Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Sheepherder

Augur
Aaaand done. Again.
This time a max STR, no crit hammer ninja on Dominating. Up to 7 swings a turn and 150+ movement points. Balor's Hammer so good, it doesn't need crits.

Tchort. 1 turn kill. Now with video. Short and sweet.
QXh3wh8.jpg

Faceless commander. As always, first try got cut short by a trap I forgot about.
N7oPFEo.jpg

Sheepherder
What were your starting stats? Your build looks fun! Are you using heavy armor?
It is fun. Very smooth to play too, as far as glass cannons go. I'm not using heavy armor, instead I'm wearing Rathound Regalia for the +1 STR.
Here's the build: https://underrail.info/build/?HhADC...0mEsKHR8KIPxMqPMKFwoHCtsKm4qOTBeKnlgXisaAF378
I put every point into STR on level up. Lvl 30 feat is w/e. I took Paranoia.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Phew, run has been so long that I can't even beleive it's over :D Hitting level cup with oddity is a proper challenge, probably never again.

What can I say, hybrid stealthy sniper is preeeeetty strong. And I'm sure that no matter whatever builds I'll try later more or less this one will remain my favorite (not implying it's the strongest, more matter of preference). Early game is a bit rough but that's the biggest challenge, really. Took both perks for contraction and 20 AP 30 MP for 3 turns is kinda insane. Add to that tons of free AP from killing spree and rapid loader, adrenalin and once tight vanilla AP balance is completely ruined.

Fun thing about the map: whilist it's extremely useful I'm not sure it's 100% positive change for the game. Looking for Protectorate's expedition were much more memorable trip back then and DC were more terrifying. However, I gotta say I like DC a lot, it's a very well done end game challenge imho, just not sure about power distribution - kinda superfluos backtracking.
5BA1DF3D54B1C969E96F2125B59D73448DC79F8B

No fucking shit, girl, I wonder why?
BA9712F9715EE00E5006C7551F2C5A3794F4DDD7

I should've pay a visit to them sooner...
399F145FAC82A614B29399E7386A760E8C6C3E7D

This fucking quest... I should've just reload and stash equipment but nah, went to "proper" way, ended up with trip for back up gear in order to clear the first floor anyway.
318ABF6703E9FED09743E4F36CF260B66116D7B0

Poor "Big T"
F2AC8FC1B6844871043D6065640D3B21916A2D31

At least had some fun with the Faceless

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
Damn, I don't want to fight The Faceless. I kinda like this guys, so I befriended them. Do they differ much from the other folk, combat wise?
Having them as enemies make going to and from arke power station in DC a real pita. But the Faceless Commander fight right after defeating Tchort is really fun. And as it's the end of the game, it doesn't really matter if you anger them.

jackofshadows

Magister
You don't have to, it's entirely optional. I just killed them for killing sake. You know, like with the Oil Rig from F2. They differ a bit but not much.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Spoilers about Katya ahead
Anyone knows how to resolve that "frozen guy" issue? Seems she won't talk to player char after discovering that body. Anything you can do beside reloading?

jackofshadows

Magister
Forgot to tell you about my biggest and basically, my only gripe about playing as a sniper: range of sight.

I mean, I'm a sniper. I have a super-duper high-tech night-vision googles and some menu says that my perseption stat is very high. And yet some miserable unwashed yokel shooting at me with a crossbow while I can't even see him (say, during camp defence)! That is FUCKING BULLSHIT, alright? Every time bolt was hitting my shield from darkness I was pissed.
:butthurt:
I get that Underrail is a dark place so it's fine that cases where you can properly take advantage of rifle's max shooting range are quite rare but aforementioned situation is too silly. I think either googles or ultra-high perseption should give few extra points of sight, not the other fucking way around even on DOM!

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Forgot to tell you about my biggest and basically, my only gripe about playing as a sniper: range of sight.

I mean, I'm a sniper. I have a super-duper high-tech night-vision googles and some menu says that my perseption stat is very high. And yet some miserable unwashed yokel shooting at me with a crossbow while I can't even see him (say, during camp defence)! That is FUCKING BULLSHIT, alright? Every time bolt was hitting my shield from darkness I was pissed.
:butthurt:
I get that Underrail is a dark place so it's fine that cases where you can properly take advantage of rifle's max shooting range are quite rare but aforementioned situation is too silly. I think either googles or ultra-high perseption should give few extra points of sight, not the other fucking way around even on DOM!

That's because AI has unlimited viewing range, as opposed to player. It sucks,but it was styg decision.

Jezal_k23

Urge to replay every time I come into this thread and builds are discussed. I just keep itching to try out a new build.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
I have my save files from when I got into the Lowerdark but they don't work with the game now?

This was a pirated version. I then squared up and brought the thing and the expansion. Do I have to do a whole new run or can I somehow translate my old files to the modern gog version?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fastest hammer in the south.
This build is insane what the fuck. Please drop a build link, are you using Balor's hammer for this fight?

EDIT: Just saw your links, thanks brother, you're a legend. How do you make Balor's Hammer work early game when you're Str is super low? Do you not use it? And are you just walking around with 18 Str, Regalia, and Rathound Barbecue on at all times once you hit 26?

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
The fastest hammer in the south.
This build is insane what the fuck. Please drop a build link, are you using Balor's hammer for this fight?

EDIT: Just saw your links, thanks brother, you're a legend. How do you make Balor's Hammer work early game when you're Str is super low? Do you not use it? And are you just walking around with 18 Str, Regalia, and Rathound Barbecue on at all times once you hit 26?
No Balor's for me until level 20. At level 20 I'm at 15 base STR, +1 from rat fursuit, +1 from rat barbecue, +2 from adrenaline. A lot of fights are over before adrenaline runs out, but if they don't, I switch to a regular hammer.
You can get very high quality hammers from Constantine with 95 Mercantile. I bought a steel hammer that was much better than any tungsten hammer that I could craft at the time.

Falksi

Arcane
Please rename the thread title. This game is far too good to be associated with the wank that is Star Wars: The Farce Awankens

jackofshadows

Magister
Constantine, Praetorian guard, coretech, protectorate, and efreitor hanna[?] has the best quality items with unlocked mercantile.
From my recent experience: Constantine, Protectorate, Hanna. That's it. Praetorian vendor turned out to be worthless, maybe just got unlucky, dunno. Also have seen few decent (140+) plasma cores at Buzzer shop.
I wouldn't bother to outstealth/outdetect crawlers on dominating. Its futile.
Definitely possible with NV googles/detection and 200+ stealth. But you have to have foreknowledge and actually turn googles on, yeah.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Finally finished Expedition. Fuck my donkey, Abyssal Station is awesome. I was expecting another trashmob slaughter, but it has none. The atmosphere is so thick there that you can cut it with the shiv.

Todd is one of the best written NPCs in the RPG history, fight me. Yeah, Shutter Island influence is kinda obvious, but there's nothing wrong with that; quite the opposite, it shows you how to use your inspirations and create something new.

Now it's only Deep Caverns left and I'm done. And then - Dominating. Time to join the club.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, Todd is suprisingly well written in my opinion, too. First I thought it's pretentious writing and ended up killing him (after failed at posing as a "new Lemurian"). But it was 5 am so next morning I reloaded and properly interacted with him.

Also, as you said before, Abyssal Station as well as pretty much every other Lemurian site is giving incredibly strong Arcanum vibes, I was amazed.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
How would you rate Expedition?
I will rate it... highly.

My biggest grip with Expedition is its combat design. Expedition is jam-packed with combat, and I see that Styg tried to came up with varied types of enemies, but most of them are annoying in some way or tedious.

Tribals are fun to fight. They have a lot of types, they overwhelm and try to fuck you in different ways. Nagas are awesome. But the rest is mostly critters and robots, and they are mostly boring. Not only that, they also have some annoying gimmicks. Sea-snakes have this heartbreaker poison and rusting acid, crabs daze you, spiders fix you in place, locusts can fuck off and die.

In my opinion, less critters would have been better. Add more varieties to robots (like, strongmen using some weapons instead of just throwing shit at you. For example, wielding strongmen dealing fire damage, cutter-strongmen with laser cutters, and such), add one more humanoid faction (like, survived deranged Lemurian mutants) and combat would have been way better.

Everything else is from good to awesome. Visuals, dialogues, lore, characters, locations, etc. Good stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom