants to the game to be irritating.
Again, it's not like I dislike the game, Underrail is really that awesome, but this little issues are like lumps in semolina porridge - while everything is great, this little wankers are really annoying. Irritating, as you say.

Like, I'm exploring all this Lemurian facilities, and here game gives me some really thick Arcanum vibes - Vendigroth, anyone? And Medical Center - this is how you make some creepy shit in CRPG. Excellent storytelling in Underrail - who would expect this from a combatfag heaven like this? Decent writing, no loredumps, information is given to you by bits, keeping the suspense - and all of this on top of the [[[almost]]] flawless combat system.
In the Medical Center, after dealing with the doctor, if you go check out the remains of the robots you fought, you'll see that they're actually human skeletons. That's a very neat little detail that's easy to miss.

ciox

Liturgist
This is how disgustingly OP psion was before nerfs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3qr3AyIzs

Why exactly?
He doesn't look to use more than 8 powers, nor cast many times such that he'd use more than max psi reserve, let alone with the +30% reserve feat.
It's a video with someone using an extremely risky gimmick build where all the lucky crits line up, to show the big numbers, while using a shield emitter with 10,000 health points as a crutch. Same type of flashy setup that led to other nerfs.
Also his main damage dealer in this pre-DLC fight is Electrokinesis, with later updates it can be buffed with magnifying neuroscopic filters and tesla armor to deal up to 60-70% more damage than it used to do in early 2018.

It's going to be a close fight either way and only the shield really holds it together. Honestly, Psi nerf fans are putting on a brave face now, but they will stop laughing when the shield nerfs cometh.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
You have two options, either go for crits (was always viable with Steel Cat/Chimera) which has more options now, or go specialize every feat that helps bullet damage and fits your build, panhandling for extra damage bonuses from Full Auto, Opportunist, Blindsiding, Gun Nut, begging for more AP from Commando and Blitz, etc.

I remember a time when we had both at once:negative:

Tygrende

Arbiter
Spearhead got nerfed
My detailed feedback incoming after I finally finish the damn game but I can tell you that it is still the best rifle thanks to only -15% move and shoot precision adjustment and lowest AP on shot anyway. Extremely versatile and low damage is not a problem after a certain point. You can always carry around some extra big ass calibre rifle in case you cannot one-shot something with spearhead.
This is how I see it as well. Spearhead is still the overall best sniper rifle by the virtue of having no move and shoot penalty with Strafe alone. The AP refund from a rapid reloader ranges from 10 to 20, so ideally you would want a rifle that costs 30 AP or less to shoot for a guaranteed bonus shot. The only rifles with an AP cost like this, other than Dragunov, are rapid spearhead, 7.62 rapid corsair or 7.62 rapid reaper. Corsair is objectively inferior to all other frames and only ever useful in the beginning when there's nothing else available. The only thing reaper has going on for it is 25% more crit damage, but sniper rifles are hardly hurting for damage, even after the Critical Power nerf. Definitely not at the cost of not being able to move and shoot with no penalty. Bigger sniper rifles might still have some niche uses like 1-shoting bosses on DOMINATING, but that's it really.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bigger sniper rifles might still have some niche uses like 1-shoting bosses on DOMINATING, but that's it really.
That's pretty much what they're for. I'll keep a Big Sniper in my off hand for those hard to kill enemies, or sometimes I'll switch to them if I'm dealing with enemies with really high Mechanical Resistance and want to just be able to one tap them without using abilities.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Alright so I glanced at the PSI changes.
RIP Force Field.
You now have to "innervate" psi abilities that you plan to use and you're limited in the number of innervated psi slots (1 + 1 per 3 intelligence, up to maximum of 6). Existing psi characters can use Will stat instead for the number of slots with some downsides, or they can opt to switch to Int by consuming a pill that's been subtly slipped into their pockets.
PSI users are cave wizards now, even more so than before.
Enrage is heavily nerfed, but still OP combined with Locust of Control.
Locus Of Control - Change AoE radius to 2 (down from 3)
Fuck
Psycho-temporal contraction now has a high chance of causing its opposite (with randomized power) when it expires
So psycho-temporal contraction is just PSI adrenaline shot now.
That's pretty bad.
I'd say for the most part, this actually hurt hybrid PSI builds more than pure PSI.

I'll roll a 4 ap puncher to see if contraction still holds up.

Critical Power - Base bonus changed to 1% (down from 1.5%) and spec bonus changed to 0.1% (down from 0.15%); I'm not happy with this feat in general. Straight unconditional passive damage boost feats is something I'm going to avoid in the future for sure
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING STYG GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I need to use my two lenses to tap into the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom...

I am playing Underrail for the first time. Technically second time, I played a psi monk five years ago to Depot A and got bored. I used Oddity back then, which I liked. I am using a more or less optimal SMG build just to 'learn' the maps and the game now, for a smooth experience, on Normal, figuring I can try the harder modes after I know where everything is.

I am level 11, due to exploring literally everywhere but the Depot A, and now doing it, on Classic experience mode.

Here's my question:

How the fuck do I manage loot?
I have a lifting belt, I have Pack Rat, and I have only 3 STR, fair enough, but no matter. I've been dumping expensive (3000+) guns and armors in a dumpster in Junkyard but for God's sake, the merchants never have enough coins to buy shit. Am I not supposed to be looting everyone? It goes against all my instincts not to haul every nail and rivet from my enemies to try and vend that shit, but even with recycling everything <3000 value, that dumpster is full of 10+ guns and that many armors and high-value components I don't want or need.

How do you manage loot? This is gonna drive me nuts.
I remember that in Fallout 1 and 2, I traded for Stimpacks when vendors were out of gold. What's the go-to 'lightweight' trade good I can trade for in Underrail, so I am not stuck waiting ten hours for the vendors to restock?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Just pick up the expensive stuff. Before you didn't even have anywhere to spend all the cash you'd get
apart from the house in core city and jet skis
On Normal you'll be swimming in cash so it doesn't really matter. Hard and dominating impose stricter selling prices to merchants.
If you really want to be a pack rat(hound) like me, you can pick up all the loot and leave them near fast travel points. Be it the train, ferrymen or
the fast travel points you get from the dude's quest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom