Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Jason Liang

Arcane
I guess my issues are I shouldn't have to gimp my character on purpose for the game to be satisfying on DOMINATING, it should be challenging on its own. And the second issue is that the system is still gun combat without cover mechanics. There's line of sight but that doesn't replace cover. So tactics are pretty straight forward and obvious, i.e. use doors and chokepoints are sort of the simplest tactics. PSI has too many tools and LoC is ridiculous. I've cleared every screen in Upper Underrail, Lower Underrail, Passages and Upper Caves of hostiles already.

Underrail isn't a combat game. It's an exploration game mostly.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Jason Liang, sorry but this build doesn't look strong at all. You might think its strong because you haven't even hit end game content. You have no tailoring, so no crafted super steel infused armor,poor mechanics[no crafted knives either], you have poor stealth and to get it to 150 you need to wear crafted shit[and you sacrify other upgrades for stealth] which you don't have, you have low biology so no focus stim, or other psi improving stims. Melee gets weak in expedition, and your char is not really focused on melee nor on psi. If you find dominating easy on this build, you either use liberal amount of traps, or...lying.

Calcium

Educated
Has anyone tried beating this game with the lowest character level on DOMINATING oddity mode?
there are only 3 hard spots really, eye, depot a and 4 nagas in expedition. WHat do you mean by lowest character lvl?

ive just had water plant quest for first time. Got a ring but cant seem to be able to learn more about it. Wiki says to go to chester but he isnt very talkative

First you're supposed to investigate the corpse at SGS medical and talk to Pasquale about it. The quest bugged for me though and the corpse never showed up.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Jason Liang, sorry but this build doesn't look strong at all. You might think its strong because you haven't even hit end game content. You have no tailoring, so no crafted super steel infused armor,poor mechanics[no crafted knives either], you have poor stealth and to get it to 150 you need to wear crafted shit[and you sacrify other upgrades for stealth] which you don't have, you have low biology so no focus stim, or other psi improving stims. Melee gets weak in expedition, and your char is not really focused on melee nor on psi. If you find dominating easy on this build, you either use liberal amount of traps, or...lying.
Constantine sold me a really nice knife (about 140q) and I haven't needed armor at all. Nor do I need much stealth anymore. Constantine also sold me Ninja tabis with around 45 stealth. But I don't really melee much, I crafted a nice amplified laser pistol and mostly cc with thought control.

Trash Player

Scholar

ciox

Liturgist
And what game doesn't crumble under this type of pressure? Fallout 2 can be completed without levelling up. Fallout 1 at less than 6. Speedrunners can run almost any game and turn it into a single gaming session.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Enemies feel samey because they behave similarly in effect and do not alter the player's behavior by large. Dominating, like a lot of veteran players said before, isn't really more than metagame harder at best. Pretty much any reasonable degree of optimization can trivialize all content without resorting to trap spam. The lowest character level to finish the game on Dominating is 6, liberally using traps and packing an AR. Plenty of exploits but not Psi.
Thanks, nice read. I did Lunatic Mall around lvl 8 but had to restealth a lot and abuse telekinetic imprint. It was pretty fun carnage! Was also the first time I found melee to be invaluable.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guys what's a good build that doesn't require crafting?

My first character was a fully armored hammerer and I didn't use anycrafting. Second one was a sneaky knifer and didn't craft anything with that either. Finished game with both.
Though those were created at release, dunno how well they operate now.

Yosharian

Arcane
Guys what's a good build that doesn't require crafting?

My first character was a fully armored hammerer and I didn't use anycrafting. Second one was a sneaky knifer and didn't craft anything with that either. Finished game with both.
Though those were created at release, dunno how well they operate now.
Thanks but I'm looking for a detailed build that's up to date with the latest version

hell bovine

Arcane
im past that. For me it was:

1. security boss at cave exit tells me about a corpse to which you can only reply i dont care
2. go to medical wing, speak with pasquale, get permission, inspect corpse
3. go back to pasquale, imply need to talk with sec boss again
4. sec boss tells you about mushroom cave
5. find the place, obtain the ring

and now... im stuck cant find anyone in SGS nor junkyard to talk to about this ring. Chester is by the bar indeed but I cant talk to him about the ring
https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mushroom_Cove_scavenger

either its bugged, some step is missing in wiki or extra step was added
You need to talk to the doc at sgs again. He'll refer you to Chester, who then gets talkative.

Btw, if you get the psi dungeon and kill mr dom without killing anyone else, later the guy at junkyard bar will tell you how some people came by with a story how they were rescued from a psychotic cave wizard. It was a nice touch, imo.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Better question though, what are you going to do with all those skill points?
Dunno, I figured there might be a build that's skillpoint-heavy that doesn't use crafting
You get a ton of skill points and several skills are junk or quality of life only.

I'd say the only builds that *need* some crafting are crit crossbow, energy pistol or chem pistol. Although most builds benefit from crafting, including rifles and smgs. A strength build with sledgehammer might want to craft a set of metal armor. You can buy very nice stuff from traders later in the game, crafting just lets you have some exclusive modifiers like +crit damage or psi mufflers to psi headbands.

Sword has one of the better uniques, Red Dragon, but it has a 6 INT requirement as well as 6 DEX for the sword feats, 6 AGI if you want to pair it with the Phantom Dancer armor, and 7 STR to take Decapitate.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Btw, if you get the psi dungeon and kill mr dom without killing anyone else, later the guy at junkyard bar will tell you how some people came by with a story how they were rescued from a psychotic cave wizard. It was a nice touch, imo.
Ahh, I suspected that this will happen, but restraining myself from killing those guys is hard at early levels.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom